• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

zbarron

Update for culinary GAF ! Meg Galus, the executive pastry chef of Boka in Chicago reached out to me today after finally discussing my internship with her higher ups.
She offered me a paid internship position which will have me as prep cook and plater for the Michelin starred restaurant.

I accepted the offer and begin in less than two weeks. I feel like crying from how happy I am. She eventually wants to train me to open and close full pastry service by myself. I couldn't believe it when she said it. The position will be on weekends and will alleviate me from working during the week after class (I've been pulling 15 hour days since class started three months ago. Aka class in the am and work until late pm). So not only will I be able to focus on my pastry school work, I will also be working in a kitchen.

I'm so fucking overwhelmed with feelings right now. Omg.

Congratulations. That's so amazing to hear. We're all proud of you.

Congrats! It might be fun to have a listing in the first post with the restaurants that various regular posters work at--I travel a bit for work (mostly LAX, SFO, SEA because it's the game industry) and it'd be fun to drop in where fellow IronGAFfers work.

That's actually a damn good idea.

Zyzyxxz

Well seeing as I have no restaurant right now but working on a concept I'll probably update it soon. Also I'd imagine that in this industry since people move around so much I'd imagine the lists can be out of date very fast.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I'm the asst manager for the Tom Douglas bread bakery in downtown Seattle

http://tomdouglas.com/blog/2015/01/our-bread-bakers-have-moved-into-their-new-home/

The restaurant our bakery is in isn't very good -- as far as Mexican food goes, it's flat-out embarrassing, but it's still an inexplicably popular spot -- but I'm always happy to say hi when people poke their head in (and plenty do, since there isn't much separation between the bar seating and our production area.

wyFAUo3.jpg

Zyzyxxz

I'm the asst manager for the Tom Douglas bread bakery in downtown Seattle

http://tomdouglas.com/blog/2015/01/our-bread-bakers-have-moved-into-their-new-home/

The restaurant our bakery is in isn't very good -- as far as Mexican food goes, it's flat-out embarrassing, but it's still an inexplicably popular spot -- but I'm always happy to say hi when people poke their head in (and plenty do, since there isn't much separation between the bar seating and our production area.]

I had thought you might have left the industry although it seems you have taken on a more managerial role instead of being hands on? Still glad to see you make it work in this industry some way.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I would still leave if there were some way to figure it out, but everything seems to require more time and money than I have to spare.

Being an assistant manager is still plenty of hands-on baking, but now I do inventory, ordering, and office-y stuff in addition. The pay raise was fair, and probably the only way I was ever going to make a bit more money in this line of work.

entremet

Pretty cool seeing so many in the industry.

I'm out of it these days, but it's definitely very different than any work culture I've experienced! The stuff I saw would get you fired in the corporate world lol. And that was the norm!

My only regret was not starting younger, when I had more energy. Maybe would've have stuck around longer.

Zyzyxxz

My only regret was not starting younger, when I had more energy. Maybe would've have stuck around longer.

LOL I feel that way and I'm still stuck here going on almost 7 years and to think there's a 16 year old prodigy starting up his gig in New York City.

I don't feel threatened though at the end of the day I know what I want to do and I don't see many people with the courage to attempt the ideas I want to put forth so I still have something to contribute to this industry despite how jaded I may pretend to be.

Minus_Me

I lurk this thread, but Boka is a staple of my business trips to Chicago.

Place is amazing, so congratulations InfiniteBento on the position. Maybe I'll be eating your desserts next time!

zbarron

I got cake pan. Yay!
21699802871_579594bee1_h.jpg

We had a downed thick branch from a maple tree in our yard so I took an axe and split it to firewood sized chunks. I threw it in the smoker since it's bigger than my grill and lit it up. Sadly it didn't go as well as planned.
21502759678_3ad8665f43_h.jpg

I killed my smoker. The paint bubbled, caught fire and flaked off. Not much of a loss. It was only $20, I didn't feel like storing it for the winter and I kept the thermometer it had on it.

