• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

Ninja Dom

Can we bring a little more attention to this...

I'm a little taken aback at how well the 6S is doing in these tests compared to the 7.

Not sure that I expected it to be night and day in the 7's favor, but it's actually getting beat in a lot of the tests.

It's not very scientific but I still wonder what is causing it.

Aren't the more energy efficient cores mostly for when the phone is in sleep mode? Surely that is not the cause, or is it?

Is he sure the phone was done doing all of the background shit it does when you first set it up?

That's what I think too.

The 6S was probably updated to iOS 10 on Tuesday/Wednesday so all of the indexing it needs to do after updating is complete. Whereas the 7 was freshly on and restored from backup before the test.

Maybe.

chunk3rvd

Can you only join the upgrade program when they have stock in stores? I woke up at 6AM as Apple UK said that was when they'd start taking online reservations again but they have no Plus stock in stores so I can't make a reservation anyway. I'd just be happy to join the 2-3 week waiting list at this point but it won't let me. Seems like my only option is to buy a handset outright, return it then see if they'all let me buy it back on the upgrade program?

Reserved at 12:05am PST, iPhone 7 Plus 128 in Gold. Got a reservation for 6pm at my local Apple Store. Stood in line for almost an hour, at one point an employee scanned my email QR code. Told me the phone is here. Went into the store and was told "due to a shipment error, your phone isn't here". They offered to take my information and "we will call you tomorrow if we can get you another phone". And they gave me a free leather case.

iPhone upgrade program, my butt.

I'm a little taken aback at how well the 6S is doing in these tests compared to the 7.

Not sure that I expected it to be night and day in the 7's favor, but it's actually getting beat in a lot of the tests.

Aren't the more energy efficient cores mostly for when the phone is in sleep mode? Surely that is not the cause, or is it?
This really is a verrry iterative upgrade, the camera is only slightly better, the screen is only slightly better, the speed is identical...

Owari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVvK2pxy39c

This video seems to be a little more equal. I would also love to see an SE VS 7 test since I can't just do it myself (grrr Apple.)

ASTROID2

I swear the apple earbuds with the 3.5mm jack using the adapter sound better than the lightning ones. At least that's what my ears hear.

Mobius 1

Just came back from the Apple Store so I figured I'd give my impressions.

First off, best black is Jet Black. It looked great and especially felt great. The grip on the smooth finish feels so much better than the standard matte finishes... provided a much more confident grip. Keep in mind this was a standard 7, but I figure the same improvement would be true for a 7 Plus. In terms of looks, it looked more premium, even with fingerprints all over. The fingerprints didn't bug me much. And it seemed more durable than I imagined. I couldn't detect any marks or blemishes on the finish despite being handled by random people all day. So if you are the type that typically takes good care of your phone, I don't imagine you will have an issue. Anyway, based on my impression from tonight, I'm planning on going for jet black and sticking to no case/skin like all my previous phones.

In regard to the home button, I was indifferent about it at first, but it grew on me after playing with it for a bit. So much so, that my regular iPhone 6 clicky button felt weird in comparison after. The thing that makes it different to me is that the clicking-feel is felt by the portion of your hand that is holding the phone, and not your thumb. With a traditional clicky button, the click is registered or felt by the thumb and not the hand. This one is reverse. And because the click is felt by the hand, the feel or intensity of the click was really dependent upon my grip. As the phone changed positions in my hand, the click intensity would appear to change due to how tight my grip was, lending to an inconsistency in the click feel at all times. I noticed if I placed the phone flat on the table and attempted to press that home button (which I sometimes do if I'm eating and reading from my phone), I could hardly feel the click. It clicked, but you just couldn't really feel it since your hand was not actively holding the phone. If you had a nice solid grip on the phone, that's when the click felt best.

