• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

Just checked for fun with my phone provider (Rogers), and the black 7+ models are on a 3+ month wait currently. I should see mine sometime next month (fingers crossed).

Sean

Banned
Not sure if it's just me, but I'm finding it super difficult to trigger Apple Pay with a double-tap of home button on the iPhone 7.

It seems like it always unlocks the phone immediately (and brings me to the home screen) before it registers the second press. I've tried numerous times double-tapping it at different speeds etc but I can only get Apple Pay to come up maybe 1 out of 10 attempts.

DOWN

Banned
Not sure if it's just me, but I'm finding it super difficult to trigger Apple Pay with a double-tap of home button on the iPhone 7.

It seems like it always unlocks the phone immediately (and brings me to the home screen) before it registers the second press. I've tried numerous times double-tapping it at different speeds etc but I can only get Apple Pay to come up maybe 1 out of 10 attempts.
You know that Apple Pay comes up automatically without clicking the button when you hold it near an NFC reader?

Sean

Banned
You know that Apple Pay comes up automatically without clicking the button when you hold it near an NFC reader?

Didn't know that actually, I've always been double-tapping it manually when I'm standing like a foot away and then moving my phone/watch into position. Good to know.

I think I'd still need to manually trigger it for Passes and stuff though (Fandango etc) which don't support NFC. And I just can't seem to bring it up with any sort of consistency, besides using a fingerprint that hasn't been set up for Touch ID.

toohectic

The default unlock and the Apple Pay basically share the same command, so I could imagine it may be an issue. Does changing the double click speed setting, or enabling the rest-to-unlock option have any effect on it? I don't have a 7 yet to experiment on. Most people probably never use the double-click to bring up Apple Pay option, and instead rely on the NFC proximity sensor to bring up Apple Pay, so the bug/conflict may not be that noticeable.

demigod

Managed to snag a Matte Black 128GB Sprint at Apple with this link. The rep over the phone and the guy at apple store kept telling me that I have to sign up with Sprint but that was a lie. My nephew went to a different one and he told me the rep there told him that I can just buy it outright without signing up with Sprint. So now I have an unlocked iphone without having to wait weeks for it.

bananas

Banned
Had a matte black iPhone 7 for two days. Returned it today. Doesn't feel like a substatinal enough of an upgrade from my 6S Plus. :p

jrDev

So has anyone here upgraded with Tmobiles promotion for $120 month without paying installments? I'm trying to understand the promo, do I actually pay for both my wife and my line for just $120 plus tax or are their extra fees?
Did anyone do this?

Sirstaroth

Neo Member
Just ordered my iPhone 7 Plus 128 GB Matte Black from T-Mobile! ........ Its expected to ship on Nov 1st (WTF?)....... Been away from Apple for two years. Going to be interesting coming back. Girlfriend has always been an Android/Samsung user and decided to try iOS for a year since I switched to Android. But her regular 7 ships tomorrow.

I was on the fence about getting the Plus, since I currently have the S7 Edge, but I hope its not too much of a dramatic change for me.

Anustart

Did anyone do this?

You'll still end up paying a monthly fee on the phone itself which totals more than than the quoted amount, but it is a net cost of the promo price, depending on model.

You get a monthly bill credit, as well as a trade in credit. The trade in credit doesn't come off the cost of the phone, but rather hits the account.

Just ordered my iPhone 7 Plus 128 GB Matte Black from T-Mobile! ........ Its expected to ship on Nov 1st (WTF?)....... Been away from Apple for two years. Going to be interesting coming back. Girlfriend has always been an Android/Samsung user and decided to try iOS for a year since I switched to Android. But her regular 7 ships tomorrow.

I was on the fence about getting the Plus, since I currently have the S7 Edge, but I hope its not too much of a dramatic change for me.

Last year the Rose Gold's were estimated to ship in like december but people got them immediately. Nothing guaranteed, but look forward to getting it early.

Managed to snag a Matte Black 128GB Sprint at Apple with this link. The rep over the phone and the guy at apple store kept telling me that I have to sign up with Sprint but that was a lie. My nephew went to a different one and he told me the rep there told him that I can just buy it outright without signing up with Sprint. So now I have an unlocked iphone without having to wait weeks for it.

