• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

apparently it works if you're far away from subject and in good lighting according to some people, but even then I couldn't get it to turn on. When I turn on 2x zoom it's just using the wide angle digital zoom.

Will have to try outside tomorrow

Hmm it doesn't make sense for the software to limit it that much. It should be a hard force based off which settting you're on. I can't imagine they are processing the image and determining which lens they are allowing you to use. The second lens should always be better for distance

Too many people stopped me from playing with the 7 at Union Square Apple Store (San Francisco) but I did purchase the lighting earpods and bought the 3.5mm -> lighting adapter for fun as I have a 6S+.

Listening though the lighting pods, I have to say that they sound a lot better than my 3.5mm pair so far. The big one for me is that I don't need them to be at a high volume to listen comfortably.

I also checked out the Nike+ Apple Watch and I really like it. I prefer the space grey aluminum so I'm thinking of getting the Nike version and separate bands as I like the Nike watch faces.

Too many people stopped me from playing with the 7 at Union Square Apple Store (San Francisco) but I did purchase the lighting earpods and bought the 3.5mm -> lighting adapter for fun as I have a 6S+.

Listening though the lighting pods, I have to say that they sound a lot better than my 3.5mm pair so far. The big one for me is that I don't need them to be at a high volume to listen comfortably.

I also checked out the Nike+ Apple Watch and I really like it. I prefer the space grey aluminum so I'm thinking of getting the Nike version and separate bands as I like the Nike watch faces.

Not sure what would cause the lighting pods to sound better than the 3.5 mm.

kaskade

Line was pretty long at the Apple Store even with the reservation. Took me like an hour and a half. Now for the long process of restoring my backup. Actual process of the iPhone upgrade program was pretty simple, I was in and out of the store in under 15 mins. There was one guy having activation issue. He was in there for probably 40 minutes.

apparently it works if you're far away from subject and in good lighting according to some people, but even then I couldn't get it to turn on. When I turn on 2x zoom it's just using the wide angle digital zoom.

Will have to try outside tomorrow
Someone explained it for me. Distance seems irrelevant, but is based off lighting because of the smaller aperture. If you point the phone directly at your light, even at close distance and cover the lens it will block out the image. Tested it out and it works. Glad someone cleared this up.

sangreal

Someone explained it for me. Distance seems irrelevant, but is based off lighting because of the smaller aperture. If you point the phone directly at your light, even at close distance and cover the lens it will block out the image. Tested it out and it works. Glad someone cleared this up.

that did the trick, though there was kind of a noticeable delay before it switched over to the telephoto since it has to finish metering I guess

I guess I'll be on the lookout for a camera+ update that lets you just pick the lens you want to use

that did the trick, though there was kind of a noticeable delay before it switched over to the telephoto since it has to finish metering I guess

I guess I'll be on the lookout for a camera+ update that lets you just pick the lens you want to use
Yeah. The 2x lens in light was noticeably sharper then when you cover the second lens and force the normal lens to zoom to 2x

mcfrank

Man this phone feels super fast compared to my 6. I am not completely sold on the new home button yet, though I live in LA so I don't have to deal with the gloves issue.

Man this phone feels super fast compared to my 6. I am not completely sold on the new home button yet, though I live in LA so I don't have to deal with the gloves issue.
I like the button. I don't really see how it's an issue with gloves. The previous phones, were useless with gloves on to. Who cares if you could click the home button, you still couldn't swipe to unlock it.

kaskade

The new home button is weird, it does in fact feel like a click which is trippy. But it's more like clicking the bottom portion of the screen, not just the button

icespide

Banned
I like the button. I don't really see how it's an issue with gloves. The previous phones, were useless with gloves on to. Who cares if you could click the home button, you still couldn't swipe to unlock it.

specifically the home button doesn't work when using gloves that are specifically made to work with touch screens

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Apple store screwed me.

So we had two iUP phones to upgrade. We get there for an 8:00pm -8:30pm appointment at 7:30 and stand in line ( wouldn't let us get in line until 7:50). End up getting in around 8:20 pm. The guy seems reasonably nice and he scans my confirmations then heads back to get the phones.

