• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

manakel

Anyone here on Verizon? I want to due an early upgrade to the 7 but I'm confused on how to do it and their site isn't helping.
When I wanted to do early upgrade before, I had to call into their customer care line because it wouldn't let me do it on their website. It was weird.

I'm having sincere issues getting the camera app to use the telephoto camera. I can test it because when I zoom in to 2x I can put my finger in front of the camera to see which one it's using, and most of the time it's just digital zooming the regular lens, not using the telephoto one

Any else got any input? I'm testing low light photos tonight, could that be it?

It will use both cameras as necessary. The telephoto camera has a smaller aperture and no OIS so it won't be able to optical zoom on really low light shots. The software will adjust as necessary to compensate.

sangreal

It will use both cameras as necessary. The telephoto camera has a smaller aperture and no OIS so it won't be able to optical zoom on really low light shots. The software will adjust as necessary to compensate.

Adjust here means simply disabling the telephoto lens and using digital zoom on the wide angle lens. It's not just really low light either. Even in a well lit room I have to point at a light to get it to activate the telephoto lens

Did Sprint ever make it possible to use data and voice at the same time? I read that Verizon did something like that, not sure about Sprint though. I've been thinking it might be time to get off the AT&T train next year and get some unlimited data on Sprint.

DOWN

Banned
What does everyone do about 3D Touch? I love it but I turned the pressure requirement down to Light since it seemed like you gotta bend the glass on the default setting and I like Light's nuance

Also: Personally I switched back to the default Taptic level (2) because it feels more accurate for the thinness of the phone. Like I imagine if the faux click were really doing what it feels like, which is essentially clicking in the phone glass like a trackpad, it would have to be a shallow click because of how thin the phone is. Setting 3 feels like an unfathomable depth that would have to be on a laptop and not a thin as fuck phone screen that clicks in.

What I'm trying to say is that it feels so good and so real it's got me thinking how to make it imitate what the real physical counterpart would be

Does anyone else find the speakers to be a bit harsh sounding at times? I don't know how to describe it.

They do sound a bit blown out sometimes. And very loud even at normal volumes. I've had to turn down my master volume because my notification sounds were blasting. It'd be cool if they could run sounds that should be quieter like notifications through just two of the speakers, or at least provide a separate volume control for them.

When I wanted to do early upgrade before, I had to call into their customer care line because it wouldn't let me do it on their website. It was weird.
I have a Verizon store near me so I would want to do it there. I'm just wondering what their Apple upgrade program is all about. Their site says that you only need to pay off 50% of a Apple iPhone then you can trade it in for the 7, but another part of the site says that I need to pay off 100% to upgrade early. Any facts behind either of these?

Pixels

They do sound a bit blown out sometimes. And very loud even at normal volumes. I've had to turn down my master volume because my notification sounds were blasting. It'd be cool if they could run sounds that should be quieter like notifications through just two of the speakers, or at least provide a separate volume control for them.

Yeah this is what I'm talking about. Some notification sounds have a blow out our a small crackle I guess? Very noticeable with the wechat notification sound.

Ashhong

Because the long-press gesture and 3D Touch don't mix very well. Perfect example is rearranging icons on the home screen – it now literally takes me a few seconds to get the icons into edit mode as I try to figure out the right amount of pressure to engage the long-press gesture. IMO on 3D touch capable phones the long-press gesture should go away.

It's great until you have an iPhone, Watch, and a nearby iPad all respond at the same time. 😬 I actually use it a lot more on my Watch, but I have to walk away from my iPhone if it's on the desk. You'd think they could measure the volume from the respective mics and figure out which device is closest and only respond through that.

With Apple's 2FA it gives you the option to send to a particular device, or send to your phone number. The safer option is usually sending to a particular device. I've never seen it fail to send a code; perhaps your phone wasn't linked to the number yet because it was sending to the phone you were setting up?

Eh I had no trouble separating the two. If they aren't used concurrently, then they should have the long you do everything the 3D touch does. That includes on the home screen where it's most useful.

