• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Guys I'm thinking of making individual salted caramel panna cotta pies for Christmas eve but I'm at a serious loss as to how I could plate them :/ What's your go-to solutions when platting individual desserts?

(As for the dessert itself I'm going for a thin salted butter shortbread crust, a layer of salted caramel panna cotta, a crispy ganache insert and a final, vanilla panna cotta layer. Any suggestion also welcomed)

No suggestions, but can I come? God damn that sounds delicious!

Recipe?

Maiar_m

How about individual ramekins?

They'll be served as individual pies, I don't think I'll need a ramekin (unless something goes very, very wrong :(...) It's more the surrounding plating area where I draw a blank :/

Dots of salted caramel and crunched crepes gavottes maybe ?

(that's crepe gavottes, I don't think we're exporting these yet)
3600_1.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
OH YES, France does export those indeed, I usually buy them by the tin ;)

I wouldn't crush them, plate with them intact, looks way better IMHO. As for the plating itself, some raspberry coulis would complement the flavors of that honestly impressive dessert quite well.

Maiar_m

OH YES, France does export those indeed, I usually buy them by the tin ;)

I wouldn't crush them, plate with them intact, looks way better IMHO. As for the plating itself, some raspberry coulis would complement the flavors of that honestly impressive dessert quite well.

Britanny, prime exporter of buttery delicacies everywhere :D

Thanks for the advice, I'll try to find a way. Raspberry's acidity could indeed balance a bit the sweetness of the caramel...

zbarron

That dessert sounds amazing. Sadly I have nothing to contribute there. Not my strongest area.

For lunch I whipped up some chicken fajitas.
22714159780_69c6b0d89c_b.jpg

Nothing quite like that sizzle.

Easy_G

Can I get some advice? Over the past couple of months I've been making bread using the Jim Lahey no-knead recipe that's all over the internet. I was getting better each weekend, but suddenly the past few weeks my bread doesn't seem to have the same oven spring that it used to. This is most notable in the lack of ears where I've scored the loaves.

The only difference in preparation between the two loaves below is that the first was final proofed for 2 hours in a wooden proofing bowl, where as the second was final proofed in a metal bowl with no top (I was sick of my dough sticking to the proofing bowl) for the same time.

Each loaf used yeast from different packets, both of which expire next year. I've had this issue of no rise several weeks now with different packets of yeast.

Any clue what it is that's changed to cause my problems? The flavor is still good, but the crust is not quite as crispy and delicious. I was thinking maybe the dough dried out more in the proofing bowl, but in the normal bowl it is staying too moist? Or maybe my yeast has gone bad?

Zyzyxxz

weather changes and flour can affect the dough.

Have you changed flour brands and is the flour you are using now significantly older? Also changes in weather will affect moisture in the air.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
as Zyzyxxz said, the ambient weather (hunidity, temperature, barometric pressure etc.) has a huge influence on yeast doughs. it goes as far as I can tell how the pizza dough at my local pizza place will come out depending on the weather that day.

Can I get some advice? Over the past couple of months I've been making bread using the Jim Lahey no-knead recipe that's all over the internet. I was getting better each weekend, but suddenly the past few weeks my bread doesn't seem to have the same oven spring that it used to. This is most notable in the lack of ears where I've scored the loaves.

The only difference in preparation between the two loaves below is that the first was final proofed for 2 hours in a wooden proofing bowl, where as the second was final proofed in a metal bowl with no top (I was sick of my dough sticking to the proofing bowl) for the same time.

Each loaf used yeast from different packets, both of which expire next year. I've had this issue of no rise several weeks now with different packets of yeast.

Any clue what it is that's changed to cause my problems? The flavor is still good, but the crust is not quite as crispy and delicious. I was thinking maybe the dough dried out more in the proofing bowl, but in the normal bowl it is staying too moist? Or maybe my yeast has gone bad?

I don't bake but iirc, wood is an insulator and metal is a conductor. If both are in the same environment, you can see how things could turn out differently. Even different colored metal pans can have an affect once in the oven.