He starts through the t-mobile process for the upgrade. We get through the activation and then he looks at the phones and puts his palm in his hands. He says "hold on" and goes to talk to some other apple store employee.

The moment he left I knew he activated the wrong number on one of the phones. We stood there for 15 minutes and he called us over. He started through the process again to activate one of the phones. He gets the phone activated and we test it.

He then goes through the iUP process for the other phone. He speeds through it and says "It's late I'm sure the phone works so you should just head out " . We said sure and took the phones home.

Surprise, my phone doesn't activate and because he activated it with the wrong number I can't activate that sim for 24 hours. He clearly knew that the phone would not work but hurried us out because he wanted to go home. Pretty annoyed with this. He never even admitted to messing anything up and now I have to deal with his mess.

I'll be contacting them tomorrow. At least fess up to the mistake and don't push us out the store.

specifically the home button doesn't work when using gloves that are specifically made to work with touch screens

The home button is capacitive, just like the screen. If your gloves are designed to work on the touch screen then they will work on the home button.

So I'm playing around with my 7, and I swear when I push the home button it feels like an actual clicky button. Every time. It is freaking me out, knowing it doesn't actually move.

MThanded

Also they gave me someone else's receipt and did not email the receipt that I am missing. So I'm missing a receipt for one of the purchases on top of this BS.

sangreal

So I'm playing around with my 7, and I swear when I push the home button it feels like an actual clicky button. Every time. It is freaking me out, knowing it doesn't actually move.

Yeah, it feels great to me and I was really worried about it. I've had android phones in the past that used capacitive buttons w/ feedback and they sucked

feels weird switching to my ipad though with the real button

Yeah. I wish the other functions were more prominent or could be adjusted though. On the 7 plus I usually can't even feel the feedback from the system level stuff, like the Notification Center.

So there's no 32GB available but I could go buy a 128GB silver right now. What exactly could I do with the extra storage to justify buying this one? I'm sitting comfortably with over 3GB remaining on my 16GB iPhone 6.

My camera roll uploads to Dropbox in Wi-Fi so I don't need it on my phone, and I have 10GB of data a month so I just stream everything from Apple Music.

MThanded

So there's no 32GB available but I could go buy a 128GB silver right now. What exactly could I do with the extra storage to justify buying this one? I'm sitting comfortably with over 3GB remaining on my 16GB iPhone 6.

My camera roll uploads to Dropbox in Wi-Fi so I don't need it on my phone, and I have 10GB of data a month so I just stream everything from Apple Music.

Pictures and video will take more space. I always go with the middle storage space. It's the sweet spot IMO.

kaskade

I ended up getting the 128. I figure I could shoot some 4k video.

Surprise, my phone doesn't activate and because he activated it with the wrong number I can't activate that sim for 24 hours. He clearly knew that the phone would not work but hurried us out because he wanted to go home. Pretty annoyed with this. He never even admitted to messing anything up and now I have to deal with his mess.

I'll be contacting them tomorrow. At least fess up to the mistake and don't push us out the store.

Damn I'm sorry to hear that. Don't know if you want to out the store, but I'd be interested to know where it is. I've never heard of an Apple employee straight up trying to do shady stuff like that. Definitely get the manager involved, and also Angela Arhendts if needbe.

Damn I'm sorry to hear that. Don't know if you want to out the store, but I'd be interested to know where it is. I've never heard of an Apple employee straight up trying to do shady stuff like that. Definitely get the manager involved, and also Angela Arhendts if needbe.

Seriously. I'd go in there hurling thunderbolts tomorrow.

The 7 shoots in 4K, which takes up double the storage compared to the 1080p your 6 shoots at. Considering you are reasonably close to full on your 6 (3gb is not comfortable), you will be a lot more comfortable with 128gb, especially if you plan to keep it at least 2 years like I assume you did with the 6.

finalflame

I just did a Speedtest on my new 7 and got 189.77 Mbps download. Nuts!

q6eX9jR.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm waiting for those everyday use speed tests... so far this is about the only one I can find that's decent. Surprisingly 6S in use is... faster? At least most of the time, it seems. That's weird. I remember the speed tests going from 6>6S and there was a pretty definite difference, but I could be wrong.

