• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Nice! Mine seems to be slightly less than that. Getting about 8-9 hours of use. (Over the past day haha)

When I inboxed and set up my phone I didn't charge it up to 100%. I just used it right away, to about 20. Then charged it all the way up. I'm now all worried that I should have charged it up to a 100 before use at all...
Yes I charged mine up to 100% after setting it up. I don't know if it has any correlation though.

tommyguns

Yes I charged mine up to 100% after setting it up. I don't know if it has any correlation though.

Hmmm. I know "back in the day" they used to say to charge before use...but I can't find anything stating that for this phone on any user guide or anything.

Gonna let my phone die tonight completely than charge all the way up

Ecto311

Pre Ordered last weekend and it shows "preparing for shipment" but shows a delivery date of october 14 or so. Anyone else see this or have any idea when it is coming? Its a suprise for my wife since she likes her iPhone now but wanted the new one or if the 14th is accurate by most accounts?

Have the hissing sound on mine when I hold the back up to my ear while running Octane. Can't hear it from the front. Kind of sucks, but considering the limited stock of this phone, not feeling the need to run into the store to get this replaced until demand cools down..

robotrock

Banned
I'm confused/concerned. I have 2FA enabled and the code is sent to my phone number. I purposely did this because I know I will have a new device every year or two, but my phone number will be with me forever. Can't I/robotrock just skip iCloud setup when the phone starts for the first time, activate the phone, and then sign in to iCloud, which would then text a code to a now-working phone? If robotrock did this, I don't understand why it didn't work. Choosing to have the code sent to a device doesn't make any sense because people sell their devices all the time, and they can get lost or break a lot easier than you can lose access to your phone number.

There's no way to skip the iCloud set up. I could have created a new iCloud account, but I didn't want to do that and risk tying my phone number to it.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Have the hissing sound on mine when I hold the back up to my ear while running Octane. Can't hear it from the front. Kind of sucks, but considering the limited stock of this phone, not feeling the need to run into the store to get this replaced until demand cools down..

Just tested on my iPhone 7 Plus while running Octane legit have to put my ear up against phone to hear it. Sounds like transistor whine.

toohectic

It's great until you have an iPhone, Watch, and a nearby iPad all respond at the same time. 😬 I actually use it a lot more on my Watch, but I have to walk away from my iPhone if it's on the desk. You'd think they could measure the volume from the respective mics and figure out which device is closest and only respond through that

I thought iOS 10 addressed this issue which results in only 1 of the nearby devices responding to a Hey Siri command. Not sure how it prioritizes it to determines which device to use. Hopefully the phone ring is the same way. I hated how all my devices would start ringing when anyone would call my phone; and they would usually continue ringing for a bit even after I picked up the call.

Deku Tree

When does the AT&T get a free iPhone by trading in your old one program end?

My phones not getting delivered until Oct. 5. Am I out of luck?

S7 and Apple do their stuff differently. I'm assuming he means about 5 hours of screen on time. Screen on time isn't recorded in the battery statistics.

Isn't that what's displayed when you click the little clock icon in the battery stats page? It'looks tell you how long you've been inside each app and how long something's been running in the background.

I thought iOS 10 addressed this issue which results in only 1 of the nearby devices responding to a Hey Siri command. Not sure how it prioritizes it to determines which device to use. Hopefully the phone ring is the same way. I hated how all my devices would start ringing when anyone would call my phone; and they would usually continue ringing for a bit even after I picked up the call.

Not sure, but it happened to me last night with my 7, Watch w/ watchOS 3, and an iPad Pro on 10. In fact I did it just now – lifted my Watch to say Hey Siri and my 7 perked up also.

Should my contacts be on iCloud? I thought they were saved onto the microsim...

Look in Settings -> iCloud. That shows you what services are being synced to iCloud.

Deku Tree

According to the rep at my local store, if you pre-ordered when the deal was live you should be good.

Thanks.

An employee at a local att store just told me it ends on 9/30 but I'm not sure if he knew what he was talking about.

I guess I'll just try it. My phones delivery date is early October.

toohectic

I messed around with one at Best But today, I really like it. Home button feels great, pictures look great, matte black looks awesome, Plus doesn't feel too big to me.

