• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So apple chat did give me a free apple battery case because of the nonsense with the apple store.

I would have preferred a gift card but this will do. Now i have to wait about 12 more hours for my phone to activate. They didn't have a solution to speeding that up.

I would have just preferred that they didn't pull this nonsense at the store.

Apple store screwed me.

So we had two iUP phones to upgrade. We get there for an 8:00pm -8:30pm appointment at 7:30 and stand in line ( wouldn't let us get in line until 7:50). End up getting in around 8:20 pm. The guy seems reasonably nice and he scans my confirmations then heads back to get the phones.

He starts through the t-mobile process for the upgrade. We get through the activation and then he looks at the phones and puts his palm in his hands. He says "hold on" and goes to talk to some other apple store employee.

The moment he left I knew he activated the wrong number on one of the phones. We stood there for 15 minutes and he called us over. He started through the process again to activate one of the phones. He gets the phone activated and we test it.

He then goes through the iUP process for the other phone. He speeds through it and says "It's late I'm sure the phone works so you should just head out " . We said sure and took the phones home.

Surprise, my phone doesn't activate and because he activated it with the wrong number I can't activate that sim for 24 hours. He clearly knew that the phone would not work but hurried us out because he wanted to go home. Pretty annoyed with this. He never even admitted to messing anything up and now I have to deal with his mess.

I'll be contacting them tomorrow. At least fess up to the mistake and don't push us out the store.

Here is a summary of what happened

Jigolo

giphy.gif
I made a fist and quenched my teeth. That hurt to watch

Erebus

i only know that you can't restore a backup made in 10.0 on a phone running 9.3.5 (i had my iPhone 6 exchanged for a refurbished yesterday)

I'd presume devices of higher iOS versions should be backwards compatible to backups of lower versions.
How else could you switch from an iPhone 4S to a 7 without losing your data.
Makes sense, I guess.

Deku Tree

yes i did, but they did it with the same phone, over and over again.

you'd have to replace the phone with a new one for EVERY.SINGLE.DROP. for this to be even remotely scientific. (because otherwise, a slight dent, a tiny, invidible hairline crack from a previous drop might affect the next time you drop it)
Trust me. These videos mean literally nothing.

The scratch test was decent, the picks of different hardness were good. But these kinds of drop tests are of zero value. (other than entertainment). They're of equal value as "social experiments" on youtube :p

It's even more impressive to me that the iPhone 7 survived all of those back to back drops. Nobody said it was scientific.

Owari

NOOOOO

but in reality who does this? These scratch tests are very unrealistic. I saw one where he put the phone in a bucket of bolts and shook it, like no shit that's gonna cause scratches.

I want to see a test where they just place the phone down on random surfaces and see how well it fares. Not like SEE? BLOWTORCH BURNS THING.

Owari

So apple chat did give me a free apple battery case because of the nonsense with the apple store.

I would have preferred a gift card but this will do. Now i have to wait about 12 more hours for my phone to activate. They didn't have a solution to speeding that up.

I would have just preferred that they didn't pull this nonsense at the store.

How did you go about doing this? They totally screwed up my order and when I called them out on it they didn't offer a thing.

interestingly I actually love it.

Me too. My biggest thing, like others have said, however, is how it's still a small button when the entire bottom clicks. There's a bit of a disconnect in my brain.

Anyways, you can definitely see where they're headed with the iPhone next year, and I'm excited!

DOWN

Banned
Thanks to the new second stereo speaker at the top of the phone, notifications sound pretty cool having their tone come from the top of the phone where the notification itself pops up rather than the bottom of the screen

robotrock

Banned
Probably going to crosspost this into the iOS10 thread:

Is the music app ever pretty buggy about downloading music from Apple Music?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Thanks to the new second stereo speaker at the top of the phone, notifications sound pretty cool having their tone come from the top of the phone where the notification itself pops up rather than the bottom of the screen

That never crossed my mind. Fantastic.

You guys need to find a site where you scroll through options. The feedback is rather interesting.

