• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iron Giant Collector's Edition Blu-ray announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
Pretty cool:

XpLXIeV.jpg

ULTIMATE COLLECTOR'S EDITION CONTENT:
A letter from Director Brad Bird to the fans
Five Mondo Art Cards
Beautiful 32-Page Book
Collectible Iron Giant Figurine
Blu-ray, DVD, and Digital HD Combo Pack

SPECIAL FEATURES:
The Giant's Dream: An all new documentary about the dramatic story behind the making one of the world's greatest animated films, The Iron Giant.
Includes both version of the film: The Iron Giant: Signature Edition (2015) The Iron Giant: Original Theatrical Edition (1999)
Feature-Length Commentaries by Director Brad Bird, Head of Animation Tony Fucile, Story Department Head Jeff Lynch and Giant Animation Supervisor Steven Markowski
The Making of The Iron Giant – Hosted by Vin Diesel and featuring interviews with the cast and crew
Deleted Scenes, Original Opening Sequences and Featurettes that give you an inside look into the score, character design, storyboards and animation
Motion Gallery, New Signature Edition Trailer, and more!

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=18756

Did the added scenes to the Signature Edition add anything to the film?

Magwik

Banned
In before Batman v Superman jokes ruin the thread.
But it's about damn time for a proper bluray release.

THE BETTER SUPERMAN MO-

Oh

I soooo regret missing the theater re-release so I will rectify this buy 3 of these. Notice me, Mr. Bird. Notice me.

BHK3

Banned
At least add the most important piece of information; THE RELEASE DATE which is September 6. I remember the signature edition has been known since last year though, wonder why it took so long.

Pau

Watched the theater release last year. One scene is pretty significant:
The Giant's memories/nightmare about his home planet.
The other is pretty short and more character development:
Some flirting between Dean and Hogarth's mom.
Neither really change anything and the film works just fine without them, but I did like them.

At least add the most important piece of information; THE RELEASE DATE which is September 6. I remember the signature edition has been known since last year though, wonder why it took so long.
Thanks!

I know what I'm getting for my birthday this year. :3

Salsa

film is great

but im really weirded out by how much they've been milking it with re-releases and stuff lately

I bet they're offering Bird the biggest bag of money to make a sequel

film is great

but im really weirded out by how much they've been milking it with re-releases and stuff lately

Would love another hand drawn feature from Bird, but he's probably gearing up for The Incredibles 2 right now.

There were only 2 new scenes added to the Signature Edition:

They show Dean having that date with Annie at the diner that would plant the seed of their future relationship.
The Giant's true purpose for why he was made and sent to Earth is revealed through a trippy dream sequence.

They were both short and ok although not really needed to be honest.

neonglow

This set will be $75. As much as I want it, I think I'll wait for a sale. It's close enough to Black Friday that some retailer will discount it.

There were only 2 new scenes added to the Signature Edition:

They show Dean having that date with Annie at the diner that would plant the seed of their future relationship.
The Giant's true purpose for why he was made and sent to Earth is revealed through a trippy dream sequence.

They were both short and ok although not really needed to be honest.

I got a feeling when they were deleted scenes that Bird really wanted to add those in.

Bought so easy. Been waiting for this one to pop up. September 6 is so far awayyyyyy thoooooooooooo

I forget though, did they go back and actually do a new transfer from the old animation cels?

Lotto

the iron giant statue mondo released a while back that was $300 was too much for my blood but this seems like a fine compromise!

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
LMAO at the figure being the exact same cheap trinket they threw in with the original VHS release. Finally clearing out their warehouse after all this time.

JordanN

Banned
film is great

The Iron Giant was originally a huge box office bomb because Warners put out no marketing for it. It wasn't until the DVD/vhs releases did they learn their lesson and try to promote it.

It's possible they're doing this to try and make their money back on this after spending more than $50 million on it.

film is great

Is a limited theatrical release of the restored version and a Blu-ray release a year later really milking it much? I suppose you could be counting the DVD that came out last fall, but it's the same version, aimed at a different demographic. It's not like they double dipped with two Blu-ray editions within a year. Considering how they manhandled the film at its original theatrical release and how Bird has been talking about a BD release for years now, i think the film warrants some marketing and attention.

I got a feeling when they were deleted scenes that Bird really wanted to add those in.

Yeah, the way he talked about them in the featurette on the original DVD certainly sounded that way. Iirc he said that while he thinks the film works without them, it would have been just a little bit better with them. There were more deleted/unfinished scenes and he didn't have the same sentiment regarding those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom