• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

Silkworm

Thanks for all the helpful replies to my inquiry regarding using a pressure cooker with beef tongue. I don't actually have a pressure cooker (a shame I admit) but I was curious of its potential use in this regard. I do however have a slow cooker so that would probably be the easiest way to go for me though the recipe biosnake20 followed obviously turned out quite well, so that's always an option as well. Thanks for sharing your expertise and for biosnake20 sharing his successful efforts in cooking beef tongue. One day I'd like to try my hand at it along with preparing oxtail, these being cuts of meat I've never tried but look appealing to me.

le-seb

Confit de canard et butternut en crumble épicé
CIMG1203_v1.JPG

Had a butternut squash in last week's veggie basket, and didn't know how to use it, so tried this recipe.
It's basically a parmentier made with some duck confit instead of beef, and a 2/3 butternut squash 1/3 potato purée.
And there's some hazelnut crumble flavoured with some quatre épices spice mix on top.

Very tasty, but shredding the meat was a real hassle.
The recipe called for 25 minutes preparation, it took me more than an hour...

zbarron

That looks very nice. I hate it when I try to time dinner and it takes longer than it says though. It throws the whole night off.

Last night I did a very easy very relaxed dinner. I made sous vide pork chops in a BBQ rub using some mojo mix, cocoa powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and a whole lot of smoked paprika to hopefully give it a hint of smokey flavor.
22145740425_37c69448e2_h.jpg

I threw the chops in the water bath and the sweet potatoes in the oven an hour before dinner. 45 minutes later I shut off the oven, and then shortly after seared the chops. Then all I had to do was heat up the green beans and plate. We did it picnic style which meant there was almost zero cleanup.

D-Pad

I tried making alton brown's biscuits... Double stacked them cause biscuit sandwiches.
CRDbXrnU8AAFiDl.jpg:large

CRDiqoEUYAAlBig.jpg:large

That was the first time. Today I tried making them a little thicker and brushed on more butter while they baked (and less flour on the counter lol)... No pics though, sorry. Next time I think I'm going to go even thicker. Third time's the charm!

zbarron

Wow. Those look amazing. I've never tried that recipe. How long did they take to make?

I actually made chili and biscuits tonight. I wasn't planning on posting photos but these were the drop biscuits.
22122128566_78248c65fa_b.jpg

They're nothing special but the prep is less than five minutes. Don't mind the ugly picture.

D-Pad

They don't take long at all! Prep is about 15mins baking is another 15...

Oh man chilli and biscuits sound good right now. .. and I just ate =(

zbarron

I just bought my first wok. It's a 12" carbon steel wok with one long wood handle. I got it for $4.50 on sale. Anyone here use woks a lot and have tips to share? Also does anyone know what the cheapest cut of beef is that makes for a decent stir fry? Maybe skirt and flank steak used to be inexpensive but that's not true anymore, at least by me.

codhand

I just bought my first wok. It's a 12" carbon steel wok with one long wood handle. I got it for $4.50 on sale. Anyone here use woks a lot and have tips to share? Also does anyone know what the cheapest cut of beef is that makes for a decent stir fry? Maybe skirt and flank steak used to be inexpensive but that's not true anymore, at least by me.

Tips:

Have a super hot flame when using it, preferably gas not electric.

Season the wok with your choice of product after each use.

Use beef chuck for good stir fry. I recommend cutting the beef into thin strips, while it is still partially frozen, and marinating them in a soy sauce, worcestershire combination.

$4.50 for a product you will have your entire life, not bad sir.

zbarron

Tips:

Have a super hot flame when using it, preferably gas not electric.

Season the wok with your choice of product after each use.

Use beef chuck for good stir fry. I recommend cutting the beef into thin strips, while it is still partially frozen, and marinating them in a soy sauce, worcestershire combination.

$4.50 for a product you will have your entire life, not bad sir.

I have a gas stovetop but the burners are small.

I've been trying to get a good seasoning on it. This is what I've got so far.
22237449851_9fceb11ea3_b.jpg

My cast iron I just season in the oven. That's not an option here with the wood handle. I know it'll just take time.

Thanks. I was between chuck and round. I'll give it a try.

Yeah it was a great deal. It's the cheapest pan I own and I already love it. I was thinking of grabbing a spare at that price.

zbarron

Great video about the essence of being a chef:
https://vimeo.com/142219389

Very cool. I've often wondered the differences in working in a restaurant in Europe vs. the US.

I just got back from a local butcher and got a box of goodies. I wanted to show off my haul.
22061338678_30acfeb93e_c.jpg
21626339154_e87c594803_c.jpg
21626346444_456f2a57c7_c.jpg
21628058393_481c7b31bb_c.jpg

22249079505_6d90813eb0_c.jpg

3 lbs. of Round Steak
3 lbs. of Chuck
3 lbs. of Stew Meat
4 lbs. of Ground Beef
2 lbs. of Bacon
4 Pork Chops
1 Whole Chicken
4 lbs. of Smoked Ham Roast.

Total ~25 lbs.

Didn't want to double post:

I just made my first stir fry in the wok:
22310780695_d97f4d8e1b_h.jpg

I sliced the stew meat against the grain to make thing bite sized pieces and stir fried it in peanut oil with just a bag of frozen stir fry veggies. I topped with a sauce using sesame oil, soy sauce, Worcestershire, corn starch and a dash of sugar.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Made chili sunday, by Kenji's updated recipe. Turned out really, really good, probably my best batch yet.

Here served in a tortilla with creme fraiche, onions & cilantro tossed with some sherry vinegar, cheese and sriracha.

Rolled and pan fried.

Zyzyxxz

Made chili sunday, by Kenji's updated recipe. Turned out really, really good, probably my best batch yet.
d.

Man Kenji came to LA to serve fried chicken sandwiches and I missed it!!!!! Grrr... but I had to start at my new job so first impressions is everything.

zbarron

Speaking of Kenji I started reading his new book The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science. It's really good. I'm about half way though the soups and stews chapter. It has me so pumped to try some of these recipes.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Man Kenji came to LA to serve fried chicken sandwiches and I missed it!!!!! Grrr... but I had to start at my new job so first impressions is everything.

Aaargh, sucks to miss that. But a worthwhile cause, and congrats on the new job!

Yet more new things of excellence, finally:

lrUuE8W.jpg

Cheese: Woodriver Creamery Alpha's Morning Sun The package says they were going for something of a cross between a general cheddar and a general gruyere---they've succeeded in absolutely flying colors! Good aroma, melts well into something of a silky mass without any overabundance of oil that just sort of disintegrates in your mouth at the slightest bit of effort. Of the 3 rescue kittens from last year, usually only one of them takes a keen interest in pizza making in the hopes for scoring a bit of cheese---this time all 3 were freaking out, trying to climb up onto the table from various angles, and so on. Cat Approved!

Meat: Volpi Sopressa Veneta Volpi continues to impress---this one a fattier sort than the Capocolla, but in a good way that is as good straight out of the pack as it is atop the lot of it in the oven. I think there's only one more type left at the only store that has them, but I'd definitely like to sample just about the entire line at this rate.

http://www.ditalia.com/product/volpi-sopressata-sliced/gourmet-italian-salume-cured-meats-sliced

GiJoccin

Speaking of Kenji I started reading his new book The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science. It's really good. I'm about half way though the soups and stews chapter. It has me so pumped to try some of these recipes.

ive made 2 recipes from it, beef barley stew and baked ziti, both came out great

seems like an awesome basic cookbook of how to do everything

Various sized eggs as the hens get out of pullet and into regular eggs... and then... some giant ones.

eggs-1.png

It kind of sticks out. Double yolk, natch.

eggs-2.png

Tried to switch up bread making and did a "no knead" loaf in a Lodge dutch oven I bought:

bread-1.png

I had used a white wine vinegar rather than a distilled so the acidity was somewhat off, plus I had only rested it eight hours. This next loaf I did standard 5% acidity distilled white, and also let it rest like eighteen hours, got a better rise and shape out of it.

bread-2.png

Still think the dutch oven I got is too large, will try 1.5x the recipe next time, maybe even 2x, see if the shape turns out a bit more vertical that way. Annoying my smaller Le Creuset has the non-oven-safe handle. Bonus banana bread with an arse load of chocolate:

banana-1.png

Bit too dense, but at least unsurprisingly rich.

zbarron

Tried to switch up bread making and did a "no knead" loaf in a Lodge dutch oven I bought:

I had used a white wine vinegar rather than a distilled so the acidity was somewhat off, plus I had only rested it eight hours. This next loaf I did standard 5% acidity distilled white, and also let it rest like eighteen hours, got a better rise and shape out of it.

Still think the dutch oven I got is too large, will try 1.5x the recipe next time, maybe even 2x, see if the shape turns out a bit more vertical that way. Annoying my smaller Le Creuset has the non-oven-safe handle. Bonus banana bread with an arse load of chocolate:

Bit too dense, but at least unsurprisingly rich.

Which recipe did you use? Both the original Jim Lahey version and the Kenji tweak on it don't call for vinegar.

This Almost No Knead calls for both vinegar and beer and I've used it and enjoyed it.

Also which Lodge dutch oven were you using? I use the bare cast iron 5 quart one but I'm thinking of trying out the enameled version.

This Almost No Knead calls for both vinegar and beer and I've used it and enjoyed it.

Yeah, it's the CI recipe from their baking issue--same one. I have to say as someone used to significant kneading time I find it hard to not knead more...

Also which Lodge dutch oven were you using? I use the bare cast iron 5 quart one but I'm thinking of trying out the enameled version.

It's the uncoated 7 quart--pretty big. Forgot to mention on the first go through I didn't have non-stick spray so I tried to brush olive oil onto the parchment paper. That... uh... didn't work. Used a boring canola non-stick second time and worked fine.

for dinner tonight beer battered cod baja tacos with radish,red cabbage,sweet cajun sauce and sour crema,and refried black beans and mexi rice. Im...stuffed

iblvN1zCZ1Qrur.jpg

Edit: Can anyone recommend a good simple photo hosting site that hosts pics and gifs? Apparently minus hates Neogaf arghh.

zbarron

Yeah, it's the CI recipe from their baking issue--same one. I have to say as someone used to significant kneading time I find it hard to not knead more...

It's the uncoated 7 quart--pretty big. Forgot to mention on the first go through I didn't have non-stick spray so I tried to brush olive oil onto the parchment paper. That... uh... didn't work. Used a boring canola non-stick second time and worked fine.
I never use anything more than parchment paper and it's always plenty non stick for me.
for dinner tonight beer battered cod baja tacos with radish,red cabbage,sweet cajun sauce and sour crema,and refried black beans and mexi rice. Im...stuffed

iblvN1zCZ1Qrur.jpg

Edit: Can anyone recommend a good simple photo hosting site that hosts pics and gifs? Apparently minus hates Neogaf arghh.
For simple I use http://abload.de/. It's in German but it's very easy. Just click the big Bildarchive button, then the Choose File button, after selecting the picture click Abload!

If you upload a lot of images though I recomend starting a Flickr account. It's simple to sign up and after you do uploading is faster than other places and you can do multiple files at once. They even have basic editing on the site if you don't already have software installed.

I made a batch of Chipotle style barbacoa last night. I don't have any pictures. I may whip up some tortillas and take one though.

Horse Detective's father is finally shipping up my Kitchenaid mixer. I've gone without it for almost a year now ;____;

We're also getting me a kitchen island so I can fully bake and make sweets at home since our studio has too small a counter space for me to work. I'm excited!

Also, I only have 7 weeks of school left. I graduate December 18th. I'm hopeful that Ill still be at Boka and can work my way into a pastry cook position. Im there every weekend and am doing a paid internship so I'm hopeful that after school, they'll offer me more opportunities within the restaurant. They might even let me revamp their coffee and espresso considering I have 4 years of craft coffee experience. :O

zbarron

Horse Detective's father is finally shipping up my Kitchenaid mixer. I've gone without it for almost a year now ;____;

We're also getting me a kitchen island so I can fully bake and make sweets at home since our studio has too small a counter space for me to work. I'm excited!

Also, I only have 7 weeks of school left. I graduate December 18th. I'm hopeful that Ill still be at Boka and can work my way into a pastry cook position. Im there every weekend and am doing a paid internship so I'm hopeful that after school, they'll offer me more opportunities within the restaurant. They might even let me revamp their coffee and espresso considering I have 4 years of craft coffee experience. :O

I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out of your kitchen and picking your brain when possible.

I just baked this. It's cooling now. It's the best color and micro blisters I've gotten yet but the bottom is as black as my soul.
22365803229_602d35eea5_b.jpg

22552602205_20869a1e15_b.jpg

I took the cast iron pizza pan I posted earlier and turned it upside down. I put the parchment paper with the loaf of bread on it and then put my 5 Quart dutch oven, minus the lid, upside down over it as the lid like a cloche. It worked really well. Transferring was so much easier than lowering it into a 500*F Dutch oven and trying not to ruin the dough or my hands. I don't know if I should try to use a higher rack or put more cast iron on the floor of my oven hoping it works as a heatsink/diffuser.

Edit: Loaf #2
22540481262_1dffd369b3_b.jpg

I took it out as soon as the bottom began to get too dark. Raising it higher in the oven definitely helped but it made transferring it in and out harder.

Transferring was so much easier than lowering it into a 500*F Dutch oven and trying not to ruin the dough or my hands. I don't know if I should try to use a higher rack or put more cast iron on the floor of my oven hoping it works as a heatsink/diffuser.

FWIW I haven't been heating the Dutch Oven during the preheat--the instructions in the CI book are ambiguous about this in my opinion, as opposed to the URL you mentioned above. I was also worried that would lead to intense burning on the bottom of the loaf from the contact heat through the parchment paper. Will try that next time, though, to see how it affects the results.

Next time will sadly be several weeks from now, though, we are remodeling the kitchen...

demo-before-small.png

demo-after-small.png

(Yes, that is faux brick vinyl underneath the pine. One of many layers of kitchen flooring...)

zbarron

FWIW I haven't been heating the Dutch Oven during the preheat--the instructions in the CI book are ambiguous about this in my opinion, as opposed to the URL you mentioned above. I was also worried that would lead to intense burning on the bottom of the loaf from the contact heat through the parchment paper. Will try that next time, though, to see how it affects the results.

Next time will sadly be several weeks from now, though, we are remodeling the kitchen...

(Yes, that is faux brick vinyl underneath the pine. One of many layers of kitchen flooring...)
These actually weren't no knead. I used this recipe: The Workhorse Loaf
It also calls for preheating the dutch oven. To be honest I've never tried not preheating it. I'll have to give that a shot sometime to see how much difference there is.

We moved about this time last year and there was a while where I couldn't cook. It was rough on me. Stay strong.

Zyzyxxz

If you are getting paid they probably want to hire you. I've rarely heard of paid internships but then again these days many kitchens are much more careful about how they deal with labor since they dont want to be caught breaking any labor laws.

Inspired by one of my favorite burger joints in town I made a PBJ burger tonight. Burger, Peanut Butter, Bacon, PepperJack Cheese, Raspberry jam and awesomeness in my stomach.

zbarron

I suck at planning ahead to have the day old rice but otherwise I love fried rice for fast and easy. I've done this a few times and it's great http://www.foodrepublic.com/recipes/roy-choi-ketchup-fried-rice-recipe/
I used to own a rice cooker which took 2 hours to make rice. Now that I no longer have it I just use the stovetop and it's done in about 20 minutes of mostly hands off time.

To be honest I forgot to cook the rice yesterday so I just threw it in this morning and gave it a few hours to chill in the fridge for lunch. It was still pretty good.

If this does become something I cook regularly I am thinking about cooking a big batch of rice and freezing it. Frozen rice, frozen veggies, oil, sauce and egg should make this something I could do in my sleep.

Also I've started using a squeeze bottle for the peanut oil I use. It makes my life so much easier.

thespot84

I used to own a rice cooker which took 2 hours to make rice. Now that I no longer have it I just use the stovetop and it's done in about 20 minutes of mostly hands off time.

To be honest I forgot to cook the rice yesterday so I just threw it in this morning and gave it a few hours to chill in the fridge for lunch. It was still pretty good.

If this does become something I cook regularly I am thinking about cooking a big batch of rice and freezing it. Frozen rice, frozen veggies, oil, sauce and egg should make this something I could do in my sleep.

Also I've started using a squeeze bottle for the peanut oil I use. It makes my life so much easier.

Squeeze bottles are the shit, especially for deglazing pans

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Hangover lunch this past sunday. Swedish traditional sandwhich on butter fried dark bread (kavring) with cheese, potatoes, hard boiled eggs, herring, chives and browned butter.

iSate6A.jpg

Fuck yes, my Whole Foods downtown is carrying fresh yuzu right now. I grabbed four today.

I think apart from fresh zest to add to the wow factor for my guests, I'm gonna save the skin/remove the pith and freeze it for future use.

That or I can reserve the pulp and skin and make infused rice vinegar. Ponzu is obviously a must, as well..

My favorite cocktail was a lemon drop an old bartender coworker of mine used to make, only it was a yuzu drop. Simple but clean as fuck.

kgtrep

A close friend of mine and his wife had their first baby, so I decided to make some sweets for them. (I'm pretty bad at desserts and don't usually make them.)

The first shows pear slices dipped in sugared water (with vanilla beans, cinnamon, cardamom, and anise), baked, and dipped in dark chocolate.

Sorry for the unappetizing photo, but they taste all right. They have to when they are covered in chocolate. I liked that they are still crunchy.

The second shows orange peels boiled in sugared water (same as above), cooled overnight, and dipped in dark chocolate. I really like these. The combination of sourness and sweetness is great.

Maiar_m

Guys I'm thinking of making individual salted caramel panna cotta pies for Christmas eve but I'm at a serious loss as to how I could plate them :/ What's your go-to solutions when platting individual desserts?

(As for the dessert itself I'm going for a thin salted butter shortbread crust, a layer of salted caramel panna cotta, a crispy ganache insert and a final, vanilla panna cotta layer. Any suggestion also welcomed)

Top Bottom