Noticed the top speaker by the ear piece is much lower than the bottom, everyone experiencing that? It makes the "stereo" sound pretty shitty IMO

Fairly certain I did it this morning. I had to activate my new phone at the carrier store but wasn't about to try an iCloud restore, so I just kept hunting for the small option to skip each menu. There are a lot of these menus but eventually I had a working phone with nothing of note on it.

Okay, I hope this is the case because it would mostly likely make everything else irrelevant.

It very well could have been a glitch or overloaded servers.

My phone had already been activated, it's just the text message with the code would not display on my phone, or they weren't sending.

This makes me feel better. I've had 2FA issues on other sites (PayPal, for example) where it took multiple tries for the text to come through, and this was during regular hours as opposed to a deluge of requests that Apple is getting now.

re: 2FA, no when it asks for a 2FA code, it gives you a list of choices. It will send the code to whatever you choose, be that a specific device or a specific phone number. What I meant before was, if you lose your phone (or gets stolen) and you didn't trust any devices, then you have no other way to send the 2FA code. So for me, trusting specific, multiple devices is a safer way than sending to a phone number. I usually send the 2FA to my phone anyway, but I target that specific device in the list instead of the number. It shows up as a special notification on the screen instead of a text message.

Well the music thing was happening before iCloud, when we just backed up iPhones via iTunes to the hard drive. The problem is if you had 20gb of music on your phone, it'd have to copy all that music to your hard drive... basically duplicate data that was already on the Mac taking up gigs of space. In the iCloud era it makes even less sense because it could take hours or days to finish restoring for most people.

My general philosophy on my data is, trust no one. Use iCloud, fine, but always make a local backup of your important stuff. My music is important to me also, and I have it backed up on my Mac not only with Time Machine but also with a separate NAS. I'd get cloud backup going too, because a fire would take out both my backups, but my connection is just too slow for that.

Okay, good. From the initial replies I was interpreting it to mean you're screwed forever, but you just meant you have no alternative at that exact moment. You can always get a new phone with your existing phone number, which is all I was trying to confirm.

The music thing is annoying because it's clearly a relic from the past when storage was at a premium (relative to the cost now) and people used PCs as their primary computing devices. Now that smartphones have taken over, they should be backing up the ENTIRE phone.

It's simple--for iCloud, let there be an option to back it up, similar to how Camera Roll can be turned on or off. But for a local iTunes backup there's no excuse in this day and age with terabyte hard drives. At the very least iTunes should give the user a warning that it won't be backing up the music. If it does, then I missed it and that's my fault but I'm still extraordinarily salty lol.

Anyone go caseless with a 6S? Kinda wondering how the finish holds up since the 7 is supposed to use the same 7000 series aluminum alloy.

I've gone caseless with all iPhones (Black 5, Silver 6+, Rose Gold 6s+) and they've all held up perfectly. I had more damage over time to the box my 5 came in than to the phone itself lol. The only issue I've ever had, period, is the past winter the Lightning port on my 6s+ got clogged with lint so the cable wouldn't catch properly. It would still charge, but there was clearly something wrong. A quick trip to the Apple Store and they cleaned the lint out (I didn't have the tools on me). This still could have happened with a case on it because most cases leave the Lightning port exposed.

sangreal

What does everyone do about 3D Touch? I love it but I turned the pressure requirement down to Light since it seemed like you gotta bend the glass on the default setting and I like Light's nuance

Also: Personally I switched back to the default Taptic level (2) because it feels more accurate for the thinness of the phone. Like I imagine if the faux click were really doing what it feels like, which is essentially clicking in the phone glass like a trackpad, it would have to be a shallow click because of how thin the phone is. Setting 3 feels like an unfathomable depth that would have to be on a laptop and not a thin as fuck phone screen that clicks in.

