• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

A few minutes later it still looks premium. You have to put it in a pocket with keys to even scratch it, and even then the scratches are only visible under direct light.

topic_iphone_4.png

Eh it seems like everyday life wouldn't be kind unless you throw a case on it (Cnet scratch test is the best I've seen).

https://youtu.be/4f8Hpx0Y-eA

Also the iPhone 4 glass seemed to scratch less easily than this one.

kaskade

Bad. Steam gets in places more than a shallow depth of water.

I kind of figured that. Maybe the new speaker is loud enough that I don't need to anyway. I was actually surprised when I heard it the first time. I forgot that it had the front facing one too. Makes watching videos so much better. No more cupping the bottom.

randome

Anyone go from a plus to regular? I still have time to switch but can't decide what to do. Lately the 6+ I'm using has felt kinda big.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Is reformatting frequently bad for the hardware in the long term? I've basically done it about two times now, gonna do a third and final one now that I've figured out my issues.

No the NAND chips on these have insanely long life span.

Coming from an iPhone 6 I love how fast a full reset is on my 256GB 7 Plus. Thank you NVME gods. 😊

Moreche

I moved fro android on my One Plus 3 to a black 7 and I'll have to say, it's great to be back.
It's hard to explain but when your house and family is filled with iPad and iPhone users it's extremely comforting to be using the same device again.
I've ordered an Apple TV and Apple Watch 2 and I'm here to stay. Now let's see those new MBPs come out.

Ashhong

Been playing around with my gf 7 and while I love 3D touch, I think it's a waste that for some apps it just replaced long hold. For example the music app, a long hold on any other phone brings up the same menu as the 3D touch. Why not have two different functions? Waste

GeoNeo

I disagree.
For someone with an iPhone 6, would you recommend an upgrade to 7?

How would you sell it to me?

I upgraded from 6 freaking loving it. Huge jump in performance & features also going to iPhone 7 plus has been great awesome for media surfing the web etc.

- love using hey Siri while ph is locked
- 3D Touch is cool already using it a lot
- viewing DCI P3 example content is amazing on this screen can't wait till more apps and sites support it.
- the camera upgrade is godlike really appropriate that
- huge jump up in battery life is killer I legit don't have to worry about battery life before on my iPhone 6 it started to get really annoying with my usage load
- the speed of the 256 GB nvme storage is simply insane
- I can't get over fast web content on this thing loads and displays with no lag which you would run into on the 6.

Sh0k

You should receive an email with instructions on how to continue the trade-in. Otherwise refer to this page on their site explaining what to do next. It says you can either do it online with the instructions provided or take it to a store.
https://www.att.com/esupport/articl...are&siteId=lw9MynSeamY-vm5cEh7LQTcEpyvDH_tGvQ

Thanks, I found that page and was about to edit my message. Just filled all the information and received the email confirmation, they are sending all the packing materials to send the iPhone back.

Is reformatting frequently bad for the hardware in the long term? I've basically done it about two times now, gonna do a third and final one now that I've figured out my issues.
No the NAND chips on these have insanely long life span.

Coming from an iPhone 6 I love how fast a full reset is on my 256GB 7 Plus. Thank you NVME gods. 😊

It's not really the speed of NVMe. A full erase and reset just blows away the encryption key for the flash and reinstalls a stock OS.

Ashhong

To give the opposite opinion, if your 6 isn't showing slowdown, I don't think it's worth it. My 6 performs great, and have no trouble loading content. Then again I don't game on my phone. The biggest advantage I can see is the 3D touch, but even then like I said some apps seem to simply use 3D in place of the long hold.

Better camera, battery and performance are the other improvements, but don't know why you need selling on that. You either want those or you dont. Also I think touchID is almost too fast now on the 7. It's too easy to unlock the screen when I just want to see notifications. I could use the option to unlock with a second home tap but that's lame. It's perfect how it is on my 6

robotrock

Banned
You guys know the bit where when you set up the phone, it sends a verification code to your phone number to make sure the account is yours?

Well my phone doesn't seem to be recieving any codes, and now Apple has sent me "too many codes" sent, and if I try doing the Apple recovery process, it does the same thing.

Ashhong

You guys know the bit where when you set up the phone, it sends a verification code to your phone number to make sure the account is yours?

Well my phone doesn't seem to be recieving any codes, and now Apple has sent me "too many codes" sent, and if I try doing the Apple recovery process, it does the same thing.