Also I tried the two cameras on the Plus as well. I tried covering up the lenses like other people had mentioned. I couldn't quite figure out what was going on but it seemed to be using both lenses. I could cover one lens and clearly see the screen toggle between the two (blocked and unblocked on the preview) when I toggled the 1X/2X setting. (Which clearly shows that you are toggling between the two) However, when I attempted to cover the other lens, it always showed an image despite the zoom toggle position. It's like it uses a aggregate of information from both lenses for the preview with a priority on the info from the wide angle lens. I figure this allows them to maintain a smooth zoom transition as you increase the zoom from 1X to 10X using the slider and prioritizes information from the fastest lens with the largest aperture. I'm sure more details will emerge over the weekend.

Anyway, that's it for now. Jet Black 7 here I come. (Trying to resist, but the trade in deals right now are too good to pass up.)

Seems like it scratches a little easier than the anodized models.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hya-sd4sWY

DarkJC

I'm going Jet Black and going caseless, because Jet Black is awesome. Screw the "microabrasions", the finish is amazing, feels great, and is grippier than the normal finishes.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
After reading some reviews and messing around with one in the Apple Store, I think I'm going to cancel my 7 Plus pre-order with T-Mobile, which is supposed to ship in a week or so. I have a 6S Plus and the upgrades this time around just seem way too incremental to justify the cost, although the camera stuff does look nice.

M_A_C

After reading some reviews and messing around with one in the Apple Store, I think I'm going to cancel my 7 Plus pre-order with T-Mobile, which is supposed to ship in a week or so. I have a 6S Plus and the upgrades this time around just seem way too incremental to justify the cost, although the camera stuff does look nice.

I just did the same thing with the 6 plus. Might do the Sam's Club deal but not sure yet.

mid83

Anybody having issues with the 7 or 7+ having a dim and/or yellow tint on the display? Lots of people freaking out about that on the Macrumors forum. I wanted to check if it's a legitimate issue or just typical message board freak outs.

mid83

Reserved at 12:05am PST, iPhone 7 Plus 128 in Gold. Got a reservation for 6pm at my local Apple Store. Stood in line for almost an hour, at one point an employee scanned my email QR code. Told me the phone is here. Went into the store and was told "due to a shipment error, your phone isn't here". They offered to take my information and "we will call you tomorrow if we can get you another phone". And they gave me a free leather case.

iPhone upgrade program, my butt.

I checked inventory at some local Apple stores around here about an hour ago and found a black 128 gb plus so I grabbed an appointment for 10 am. All these stories are making me a little hesitant to even bother.

DarkJC

Anybody having issues with the 7 or 7+ having a dim and/or yellow tint on the display? Lots of people freaking out about that on the Macrumors forum. I wanted to check if it's a legitimate issue or just typical message board freak outs.

It's usually an unjustified freakout, sometimes the yellow tint is glue that hasn't fully cured since it's fresh from the factory. It could be that they've calibrated the 7 screens a little warmer as well because the 6S was a little on the blue side.

edit: We'll know for sure if it's a thing in a few more days as the launch furor dies down

who puts change and toothpicks in the pocket phone? lol ok

Does it really seem that weird to you? I've had a change-iPhone altercation exactly 1 time, but luckily I was using a screen protector. Sometimes you just forget which pocket you put something in, or you drop the phone into the wrong pocket.

DOWN

Banned
Does it really seem that weird to you? I've had a change-iPhone altercation exactly 1 time, but luckily I was using a screen protector. Sometimes you just forget which pocket you put something in, or you drop the phone into the wrong pocket.
Right pocket is phone pocket and ONLY phone pocket

This really is a verrry iterative upgrade, the camera is only slightly better, the screen is only slightly better, the speed is identical...

The display on the 7 is great; a noticeable upgrade for me in richness, and will become more apparent as apps start supporting wide gamut colors. And the camera on the 7 seems to handle low light conditions much better, which has been a weak spot on the 6. Speed is similar on light tasks because iOS 10 has been so optimized, but on heavy tasks we'll see the 7's power appear. Of course most people buying an iPhone won't ever need that speed anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVvK2pxy39c

This video seems to be a little more equal. I would also love to see an SE VS 7 test since I can't just do it myself (grrr Apple.)