What I'm trying to say is that it feels so good and so real it's got me thinking how to make it imitate what the real physical counterpart would be

I'm loving 3D Touch. Just browsing gaf alone is more please the with the peaking. I had the opposite problem with the default sensitivity -- I was pressing really hard when you don't need to and it was screwing up some of the gestures. I think i was doing this because the home screen 3D Touch is a little janky thanks to the overlap with long press. Anyways, I just got used to pressing really gently for 3D Touch and medium works fine for me

kaskade

It feels weird plugging in the headphones in the lighting port. I think I want to get myself some airpods though. Easy wireless earbuds with no connecting wire is going to be really nice.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
I'm loving 3D Touch. Just browsing gaf alone is more please the with the peaking. I had the opposite problem with the default sensitivity -- I was pressing really hard when you don't need to and it was screwing up some of the gestures. I think i was doing this because the home screen 3D Touch is a little janky thanks to the overlap with long press. Anyways, I just got used to pressing really gently for 3D Touch and medium works fine for me

Holy shit you just blew my mind with using 3D Touch on forums etc. (Owned 6 before so still learning) Fucking love 3D touch even more now lol.

Fliesen

I want to know how it is with steam. I wonder if I could put it on the shelf in my shower and listen to a podcast.

i can't recommend getting a UE Roll enough.

I sometimes wanna keep listening to my podcasts in during my after-workout shower and it's perfect for that (and many other applications that would need a wireless waterproof speaker)

Crazyorloco

I've used something like this in the past and it works wonderfully.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0168GBMCY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That looks great! I like that it has multiple USB ports. Thanks

Check this article out:
http://m.thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-bluetooth-kits-for-every-car-stereo/

My dad bought the unit they recommend and he's had no issues with it over the last few months of use.

That anker one looks nice. Thanks man

Jeffrey

Where are y'all finding the new 'haptic' stuff in the OS atm?

I noticed it vibrates when you switch toggles in settings, where else?

btkadams

I'm a bit shocked at the lack of pictures in this thread! And I don't mean pictures with the new camera; I am curious to see what the phones look like in real settings.

So far, when you drop the notifications window, when you swipe up the control center, when you turn the dials in the clock app, and when you press and hold to delete apps.

Maximus.

So I'm back from the Apple Store. My last phone was an iPhone 6 so I haven't kept up with it, but it seems 3D Touch doesn't do much yet?

If you think that with iOS 10, then you would've thought it did not exist on iOS 9 with the iPhone 6S. It does a lot for convenience, like the app switcher, having a conversation in messages from the notification, short cuts. iOS 10 did a good job at making it feel more useful and natural. not a game changer by any means though.

It's simple--for iCloud, let there be an option to back it up, similar to how Camera Roll can be turned on or off. But for a local iTunes backup there's no excuse in this day and age with terabyte hard drives. At the very least iTunes should give the user a warning that it won't be backing up the music. If it does, then I missed it and that's my fault but I'm still extraordinarily salty lol.

Yeah, that's totally reasonable to add a "include music in backups" option for itunes and iCloud backups. My cynical side says that Apple sees streaming as the future and are slowly de-emphasizing and caring about purchased music, so I don't expect them to spend much engineering time on new features for it at this point. Unfortunately they have good reason to think that way in 2016.

So I'm back from the Apple Store. My last phone was an iPhone 6 so I haven't kept up with it, but it seems 3D Touch doesn't do much yet?

3D Touch is all over the place in iOS 10. Just start touching everywhere in apps... pictures, songs, scrolling cells, songs, icons, whatever. Lots of 3rd-party apps are starting to support it. I'm finding it much more useful than in iOS 9.

The rotary controls are pretty cool, like in Timer. I haven't seen much else, so I'm curious also. They opened up the API to third party developers, but only after the iPhone 7 event so it'll probably take a little bit for them to adopt it.

finalflame

After using 3D Touch on my 7 I was considering buying an iPad Pro under the presumption it, too, would have 3D Touch. Nope, no such thing. What a disappointment. Guess I'll wait for next year's iPads.

So far, when you drop the notifications window, when you swipe up the control center, when you turn the dials in the clock app, and when you press and hold to delete apps.

Is haptic touch exclusive to the 7 or does it have to be enabled in Settings somewhere? I don't have any feedback when performing any of those actions on my 6s+.

Namikaze

Did anyone here actually get their Jet Black IP7 Plus order? Mine won't come until like the 21st..this is the first time I missed out on an apple launch in a while. Not a big deal since I already have a 6S Plus and iOS 10 to mess around with but..yeah.

