• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

ZOONAMI

Is Apple still the king of phone OS? Seems like iOS 10 is running nicely for a lot of people.

Think it's still pretty much a question of optimization vs customization. (iOS vs Android). And then I'd say from a hardware perspective Android kind of has things on lock with cameras, less bezel, better resolution, actual waterproofing (ip68), higher dpi, amoled, and now headphone jacks ;)

Red

Think it's still pretty much a question of optimization vs customization. (iOS vs Android). And then I'd say from a hardware perspective Android kind of has things on lock with cameras, less bezel, better resolution, actual waterproofing (ip68), higher dpi, amoled, and now headphone jacks ;)
And slower processors, etc. etc.

Mobius 1

Well. I have a reservation to pickup a matte black 7 in about an hour, but I called Apple to complain about the fact that as a iUP member, I could not select the model I wanted a minute after the preorders went up.

Not being too concerned about that, I let it go. So I'm about to walk out of the door when I receive an email from Apple saying I now have a reserved 7 Plus model...

... September 26 :-/

I suppose I could wait.

j-wood

So I just picked up a 7, coming from a nexus 6p. First ever iPhone. Seems the iTunes Store is down. I can literally do nothing on this phone. Sigh.

Risette

A Good Citizen
how are the silicone cases? I got a leather case for my 6 and it was terrible. Barely lasted a few months before looking like shit.

LordOfChaos

Chipworks teardown! They still seem confused about some things, but they have a die shot up

http://www.chipworks.com/about-chipworks/overview/blog/apple-iphone-7-teardown

(they're not saying there's 8 cores for the record, they're just not sure where the two little cores are)

oPxqfzA.jpg

Vyer

Hardware is more than just the screen. Customization is still Android's strong suit, but they can't really match what apple is doing with a lot of hardware aspects including CPU and gpu

finalflame

Walked into the 1 Infinite Loop store at ~3pm today and walked right out within 10 minutes with my Verizon iPhone 7 128gb Matte Black + Apple Black Leather Case. They were pretty much out of all colors but matte black, and had no Pluses to speak of. Seems Jet Black/Plus is where most of the demand/least of the supply is.

This thing feels goddamn great coming from my 6. New iMessage is finally buttery smooth and responsive again, even on the new features/iMessage apps. I also love the new home button, and the matte black is actually a really really nice deep finish.

Stoked.

I really like the way the haptic feedback reacts when you do certain things in the OS. Little buzzes when you drop the notifications bar, remove apps, or use the clock app.

finalflame

I'm definitely not in love with it so far. I don't like the stiffness of the indent. The 6s was perfect in feel...just enough give and feedback and a satisfying click. This new button is a huge step backwards IMO.

Feels great IMO. The haptic feedback is perfect once you get used to it after the first hour or so. Don't think I could go back to the mechanical button.

Pineapple

I'm really liking the new home button as well. Having the option of customizing the pressure of the feedback is even better.

Interesting thing happened today at the Apple store when I went to pick up my phone. I was standing in line, about to be paired up with an Appe employee to pick up the 7, so I decided to quickly log out of my iCloud account on my phone and wipe it completely. I didn't know when Apple was going to wipe my phone, so I just wanted to ensure that the phone was clean before I handed it over.

So I get paired up with an employee, and she asks to see my phone. Of course, the phone isn't set up, and she needs to get into the phone to retrieve the serial and IMEI numbers, so she starts going through the prompts to set up the phone.

She then hands me the phone and asks me to log in with my Apple ID. No problem...except after logging in, I get the message "That Apple ID is not associated with this iPhone." As I read the text further, it stated that the Apple ID associated with the phone starts with a "g", and is a Yahoo address.

This was stunning to me, since my Apple ID uses a Gmail address, and I didn't even have a Yahoo account. I got the phone new a year ago, have been the only owner, have never given anyone my Apple ID logon information, and have never handed anyone my phone unlocked.

Ultimately, it took almost 2 hours for Apple to verify that I was the original owner of the phone, and to then break into it and disassociate that random Yahoo email address from the phone. Has anyone experienced anything like this before, or know what may have caused this? All of the employees at the store were just as baffled as I was as to how this happened.

sangreal

Someone posted this on macrumors, so I tried it out myself -- in many cases the stock app doesn't seem to even use the telephoto camera for 2x. I get the same image even if the telephoto lense is completely obscured

robotrock

Banned
A summary of my experience so far:

- Opening/closing app animations can stutter sometimes

- All of my phones buttons were straight up unresponsive for a good couple of minutes after opening and then closing a good few apps. Pressing on the home button provided feedback, but it did not do anything. I tried restarting the phone the good Apple way by holding the power button and the home button together, but that did not do anything. Eventually, after leaving my phone to sit for a few minutes, it fixed itself.