Most of these people's tests are just opening applications, which prove nothing. The phones are so fast at this point that it's mostly the opening animations that take time. Heavy-duty apps and games are where you'll see the performance improvements.

VertPin

My October 4-10 256GB iPhone 7 Plus in Jet Black (T-Mobile one from the apple store) is preparing to ship! My card has been charged!

5jFsJA9.png

Excellent news to an otherwise terrible night at work. I wonder when it could be here???

Fliesen

The display on the 7 is great; a noticeable upgrade for me in richness, and will become more apparent as apps start supporting wide gamut colors. And the camera on the 7 seems to handle low light conditions much better, which has been a weak spot on the 6. Speed is similar on light tasks because iOS 10 has been so optimized, but on heavy tasks we'll see the 7's power appear. Of course most people buying an iPhone won't ever need that speed anyway.

Most of these people's tests are just opening applications, which prove nothing. The phones are so fast at this point that it's mostly the opening animations that take time. Heavy-duty apps and games are where you'll see the performance improvements.

aye, my iPhone 6 opens apps perfectly snappily.
Rendering a movie in Quik, applying filters in Prisma, etc. - That's where i'm expecting big improvements.

DOWN

Banned
When the phone is sitting on a desk rather than being held, the home button feedback is just like the MacBooks. Feels like you are clicking. Very cool.

Also I lightened the amount of force needed for 3D Touch. Felt like I had to warp the screen glass to push all the way in before.

Finally tried a 7. Home button feels fine, not sure what the big deal was.

Still waiting until I can just walk in and get one, though, however long that takes.

Fliesen

When the phone is sitting on a desk rather than being held, the home button feedback is just like the MacBooks. Feels like you are clicking. Very cool.

Also I lightened the amount of force needed for 3D Touch. Felt like I had to warp the screen glass to push all the way in before.

speaking of which. Does the taptic engine replace the "vibration motor" entirely?
is there a difference when the phone's set to silent / vibrate and you're getting a call?

crustikid

Liking the 7 so far. Glad I went with matte black and the apple leather case. Just feels like home to me. I wish there was an iUP type plan for MacBooks.

Now searching for a good pair of wireless earbuds. Don't really wanna spend money on some Bose QC35s, and the Jaybird Freedoms seem like a huge miss (even though they sound great). Kind of refuse to buy beats products...guess I'll wait for the airpods.

Fliesen

Liking the 7 so far. Glad I went with matte black and the apple leather case. Just feels like home to me. I wish there was an iUP type plan for MacBooks.

Now searching for a good pair of wireless earbuds. Don't really wanna spend money on some Bose QC35s, and the Jaybird Freedoms seem like a huge miss (even though they sound great). Kind of refuse to buy beats products...guess I'll wait for the airpods.

they've gotten a lot better over the recent years. But if you don't wanna be associated with the brand / image, i get that.

The W1 chip powered pairing process looks so incredibly neat - especially if you want to use the same pair of wireless buds / cans for multiple devices. And i'm quite sure that's gonna stay exclusive to Beats / Apple headphones.

Ianan

Any more comparison shots of the 7 Plus vs S7 Camera? I really want to get this phone but the camera is putting me off slightly.

Juice

I got to play with both matte black and jet black today and I'm personally really glad I went matte.

To each his own, but jet black felt really cheap to me. Maybe because I owned a 3GS and didn't particularly like its glossy/smudgy/greasy feel, the jet black felt just like it. I actually pulled out a 3GS last night so the memory would be fresh.

In product shots the jet black looks amazing but in person the matte black felt much more "substantial" and "premium" and other bullshit words we use to mean "good"

Fliesen

Some Die Hard Apple fanboys still say the iPhone 7 has a better camera but the S7 and Edge still have the better images.

it's pretty clear that the S7 camera is ever so slightly better (sharper, better ISO performance due to bigger sensor) than the one on the 7.

I do believe that the 7+ dual camera, as a complete package, is probably better than the S7 / Edge camera. The tiny bit of image quality you lose is imho compensated by the added versatility due to the zoom lens.

Top Bottom