• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

jrDev

Fuck my life.

Was just checking my.t-mobile.com and I realized the regular iPhone 7 model and not the Plus. I'm not sure where the confusion could have been, as they had the very same model that she ordered in store. I'm just seething with rage right now. On hold with customer service right now. Looks like I'm going to have to wait even longer :/
Hey I noticed you have T-Mobile, did you do through their promo?

robotrock

Banned
I can't figure out if the camera on this phone is actually better than my 6+ or if it's just the new display that makes everything look better

You've really been promoting the Galaxy 7 in this thread. I hope they get at least one sale on you ;).

Seriously. What's with going into a thread about iPhones when you obviously don't want to talk about iPhones (except maybe in a negative way)?

I mean, I'd understand if this were a thread about iPhones malfunctioning or exploding or something. But it's not. So what gives?

DOWN

Banned
All y'all asking for wallpapers when nothing beats the Live smoke wallpapers that come with the phone smh

DOWN

Banned
Video?

Also, are the fish wallpapers still there?
The fish and smoke wallpapers are all there and the smoke looks awesome. I guess it's like a video, but basically it plays in forward and reverse and you press your finger on the wallpaper on the lock screen

The fish and smoke wallpapers are all there and the smoke looks awesome. I guess it's like a video, but basically it plays in forward and reverse and you press your finger on the wallpaper on the lock screen

lol I mean do you have any video of it in action? :p

I couldn't find one on YouTube.

Edit: Nm. I found one. Very cool.

DJ88

topic_iphone_4.png

That was glass. Glass and mirror reflections are completely different than a gloss finish.

The 3g/s still looks better in white due to the silver hardware accents. White always matches silver better than black, hence why the Aluminum Sport Watch came with a white band.

The jet black looks fantastic, though I still prefer the matte black finish.
But I'm cringing a bit at putting those face down...

Crazyorloco

So one thing Im going to miss is not having a Manual or pro settings in my camera like on the Galaxy 7 line phones, I wish there were more options to adjust the settings. Any recommended photo apps?

Here's a question - my 7+ should be here this week. I want to do a fresh start, but I want to keep my message archive - I have saved text message threads from my dad who passed away two years ago. I like being able to look back. Is there a way to preserve those messages and otherwise starting fresh? Or is it all or nothing?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Whats the state of jailbreaking on iPhones nowadays?
Up to 9.3.4 is jailbreakable on 64-bit devices only. I think up to 9.1 on 32-bit devices (iPhone 5 and older).

The last jailbreak for 9.2+ devices took longer than any other jailbreak before it to release. In general, the wait is only getting worse for jailbreakers because more exploits have been used up or wasted or privately sold to security companies. Which is a shame because iOS10 is the fugliest update in a while and similarly the most in need of some TLC.

Up to 9.3.4 is jailbreakable on 64-bit devices only. I think up to 9.1 on 32-bit devices (iPhone 5 and older).

The last jailbreak for 9.2+ devices took longer than any other jailbreak before it to release. In general, the wait is only getting worse for jailbreakers because more exploits have been used up or wasted or privately sold to security companies. Which is a shame because iOS10 is the fugliest update in a while and similarly the most in need of some TLC.

Damn, well I hope someone jailbreaks 10 soon.

Fliesen

Here's a question - my 7+ should be here this week. I want to do a fresh start, but I want to keep my message archive - I have saved text message threads from my dad who passed away two years ago. I like being able to look back. Is there a way to preserve those messages and otherwise starting fresh? Or is it all or nothing?

Sorry about your loss :(

i believe iMessages are not stored in iCloud unless when backed up. (so it's all or nothing)

You could store the message history as screenshots, i guess.

There's a way to transfer just Messages. I'll find the article and get back to you.

Unfortunately you can't do granular backups like that. All or nothing.

What I sometimes do is delete all the apps and their respective data/documents that come along with them, then back that up and restore from that. Almost a clean start except the Messages and whatever cruft is in the user backup

What I sometimes do is delete all the apps and their respective data/documents that come along with them, then back that up and restore from that. Almost a clean start except the Messages and whatever cruft is in the user backup

That actually might be the way to do it.

and transfer them back to the phone? cool!

Here you go: http://www.icopybot.com/blog/merge-sms-imessage-messages-from-old-iphone-to-new-iphone.htm

Guess Who

Banned
I have carried a backup from an iPod touch 2nd gen (starting at iPhone OS 2!) > iPod touch 4th gen > iPod touch 5th gen > iPhone 5 > iPhone 6 > iPhone 6S Plus with no issues. Never seen a reason to do a "fresh start" unless you're actually having a problem.

That doesn't do anything, it's because of system and user files you want to start fresh. Deleting a few apps does not change anything, really. Just makes you invest some more time.

Sh0k

Anyone have a problem with the iPhone 7 camera, mine from time to time turns all black, tries to get in focus for a moment but stops working, even the touchscreen stops working, not being able to take a picture or switch to the front camera.

Turning off the phone completely and turning it back on, seems to fix the problem. This is the second time it happened.

Except you lose all your keychain (app logins, prefs) and health data if you do that, as those are stored in the backups.

Yep! I don't mind setting up apps again, but I do wish health data was saved to iCloud. Though I know for me specifically I don't care about old data since I'll be recording new data anyway

Animator

Finally got to try the 7+ at a apple store. I am not sure if I like the home button change. It feels like the whole bottom of the phone is clicking when you use it. :(

-griffy-

Banned
http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/21719_Camera_phone_zoom_test_Lumia_1.php

camera zoom comparisons between the iPhone 7+, Lumia 1020, and the Lumia 950XL. Lumia cameras have finally been dethroned.

The Lumia 1020 looks better to me in every comparison. The processing of the iPhone 7+ image puts it below for me. A RAW photo taken with the 7+ would probably pull ahead though (the RAW photos I can now take on my 7 with the DNG update for Lightroom mobile are much better than the regular jpegs).

Guess Who

Banned
The Lumia 1020 looks better to me in every comparison. The processing of the iPhone 7+ image puts it below for me. A RAW photo taken with the 7+ would probably pull ahead though (the RAW photos I can now take on my 7 with the DNG update for Lightroom mobile are much better than the regular jpegs).

RAW support is honestly killer. I've seen some hand-processed RAW photos on the 6S and 7 compared to what the stock camera processing outputs and it's so much better. The stock camera app does the iPhone camera a disservice.

Yep! I don't mind setting up apps again, but I do wish health data was saved to iCloud. Though I know for me specifically I don't care about old data since I'll be recording new data anyway

I imagine it was a security issue; Apple is really paranoid of health data getting hacked, for good reason.

The edge processing on the iPhone is overdone, but the iPhone handles color reproduction much better compared to the 1020, which has a blue cast to all its images. The only image the iPhone falters in is the painting frame.

giga

So one thing Im going to miss is not having a Manual or pro settings in my camera like on the Galaxy 7 line phones, I wish there were more options to adjust the settings. Any recommended photo apps?

http://www.imore.com/best-manual-camera-apps-iphone

I use Manual, but I'm also test driving Obscura right now.

I would've recommended vsco (for post processing) before too, but their new design is honestly one of the worst app redesigns in recent memory so I've moved over to Darkroom, which not only has a sensible UI but curves adjustment.

Here's a review: http://thesweetsetup.com/apps/best-photo-editing-app-iphone

Top Bottom