And you activated it on AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon with no issues? I've been wondering if I can do that because there's not a lot of supply of AT&T phones (my network) but there is comparatively more supply of Sprint phones and I just wanna buy one and be done with it.

do you guys think a 7 is big enough coming from a 5s?

i feel like my iPad covers any larger screen size i might need

also talk me out of this

demigod

And you activated it on AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon with no issues? I've been wondering if I can do that because there's not a lot of supply of AT&T phones (my network) but there is comparatively more supply of Sprint phones and I just wanna buy one and be done with it.

The rep assured me it was unlocked. I'll let you know after I transfer do my backup and restore on new phone with AT&T sim.

So following up on my car experience, I sat down today with my 6s and 7 and some Seinnheiser 280 Pro headphones to do a sound comparison with higher-quality audio. The Seinnheisers aren't quite audiophile-level quality, but I know them well, and they are relatively neutral. I equalized the volume (the 7 needed to actually go up one notch further than the 6s) so there was no perceptual difference due to loudness.

The result is not good. In all cases, the 7 had a loss of lower midrange frequencies, and a loss of the 3D soundstage. Overall all the songs I listened to on the 7 sounded muffled and thin, and most of the soundstage was focused in the center. Brittle and a loss of subtle detail. Listening to the 7 started to hurt my ears after a while the same way that listening to low bitrate mp3s used to do.

Here's a few songs I compared. Everything I listened to was 320 mp3/aac or Apple Lossless files. So, again, not audiophile "oh I won't notice" stuff, but average music files most people have in their library.

David Bowie – Five Years. On the 6s, I could hear the rattle of the opening snare and its satisfying midrange thump typical of early '70s recording style. On the 7 there was only a hint of rattle, and the thump had all the meat cut out of the bottom. Bowie's voice sounds thin and distant on the 7, blending into the other instruments. The lower frequencies of his voice are gone, same with the growling bassline.

Bjork – Like Someone in Love. This was recorded on a rooftop, and in the beginning you can hear kids playing and a big truck driving. The soundstage on the 6s is amazing and I feel like I'm in the middle of that scene, with the garbage truck rumbling through. On the 7 the soundstage is flattened considerably and the lower-end of the truck's growls and hisses are gone. And then there's Bjork's voice, which on the 7 has all the lower-range roundness taken out of it. It just sounds thin.

Led Zeppelin – Ramble On. The soundstage of the intro is fantastic on the 6s, you can pick out the locations of individual instruments, but no surprise, on the 7 it sounds very narrow, hazy, and thin.

Nina Simone – Why Keep On Breaking My Heart. The power of Nina's voice is lessened on the 7, both in force and texture. When the backup singers come in, her voice starts to blend in on the 7, while on the 6s it remains a singular thing. As with every other singer and instrument, there's a slice of lower-end frequencies that are absent in her voice on the 7. The bass also lacks punch.

Sonic Youth – Rats. So much detail lost in this song on the 7, from the punch of Kim Gordon's bass to the crispness of the snare. Then when Thurston's guitar wash comes in, on the 6s it covers the soundstage with subtle textures. On the 7 it's a vague hiss of sound. And when Lee Ranaldo's voice comes in, there's a growl on the 6s which is completely lost on the 7.

I could go on and on with other songs, but the point is, the 7 with the dongle is shit. This is a major step back after the great audio quality on the 6s, and I'd say it's probably the worst the iPhone has ever sounded. I don't know if they purposefully thinned the sound before it even hits the dongle to make it sound better on the earbuds, or if this is a hardware fumble, but the result is that I'm going to have to use a second iPhone when I want to listen to music because the audio quality with the 7 is not acceptable. It remains to be seen if lightning connection headphones also exhibit this problem. The earbuds are just not good enough quality to compare.

I've tried to stay neutral and open-minded on the no headphone jack issue, but after doing these tests I can say Apple really fucked up here. I am not happy.

Crazyorloco

Haha I ordered mine Friday and it says it would be shipped between November 1 and 30th. I'm sure we'll get it earlier.

I hope

Sean

Banned
The default unlock and the Apple Pay basically share the same command, so I could imagine it may be an issue. Does changing the double click speed setting, or enabling the rest-to-unlock option have any effect on it? I don't have a 7 yet to experiment on. Most people probably never use the double-click to bring up Apple Pay option, and instead rely on the NFC proximity sensor to bring up Apple Pay, so the bug/conflict may not be that noticeable.

I'm using rest-to-unlock and home button sensitivity #3 (firmest click, which seems closest to the old physical button). But I've tried numerous configurations and haven't had any luck with them.