I've been checking a few times a day in hopes that my ship date will move up, still October 11-20 so far =/

Draper

What's up with the x1 zoom function on the Plus.

It's suppose to be same image quality, but it looks like absolute garbage.

Whoever said the home button feels like the hinged trackpad was right on the money. Feels exactly the same, like you're pressing in the bottom of the phone. Works well enough for me though.

Overall just super impressed with the phone so far (7+ Matte Black). It's thin, fast, photos are good and now I get all the stuff I missed out on from the 6S. Definitely some glitches but new phone + new OS + day two is not surprising.

Apple about to get rid of that huge forehead/chin bezel, brehs. Getting rid of the headphone jack and the mechanical home button was step 1. Clean that up and along with overdue screen tech upgrades and the 7S+ will be GOAT.
They'd have to just got 8 at that point. Can't imagine they would call a major hardware revision and S model

What's the bug? I have 3 separate speakers, my car audio and a pair of headphones hooked up and they all work fine. Don't use the phone function tho.

Randomly disconnecting. The bluetooth on the phone will randomly turn off if the connection gets weak for a moment.

This has happened three times since iOS 10 (perhaps 20 hours total listening time)

Hooked up my 7 for the first time in the car today. I have an external audio plug from my stereo I've always used to hook my iPhones. I didn't have any local music on my phone yet, only Apple Music streaming (I made sure to turn on high-quality first), but yikes...it doesn't sound too good. Really compressed, not much dynamic range. Everything's a bit muffled. I will have to put some high-bitrate audio and listen again later to make sure it's not just the streams, but not a good first impression.

Another oddity is, since iOS 9 when I've plugged my iPhone into the car, the music controls come up on the lock screen. Really convenient. Today, with the 7 and the floppy lightning dongle, no dice. Had to unlock the phone and go into the Music app. I don't know if this is a bug or what, but overall not a great first experience with the jams.

toohectic

Another oddity is, since iOS 9 when I've plugged my iPhone into the car, the music controls come up on the lock screen. Really convenient. Today, with the 7 and the floppy lightning dongle, no dice. Had to unlock the phone and go into the Music app. I don't know if this is a bug or what, but overall not a great first experience with the jams.

In your prior setup, were you plugged into the Lightning port and charging from a USB port built into the car? If so, you should be able to do the same with your 7. The music likely is sent over the USB cable so you may not need the adapter cable. Were you connecting both the charging cable and the aux cable on your old iPhone? You may not have need the aux cable for your car. It seems unlikely that they would provide controls over USB/lightning, but require the Aux connection for the actual music.

DOWN

Banned
TouchID is so instant on 7. Basically just hit the button and it's unlocked. Coming from a 6 it's hugely faster as a phone.

Also I can't believe I didn't have 3D Touch before because I love it.

TouchID is so instant on 7. Basically just hit the button and it's unlocked. Coming from a 6 it's hugely faster as a phone.

I thought it was pretty instant on the 6s Plus too. Is it improved even from that?

EDIT: I don't read well carry on.

Randomly disconnecting. The bluetooth on the phone will randomly turn off if the connection gets weak for a moment.

This has happened three times since iOS 10 (perhaps 20 hours total listening time)
Never had an issue with that. Last night I was getting weird interference when I would put pressure on the front of the phone. Haven't been able to replicate it though.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Hmm why do people use Chrome on iPhone? Safari is so much better I've found and with good content blocker which allows you to white list sites etc it's snappy as fuck and octane v2 scores are insane. I'm guessing so people with windows PC's can link their accounts?

Also, I'd love to see Octane V2 benchmark between Safari & Chrome on iPhone 7. Cheers.

Now go into settings where you just have to place your finger over the home button and it's even more amazing lol. :D

Yeah, if you skip the iCloud setup when you're setting up the phone, then activate it later that should be fine. Regarding devices, whatever "trusted" devices you have attached to your Apple ID will show up on the list to send codes to. If you only use your phone number, that's your only safeguard. You lose your phone, you lose 2FA (and hope you kept the recovery code). I like to have two trusted devices so I always have a backup to send to if something happens.

p.s. sorry to hear about the loss of your music, that sucks! But yeah backups have never backed up your music; I have to transfer music to my iPhone every time I get a new one. I mean imagine if people were restoring their phone from an iCloud backup with 30gb of music in it...