Did anyone here actually get their Jet Black IP7 Plus order? Mine won't come until like the 21st..this is the first time I missed out on an apple launch in a while. Not a big deal since I already have a 6S Plus and iOS 10 to mess around with but..yeah.
My order went through at like 10 minutes after launch and I still have to wait until Monday.

I'm considering switching to iPhone from a Note 4. Is there no way for me to listen to music while charging my phone in my car if I don't have bluetooth on it? I can only connect audio via auxiliary ports.

I'm considering switching to iPhone from a Note 4. Is there no way for me to listen to music while charging my phone in my car if I don't have bluetooth on it? I can only connect audio via auxiliary ports.
There are plenty of aux Bluetooth adapters out there but if you have to be hard wired just get a splitter.

So I feel like after getting to the 7's tactic stuff with pulling down Notification Center and the like, older iPhone models are just going to feel lifeless

Ok, but why do I have some contacts that are duplicated and my brother's name and number at the top? :/

The brother's name thing is an easy fix by going to a Settings->Contacts->Your Info and selecting your own contact card instead of your brother's. Do the same thing under Settings->Siri

Ninja Dom

My order went through at like 10 minutes after launch and I still have to wait until Monday.

My order went through at 20 minutes after launch (UK) and I have to wait 2 more weeks for mine. Regular size jet black.

Has anybody in the U.K. Received a Jet Black unit in either Plus or reg size??

jaosobno

So regarding the whole hissing sound thing coming from iPhone 7, I went to the local tech store at the shopping mall and there were 3 Apple devices on display; 6s plus, SE, and iPad pro (7 releases next friday in my country so there are no test units yet).

Now, I started google octane on each device and here is what I found (I held each device to my ear at camera level since that is were reportedly the noise is coming from):

- 6s Plus: low hissing sound mixed with occasional crackling. No way I would be able to hear this if I didn't hold it to my ear.

- SE: I think I heard something but if I did it was so low that it's barely audiable.

- iPad pro: no sound whatsoever

Now I was at the shopping mall so there was background music and noise from people chatter so it wasn't ideal testing environment (plus the phones had rather big anti theft protection attached on their backs so it was hard to listen closely, specially on SE), but I think this entire thing is blown out of proportion.

During normal usage it should be a non issue.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
So regarding the whole hissing sound thing coming from iPhone 7, I went to the local tech store at the shopping mall and there were 3 Apple devices on display; 6s plus, SE, and iPad pro (7 releases next friday in my country so there are no test units yet).

Now, I started google octane on each device and here is what I found (I held each device to my ear at camera level since that is were reportedly the noise is coming from):

- 6s Plus: low hissing sound mixed with occasional crackling. No way I would be able to hear this if I didn't hold it to my ear.

- SE: I think I heard something but if I did it was so low that it's barely audiable.

- iPad pro: no sound whatsoever

Now I was at the shopping mall so there was background music and noise from people chatter so it wasn't ideal testing environment (plus the phones had rather big anti theft protection attached on their backs so it was hard to listen closely, specially on SE), but I think this entire thing is blown out of proportion.

During normal usage it should be a non issue.

Yeah, I think so too now I was considering returning my 7 Plus but I'm not gonna do it. Seems like normal operation. Thankfully my "coil whine" is very silent I have to put my ear up against the back of the phone to hear it also gets even harder to make out when you go into low power mode (when it uses the lower clocked cores.)

Gonna cancel my appointment with Apple.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Thinking of getting the Zagg glass protector for the screen, anyone have any experience with it? Is it worth it?
With Apple Care+ screen repairs are $29.

Considering that and how awful screen protectors look and feel, no way I would ever go with a protector.

Dinokill

Is the lossless format worth the extra file size? I will be listening to my music with my Beats 2 Solo and tru my car stereo via Bluetooth/USB. Any difference?

Thinking of getting the Zagg glass protector for the screen, anyone have any experience with it? Is it worth it?
They are worth every penny. If you can get it installed from Bestbuy they will replace it and reinstall if it breaks for free. I'm gonna try out their new "sapphire" line on my plus when they come out.

Top Bottom