• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

Ugh that gif. Take the $900 you spent on the phone you just ruined and donate it to a food bank or something. Those people kind of disgust me.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
It's great until you have an iPhone, Watch, and a nearby iPad all respond at the same time. 😬 I actually use it a lot more on my Watch, but I have to walk away from my iPhone if it's on the desk. You'd think they could measure the volume from the respective mics and figure out which device is closest and only respond through that.

Haha I could see that be annoying. I only have iPad Air 2, rMBP, & iPhone 7 Plus atm so only 7 plus can do Hey Siri while running off battery.

Nooo why! I always wonder if these YouTubers are supplied free phones to do that sort of thing? Anyone know?

Maybe he buys the phone with Apple Care + fucks it up generates money off the views and goes into Apple pays little bit of money down the line and gets full phone replacement while still coming off with a huge profit? 😨

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Anyone go from a plus to regular? I still have time to switch but can't decide what to do. Lately the 6+ I'm using has felt kinda big.
I did. And I'm happy with my choice. Maybe if Apple cuts down those ridiculous bezels on the iPhone 8, I'll consider going Plus next year.

Apple about to get rid of that huge forehead/chin bezel, brehs. Getting rid of the headphone jack and the mechanical home button was step 1. Clean that up and along with overdue screen tech upgrades and the 7S+ will be GOAT.

samn

Nooo why! I always wonder if these YouTubers are supplied free phones to do that sort of thing? Anyone know?

they might calculate the views and subs makes enough money to profit

I doubt Apple gives them a review unit just so they can make it look like crap.

Servbot24

Banned
Ugh that gif. Take the $900 you spent on the phone you just ruined and donate it to a food bank or something. Those people kind of disgust me.

Then they don't have clicks, and then they don't have a job. You could tell any company to stop throwing away money on electricity and donate it instead, but then they'd have to shut down.

Rootbeer

Banned
I used my 7 Plus all night listening to podcasts laying in bed (yeah, I have a problem)

Battery barely took a hit. It's on-screen activity that uses the most battery. You can go ages on audio alone.

Anyway. Just gotta survive on lightning earpods for a little while until the Beatsx come out (Oct?)

SuperPac

Anyone go from a plus to regular? I still have time to switch but can't decide what to do. Lately the 6+ I'm using has felt kinda big.

I went from the Plus to the regular. I liked the screen and camera but the phone was too big in the pocket, harder to use one-handed, and I hated the landscape springboard and mail app views. Rotation lock was not a good solution for me with that. Decided to go back to the regular-sized 7 and I am quite happy with that.

kaskade

I think I'm going to end up with a leather case. I have it naked right now but it feels a little slippery. I feel like one day it's gonna fly out of my hand when I pull it out of my pocket.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I think I'm going to end up with a leather case. I have it naked right now but it feels a little slippery. I feel like one day it's gonna fly out of my hand when I pull it out of my pocket.
Jet black edition gives you that nice grip on the device.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
I got the black Apple leather case (first time I've gotten 1 for iPhone), it feels really nice still slightly slippery but I guess once the leather wears it will become more grippy? Anyone that has used Apple leather case before weigh in?

Moreche

I've decided to take my black 7 in tomorrow and wait for a jet black 7.
I'm on the IUP programme so I expect some scratches won't affect me swapping to the 8 next year but that jet back is just to beautiful to ignore.

icespide

Banned
I've decided to take my black 7 in tomorrow and wait for a jet black 7.
I'm on the IUP programme so I expect some scratches won't affect me swapping to the 8 next year but that jet back is just to beautiful to ignore.
can you do returns or exchanges with IUP?

jaosobno

Rootbeer

Banned
Okay. I can confirm that I hear the sound on my iPhone 7 Plus 256GB (Black). It is loudest near the top of the phone (front or back). I have to literally press it up right next to my ear to hear it though, in a quiet environment.

Also it's not just a steady faint hiss. I also hear crackling occasionally but it's very, very faint.

Not sure how normal this is. But looks like lots are reporting it on macrumors.

*edit* I tried running google octane on my 7 Plus and my 6S Plus:

https://developers.google.com/octane/

7 Plus was noticable when held to your hear as I described. 6S Plus barely audible.

Erebus

Okay. I can confirm that I hear the sound on my iPhone 7 Plus 256GB (Black). It is loudest near the top of the phone (front or back). I have to literally press it up right next to my ear to hear it though, in a quiet environment.