Change your Ringtone Vibration to Synchronized (Default) and then try the different ringtones. The way the vibration matches up is pretty impressive on some of them.

sangreal

sybchronized only shows up for certain tones

I use the classic tri-tone and it doesn't work, but for some of the newer ones it does

same for ringtones -- doesn't work w/ the classic ones

robotrock

Banned
Man, Apple Music is kind of annoying. I thought resubscribing would be a good idea, but it's trying to pull a bunch of my music that I apparently uploaded to my iCloud music library a year or two ago, and it's ruining all of my tracklistings. Now I'm trying to delete my iCloud music library, going album by album.

Sh0k

I ordered my iPhone 7 at the ATT store using the upgrade offer, received my iPhone yesterday at my house but I haven't receive any instructions on how to return the older iPhone, neither by email or in the box. Do you know how long it usually takes to get the instructions or do I need to go to the ATT store ?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Probably going to crosspost this into the iOS10 thread:

Is the music app ever pretty buggy about downloading music from Apple Music?
There's an Apple Music OT in community also.

Generally no. There is goofiness where you add a playlist to your library, but have the option turned off to automatically add songs, and you download the playlist, but the only way you'll see the song(s) is in the playlist as you've chosen to not add those songs to your library.

The option I'm talking about is in Settings. It's turned off by default (add playlist songs to library). People were pissed at launch that they'd add a playlist and their carefully curated album list would be screwed up by one odd songs.

Thaedolus

The lack of charging with headphones is affecting me more than I thought it would, now I'm thinking about getting another smart case...all the third party ones seem to use micro USB, but the silicone exterior of my old smart case was so easily ripped up I don't really want the apple brand one. Sigh

robotrock

Banned
A couple of threads on MacRumors discussing the same issue I'm having about the app opening/closing animation stutters

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-7-7-ios-10-app-close-animation.1996953/
http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...tutter-when-closing-apps-on-iphone-7.1997211/

I figured out the Music widget only displays albums you have downloaded, and I only had that weird unresponsive button thing once...so maybe I'm okay?

There's an Apple Music OT in community also.

Generally no. There is goofiness where you add a playlist to your library, but have the option turned off to automatically add songs, and you download the playlist, but the only way you'll see the song(s) is in the playlist as you've chosen to not add those songs to your library.

The option I'm talking about is in Settings. It's turned off by default (add playlist songs to library). People were pissed at launch that they'd add a playlist and their carefully curated album list would be screwed up by one odd songs.
Yeah I think my problem is that the library I uploaded with Apple Music was going nuts

Animator

A few minutes later it still looks premium. You have to put it in a pocket with keys to even scratch it, and even then the scratches are only visible under direct light.

topic_iphone_4.png

Matte black looks great too, but the Jet Black is pure sexiness.

You posted a cg render of a phone. It doesn't look like that irl.

Fliesen

while the 4 / 4S was revolutionary at its time, i don't really like its aesthetics anymore - the black iPhone 5 was a huge improvement / refinement over the heavy brick that was the 4.

I actually think the white iPhone 4 looks dramatically better than the black

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Glad i went with Matte over Jet.

Much prefer the matte look after seeing it in the store.

love my matte black 7. easily the nicest looking iPhone I've owned (had one since the 3GS launch).

Not really agreeing that the "whole bottom of the phone" vibrates on the home click.. I mean simple physics dictates that when you click the physical home button, the actual "bottom of the phone" vibrates with that physical click. same thing here. My opinion was that 1 was way too subtle, and 3 is overkill in most cases. 2 seems right for me, though even times it's sitting on the table and I press down (again, physics) I don't sometimes feel 2. But I left it there. oddly, no clicking on the keyboard is messing with me. might turn it back on.

robotrock

Banned
Is reformatting frequently bad for the hardware in the long term? I've basically done it about two times now, gonna do a third and final one now that I've figured out my issues.

I ordered my iPhone 7 at the ATT store using the upgrade offer, received my iPhone yesterday at my house but I haven't receive any instructions on how to return the older iPhone, neither by email or in the box. Do you know how long it usually takes to get the instructions or do I need to go to the ATT store ?
You should receive an email with instructions on how to continue the trade-in. Otherwise refer to this page on their site explaining what to do next. It says you can either do it online with the instructions provided or take it to a store.
https://www.att.com/esupport/articl...are&siteId=lw9MynSeamY-vm5cEh7LQTcEpyvDH_tGvQ

VertPin

This. I would love to see a video of an iPhone near a hot shower for thirty minutes. I know steam gets in much easier than water and dust.

Top Bottom