I did however get to make a wood fired loaf of bread. It's obviously the one on the left. It cooked in just a few miniutes.
21503769159_c7c88e2aaa_h.jpg

I can see the appeal of making pizza at this temperature.

zbarron

Is nobody cooking anymore?
I pounded chicken thighs thin this morning and marinated them in a buttermilk mix.

For the first batch I made chicken fried chicken.
21836155522_b3c1f7123f_h.jpg

It came out a little dark but didn't taste burnt at all. The breading was crispy and the meat juicy and tender.

For the second batch I cut each thigh in eighths to make boneless BBQ wings.
21659342628_92a9a3c473_h.jpg

They tasted at least as good as from a bar but juicier since they're thighs instead of breasts.

I had leftover that needed cooked and fried foods don't keep so I made pulled BBQ chicken with the last of it, BBQ sauce and some salsa verde.
21661287380_1aaa1a2d42_h.jpg

le-seb

Yeah, same for me, I've only been cooking very simple meals lately.
But, hey, had some fun with some of them, so why not...

Mille-feuille de tomates, courgettes et œuf dur
IMG_20150916_192611.JPG

Farandole de légumes d'été du Roi d'Ossau*
IMG_20150922_133741.JPG

Just having some fun with the way cooks pompously name their recipe. Basically, that's a ratatouille au jambon de pays.

zbarron

I've been cooking very simply since I'm saving money for a trip to Hong Kong/Taiwan. Maybe I'll cook something picture worthy soonish.
I like simple. Hell my last post is chicken fried chicken. Not exactly haute cuisine. What is simple for you?
Yeah, same for me, I've only been cooking very simple meals lately.
But, hey, had some fun with some of them, so why not...
Just having some fun with the way cooks pompously name their recipe. Basically, that's a ratatouille au jambon de pays.

I love it looks fresh and tasty.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I'm in the middle of a job change right now :)
Hopedully, I'll have mor time at hand for cooking again after that.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Here's a crappy pic of a risotto I made on monday. Came home at 20:00 after the gym, made stock in the pressure cooker, and then made the risotto with the meat from the thighs and legs from a roast chicken from the previous day. The rest of the carcass and the bones went into the stock. Needless to say I ate late... 22:30. Also chanterelles and oyster mushrooms.

jF01mQR.jpg

zbarron

I'm in the middle of a job change right now :)
Hopedully, I'll have mor time at hand for cooking again after that.
That's exciting. Hope it goes well.

Here's a crappy pic of a risotto I made on monday. Came home at 20:00 after the gym, made stock in the pressure cooker, and then made the risotto with the meat from the thighs and legs from a roast chicken from the previous day. The rest of the carcass and the bones went into the stock. Needless to say I ate late... 22:30. Also chanterelles and oyster mushrooms.

jF01mQR.jpg
Bravo on the motivation.
My bad, should be fixed in my post now.
Nice. I edited my post.

Been working quite a bit on the holiday release myself. Garlic harvest final after drying, with kiwi for reference:

IMG_4067.png

Roasting brussel sprouts for a tofu/brussel sprouts/mushroom dish that I think I've talked about on here before, but hey this is what we're cooking in the season...

IMG_4068.png

Sauteeing mushrooms:

IMG_4069.png

Squash for a roasted squash with tahini and zatar and other middle east spices:

IMG_4071.png

Final saute of the brussels, mushrooms and tofu:

IMG_4072.png

Final prep of squash with roasted onions, pine nuts, tahini and zatar:

IMG_4073.png

Actually spent today making cider outside at a friend's. Apples from his trees:

IMG_4095.png

Press we used:

IMG_4097.png

Grind the apples into the bucket on the right, which is lined with a heavy duty cheese cloth. Switch that over to the left and fold the cheese cloth over top, then turn the winch to press down and extract the juice, which pours through another finer cheesecloth into the retaining vessel. Pour that out into containers to serve. Cider was damn good.

Been working quite a bit on the holiday release myself. Garlic harvest final after drying, with kiwi for reference:

IMG_4067.png

Roasting brussel sprouts for a tofu/brussel sprouts/mushroom dish that I think I've talked about on here before, but hey this is what we're cooking in the season...

IMG_4068.png

Sauteeing mushrooms:

IMG_4069.png

Squash for a roasted squash with tahini and zatar and other middle east spices:

IMG_4071.png

Final saute of the brussels, mushrooms and tofu:

IMG_4072.png

Final prep of squash with roasted onions, pine nuts, tahini and zatar:

IMG_4073.png

Actually spent today making cider outside at a friend's. Apples from his trees:

IMG_4095.png

Press we used:

IMG_4097.png

Grind the apples into the bucket on the right, which is lined with a heavy duty cheese cloth. Switch that over to the left and fold the cheese cloth over top, then turn the winch to press down and extract the juice, which pours through another finer cheesecloth into the retaining vessel. Pour that out into containers to serve. Cider was damn good.

I've never had fresh pressed cider. I'm jealous because it sounds amaaaaazing.

le-seb

I've never had fresh pressed cider. I'm jealous because it sounds amaaaaazing.
Um, technically speaking it's nothing more than apple juice right after pressing.
The following alcoholic fermentation is what will transform this juice into cider.

Freshly pressed fruit juices are awesome, anyway.

Um, technically speaking it's nothing more than apple juice right after pressing.
The following alcoholic fermentation is what will transform this juice into cider.

Freshly pressed fruit juices are awesome, anyway.

In the US, especially in New England, cider is used colloquially to refer to unfiltered (and unpasteurized I suppose) apple juice. Alcoholic cider is referred to as 'hard cider' or even sometimes local names such as 'applejack', etc.

Here's another shot for you Bento:

cider.jpeg

If you come to Maine in the fall we'll make you some ;).

I watched Chef for the first time a couple days ago and it was a pretty good film.
he only thing I didn't like about it was Robert Downey Jr.'s scene. I think this movie only had a limited release when it came out, but it should've had a worldwide one, but I suppose a movie about cooking doesn't provide mainstream appeal.

This is also the only movie where I was good with social media inclusion. It didn't feel like they were threw it in because it's what's relevant with the youngins these days, but because it actually served a great purpose to the narrative and the main character's character and relationship with his son.

The movie also had some really good looking food in it. I had to grab me something to eat while I was watching it.

zbarron

In the US, especially in New England, cider is used colloquially to refer to unfiltered (and unpasteurized I suppose) apple juice. Alcoholic cider is referred to as 'hard cider' or even sometimes local names such as 'applejack', etc.
I thought applejack was of a higher proof and uncarbonated.

I watched Chef for the first time a couple days ago and it was a pretty good film.
he only thing I didn't like about it was Robert Downey Jr.'s scene. I think this movie only had a limited release when it came out, but it should've had a worldwide one, but I suppose a movie about cooking doesn't provide mainstream appeal.

This is also the only movie where I was good with social media inclusion. It didn't feel like they were threw it in because it's what's relevant with the youngins these days, but because it actually served a great purpose to the narrative and the main character's character and relationship with his son.

The movie also had some really good looking food in it. I had to grab me something to eat while I was watching it.

I really need to see this movie. I've heard good things.

Zyzyxxz

The movie was entertaining but definitely a bit cheesy with the chef philosophies during some points.

Also the story is such a total dream wish, who gets to choose between an ex-wife and hostess like those two and ex-wife is rich as fuck and still supportive. I wish my chef life was anywhere close to that.

Roasted a duck that I'd been craving to have for a while now. It was nicely brined, so the flavors have seeped right through to the bone. I forgot my twine though, but it was too late in the game to turn back at that point.

Took the breast and made seasoned grits(or polenta if you drink with a pinky up) with stock and duck fat.

entremet

Roasted a duck that I'd been craving to have for a while now. It was nicely brined, so the flavors have seeped right through to the bone. I forgot my twine though, but it was too late in the game to turn back at that point.

