• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

robotrock

Banned
Is the lossless format worth the extra file size? I will be listening to my music with my Beats 2 Solo and tru my car stereo via Bluetooth/USB. Any difference?

320s will do you fine for those cases.

I honestly hope you are making shit up because your posts have been a series of nightmare worst case scenarios

It's been a rough couple of days here. Now that I know the root of the issues I was having, I am now comfortable with my phone.

Ihyll

Currently have an HTC 10 considering jumping ship back to apple again and getting a 7 plus....

How do the lightning earpods compare to the 3.5 mm headphone jack earpods, sound wise?

preaching to the choir here as i guess you guys have your new phones but i messed around with the plus in store for a little bit and i really love the home button. granted mine has always felt a bit spongy since it got repaired but the fake button felt reponsive and clicky on whatever setting it was on.
couldn't figure out whether the telelens was being used but didn't want to waste too much time in store.
shan't be picking up a phone until november but between the above and the massive performance improvement from my 6+, i can't wait!

Tried a 7 Plus in black in a store yesterday, but didn't spend much time with it, because, honestly, I want to have my first real impressions when I get mine. 😅

So, if you were wondering whether there is such a thing as spoilers for that 'new gadget feel' I guess there is for me, haha.

Home button felt good, but not new home button good.
That shouldn't be an issue thoug, since for me at least that click response on a new device only ever lasted a couple of weeks.

My 7 Plus should arrive on Oct 10th but I hope the date is moved up when new stock arrives...
Right now, all Pluses from Telekom (Germany) seem to have the same estimated delivery date, no matter what time you ordered, which can't be right, right?

Moreche

Just returned my black 7 after seeing the jet black but I'll probably have to wait for stock and the hype to die down. But that jet black is just to hard to not have, itlooks stunning.
Im on the IUP and it's a real shame I've to keep checking store stock every day, you would think we could be put in a line and contacted by Apple when it arrives in your store.
I honestly lose faith in Apple with every launch.

giga

14368992_339690406369083_615118834_n.jpg

NYR

If it looks just exactly like the plastic on the 3G, why not make it out of plastic?

Whole lot of trouble for nothing. Had a chance at a iPhone 7 Plus in Jet Black this morning. I passed, too much risk.

NYR

Is there anything that iTunes backup/restore or iCloud backup/restore doesn't transfer over? (Aside from apps)
Music is the big one, but also Apps that are no longer in the App Store. Unless you backed up or copied those specific apps to iTunes, they are gone.

Thinking of getting the Zagg glass protector for the screen, anyone have any experience with it? Is it worth it?

Try www.xtremeguard.com with the promo code Super92 to take 92% off the Spartan Tempered Glass.
Used it (and it's replacements) on the iPhone 6 for 2 years, and over those 2 years, I dropped my phone a whole lot of times and the glass broke 3-4 times, but the screen on the phone is still new.
Workes like a charm, doesn't feel any different from touching the screen.
Using it now on my 7 Plus and force touch works too.

(Really, it's only 2 dollars each, ordered myself 4)

Music is the big one, but also Apps that are no longer in the App Store. Unless you backed up or copied those specific apps to iTunes, they are gone.

You can go to the Purchased tab and search for apps not on your device. The app should be listed, even if it's no longer on the App Store.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
If it looks just exactly like the plastic on the 3G, why not make it out of plastic?

Whole lot of trouble for nothing. Had a chance at a iPhone 7 Plus in Jet Black this morning. I passed, too much risk.

It feels a good bit more "premium" in the hand. It sounds like you touched it, so I'm surprised you didn't notice that. <- Douchey sounding sentence but don't mean it to be :)

The build of the 7s' rear is a monumental leap over the feel of the 3GS. Pics don't do it justice.

Ty4on

Doesn't feel like plastic. IIRC the plastic backs on the 3G/3GS were prone to tiny cracks.
I dont wanna see the front of the jetblack after this photo :S

Heh, don't put phones on concrete. I hate tiled floors because you always have to find something to put the phone on top of.

Doesn't feel like plastic. IIRC the plastic backs on the 3G/3GS were prone to tiny cracks.

Heh, don't put phones on concrete. I hate tiled floors because you always have to find something to put the phone on top of.

The cracks on my 3G were not tiny, lol. Definitely happened around the headphone and charging port.

____

Does anyone know if with T-Mobile, to get the "free" iPhone 7 trade-up/upgrade you're forced to switch to the T-Mobile ONE plan? It kinda says you do on the page, but when I called and spoke to them on the phone they never mentioned it.

I also think earlier in the thread someone said you can keep your existing plan (SimpleChoice) but wanted to know if it was confirmed.

I have the 7 on order, and it's being processed, but I don't want to give up my plan for this new plan for just a free phone.

DOWN

Banned
If you think that with iOS 10, then you would've thought it did not exist on iOS 9 with the iPhone 6S. It does a lot for convenience, like the app switcher, having a conversation in messages from the notification, short cuts. iOS 10 did a good job at making it feel more useful and natural. not a game changer by any means though.
I actually do think it's a game changer. I'd be legit mad if they took away 3D Touch's new iOS 10 awesomeness and all the tiny Taptic pings they added on iPhone 7. Its changed how I use my phone.
So I feel like after getting to the 7's tactic stuff with pulling down Notification Center and the like, older iPhone models are just going to feel lifeless
Agreed

FinKL

Super stoked, just reserved my 7+ for pickup later today even though I ordered online yesterday with an October 17 delivery date.
http://www.istocknow.com/live/ to check stock and
https://reserve.cdn-apple.com/US/en_US/reserve/iPhone/availability?channel=1&sourceID=email&rv=0&path=&iPP=U&appleCare=Y to reserve!!

Deku Tree

Super stoked, just reserved my 7+ for pickup later today even though I ordered online yesterday with an October 17 delivery date.
https://reserve.cdn-apple.com/US/en_US/reserve/iPhone/availability?channel=1&sourceID=email&rv=0&path=&iPP=U&appleCare=Y to reserve!!

Will they let you pick up a sprint or Verizon phone if your gonna use it on Att and you only have an att phone line?

FinKL

Will they let you pick up a sprint or Verizon phone if your gonna use it on Att and you only have an att phone line?

Unfortunately, I don't know, leaning towards no though. Because now you're taking stock from Sprint/Verizon. If that wasn't the case, everyone would be buying Verizon/Sprint phones as those are the phones with all the US bands.

icespide

Banned
anyone who did an upgrade with IUP actually have anything charge on their card yet? i had an initial charge but it also got refunded? worried something is messed up and the old loan won't get paid off

Does anyone know if with T-Mobile, to get the "free" iPhone 7 trade-up/upgrade you're forced to switch to the T-Mobile ONE plan? It kinda says you do on the page, but when I called and spoke to them on the phone they never mentioned it.

I also think earlier in the thread someone said you can keep your existing plan (SimpleChoice) but wanted to know if it was confirmed.

I have the 7 on order, and it's being processed, but I don't want to give up my plan for this new plan for just a free phone.

I think starting back at the 14th, One plans are mandatory.

Came in to post this, definitely a life saver. Fingers crossed, I've got an appointment in like 3 hours for a black 128g 7+

____

I think starting back at the 14th, One plans are mandatory.

Wait, so you mean any orders placed after the 14th are forced to change plans?

I placed my order on the 12th (but delivery is 9/19 - 9/26) so hopefully I get to keep my existing plan.

Guys, might wanna check reservations in store. Managed to get a 7 Plus 128 GB matte black at my local Apple Store this morning for pickup at noon. Gonna return the 256 GB I got coming Tuesday since 128 was my preferred memory option but when I ordered that night it was already pushed out. Great day!

btkadams

Guys, might wanna check reservations in store. Managed to get a 7 Plus 128 GB matte black at my local Apple Store this morning for pickup at noon. Gonna return the 256 GB I got coming Tuesday since 128 was my preferred memory option but when I ordered that night it was already pushed out. Great day!
Yeah, I saw a Jet Black 128 GB Plus model available for reservation locally when I checked at 8am this morning. Bummer because i'm holding out for a 256 GB model.

Yeah, I saw a Jet Black 128 GB Plus model available for reservation locally when I checked at 8am this morning. Bummer because i'm holding out for a 256 GB model.

Mine only had black and rose gold as choices today.I'm just surprised the 128 GB models came in since they were the most popular.

iMax

Well this is weird. Noticed that when covering the telephoto camera on the plus with my finger, if I zoom in from 1x to 2x and beyond, I never see my finger. How is this happening?

giga

Well this is weird. Noticed that when covering the telephoto camera on the plus with my finger, if I zoom in from 1x to 2x and beyond, I never see my finger. How is this happening?

Are you in low light? It won't use it in dim conditions.

DOWN

Banned
If your lighting conditions aren't good, the phone won't use the telephoto lens and instead just uses digital zoom with the main camera (as it has a higher aperture and does not have a stabilizer). It's best for bright or daylight photos.

tommyguns

iPhone 7. Currently at 10% battery remaining. 7 hours and 30 minutes of usage. 24 hours standby.

Is this good and what it should be? After seeing apples battery stats (which are usually pretty accurate) I thought I would get more than about 8 hours of usage?

iPhone 7. Currently at 10% battery remaining. 7 hours and 30 minutes of usage. 24 hours standby.

Is this good and what it should be? After seeing apples battery stats (which are usually pretty accurate) I thought I would get more than about 8 hours of usage?
that is good but it depends entirely on usage, like any device. I got about the time they mention on their site. I don't do that many insane things or have that many apps where I allow background refreshing. I also micromanage my location services. The one app I use often that kills the most battery is just messages. Everything else is grrrreat.

Sean

Banned
Has anyone come across any "book style" iPhone 7 cases? Similar to this (iPhone 5) case from monoprice.

My mom just upgraded from a 5 to a 7 and she keeps her phone in her purse with all sorts of crap, so she needs something that protects the screen too. The case she had for her iPhone 5 (linked above, obviously can't be used anymore) protected the front when it was in her purse. But I can't find anything like that for the 7 yet.

tommyguns

that is good but it depends entirely on usage, like any device. I got about the time they mention on their site. I don't do that many insane things or have that many apps where I allow background refreshing. I also micromanage my location services. The one app I use often that kills the most battery is just messages. Everything else is grrrreat.

I do all the above that you mentioned. Micro manage the location services. Almost all background app refreshes are turned off. I didn't even do anything crazy wiabout h this usage. Browsed the internet. Messages and listened to downloaded podcasts.

Can you give me stats that your phone say?? Are you implying you legit got 12 hours of usage..not standby??

Deku Tree

Has anyone come across any "book style" iPhone 7 cases? Similar to this (iPhone 5) case from monoprice.

My mom just upgraded from a 5 to a 7 and she keeps her phone in her purse with all sorts of crap, so she needs something that protects the screen too. The case she had for her iPhone 5 (linked above, obviously can't be used anymore) protected the front when it was in her purse. But I can't find anything like that for the 7 yet.

http://www.otterbox.com/en-us/iphone-7/strada-series-folio-case/apl40-iph16.html

https://www.twelvesouth.com/product/bookbook-for-iphone-6

sangreal

I just realized how dumb this sounds, because if you're covering the lens, there won't be any light period.

its based on the metering done by the wide angle lens. point it at a lamp and you will see it switch over to the telephoto

in my experience though it's misleading to say it doesn't use the telephoto in low light. Instead I would say it only uses the telephoto in great light

I do all the above that you mentioned. Micro manage the location services. Almost all background app refreshes are turned off. I didn't even do anything crazy wiabout h this usage. Browsed the internet. Messages and listened to downloaded podcasts.

Can you give me stats that your phone say?? Are you implying you legit got 12 hours of usage..not standby??
I'll try again for another day and post up stats later assuming I remember, but one thing you definitely need to keep track of is cellular strength. IF you're an area with poor coverage or spotty fluctuating coverage that could impact your battery quite a bit. Also I have mine on auto brightness but I haven't used it outdoors much so brightness was never too high.

Definitely not 14 hours lol. But also more than 7.

Do you have to do apple care and the apple upgrade program???

From what I've read you can go in and get them to change whatever you want. I'm curious how soon they'll change the requirements and actually have you confirm you're in the upgrade program before allowing a reservation.

tommyguns

I'll try again for another day and post up stats later assuming I remember, but one thing you definitely need to keep track of is cellular strength. IF you're an area with poor coverage or spotty fluctuating coverage that could impact your battery quite a bit. Also I have mine on auto brightness but I haven't used it outdoors much so brightness was never too high.

Definitely not 14 hours lol. But also more than 7.

I have auto brightness off but always keep it low so it's not a problem. Just crossed 8 hours use. 5 percent left.

Gonna give it another couple days and will post again with updated stats!

Top Bottom