Maiar_m

So, I made a test batch...

Shortbread pastry -
100gr sugar
170gr butter
170gr flour

Caramel panna cotta -
50gr sugar
25gr butter (salted) + fleur de sel
10cl crème fleurette
5cl milk
1 knife point agar-agar

Vanilla panna cotta -
50gr sugar
1 vanilla pod
10cl crème fleurette
5cl milk
1 knife point agar-agar

Chocolate ganache -
100gr milk chocolate
10cl heavy cream
Crunched gavottes

There's no special tour de main here, it's pretty simple. I made the pastry dough and the ganache yesterday evening so I could punch circles of ganache today. The agar-agar ensures the panna cotta sets very fast. All in all, it's a simple dessert to make.

I had prepared an apple juice jelly for platting, which looked horrible and tasted worst, so I'm really thinking it'll be a raspberry coulis instead, I just didn't have any there.

I'll also have to find something to replace the chocolate ganache with something else because its taste overpowers the panna cotta duo. I also have an issue with my pie dishes not being deep enough. Shortbread pastry dough does take quite some thickness...

What do you guys think?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Do you have any small pastry ring molds? I'd prefer just a thin layer of the shortbread on the bottom rather than a full tart crust so the panna cotta takes priority.

Maiar_m

Do you have any small pastry ring molds? I'd prefer just a thin layer of the shortbread on the bottom rather than a full tart crust so the panna cotta takes priority.

Unfortunately no :( But it's a good point indeed, I might try to track some down. Do you have some amazon favourites? :D

Shortbread pastry -
100gr sugar
170gr butter
170gr flour

Caramel panna cotta -
50gr sugar
10cl crème fleurette
5cl milk
1 knife point agar-agar

Vanilla panna cotta -
50gr sugar
1 vanilla pod
10cl crème fleurette
5cl milk
1 knife point agar-agar

Chocolate ganache -
100gr milk chocolate
10cl heavy cream
Crunched gavottes

There's no special tour de main here, it's pretty simple. I made the pastry dough and the ganache yesterday evening so I could punch circles of ganache today. The agar-agar ensures the panna cotta sets very fast. All in all, it's a simple dessert to make.

I had prepared an apple juice jelly for platting, which looked horrible and tasted worst, so I'm really thinking it'll be a raspberry coulis instead, I just didn't have any there.

I'll also have to find something to replace the chocolate ganache with something else because its taste overpowers the panna cotta duo. I also have an issue with my pie dishes not being deep enough. Shortbread pastry dough does take quite some thickness...

What do you guys think?

That looks great ! :O

Maiar_m

That looks great ! :O

That's very nice, thanks! It didn't taste as good as I had imagined though (tried a second one this evening, without the salted caramel sauce).

- I need a deeper mold / dish.
- I want this to be the kind of dessert you can have after a Christmas eve dinner, so the ratio light cream / heavy shortbread indeed needs to change, as Cosmic Bus said.
- The chocolate ganache is too heavy, and overcomes the panna cotta's taste. A thin layer of salted caramel coulis would probably be less out of place.
- Thin shortbread isn't crispy, it's chewy. If I find circle molds I'll probably try a streusel base instead - same buttery goodness, but much nicer texture.

I "invent" only one dessert a year and I find it so stressful :( I admire people who do this as a job.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So I just made Spaghetti Carbonara for the first time in my life.

yes. I had it for breakfast because it is 9:51 AM in germany. don't care it was de.li.ci.ous.
Breakfast of Champions! Thank you for sharing.

Shortbread pastry -
100gr sugar
170gr butter
170gr flour

Caramel panna cotta -
50gr sugar
10cl crème fleurette
5cl milk
1 knife point agar-agar

Vanilla panna cotta -
50gr sugar
1 vanilla pod
10cl crème fleurette
5cl milk
1 knife point agar-agar

Chocolate ganache -
100gr milk chocolate
10cl heavy cream
Crunched gavottes

What do you guys think?
I think I want three of it!
As for the ganache, you could try a dark/bittersweet chocolate instead of milk chocolate. And a Streusel base would be perfect.