Took the breast and made seasoned grits(or polenta if you drink with a pinky up) with stock and duck fat.

Nice! What camera are you using?

zbarron

I love how a $775 camera is your idea of nothing too fancy. Seriously though the duck looks superb and they are great shots.

Are those being cooked in butter, OnkelC?

What's the weather like for everyone? On October first it immediately started getting colder around here and fall hit. It was weird.

I love how a $775 camera is your idea of nothing too fancy. Seriously though the duck looks superb and they are great shots.
Yikes, it isn't that high is it? I got this for like 400 bucks. It is kind low tier in the camera world though. The 5D and whatnot are considered high end as far as I know. Thanks btw lol

The weather has been pretty cool as of late, and I'm seriously missing the heat. It's perfect at the moment for relaxing and being out and about, but I love the Texas heat wave for being physical in. It really gets me going. I love grilling in the heat as well.

zbarron

Yikes, it isn't that high is it? I got this for like 400 bucks. It is kind low tier in the camera world though. The 5D and whatnot are considered high end as far as I know. Thanks btw lol

The weather has been pretty cool as of late, and I'm seriously missing the heat. It's perfect at the moment for relaxing and being out and about, but I love the Texas heat wave for being physical in. It really gets me going. I love grilling in the heat as well.

That's the Amazon Price. The 5D is Three-grand. Photography is an expensive hobby. I'm rocking a Sony A3000 that retailed for about $400 that I got for a little over $100 open box from best buy. It's slow and the screen on the back is pretty crap but it takes some nice pictures. It would look better if I used a better lens and didn't let my son play with it.

I like this weather. It's the time of year where I need neither air conditioning nor heat. I'm simply comfortable. I am adjusting what I cook though and dreading another Ohio winter.

I like this weather. It's the time of year where I need neither air conditioning nor heat. I'm simply comfortable. I am adjusting what I cook though and dreading another Ohio winter.
I spent a ton of time in Ohio visiting family when I was younger. Those winters can get pretty crazy.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
This weekend is Japanese Sunday at home, so I went to the Asian market to buy some Kewpie Mayonnaise.

A 1 litre, Chinese made bottle goes for €16.

rMGy4Rr.gif

I think I'll make my own.

So quenelling ice cream is a bitch. Sometimes I'm on point but others its just a sad little poop canoe. :mad:

Smearing chocolate in a perfect circle is also hard as fuck.

All these little basic things are so much more difficult than I imagined. I have a lot to learn ;___;

Thankfully, my chef is forgiving and keeps pushing me harder to do better. I don't suck that badly but I'm not the best with consistency yet.

entremet

So quenelling ice cream is a bitch. Sometimes I'm on point but others its just a sad little poop canoe. :mad:

Smearing chocolate in a perfect circle is also hard as fuck.

All these little basic things are so much more difficult than I imagined. I have a lot to learn ;___;

Thankfully, my chef is forgiving and keeps pushing me harder to do better. I don't suck that badly but I'm not the best with consistency yet.

Yeah, I remember quenelling ice cream on the line during service for the first time. I was fucking up big time. Luckily I got it in time.

Smooth, quick motions is key along with a slightly warmed spoon in a bain marie setup.

Yeah, I remember quenelling ice cream on the line during service for the first time. I was fucking up big time. Luckily I got it in time.

Smooth, quick motions is key along with a slightly warmed spoon in a bain marie setup.

I need to just dive in and go for it. I keep hesitating. Its also difficult because we are responsible for cheese plates and baking bread too. So I'll be in the middle of quenelling and then hear "fire bread!" and I have to stop and run and fire it or fire cheese plates in the middle of doing it too. Its a lot to juggle all while learning. I only work on weekends in the restaurant also so its a little insane for a learning environment.