Are trusted devices the ONLY devices that it will send a code to, even if you have it set up to send to phone number? If so that doesn't make any sense. It should always send a code to whatever phone is linked to my number. I understand the need for a recovery code if you lose access to the device that's linked to your phone number, but it shouldn't be limited to trusted devices only if you choose the phone number method.

And I'll always be bitter about losing my music. Why would Apple ignore music? If people want to "waste" their iCloud storage backing up music, that benefits Apple as they most likely have to spring for a more expensive storage option, making them more money. I'm extremely tech savvy so it didn't even cross my mind that the music wouldn't be backed up. SO ANNOYED.

There's no way to skip the iCloud set up. I could have created a new iCloud account, but I didn't want to do that and risk tying my phone number to it.

What happens if you click on "Don't have an Apple ID or forgot it?" Does it let you skip the sign-in and continue? I'm guessing not since you are having trouble. This seems like a huge oversight and I can't believe they wouldn't have thought of this.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Are trusted devices the ONLY devices that it will send a code to, even if you have it set up to send to phone number? If so that doesn't make any sense. It should always send a code to whatever phone is linked to my number. I understand the need for a recovery code if you lose access to the device that's linked to your phone number, but it shouldn't be limited to trusted devices only if you choose the phone number method.

For me it works that way no matter what phone If I select send SMS to (My Number) it sends it. Example: After I sold my iPhone 6, I put a sim with my same number in a Samsung Note when I got the iPhone 7 Plus I was downstairs in my house with both phones and asked it to send the confirmation code via SMS and my Samsung got it no problems.

robotrock

Banned
What happens if you click on "Don't have an Apple ID or forgot it?" Does it let you skip the sign-in and continue? I'm guessing not since you are having trouble. This seems like a huge oversight and I can't believe they wouldn't have thought of this.
"Don't have an Apple ID" option will have you make one, so you can sign in.

"Forgot it" option will start you in a recovery process which at minimum takes days to verify from Apple. You need stuff to verify like the credit card on the account, and the phone number associated with your Apple ID, so they can send you a verification code. Since that number was the number I was trying to activate with my new phone, it wasn't working for whatever reason. My phone wasn't displaying any text messages from Apple while in the "forgot it" screen and I couldn't call them.

I ended up solving the problem by putting my phone into recovery mode on iTunes and reformatting. When I started setting up the phone again, I got to the Apple ID sign in screen, and the texts still were not coming through. I tried the calling option again, and then it finally worked.

Apple had me stressed this weekend, but now I am finally comfortable with my phone.

You can definitely skip iCloud and iTunes setup when setting up your phone. there are plenty of steps but it's doable.

For me it works that way no matter what phone If I select send SMS to (My Number) it sends it. Example: After I sold my iPhone 6, I put a sim with my same number in a Samsung Note when I got the iPhone 7 Plus I was downstairs in my house with both phones and asked it to send the confirmation code via SMS and my Samsung got it no problems.

Yeah this is what I would assume would happen, but now I'm scared.

"Don't have an Apple ID" option will have you make one, so you can sign in.

"Forgot it" option will start you in a recovery process which at minimum takes days to verify from Apple. You need stuff to verify like the credit card on the account, and the phone number associated with your Apple ID, so they can send you a verification code. Since that number was the number I was trying to activate with my new phone, it wasn't working for whatever reason. My phone wasn't displaying any text messages from Apple while in the "forgot it" screen and I couldn't call them.

I ended up solving the problem by putting my phone into recovery mode on iTunes and reformatting. When I started setting up the phone again, I got to the Apple ID sign in screen, and the texts still were not coming through. I tried the calling option again, and then it finally worked.

Apple had me stressed this weekend, but now I am finally comfortable with my phone.

So it could have been just a glitch due to overloaded servers or something? Or was your phone activated by this point so the number was recognized this time? Or does activation not occur until you get to the home screen?

You can definitely skip iCloud and iTunes setup when setting up your phone. there are plenty of steps but it's doable.

Are you sure? I haven't done it in a while but I just went to YouTube to watch some videos and I only saw a "Don't remember/forgot?" option, which was described above as being pretty convoluted. I know you can skip iCloud backup and things like that (which I always do), but it seems like you can't get to the home screen without having an Apple ID of some sort associated with the phone.