Want to see a SE vs. 7 speed test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmZK7sL94KE

Can we bring a little more attention to this...

I'm a little taken aback at how well the 6S is doing in these tests compared to the 7.

Not sure that I expected it to be night and day in the 7's favor, but it's actually getting beat in a lot of the tests.

It's not very scientific but I still wonder what is causing it.

Aren't the more energy efficient cores mostly for when the phone is in sleep mode? Surely that is not the cause, or is it?

Not sure what would cause the lighting pods to sound better than the 3.5 mm.

Maybe it's a placebo effect but I know that to achieve the same listening levels, the lightning pods are at a lower level than when using my 3.5mm pods.

The lightning pods seem to have more bass than the old ones I've noticed.

mcfrank

Can we bring a little more attention to this...

I'm a little taken aback at how well the 6S is doing in these tests compared to the 7.

Not sure that I expected it to be night and day in the 7's favor, but it's actually getting beat in a lot of the tests.

It's not very scientific but I still wonder what is causing it.

Aren't the more energy efficient cores mostly for when the phone is in sleep mode? Surely that is not the cause, or is it?

Is he sure the phone was done doing all of the background shit it does when you first set it up?

ReAxion

the leather case isn't slippery. although weirdly i can understand how one could think that. once it's on and in your hand; no worries. i love the new buttons.

toohectic

Just came back from the Apple Store so I figured I'd give my impressions.

First off, best black is Jet Black. It looked great and especially felt great. The grip on the smooth finish feels so much better than the standard matte finishes... provided a much more confident grip. Keep in mind this was a standard 7, but I figure the same improvement would be true for a 7 Plus. In terms of looks, it looked more premium, even with fingerprints all over. The fingerprints didn't bug me much. And it seemed more durable than I imagined. I couldn't detect any marks or blemishes on the finish despite being handled by random people all day. So if you are the type that typically takes good care of your phone, I don't imagine you will have an issue. Anyway, based on my impression from tonight, I'm planning on going for jet black and sticking to no case/skin like all my previous phones.

In regard to the home button, I was indifferent about it at first, but it grew on me after playing with it for a bit. So much so, that my regular iPhone 6 clicky button felt weird in comparison after. The thing that makes it different to me is that the clicking-feel is felt by the portion of your hand that is holding the phone, and not your thumb. With a traditional clicky button, the click is registered or felt by the thumb and not the hand. This one is reverse. And because the click is felt by the hand, the feel or intensity of the click was really dependent upon my grip. As the phone changed positions in my hand, the click intensity would appear to change due to how tight my grip was, lending to an inconsistency in the click feel at all times. I noticed if I placed the phone flat on the table and attempted to press that home button (which I sometimes do if I'm eating and reading from my phone), I could hardly feel the click. It clicked, but you just couldn't really feel it since your hand was not actively holding the phone. If you had a nice solid grip on the phone, that's when the click felt best.

Also I tried the two cameras on the Plus as well. I tried covering up the lenses like other people had mentioned. I couldn't quite figure out what was going on but it seemed to be using both lenses. I could cover one lens and clearly see the screen toggle between the two (blocked and unblocked on the preview) when I toggled the 1X/2X setting. (Which clearly shows that you are toggling between the two) However, when I attempted to cover the other lens, it always showed an image despite the zoom toggle position. It's like it uses a aggregate of information from both lenses for the preview with a priority on the info from the wide angle lens. I figure this allows them to maintain a smooth zoom transition as you increase the zoom from 1X to 10X using the slider and prioritizes information from the fastest lens with the largest aperture. I'm sure more details will emerge over the weekend.

Anyway, that's it for now. Jet Black 7 here I come. (Trying to resist, but the trade in deals right now are too good to pass up.)

Top Bottom