- One time with the new lightning headphones, I could not adjust the volume at all. Every other time I plug them in though, they seem to work.

- Music widget does not show anything that I've recently played. All the music I've played has been off Apple Music, could this be the problem?

- Music app tells me that I have not purchased any music. I went to the iTunes Store app and downloaded the Bjork album I own, and the Music app doesn't tell me it's downloaded, or tell me I own it. It showed that it was downloading several tracks, but all of them were unnamed.

Is there a problem with my phone

- All of my phones buttons were straight up unresponsive for a good couple of minutes after opening and then closing a good few apps. Pressing on the home button provided feedback, but it did not do anything. I tried restarting the phone the good Apple way by holding the power button and the home button together, but that did not do anything. Eventually, after leaving my phone to sit for a few minutes, it fixed itself.

- One time with the new lightning headphones, I could not adjust the volume at all. Every other time I plug them in though, they seem to work.

- Music widget does not show anything that I've recently played. All the music I've played has been off Apple Music, could this be the problem?

- Music app tells me that I have not purchased any music. I went to the iTunes Store app and downloaded the Bjork album I own, and the Music app doesn't tell me it's downloaded, or tell me I own it. It showed that it was downloading several tracks, but all of them were unnamed.

No, this is exactly what you payed 500 for

Crazyorloco

I played with both the 7 and the plus today. The regular 7 feels so good and comfortable to hold due to its size. I'm getting the 7 plus, and I had a little trouble holding it as comfortably. The new home button is fine, but I wonder if all that vibration has an impact on battery life. Is there a way to disable it? I rather have a regular button if it does impact the battery a lot.

I actually wasn't all that impressed with photos on the iPhone 7 that much, I think it's because I've used Galaxy phones for so long. The macro is farther, focus isn't as quick or accurate, and lights seem overly bright. The extra camera doesn't seem to be anything special (yet). When I used the zoom I felt like detail was nuked. I think the other cam could be something great if the right updates are applied to it. I'm looking forward to them. On the store demo units I wonder what they did to make the demo pics look so good lol I can't wait to really test out the pics when I get the phone.

I love the OS responsiveness. The IPhone's responsiveness is worth the price of admission for me. We can always edit pics afterwards to make them better.

Vyer

Sounds like it. Possibly. If it helps, holding down just the power button will prompt you to shut down the power, after which you can hold it down again to restart.

Sh0k

Anyone with the Apple lather case finds the case kind off slippery? I have used the silicone one with my iPhone 6 but I wanted to try the leather one this time.

Anyone with the Apple lather case finds the case kind off slippery? I have used the silicone one with my iPhone 6 but I wanted to try the leather one this time.

Don't know about the iPhone cases in particular but FWIW I had the official leather case for the iPad Air 2 and the iPad Pro's silicone case is a lot grippier. I was initially bummed out that the Pro covers didn't come in leather but ended up liking the silicone more.

I'm really liking the new home button as well. Having the option of customizing the pressure of the feedback is even better.

Interesting thing happened today at the Apple store when I went to pick up my phone. I was standing in line, about to be paired up with an Appe employee to pick up the 7, so I decided to quickly log out of my iCloud account on my phone and wipe it completely. I didn't know when Apple was going to wipe my phone, so I just wanted to ensure that the phone was clean before I handed it over.

So I get paired up with an employee, and she asks to see my phone. Of course, the phone isn't set up, and she needs to get into the phone to retrieve the serial and IMEI numbers, so she starts going through the prompts to set up the phone.

She then hands me the phone and asks me to log in with my Apple ID. No problem...except after logging in, I get the message "That Apple ID is not associated with this iPhone." As I read the text further, it stated that the Apple ID associated with the phone starts with a "g", and is a Yahoo address.

This was stunning to me, since my Apple ID uses a Gmail address, and I didn't even have a Yahoo account. I got the phone new a year ago, have been the only owner, have never given anyone my Apple ID logon information, and have never handed anyone my phone unlocked.

Ultimately, it took almost 2 hours for Apple to verify that I was the original owner of the phone, and to then break into it and disassociate that random Yahoo email address from the phone. Has anyone experienced anything like this before, or know what may have caused this? All of the employees at the store were just as baffled as I was as to how this happened.

Why would it even say it's associated with any ID at all when you completely wiped it? That should have reset any associations. Maybe the serial number of the phone got mixed up with an existing one (the Yahoo one) somehow during the mass influx of people wiping/restoring/activating today. Maybe it checks for a certain string of numbers and it got scrambled up with the Yahoo one when it went to return a YES/NO answer to the phone due to the stress on the systems.

