• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Experience was all around terrible yesterday, due to multiple parties.

At the Apple Store the line was fine. They moved everyone with 8am reservations up to the front of the line and I was being helped by 835. So a little late but I'm not bothered in the slightest. I get in and the chick is a little confused about the app for the iUP. So she's making her way through it, nice and apologetic as heck, claims they were just trained on this version this morning. And the app is glitchy. It OCRs my serial number but won't input it into the text entry. The app tells me to sign out of iCloud and wipe my phone. I'm terrified to do this because of 2FA. But now she's showing me the app saying it can't proceed because that serial number is still signed in (even though I turned off FMi before I even got to the store). So I log out.. Then she goes to ring up the new phone and the Verifone accessory won't scan it. She tries to enter the number in manually but if you look at the numbers on the back of the box, the small ones... yeah.. so it spit back with "invalid entry" on the first of three, so she asked me if she could go in back and get a new device. She comes back, and we start the process from scratch, literally. Ok, so 5 mins later this device scans the new phone in fine (new device still wouldn't enter my OCRed serial number) and we're done. Again, the Apple Store employee was very nice and tried her best with all of the obstacles tossed at her. So I am getting close to having to leave for a meeting I am running, so I quick run through the restore to at least start it. I get prompted for a software update (10.0.1). Fml. So I start the update and leave figuring I would just restore at work. As I'm driving to work my phone reboots as part of the upgrade and doesn't come back on. So as I'm driving I am trying to hold down power. Hold down power and home. Nothing. So I get to work, lead my meeting. Then look to see how to do DFU on the 7. FYI it's now power and vol down. So it comes on and finishes the upgrade. Now I know I'm blocked at work because they block iCloud. So at lunch I go to mcdonalds and they say restore is about 2 hours. Fuck. So I go back to work and there's only one mifi around. So I try using that and it reboots sporadically every 5 minutes or so. So I go all day without my phone, get home and restore. And it takes over an hour. Afterward of course I go through the very slow and unstable period as it is restoring all of my apps and music.

Things I would do differently
Take the morning off. I need to keep remembering this. Restoring an iPhone is an hour plus long task.
Backup to iTunes first. For emergency restores and convenience iCloud will always be my default. But if you know you need a backup and restore, USB is insanely faster.
I actually knew how to deal with Apple Watch from last year but forgot here. Need to remember that. Fortunately it wasn't super bad. I just lost my activity for the day.

All in all my worst new iPhone experience, and I've had everyone since the 3GS aside from the 4 and 5. A little because of Apple, a lot because of a long series of unfortunate events.

As for the phone. Matte black is by far the best. The true stealth bomber (sorry 5). New home "area" is great. Feels like a button and responsive as hell. I realized lack of headphone port only affects me one place. I sometimes use my earbuds in my work laptop so now I would have to have two pair. Aside from that the removal of the port won't affect me at all. I just let the phone restore and index last night so I haven't played with the screen or camera yet. Will mess with those today.

speaking of which. Does the taptic engine replace the "vibration motor" entirely?
is there a difference when the phone's set to silent / vibrate and you're getting a call?
Oh. God. Yes. Coming from any other phone, the first time you get a call on the 6s/7, it freaks you out. And then after a day you say "I am NEVER going back to those 20 year old pager vibrators again!!!"

Fliesen

Oh. God. Yes. Coming from any other phone, the first time you get a call on the 6s/7, it freaks you out. And then after a day you say "I am NEVER going back to those 20 year old pager vibrators again!!!"

oh right, the 6S already had a, albeit smaller(?), taptic engine. i forgot.

Servbot24

Banned
This could be a potentially interesting wireless headphone solution from FiiO. You can use your existing headphones if they have a detachable cable.

14289947_1200296123361252_1763159157406131978_o.jpg

Not out yet though.

Crazyorloco

it's pretty clear that the S7 camera is ever so slightly better (sharper, better ISO performance due to bigger sensor) than the one on the 7.

I do believe that the 7+ dual camera, as a complete package, is probably better than the S7 / Edge camera. The tiny bit of image quality you lose is imho compensated by the added versatility due to the zoom lens.

Using the iPhone 7 plus a bit yesterday and I do not see the benefits of the extra lens yet. Most times I am not zooming in for pictures so I would prefer higher image quality over zooming. I am looking forward to what updates Apple has for in store for the second camera. I hope it's good.

I am disappointed with the iPhone 7 camera (I was hoping it would be better than the Galaxy phones) but I'm glad it's improved over the iPhone 6s.

My 7 Plus which was backordeded until the 27-29 just shipped with a delivery date of Tuesday. I shouldn't be annoyed that I broke my launch day streak but it still annoys me.

crustikid

Using the iPhone 7 plus a bit yesterday and I do not see the benefits of the extra lens yet.

I am disappointed with the iPhone 7 camera (I was hoping it would be better than the Galaxy phones) but I'm glad it's improved over the iPhone 6s.

Yeah extra lens is this year's 3D Touch. Only iterations (and the update) will tell us how beneficial a dual lens system can be. If only we could pick focal lengths. I'd go with a 28mm at the low end and an 85mm. Or a single 35mm would be nice too.

Do the screen protectors for the 6 series fit on the 7?

They refreshed the Belkins at the Apple Store I was at yesterday. Supposedly they fit. Didn't buy one because I figured, heck, it's only $10 more if I need an AppleCare screen replacement. First time going protectorless, but its mostly because I don't have to worry about resale value.

rubes7844

Banned
Best Buy just emailed me my $100 gift card on a phone I'm gonna cancel when it arrives. Bought some power beats 2 for $30 out of pocket

kaskade

Welp, just noticed a nice dead in the middle portion of my screen. I think I'm going to wait a couple weeks before I go back. I spent long enough there.

Fliesen

Wait until https://www.dxomark.com/mobiles gets their sample. Most other reviewers are trash.

Yeah, i don't get how people get so crazy about youtube comparisons, when the main goal for these kinds of videos is to be the first to report any kind of findings.
"drop test" "scratch test" "bend test" "immersion test"

The PC Mag Review is quite scientific and in-depth, though.

tl;dr: S7 takes slightly better pics than iPhone 7, doesn't offer 'optical' zoom though. Better quality, less versatility.

Fliesen

I just noticed that the iPhone 6s Plus camera got a better score than the iPhone 6s.
Why is that?
arent these phones using the same camera?

doesn't the non-plus model lack OIS on the camera, just like with the iPhone 6?
i thought the 7 was the first generation where the smaller model got OIS as well

ESBL

I literally can't tell the difference between this and the 6S, well the screen is slightly better. Also T-Mobile was f'd with the iPhone 7 apparently, T-Mobile thought I was abroad when I called into 611. iMessages wouldn't pair with my number and Wi-Fi Calling wouldn't work. They said it was a known issue and it should be resolved shortly, well everything is working this morning now. They credited me the $20 "upgrade" fee for my troubles, gotta buy Applecare+ today, I'll probably head to Apple after class today. Tired of dealing with people on the phone. Oh the new home button is pretty nice.

Does the phone support fast charging at all? Will this charge as far as my 6p?

Its not advertised, but if you use a 10w charger (iPad charger), it will charge faster than the 5w charger. You can go from 0-50% in about an hour.

KevinG

Should my wife's iCloud back up (10GB) be estimated to take 13 hours to restore on her 7? 75mbps on our internet, but could it be Apple's servers sucking it up today?

She just wants to use her new phone.

E92 M3

How come some of you hate screen protectors on the the new iPhones? They are practically not noticeable and protect the screen. What is the downfall?

KevinG

Servers are being slammed. Happens every year for the first couple days after launch.
She's better off just using it as a new phone for a few days then restoring? She's just stressing about losing al the pictures of our kids, and is afraid using the phone as new could somehow delete her iCloud backup from her 6.

She's better off just using it as a new phone for a few days then restoring? She's just stressing about losing al the pictures of our kids, and is afraid using the phone as new could somehow delete her iCloud backup from her 6.

The backup is fine if she sets it up as new temporarily. Hell, its fine even if she sets it up as new permanently

Hoo-doo

Banned
How come some of you hate screen protectors on the the new iPhones? They are practically not noticeable and protect the screen. What is the downfall?

Because they are noticeable, always.

Also, I haven't had a scratched screen since my iPhone 3GS and use it caseless. I take good care of my stuff.

Why not just back it up to Itunes on a computer? That was a lot faster for me compared to the several hours iCloud said it would take.

icespide

Banned
had to sync my iPhone with iTunes for the first time in years in order to get back my custom ringtones. I was legit terrified syncing with iTunes would somehow fuck everything up. I hate iTunes

Fliesen

Because they are noticeable, always.

Also, I haven't had a scratched screen since my iPhone 3GS and use it caseless. I take good care of my stuff.

this.
I have literally never used a screen protector and i have never shattered nor scratched a screen. (and i drop my phone a lot...)

Ten foot face down drop? Not a problem.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oJQnbaNGCj0

Durability seems to b improved over the 6s (which didn't survive that drop).

please stop posting these pointless videos

there's so much randomness about dropping a few phones multiple times.
That very same iPhone could literally break when dropped from 1 foot.
These 'drop tests' proof nothing. You can literally deduct nothing from the "results" of these "tests"

it's all about whether the phone lands on a corner (all the force of the impact in one POINT) or the edge (the force distributed along a much larger surface area). And that's completely out of the control of the one who drops

Erebus

They refreshed the Belkins at the Apple Store I was at yesterday. Supposedly they fit. Didn't buy one because I figured, heck, it's only $10 more if I need an AppleCare screen replacement. First time going protectorless, but its mostly because I don't have to worry about resale value.
I just have some spare ones for the iPhone 6, that's all.

On another matter my iPhone 6 is still on 9.3.5., do I need to update on iOS 10 before backing up my data on iTunes to be able to restore when I get the 7?

Fliesen

I just have some spare ones for the iPhone 6, that's all.

On another matter my iPhone 6 is still on 9.3.5., do I need to update on iOS 10 before backing up my data on iTunes to be able to restore when I get the 7?

i only know that you can't restore a backup made in 10.0 on a phone running 9.3.5 (i had my iPhone 6 exchanged for a refurbished yesterday)

I'd presume devices of higher iOS versions should be backwards compatible to backups of lower versions.
How else could you switch from an iPhone 4S to a 7 without losing your data.

not feeling this home button

Agreed. I've already ordered a phone which supposedly is due in 2-3 weeks. But after checking the 7+ out at an Apple Store I walked away thinking, "this feels oddly like an old blackberry touch"
Something about pressing the home button and the entire screen clicking felt off. Maybe I'll get used to pretty quickly when it arrives.

Also not a fan of the jet black. Looks and feels like an upgraded 5c, almost like a hybrid of the two previous phones.

Matte was def the right choice for me

I hate screen protectors. I had a tempered glass protector on my current phone and it was close to what a screen should be but it was very noticeable and very brittle.

Deku Tree

this.
I have literally never used a screen protector and i have never shattered nor scratched a screen. (and i drop my phone a lot...)

These 'drop tests' proof nothing. You can literally deduct nothing from the "results" of these "tests"

it's all about whether the phone lands on a corner (all the force of the impact in one POINT) or the edge (the force distributed along a much larger surface area). And that's completely out of the control of the one who drops

Did you watch the video? I'm not saying it proves what will happen to you. But it's an 11 minute video and they dropped the phone so that it landed on the top, the bottom, the corners, and the edges. And they did all that at numerous different height levels, the highest was ten feet. The video was quite thorough.

Fliesen

Did you watch the video? I'm not saying it proves what will happen to you. But it's an 11 minute video and they dropped the phone so that it landed on the top, the bottom, the corners, and the edges. And they did all that at numerous different height levels, the highest was ten feet. The video was quite thorough.

yes i did, but they did it with the same phone, over and over again.

you'd have to replace the phone with a new one for EVERY.SINGLE.DROP. for this to be even remotely scientific. (because otherwise, a slight dent, a tiny, invidible hairline crack from a previous drop might affect the next time you drop it)
Trust me. These videos mean literally nothing.

The scratch test was decent, the picks of different hardness were good. But these kinds of drop tests are of zero value. (other than entertainment). They're of equal value as "social experiments" on youtube :p

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
this.

If you drop your phone a lot, and you've never had a scratch or cracked screen, you do realize that you were just super lucky, right?

Top Bottom