Silkworm

Breakfast of Champions! Thank you for sharing.

I think I want three of it!
As for the ganache, you could try a dark/bittersweet chocolate instead of milk chocolate. And a Streusel base would be perfect.

Hmm, wouldn't a dark/bittersweet chocolate for the ganache make it even more overpowering than apparently the milk chocolate version was? Then again maybe I'm off on that line of thinking. You've got more experience at this sort of thing than I do, Onkel :)

How about in place of the ganache you could add another layer of flavored panna cotta? Say something like a coffee or espresso flavored panna cotta layer over the salted caramel layer? Then again maybe that's too assertive a flavor. If not that maybe it could be a layer of fruit flavored panna cotta? I wish you success, Maiar_m! I'm sure you'll find the answer. :)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
All is well :) no need to justify. I thought of the bittersweet chocolate for the Ganache because it's less sweet than whole milk chocolate and therefore a more interesting contrast of flavor.

zbarron

I made a slow cooked tomato sauce starting about 8:00 AM this morning and it was ready at about 4:00 PM.
22555150927_d46310c6af_b.jpg

It's really tasty and as you can see it made a ton. I will probably freeze some. Also in shot you can see my fancy ventilation system. We have a somewhat high window in the kitchen. Putting a window fan in and starting it before I cook really keeps the smoke at bay.

I was originally planning on just making a box of pasta with this but the sauce was so good it seemed a waste. I made the pizza dough recipe Van Winkle posted earlier in this thread and topped it with garlic butter and a cheddar mix and some parsley.
22960113352_9f33168895_b.jpg

I tried rolling it thin but it had a hell of an oven spring and came out thick but in a good way. It was almost like a loaf of bread. Very nice crumb.
22960187602_e5efc266de_b.jpg

(Oven Spring Shot)

ColdPizza

Banned
I recently bought a bottle of fish sauce because I like Asian cooking, so I was wondering if anyone had any good uses for it, as in a stir fry sauce, dipping sauces, etc?

Milchjon

I recently bought a bottle of fish sauce because I like Asian cooking, so I was wondering if anyone had any good uses for it, as in a stir fry sauce, dipping sauces, etc?

I use that shit in everything, even though I rarely cook Asian. If you don't overdo it, it's a great source of umami in many kinds of stew or sauce.

Milchjon

Yah, that's what I'm hoping...how much would you say you use in your application?

Dunno, I was never an exact cook. You'll get a feel for how much you can put in there before it actually tastes like fish. But you can add it gradually anyway.

Like Funky Papa, I use a lot of it in Chili.

ColdPizza

Banned
Dunno, I was never an exact cook. You'll get a feel for how much you can put in there before it actually tastes like fish. But you can add it gradually anyway.

Like Funky Papa, I use a lot of it in Chili.

Hah, that's okay. I'll start off with a teaspoon at a time.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Yeah, I do it gradually. Each dish calls for a different amount of sauce. The weird thing about fish sauce is that, despite its intense flavour, you can use generous amounts of it without fugging the end result. And if by any chance you think you went overboard with the sauce, letting the dish rest for a while can fix it.

Fish sauce also works impressibly well with vegetable fried rice of the non-Asian variety (just peas, cardoon, carrot, omelette bits and maybe some tiny shrimps/turkey). It amps its flavour like you can't imagine.

Maiar_m

Following up on my dessert idea:

Sorry for the potato cam, didn't have much time.

So, I bought pastry circles. I used the same shortbread dough, but in smaller quantities thanks to the circles vs the pie tins. The height also enables for more panna cotta, which is really great. The ratio is much better, but it should be like caramel:2 / vanilla:1 because salted caramel panna cotta is really awesome.

I didn't put any insert this time - I didn't have time for it. OnkelC - bittersweet chocolate would be my go-to as well if the panna cotta's taste wasn't so easily overpowered :( I'm considering thin slices of caramelized apples.

I'll need to be more careful with the way I set my circles to have clean round desserts, and the caramel coulis + dashes of raspberry sauce are still on the menu.