Someone posted this on macrumors, so I tried it out myself -- in many cases the stock app doesn't seem to even use the telephoto camera for 2x. I get the same image even if the telephoto lense is completely obscured

The second lens zoom features aren't available yet. It's coming with a software update in October.

UPS delivered my phone late, so didn't get to set it up till just a little bit ago. Also had to setup the new Apple Watch S2 (for some odd reason I had to restore from backup twice with that, not sure why it lost the connection and thought it was disconnected prior to moving to the new phone).

Won't be able to mess with it too much until I eat dinner, but the display seems pretty nice. Got the matte black model (and Black S2 watch to match).

Hope everyone is enjoying the new iPhone. I walk by an Apple store everyday and yeah there was a decent line. I am not sure if I was surprised. I got the 6s+ so not sure if its worth the upgrade and just wait till next year.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I've had almost every iPhone since the original, and this is the first I haven't received on Day One.

FeelsBadMan.jpeg

My 128GB Jet Black Plus is "preparing for shipment," so I'm hopeful it arrives by Wed next week when I get back home from a business trip.

Hope everyone is enjoying their new toy!

Owari

Was supposed to get my 128GB Jet Black today. But Apple messed up the address, so now I have to wait until (hopefully) Monday.

I've had almost every iPhone since the original, and this is the first I haven't received on Day One.

FeelsBadMan.jpeg

My 128GB Jet Black Plus is "preparing for shipment," so I'm hopeful it arrives by Wed next week when I get back home from a business trip.

Hope everyone is enjoying their new toy!
I feel you bro. Apple kinda messed this launch up.

TheZink

First couple days they are slippery but after that they break in great. I found the silicone more slippery than the leather. I've owned both.

Just to note, because there's not a physical button anymore, the new force restart combination is power+volume down

Has anybody photos completely got moved out of chronological order?

My camera roll is out of order, but it looks like the chronological view is still accurate.

Then again, probably 30% of my apps didn't even restore*, nor did some of my Apple Pay cards, so that's the least of my concern. This is the first time restoring from backup has ever fucked things up. Thank gods they didn't delete my Shin Megami Tensei data at least.

(*) I think some of my older apps have been deleted from the store. I can still download them, but trying to pull up their page is just an endless loading spinner.

I don't know, some of those things don't necessarily sound like hardware problems, but issues with your iCloud sync. Maybe you could try signing out and back into iCloud?

The old force restart trick has changed as of iOS 10 (probably because of the new home button). I think it's now power + volume-up button, something like that. (edit: volume-down ^)

Not really answering your question, but I have the new silicone case and it feels much better than the old one. It still has that rubbery stick to it, but much less so -- it's easier to pull out of pocket now.

Nori Chan

My camera roll is out of order, but it looks like the chronological view is still accurate.

Then again, probably 30% of my apps didn't even restore*, nor did some of my Apple Pay cards, so that's the least of my concern. This is the first time restoring from backup has ever fucked things up. Thank gods they didn't delete my Shin Megami Tensei data at least.

Yeah, that happened to me too. Had to redownload EVERYTHING. It's actually bugging me that pics from 2014 are the most recent ones :\

Can someone explain to me what the second lens on the plus actually does? I can literally cover it with my finger and nothing changes, the camera doesn't even pick up that's it's covered.

Voidance

Has anyone had issues with their visual voicemail not working after upgrading to the 7/7+? When I press the voicemail icon, it calls the voicemail line instead of showing me my voicemails. Kind of a bummer.

sangreal

Can someone explain to me what the second lens on the plus actually does? I can literally cover it with my finger and nothing changes, the camera doesn't even pick up that's it's covered.

apparently it works if you're far away from subject and in good lighting according to some people, but even then I couldn't get it to turn on. When I turn on 2x zoom it's just using the wide angle digital zoom.

Will have to try outside tomorrow

In all cases. Nothing I do can get it to work, yet the reviewers are claiming to see a difference. Doesn't make sense, is it a software bug? It's literally just the normal lens zoomed in to 2x

outsidah

18316-16854-76s-l-jpg.653604

Dat jet black

First Jb picture that makes me want that one. I'd probably regret it the moment it was covered in fingerprints and/or show any kind of scratches.

I'm definitely not in love with it so far. I don't like the stiffness of the indent. The 6s was perfect in feel...just enough give and feedback and a satisfying click. This new button is a huge step backwards IMO.

I am in the same camp you are. The "button" hardly feels like it used to and does not accomplish the same thing they did on the new MacBook where it actually felt like a "click". Yeah it has different settings, but it just doesn't feel right to me. I'd rather have the old button back.

I do really like the new Taptic Engine outside of that though.

Top Bottom