Isn't that just for two factor authentication? Just set up my girlfriend's and had no such prompt

GeoNeo

I disagree.
It's not really the speed of NVMe. A full erase and reset just blows away the encryption key for the flash and reinstalls a stock OS.

I always do Erase all Content and Settings. On my iPhone 6 with 50GB of data this would take ages did the same on my recent iPhone 7 Plus which had restored from 50GB backup and it took fuck all time thanks to the faster NAND & NVME controller on my 256GB 7+.

Second time around I simply set it up as new phone since I wanted to pick and choose what I wanted to keep from my old phone.

Moreche

The only thing I'm think of is exchanging my 7 to a 7Plus, I'm wary of the size but that extra screen size, camera and battery is extremely tempting.

Got mine. The phone is pretty great. The home button is really good. On setting #3 it really does just feel like a button that doesn't feel as cheap lol. Taptic works really well.

Everything about it is top notch. Battery is cray cray. Matte black is an amazing colour. Next years iphone should be near perfect if the rumours are true considering how quality this is.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
to add to GeoNeo's list
* iOS 10 actually hides many useful feature behind a 3D touch
* touchID on the 7 is way faster than it is on the 6

Yup, 3D touch is really underrated feels good to have a really fast "right" mouse click at the press of my fingers with no long holds.

sangreal

did you check your other ios devices? I was actually just setting up 2-factor a few minutes ago and when I tried to verify my 6 it sent the code to my 7

Owari

Eh it seems like everyday life wouldn't be kind unless you throw a case on it (Cnet scratch test is the best I've seen).

https://youtu.be/4f8Hpx0Y-eA

Also the iPhone 4 glass seemed to scratch less easily than this one.
Thanks for posting this. Yeah accidents do happen, but I plan on babying the crap out of the phone. Not planning on sliding the phone on a desk at all.. in fact I'm going to carry a micro fiber cloth for it to rest on/carried in at all times. If this doesn't prevent scratches, after 14 days I'll consider returning it and going matte. :D

robotrock

Banned
did you check your other ios devices? I was actually just setting up 2-factor a few minutes ago and when I tried to verify my 6 it sent the code to my 7

The only other iOS device I have is a 6+ and I just reformatted that a few hours ago, before all of this started happening. It doesn't have any of my Apple info on there yet, and if I try putting it in there, it'll give me the same verification code thing.

I upgraded from 6 freaking loving it. Huge jump in performance & features also going to iPhone 7 plus has been great awesome for media surfing the web etc.

- 3D Touch is cool already using it a lot
- viewing DCI P3 example content is amazing on this screen can't wait till more apps and sites support it.
- the camera upgrade is godlike really appropriate that
- huge jump up in battery life is killer I legit don't have to worry about battery life before on my iPhone 6 it started to get really annoying with my usage load
- the speed of the 256 GB nvme storage is simply insane
- I can't get over fast web content on this thing loads and displays with no lag which you would run into on the 6.

So what you're saying is that when I get mine, the jump from my Nexus 5 will be pretty good? :D

What's the general consensus on the Matte Black vs the Jet Black?

I'm in desperate need of a phone and this is where I am struggling the most. The Jet Black is just asking to be scratched and magnetized by finger prints, while the Matte Black almost looks like a dark gray more-so than a black.

icespide

Banned

I'm in desperate need of a phone and this is where I am struggling the most. The Jet Black is just asking to be scratched and magnetized by finger prints, while the Matte Black almost looks like a dark gray more-so than a black.
matte black is the only color worth considering

GeoNeo

I disagree.
The only other iOS device I have is a 6+ and I just reformatted that a few hours ago, before all of this started happening. It doesn't have any of my Apple info on there yet, and if I try putting it in there, it'll give me the same verification code thing.

Did you ever save your recovery code? If so call Apple they will be able to help right now your iCloud account is on lock.

I always use two step and have been since they first made the option available normally just get asked what other Apple device I want the code to get sent to (or Phone number that I have registered), but since you had wiped your iPhone 6 before it must have not shown up on list.

But, yeah just call Apple they should be able to fix it no problem. Will be really fast if you have recovery code will take a little bit longer if you never saved it anywhere.

So what you're saying is that when I get mine, the jump from my Nexus 5 will be pretty good? :D

I sold my iPhone 6 week half before 7 came out was using my Note 3 with stock and custom roms haha lets just say it was beyond fucking annoying having to deal with so much lag. You'll love the jump in performance and features man. ;p

Assault

Matte black looks pretty dark, much darker than what the promo shots suggest.

robotrock

Banned
Did you ever save your recovery code? If so call Apple they will be able to help right now your iCloud account is on lock.

I always use two step and have been since they first made the option available normally just get asked what other Apple device I want the code to get sent to (or Phone number that I have registered), but since you had wiped your iPhone 6 before it must have not shown up on list.

But, yeah just call Apple they should be able to fix it no problem. Will be really fast if you have recovery code will take a little bit longer if you never saved it anywhere.

I sold my iPhone 6 week half before 7 came out was using my Note 3 with stock and custom roms haha lets just say it was beyond fucking annoying having to deal with so much lag. You'll love the jump in performance and features man. ;p

Yeah I lost my recovery code. Thanks! I'll call them, hope it doesn't take too long

Owari

I think you'll be happier with the jet black, as it's the only iPhone 7 that actually features a "new" design.

matte black is the only color worth considering
Considering you can't even get a Jet Black until late November...

number11

Meh.. I think I'm still gonna end up with the jet black. As long as the front doesn't scratch, the back getting scuffed isn't a big deal for me.

Guess Who

Banned
They hid the antenna bands really well on the black and jet black models, but they still stick out as much as ever on all the white models, especially the gold ones. :\

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Matte Black almost looks like a dark gray more-so than a black.

Check the video below this is the best representation of how "black" the matte black phone is in Apple promo media. (As long as the screen your viewing on has good enough contrast ratio :p )

https://youtu.be/Q6dsRpVyyWs?t=1m36s

Also, noticed it "sucks" in whatever light around it and defuses it really cool to see in person.

One other thing antenna bands are hidden as fuck on both the black phones which is really appreciated. :p

Fliesen

They hid the antenna bands really well on the black and jet black models, but they still stick out as much as ever on all the white models, especially the gold ones. :\

yeah, i was planning on going for a pink rose gold phone this time around, but the way the matte black has almost invisible seams made me go for that one...

robotrock that sucks but stop reformatting your phone man!

i know, right? that's some strange addiction he's got going. Anyone up for staging an intervention?

Owari

They hid the antenna bands really well on the black and jet black models, but they still stick out as much as ever on all the white models, especially the gold ones. :
Yeah. With this model you almost have to choose a black shade. I know tons of people who have always had white iPhones who all got matte or jet black this time around. The white models are aging really bad. The huge bezels are more pronounced, and the antenna bands are kinda gross. Plus, everyone will just think it's a 6 or 6S.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
I'm really hoping new 15" Macbook Pro comes in Matte Black. Would be perfect replacement for my current rMBP.

- Matte Black

- Kaby Lake

- 32 or 64 GB DDR4 option (for work)

- DCI-P3 Retina Screen

- AMD Polaris GPU / Or NV

Come on baby.

giga

I'm really hoping new 15" Macbook Pro comes in Matte Black. Would be perfect replacement for my current rMBP.

- Matte Black

- Kaby Lake

- 32 or 64 GB DDR4 option (for work)

- DCI-P3 Retina Screen

- AMD Polaris GPU / Or NV

Come on baby.

No Kaby Lake. Intel delayed again.

Been playing around with my gf 7 and while I love 3D touch, I think it's a waste that for some apps it just replaced long hold. For example the music app, a long hold on any other phone brings up the same menu as the 3D touch. Why not have two different functions? Waste

Because the long-press gesture and 3D Touch don't mix very well. Perfect example is rearranging icons on the home screen – it now literally takes me a few seconds to get the icons into edit mode as I try to figure out the right amount of pressure to engage the long-press gesture. IMO on 3D touch capable phones the long-press gesture should go away.

It's great until you have an iPhone, Watch, and a nearby iPad all respond at the same time. 😬 I actually use it a lot more on my Watch, but I have to walk away from my iPhone if it's on the desk. You'd think they could measure the volume from the respective mics and figure out which device is closest and only respond through that.

With Apple's 2FA it gives you the option to send to a particular device, or send to your phone number. The safer option is usually sending to a particular device. I've never seen it fail to send a code; perhaps your phone wasn't linked to the number yet because it was sending to the phone you were setting up?

Anyone on verizon that just cannot activate? I'm so pissed. Been driving around town between Verizon and Apple and no one can figure out why my damn phone won't activate.

Top Bottom