Also it's not just a steady faint hiss. I also hear crackling occasionally but it's very, very faint.

I haven't compared any other phones to see if I can hear anything on those or not... hmm
Hissgate

GeoNeo

I disagree.
If this catches mainstream attention, how much do you want to bet that the almost indiscernible hissing sound becomes a bigger story than Note 7s literally burning people and setting houses on fire across the world?

Apple removing the bloody headphone port was more wide spread news I feel like then the Note 7 shit. Even on GAF you have way more replies regarding Apple and them removing the headphone port then Note 7 battery stuff.

Red

Apple removing the bloody headphone port was more wide spread news I feel like then the Note 7 shit. Even on GAF you have way more replies regarding Apple and them removing the headphone port then Note 7 battery stuff.
There is a vocal contingent on GAF that reflexively vomits a tirade on Apple at the slightest provocation. Samsung does not attract that kind of crazy.

samn

If this catches mainstream attention, how much do you want to bet that the almost indiscernible hissing sound becomes a bigger story than Note 7s literally burning people and setting houses on fire across the world?

and even worse, waiting 2 weeks before telling the government it needs to be recalled

how anyone can trust Samsung after this fiasco is beyond me.

-

as for this hissing, it reminds me of the coil whine experienced by some graphics cards.

7 Plus was noticable when held to your hear as I described. 6S Plus barely audible.

Lol, that's quite interesting. So after reading this I put the top back of my iPhone 6 against my ear and I could hear some weird hiss/crackle thing (only thing running was safari with neogaf). Very very faint though, I think I could only hear it because I'm in a very quiet room.

Erebus

I bet on it too, the Apple hate is strong. Bendgate was literally everywhere when the iPhone 6 launched.

jaosobno

So if I understood you correctly, the only way to hear it is to press it to your ear? You can't hear the sound from normal using distance?

Rootbeer

Banned
Lol, that's quite interesting. So after reading this I put the top back of my iPhone 6 against my ear and I could hear some weird hiss/crackle thing (only thing running was safari with neogaf). Very very faint though, I think I could only hear it because I'm in a very quiet room.

So if I understood you correctly, the only way to hear it is to press it to your ear? You can't hear the sound from normal using distance?

Yes you can hear similar sounds on older iphones but from the rudimentary testing I did, the 7 is the loudest -- but it's still very faint and minor. I only have a 6S+ to test against.

I would say almost nobody should be able to hear it during any kind of normal usage scenario. If you are making a phone call, even the normal phone static you hear during the entire call is much, much louder.

Has anyone noticed any battery issues? I charged it fully around 12:30 and have since barely used it but it is now at 17% and the break down shows:

OLWmiJC.jpg

Edit: Time since last charge 7 hours 49 minutes. Standby 10 hours 6 minutes.

had to sync my iPhone with iTunes for the first time in years in order to get back my custom ringtones. I was legit terrified syncing with iTunes would somehow fuck everything up. I hate iTunes

I wasn't aware that iTunes didn't back up your own music that you transferred over, so I lost 30 gigs of music that I'd accumulated over the last 20 years. I deleted the music form my external hard drive after transferring and backing up my phone, thinking I was safe :(

i only know that you can't restore a backup made in 10.0 on a phone running 9.3.5 (i had my iPhone 6 exchanged for a refurbished yesterday)

I'd presume devices of higher iOS versions should be backwards compatible to backups of lower versions.
How else could you switch from an iPhone 4S to a 7 without losing your data.

If the iOS version of your backup is too ancient you will be required to update the OS before it will back up, which can cause problems for people with limited storage on their phones.

I made a fist and quenched my teeth. That hurt to watch

So you poured water all over them? Haha (typo).

I want to know how it is with steam. I wonder if I could put it on the shelf in my shower and listen to a podcast.

How long are your showers???

You guys know the bit where when you set up the phone, it sends a verification code to your phone number to make sure the account is yours?

Well my phone doesn't seem to be receiving any codes, and now Apple has sent me "too many codes" sent, and if I try doing the Apple recovery process, it does the same thing.

The only other iOS device I have is a 6+ and I just reformatted that a few hours ago, before all of this started happening. It doesn't have any of my Apple info on there yet, and if I try putting it in there, it'll give me the same verification code thing.

Did you ever save your recovery code? If so call Apple they will be able to help right now your iCloud account is on lock.

I always use two step and have been since they first made the option available normally just get asked what other Apple device I want the code to get sent to (or Phone number that I have registered), but since you had wiped your iPhone 6 before it must have not shown up on list.

But, yeah just call Apple they should be able to fix it no problem. Will be really fast if you have recovery code will take a little bit longer if you never saved it anywhere.

With Apple's 2FA it gives you the option to send to a particular device, or send to your phone number. The safer option is usually sending to a particular device. I've never seen it fail to send a code; perhaps your phone wasn't linked to the number yet because it was sending to the phone you were setting up?

I'm confused/concerned. I have 2FA enabled and the code is sent to my phone number. I purposely did this because I know I will have a new device every year or two, but my phone number will be with me forever. Can't I/robotrock just skip iCloud setup when the phone starts for the first time, activate the phone, and then sign in to iCloud, which would then text a code to a now-working phone? If robotrock did this, I don't understand why it didn't work. Choosing to have the code sent to a device doesn't make any sense because people sell their devices all the time, and they can get lost or break a lot easier than you can lose access to your phone number.

Battery on the 7+ is holding up like a champ. Been off charger since 2am, downloaded 700 songs from Apple Music and I'm at 58%

The battery is always amazing for the first two months. Come back in this thread in June and let us know how it's holding up :(

Good thing I can't hear for shit! As long as it's just a noise (and not indicative of a larger problem) it wouldn't bother me.

samn

Because the long-press gesture and 3D Touch don't mix very well. Perfect example is rearranging icons on the home screen – it now literally takes me a few seconds to get the icons into edit mode as I try to figure out the right amount of pressure to engage the long-press gesture. IMO on 3D touch capable phones the long-press gesture should go away.

That means you'd have to either get rid of one of the gesture's functionality, or try and combine them. This would be awkward in quite a few places - for example, the keyboard, where a long press selects an alternate character and a force press changes the position of the cursor.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
I'm confused/concerned. I have 2FA enabled and the code is sent to my phone number. I purposely did this because I know I will have a new device every year or two, but my phone number will be with me forever. Can't I/robotrock just skip iCloud setup when the phone starts for the first time, activate the phone, and then sign in to iCloud, which would then text a code to a now-working phone? If robotrock did this, I don't understand why it didn't work. Choosing to have the code sent to a device doesn't make any sense because people sell their devices all the time, and they can get lost or break a lot easier than you can lose access to your phone number.

I've had no issues with code being sent to my phone number before I honestly don't know why he did not get the code.

Rootbeer

Banned
Good thing I can't hear for shit! As long as it's just a noise (and not indicative of a larger problem) it wouldn't bother me.
Reportedly it occurs on ALL iPhone 7 models. It seems normal. But new info could be coming out as people are only just now learning about this. I doubt Apple will address it if it's really present in every phone.

tommyguns

Battery life on my 7 is amazing. 5 hours in and only at 40%.

Nice! Mine seems to be slightly less than that. Getting about 8-9 hours of use. (Over the past day haha)

When I inboxed and set up my phone I didn't charge it up to 100%. I just used it right away, to about 20. Then charged it all the way up. I'm now all worried that I should have charged it up to a 100 before use at all...

Yes I've been using the phone all day, since I woke up.

Nice! Mine seems to be slightly less than that. Getting about 8-9 hours of use. (Over the past day haha)

When I inboxed and set up my phone I didn't charge it up to 100%. I just used it right away, to about 20. Then charged it all the way up. I'm now all worried that I should have charged it up to a 100 before use at all...

I have barely used mine since it fully charged around 12:30, and it is at 16%. I have only taken a few photos, and browsed the internet for around 20 minutes, other than that it has been asleep all this time so it seems pretty unusual compared to my old iPhone 6.

Yeah, if you skip the iCloud setup when you're setting up the phone, then activate it later that should be fine. Regarding devices, whatever "trusted" devices you have attached to your Apple ID will show up on the list to send codes to. If you only use your phone number, that's your only safeguard. You lose your phone, you lose 2FA (and hope you kept the recovery code). I like to have two trusted devices so I always have a backup to send to if something happens.

p.s. sorry to hear about the loss of your music, that sucks! But yeah backups have never backed up your music; I have to transfer music to my iPhone every time I get a new one. I mean imagine if people were restoring their phone from an iCloud backup with 30gb of music in it...

Top Bottom