Still taking advice!

zbarron

That looks great.

Tonight I made a nice fall dinner.
22708308787_0a17b5619e_b.jpg

Clockwise we have a yam, stir fried green beans cooked in reduced bacon fat with the crisp bacon on top, sous vide chicken breast covered in chicken gravy and sour cream biscuits.

Subbed a while ago, finally made something worth posting.

22825893730_1ef0d8c25e_c.jpg

Had a hankering for ribs. Cooked in a crockpot and finished under the broiler with mashed potatoes (no milk or butter, just water and olive oil) and peppers/onions. Cornbread was storebought.

Following up on my dessert idea:

Sorry for the potato cam, didn't have much time.

So, I bought pastry circles. I used the same shortbread dough, but in smaller quantities thanks to the circles vs the pie tins. The height also enables for more panna cotta, which is really great. The ratio is much better, but it should be like caramel:2 / vanilla:1 because salted caramel panna cotta is really awesome.

I didn't put any insert this time - I didn't have time for it. OnkelC - bittersweet chocolate would be my go-to as well if the panna cotta's taste wasn't so easily overpowered :( I'm considering thin slices of caramelized apples.

I'll need to be more careful with the way I set my circles to have clean round desserts, and the caramel coulis + dashes of raspberry sauce are still on the menu.

Still taking advice!

If you are looking for chocolate to pair with a light panna cotta, you could try out Gianduja. It's really really delicious. Its chocolate that has 30% hazelnut paste within it. So its nutty, earthy, and not overpowering. We use it at Boka on our dessert with a malted creme fraiche ice cream and it pairs really well without shadowing the notes of the ice cream or its other elements. :) You could also check out Dulcey chocolate by Valrhona or something similar. That too is a light chocolate that pairs well with shortbread.

Maiar_m

If you are looking for chocolate to pair with a light panna cotta, you could try out Gianduja. It's really really delicious. Its chocolate that has 30% hazelnut paste within it. So its nutty, earthy, and not overpowering. We use it at Boka on our dessert with a malted creme fraiche ice cream and it pairs really well without shadowing the notes of the ice cream or its other elements. :) You could also check out Dulcey chocolate by Valrhona or something similar. That too is a light chocolate that pairs well with shortbread.

I regularly inject Gianduja into my veins. I could do it indeed, since for the 25th i'm doing a parliné ice cream cake, I could use some of the praliné paste to make praline chocolate, close enough to Giannduja IMO, and have it as a small insert. I could even leave some of the praliné in its granulated state into the paste, thus the insert would have some crunch... Mmh, thanks, I'll consider it!

Oh and those ribs look taaasty!

Milchjon

Since we were on the topic of fish sauce, is there a practical vegetarian/vegan alternative that I could use in south east asian salad dressings?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Help, IronGAF.

Have a dinner date lined up this week and on asking her my requisite "what don't you eat" question she said she is both gluten free and vegan.

This rules out pretty much everything I currently cook.

Any recommendations on tasty gluten free, vegan dishes? Does such a thing even exist? Maybe a roast sweet potato salad with pine nuts and cilantro or something?

Zaptruder

Banned
Help, IronGAF.

Have a dinner date lined up this week and on asking her my requisite "what don't you eat" question she said she is both gluten free and vegan.

Any recommendations on tasty gluten free, vegan dishes? Does such a thing even exist? Maybe a roast sweet potato salad with pine nuts and cilantro or something?

Get some beyond meat.

Maiar_m

Help, IronGAF.

As far as desserts go, you've got a whole range of milk substitutes ranging from coconut butter to oat milk, plus gluten-free flours (tricky, but manageable). Think rice krispies, vegan dark chocolate, or just a good old roasted pineapple (skewered with split vanilla pods) and you're in the clear.

For savory dishes, well... It's squash season, so that can help. Spaghetti squash with virgin oil and herbs dressing, served alongside a tian:

dc53402d-8f66-40fd-a6d0-4fc37774f3f8_normal.jpg

You can find a vegan, gluten free recipe for deep-fry batter and serve some deep-fried broccoli with a paprika hummous dip, too.