Are you sure? I haven't done it in a while but I just went to YouTube to watch some videos and I only saw a "Don't remember/forgot?" option, which was described above as being pretty convoluted. I know you can skip iCloud backup and things like that (which I always do), but it seems like you can't get to the home screen without having an Apple ID of some sort associated with the phone.

Fairly certain I did it this morning. I had to activate my new phone at the carrier store but wasn't about to try an iCloud restore, so I just kept hunting for the small option to skip each menu. There are a lot of these menus but eventually I had a working phone with nothing of note on it.

robotrock

Banned
So it could have been just a glitch due to overloaded servers or something? Or was your phone activated by this point so the number was recognized this time? Or does activation not occur until you get to the home screen?
It very well could have been a glitch or overloaded servers.

My phone had already been activated, it's just the text message with the code would not display on my phone, or they weren't sending.

In your prior setup, were you plugged into the Lightning port and charging from a USB port built into the car? If so, you should be able to do the same with your 7. The music likely is sent over the USB cable so you may not need the adapter cable. Were you connecting both the charging cable and the aux cable on your old iPhone? You may not have need the aux cable for your car. It seems unlikely that they would provide controls over USB/lightning, but require the Aux connection for the actual music.

No, I have an older car. The stereo has an aux port, so I installed a cable and have been using that. The stereo has no USB port. My 6s would detect when I plugged in the jack and it would show the music controls. With the lightning dongle on the 7 it didn't do anything when I plugged in. I assume the same would also be true for headphones I plug in using the dongle.

And I'll always be bitter about losing my music. Why would Apple ignore music? If people want to "waste" their iCloud storage backing up music, that benefits Apple as they most likely have to spring for a more expensive storage option, making them more money. I'm extremely tech savvy so it didn't even cross my mind that the music wouldn't be backed up. SO ANNOYED.

re: 2FA, no when it asks for a 2FA code, it gives you a list of choices. It will send the code to whatever you choose, be that a specific device or a specific phone number. What I meant before was, if you lose your phone (or gets stolen) and you didn't trust any devices, then you have no other way to send the 2FA code. So for me, trusting specific, multiple devices is a safer way than sending to a phone number. I usually send the 2FA to my phone anyway, but I target that specific device in the list instead of the number. It shows up as a special notification on the screen instead of a text message.

Well the music thing was happening before iCloud, when we just backed up iPhones via iTunes to the hard drive. The problem is if you had 20gb of music on your phone, it'd have to copy all that music to your hard drive... basically duplicate data that was already on the Mac taking up gigs of space. In the iCloud era it makes even less sense because it could take hours or days to finish restoring for most people.

My general philosophy on my data is, trust no one. Use iCloud, fine, but always make a local backup of your important stuff. My music is important to me also, and I have it backed up on my Mac not only with Time Machine but also with a separate NAS. I'd get cloud backup going too, because a fire would take out both my backups, but my connection is just too slow for that.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Critical thing I can recommend is if you do have 2FA please store the recovery key somewhere safe DON'T just ignore it.

Crazyorloco

I have a primitive car (Sentra SR 2015 lol) I use that does not have bluetooth, but has a aux port. I enjoy listening to music from my phone while I drive, is there an bluetooth aux adapter or something available?

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Lol how when I pick up my Jet black iPhone without paying attention , I always think the back of the phone is the screen.

I'm having sincere issues getting the camera app to use the telephoto camera. I can test it because when I zoom in to 2x I can put my finger in front of the camera to see which one it's using, and most of the time it's just digital zooming the regular lens, not using the telephoto one

Any else got any input? I'm testing low light photos tonight, could that be it?

I'm having sincere issues getting the camera app to use the telephoto camera. I can test it because when I zoom in to 2x I can put my finger in front of the camera to see which one it's using, and most of the time it's just digital zooming the regular lens, not using the telephoto one

Someone earlier in this thread said it has to be in brighter light for the telephoto lens to work. Something about the width of the aperture, I think.

Guess Who

Banned

It won't use the telephoto camera in low light because the aperture is tiny and it lacks OIS.

Top Bottom