• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

28wqkPz.png

hqdefault.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
then you phone will constantly flush photos and videos and reload them when you wanna look / send / work with them, consuming valuable mobile data

Is this type of "forced" data usage typical? I've never had an iphone before, but given that my 5-year old Galaxy S3 is on its last legs, I've been considering switching from dirt cheap Virgin Mobile to Sprint or whatever. I never use data - like, my monthly data use is under 300mb every month - and would want to sign up under the lowest possible data plan rather than paying extra for some unlimited thing I'd never make use of. My bf's phone is always trying to update things to his cloud(?) and his data use is massive. Can that kind of crap be turned off?

Fliesen

Is this type of "forced" data usage typical? I've never had an iphone before, but given that my 5-year old Galaxy S3 is on its last legs, I've been considering switching from dirt cheap Virgin Mobile to Sprint or whatever. I never use data - like, my monthly data use is under 300mb every month - and would want to sign up under the lowest possible data plan rather than paying extra for some unlimited thing I'd never make use of. My bf's phone is always trying to update things to his cloud(?) and his data use is massive. Can that kind of crap be turned off?

let me clarify:

If your iCloud photo library is BIGGER than your phone's storage, your iPhone will mostly store lower quality versions of the pics / videos on your device and only, once you try to access (view, import to an app, share) said photo / video download the full-res version.
It doesn't just do so in the background willy-nilly.

it only does the uploading to iCloud when you're on wifi, btw.

it's not about all at once. Still - some people prefer to pay a little bit extra (what's 100 bucks over 2 years, anyways) for that peace of mind not to ever run into a situation where they're stuck in the middle of nowhere not having access to a certain song / video / photo / movie.

Yeah definitely, I don't even use Cloud services, I always just get more physical storage.

*Username quote*

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
This post is sassy and not understanding but I genuinely hope someone slaps me with a good storage breakdown:

256GB honestly sounds like a marker of an inefficient or resistant person who hates deleting their dozens of unused apps they might need one day and likes downloading all their movies 'just in case' and won't use clouds
You're onto something. I hate deleting games from my library, but have recently been forced to do so. I have 128GB phone. It feels bad that I have to delete actually really good games, but I've played them and probably won't be playing them again soon. It's kind of scary that I already have to delete stuff from a 128GB phone though.

Jarsonot

Just got my matte black 128gb 7. Finish feels really good, almost want to leave it naked.

Now for the five hours of restoring all my apps

mine is estimating 2 hours... I don't have any fingernails left!

Quoting myself, but just letting y'all know the initial estimate was high. Was on 2 hours for a few minutes before dropping down to 48 minutes, and is currently 17 minutes.

Edit again: went from 17 minutes to 4, haha. So yeah, your backup might very well be quicker than you think.

I just got back with mine, 32gb Silver regular size with midnight blue leather case. Pretty pleased with it so far. Whilst the static home button is unusual, it is pretty awesome how easy it is to double click it, hell I can spam the shit out of it without feeling worried about killing it.

Also, from this is my first Apple leather case and I am pretty surprised how slippy it feels. I am hoping it gets a bit more grippy once it gets a bit more worn. After seeing loads of pictures of peoples old leather cases, I can see why they put machined buttons on the new versions, the old ones seemed to look like they lose their shape over time.

Guess Who

Banned
Seems the 6s is consistently beating the 7 in speed tests I've been watching on youtube. Pretty weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmZK7sL94KE

Hmm. You know, I was thinking about the A10's big.LITTLE-style setup recently, and wonder if this might be a symptom of switching to that kind of design. In benchmarks, the A10 will fire up the powerful cores and score very well, but on smaller tasks that only use the "little" cores, I wonder if you might actually see stuff like this, where the slower cores aren't as fast as a 6S?

EDIT: I think the CSR2 result here might back me up - when first launching it's a bit slower, but once the game loads in and starts demanding performance the 7 pulls ahead.

At first I was like shenanigans. But I did a speed test with my two phones, and yeah, there's barely a noticeable difference, and in some cases like the camera, the 6S wins out.

I'm shocked tbh.

At least for the first day I'll chock it up to the 7 still setting things up in the background.

Jeffrey

who knew that the headphone jack added performance to iOS in the past??

wonder if there is some software issue thats happening? Felt like every iphone release has a little something funky until the first update.

Or it could be that we've kinda reach the limits on bootup times for apps on iOS unless they completely rework some of the backend stuff.

Has there been any talks if apps need to be optimized to take advantage of the A10's 'kinda' quad core setup?

Guess Who

Banned
Or it could be that we've kinda reach the limits on bootup times for apps on iOS unless they completely rework some of the backend stuff.

I definitely think that, for some of these apps like Calendar and Music, the only thing limiting how fast they're loading is the speed of the opening animation, because the hardware is that damn fast and the apps are that lightweight. This is why they open instantly and simultaneously on the 6S and 7 - CPU and storage performance on both phones is so fast the apps can load before the animation's even done.

Jeffrey

At some point the only differentiation between a phone's performance for daily use is doing speed tests for hefty websites like theverge or cnn lol.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
The only thing I'm worried about going form a 6S+ to a regular iPhone 7 is battery life. Hope it isn't too much different. Supposedly it's 2 hours more than the 6S. Please be true.

Fliesen

Hmm. You know, I was thinking about the A10's big.LITTLE-style setup recently, and wonder if this might be a symptom of switching to that kind of design. In benchmarks, the A10 will fire up the powerful cores and score very well, but on smaller tasks that only use the "little" cores, I wonder if you might actually see stuff like this, where the slower cores aren't as fast as a 6S?

EDIT: I think the CSR2 result here might back me up - when first launching it's a bit slower, but once the game loads in and starts demanding performance the 7 pulls ahead.

yeah, that sounds very plausible.
the 7 having an ever so slightly longer 'warm up' time for certain processes, but when the engine's rolling, it pulls ahead (and therefore also reaching idle faster, eventually saving power)

Rodin

And I was all set to get matte black next month...

Maybe if I put a screen protector on the back, it'd stay safe.
Yup, planning to buy the jet black and use something like this on it

41sqyLxF1IL.jpg

Covers the back perfectly, it's tempered glass so the feel in the hand is great and the aesthetics are intact.

ifixit.com running a livestream on youtube now with the iphone 7 dumped in an akvarium with a timer. been in there for 5 hours now and still working :)

This is the best feature on iphone7 for sure. I fish a lot and the phone can easily be dumped into the water :)

Haha this is actually really strange. Bet everyone in this thread is sweating rn.

Not sweating one bit. The iPhones have already pushed storage out to near its absolute limit so I'm not surprised that loading won't get faster. And I know for sure the A10 is considerably faster than the A9.

Jeffrey

Yup, planning to buy the jet black and use something like this on it

41sqyLxF1IL.jpg

Covers the back perfectly, it's tempered glass so the feel in the hand is great and the aesthetics are intact.

tempered glass won't fit perfectly on the iphone 6 family due to curve screen. Corners will be exposed.

ReAxion

Lol out for delivery for 12 hours now, and those fuckers still haven't shown up. I'm growing tired.

drivers tend to do their residential deliveries after their business stuff is delivered; have to deliver during business hours & leaving packages at residences during the day is a risk. i'm assuming you're at a residential address here.

Top Bottom