Zyzyxxz

I need to just dive in and go for it. I keep hesitating. Its also difficult because we are responsible for cheese plates and baking bread too. So I'll be in the middle of quenelling and then hear "fire bread!" and I have to stop and run and fire it or fire cheese plates in the middle of doing it too. Its a lot to juggle all while learning. I only work on weekends in the restaurant also so its a little insane for a learning environment.

You become better by working those weekends. If I had never learned how to run a crew of cooks weekend brunch (and we did covers LOL like 500-600) I would never have gained the confidence to be at the point where I am now: which is being hired for consulting gigs as an exec chef. Stick to it and you never know how fast you can become a rising star in the industry especially working at a 3 michelin star place. If you can attend and work events for the restaurant like Starchefs, Food & Wine, Bon Appetit etc. great networking and its a good way to broaden your perspective of the industry on a national level.

But yeah work on that quenelle! If you want to practice on your own spare time buy a small container of crisco vegetable shortening (or steal a deli cup from the kitchen nobody will notice) and practice on that. The great thing about it is that it doesn't melt unless its hot as hell itself so you can practice at reasonable temperatures at your own pace.

You become better by working those weekends. If I had never learned how to run a crew of cooks weekend brunch (and we did covers LOL like 500-600) I would never have gained the confidence to be at the point where I am now: which is being hired for consulting gigs as an exec chef. Stick to it and you never know how fast you can become a rising star in the industry especially working at a 3 michelin star place. If you can attend and work events for the restaurant like Starchefs, Food & Wine, Bon Appetit etc. great networking and its a good way to broaden your perspective of the industry on a national level.

But yeah work on that quenelle! If you want to practice on your own spare time buy a small container of crisco vegetable shortening (or steal a deli cup from the kitchen nobody will notice) and practice on that. The great thing about it is that it doesn't melt unless its hot as hell itself so you can practice at reasonable temperatures at your own pace.

I bought some shitty ice cream and was practicing yesterday. I realized I'm not pushing my spoon in deep enough. It clicked and I started getting pretty decent quenelles out of it. Some were a little fat in the center but I think if I cut them more after i rinse my spoon the second time, I can get that tail pretty on point and have a solid body too. I'm glad I'm working in a fast paced environment, I just hope I can keep up as service gets more intense. Its nice loving what I'm doing right now though. This is the first time in my life I'm actually working in the career I want. Even though I'm at the very bottom right now, I'm hopeful I will some day climb this ladder and get better every day along the way. I'm in that stage of fucking shit up often and learning from it. ;___;

Tried cooking cow tongue for the first time. I've never even tasted the stuff before. Put it in a basic brine for 24 hours then cooked it in simmering water for about 2 hours. Then had to peel it which was annoying and painful. Cut them into 1 inch thick pieces and sautéd them and finished them off by basting them with fried rosemary and butter. They came out tender and absolutely delicious, pretty proud of myself.

Silkworm

Tried cooking cow tongue for the first time. I've never even tasted the stuff before. Put it in a basic brine for 24 hours then cooked it in simmering water for about 2 hours. Then had to peel it which was annoying and painful. Cut them into 1 inch thick pieces and sautéd them and finished them off by basting them with fried rosemary and butter. They came out tender and absolutely delicious, pretty proud of myself.

Looks great! Congrats on your efforts turning out so well.

I'm wondering, would this type of meat work well in a pressure cooker? I've never tried to prepare cow tongue, but I figured a pressure cooker might help speed things up.

I'm wondering, would this type of meat work well in a pressure cooker? I've never tried to prepare cow tongue, but I figured a pressure cooker might help speed things up.

I don't know I never saw a recipe online use it so I thought there might be something wrong with doing it in a pressure cooker. Just like a lot of deli's don't pressure cook corn beef maybe they do it like that because it's better.

le-seb

My various cookbooks say you can: 3 hours regular boil ; 1-1.5h with pressure cooker (depending on size of tongue, most recipes go with 1h).

There's basically nothing you cannot cook with a pressure cooker.
The tongue isn't even in contact with the steam.

Zyzyxxz

Yes pressure cooked tongue will work fine.

Top Bottom