THEY'RE NORMAL PEOPLE.

Maiar_m

Not really an option being both based in NZ and now in need for tomorrow night :/

Thanks, Maiar_m. Will use the seeds of those ideas and see where I can go from there.

No worries. Checkout vegan falafel / meatball recipes too, it's very tasty and satisfying. If they're not gluten free, it's often because they use breadcrumbs which you can replace for gluten-free bread of crumbled popped rice crackers.

zbarron

Falafel, hummus, and pita can all be home made easily and are entirely vegan. There are a ton of gluten free pita recipes out there and they aren't that hard to find at the store if you don't want to make them. Add the fixins' and you have a nice Mediterranean meal.

You could go with Japanese cuisine. Make a meal of miso soup, a small salad with a sesame dressing, onigiri, teriyaki tofu, vegetable sushi rolls, a quick pickle, tempura veggies, and finish it off with some mochi. Serve with a nice Sencha.

There is a whole range of Indian vegan meals for obvious reasons.

I don't know how adventurous she is with food but I like to stick with meals that are meant to be vegan instead of converting ones that aren't.

Kenji goes Vegan every year for a month in February. There are a ton of awesome looking recipes on Serious Eats.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So I got off my ass and made a massive amount of lasagna following Matty Matheson's recipe for Munchies.

It required 1.8 kg of minced beef and over 1 kg of mozzarella. It may not be a looker, but it tasted like heaven. Few things beat the comfort factor of home cooked lasagna, but this one was off the charts.

Also, Matty Matheson is a goddamned liar. This lasagna won't get you laid. You will be way too full for that. Make sure that you get sexed up before eating.

yonder

Help, IronGAF.

http://minimalistbaker.com is great for vegan stuff, and a lot of it is gluten free or can be made so.

You could always make some corn tortillas with beans, salsa, guacamole etc.

zbarron

So I got off my ass and made a massive amount of lasagna following Matty Matheson's recipe for Munchies.

It required 1.8 kg of minced beef and over 1 kg of mozzarella. It may not be a looker, but it tasted like heaven. Few things beat the comfort factor of home cooked lasagna, but this one was off the charts.

Also, Matty Matheson is a goddamned liar. This lasagna won't get you laid. You will be way too full for that. Make sure that you get sexed up before eating.

Truthfully I've never made a lasagna before. I just got a yellow Fiestaware 9x13 dish as a gift so it'd be nice to make one. Would you recommend this recipe for a first timer?

Speaking of yellow I was going to make fried rice the other day so cooked my rice in advanced. The chinese take out place near me always has yellow rice in their fried rice so I decided to make mine yellow with a tiny pinch of tumeric. Here is the result.
22631377314_562b73a846_b.jpg

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Lasagna is basically foolproof. Go ahead and pork out. Just make sure to prep the vegetables before browning the meat unless you have another set of hands in the kitchen, otherwise you may find yourself swamped. At very least have them cut beforehand.

ColdPizza

Banned
Lasagna is basically foolproof. Go ahead and pork out. Just make sure to prep the vegetables before browning the meat unless you have another set of hands in the kitchen, otherwise you may find yourself swamped. At very least have them cut beforehand.

this is timely...been thinking of making some lasagna lately

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Help, IronGAF.

If I were in your situation, I'd ask her what kind of dish she would like.

Awesome Lasagna! And truth about the pre-intercourse food.

Truthfully I've never made a lasagna before. I just got a yellow Fiestaware 9x13 dish as a gift so it'd be nice to make one. Would you recommend this recipe for a first timer?
Lasagna is easy, make a Bolognese sauce and a Bechamel sauce (bottom layer should be Bolognese, top layer should be Bechamel, separated by lasagna leaves) , use Lasagna plates that need no preboiling and top it off with Mozzarella and, important, a dash of grated Parmesan. Pop it into the oven at 220-250 degrees Celsius and bake until the top gets brown.

Top Bottom