Just seems like the Touch ID sensor works too fast and unlocks the phone immediately. Which is a great thing 99.9% of the time, but conflicts with the double-tap for Apple Pay/Wallet. No big deal though since there's alternate methods to bring up Apple Pay.

Sh0k

Reposting this for the new page.

Anyone have a problem with the iPhone 7 camera, mine from time to time turns all black, tries to get in focus for a moment but stops working, even the touchscreen stops working, not being able to take a picture or switch to the front camera.

Turning off the phone completely and turning it back on, seems to fix the problem. This is the second time it happened.

Doing a search in google, it says that is more like it a software problem and not hardware. I guess I'll give it a few more days before going through the hassle of an exchange.

Makki

Overall all the songs I listened to on the 7 sounded muffled and thin, and most of the soundstage was focused in the center. Brittle and a loss of subtle detail. Listening to the 7 started to hurt my ears after a while the same way that listening to low bitrate mp3s used to do.
wBvEAYH.gif

Ecto311

Any good comparisons to the note 7 out there. Not looking for fanboy shit but a decent comparison. I use my headphones on my phone everyday and don't want a goddamn dongle being a problem. I also don't want a janky ass fireball next to my junk.

Thaedolus

Had my 7 in my pocket on Grizzly Rapids at California adventure a couple hours ago. My earbuds were plugged in and my leg got drenched twice. Everyone freaked about it the first time, but I shrugged it off. Feels good man.

outsidah

do you guys think a 7 is big enough coming from a 5s?

i feel like my iPad covers any larger screen size i might need

also talk me out of this

I have an SE and a 7 Plus. My biggest issue with the 5S/SE is that a lot of apps and websites are tending to show in a scrunched up form due to developers moving away from the smaller screen sizes. It annoys the crap out of me because I like having the option of a small phone. I think you will enjoy the 7. I'd have purchased a regular 7 had it not been for the camera tricks of the 7P

Reposting this for the new page.

Anyone have a problem with the iPhone 7 camera, mine from time to time turns all black, tries to get in focus for a moment but stops working, even the touchscreen stops working, not being able to take a picture or switch to the front camera.

Turning off the phone completely and turning it back on, seems to fix the problem. This is the second time it happened.

Doing a search in google, it says that is more like it a software problem and not hardware. I guess I'll give it a few more days before going through the hassle of an exchange.

90% of the software problems are fixed by erase all settings and then restore over iCloud. Had to do it twice now on my 7 but it actually did fix some problems. It's totally unintuitive because you never see an error during restore and of course our phones are mere day(s) old but it does work much more often than not. Would definitely try it, unless you already did so and it happened after.

Oh and my bookmark issue (seems?) to have been resolved by going into Safari settings and erasing all history, cookies, etc. Apparently some is saved in iCloud, so that's really the only way to clear info that might be affecting Safari after a restore...

Sh0k

90% of the software problems are fixed by erase all settings and then restore over iCloud. Had to do it twice now on my 7 but it actually did fix some problems. It's totally unintuitive because you never see an error during restore and of course our phones are mere day(s) old but it does work much more often than not. Would definitely try it, unless you already did so and it happened after.

Oh and my bookmark issue (seems?) to have been resolved by going into Safari settings and erasing all history, cookies, etc. Apparently some is saved in iCloud, so that's really the only way to clear info that might be affecting Safari after a restore...

Haven't tried restoring yet, I will do it tomorrow after work to see if that fixes the problem. Thanks!

Ex:2

Same, purchased a Verizon iPhone 7. Put in my T-Mobile sim and it works just fine. I was told it locks to The carrier who's sim you used on first boot up.

demigod

Same, purchased a Verizon iPhone 7. Put in my T-Mobile sim and it works just fine. I was told it locks to The carrier who's sim you used on first boot up.

Oh shit really? I hope this isn't the case. I just put in my AT&T sim and it works but i'm switching over to Tmobile.

sangreal

I don't know about other carriers but all Verizon LTE phones are 100% unlocked. It was a concession they made to the FCC when buying up spectrum. You can switch sims as much as you want

You were able to straight-up buy the phone? How come on Apple's website you have to have a Verizon account?

I regret not pre-ordering an iPhone 7 32GB along with my iPhone 7+.

T-Mobile changed their policy of their iPhone 6 Trade in, so right now my $400 credit can only be applied to my only pre-order: iPhone 7+ 128GB.

I thought about getting the iPhone 7 32GB instead to save $220 and have a smaller and more portable phone, but T-Mobile changed their Trade in policy on the day I wanted to make another pre-order. :(

Top Bottom