• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

If you want a more fermented taste and better gluten structure you'll want 2-5 days

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archiv...-long-should-i-let-my-dough-cold-ferment.html

Or you can just, y'know, add a percentage of poolish to the dough.

I mean, i don't doubt that the result would be nice, but i''d be lying if i said that i could taste the difference between a 3 hour dough with biga and a 2-4 day fridged dough.

Dough that i left (forgot) in the fridge for a whole damn week, however, did have quite a different taste.

But if it works, it works.

Zyzyxxz

Proofing for 2-3 days is bizarre, imo. Proofing in the fridge with dough should be 1-3 hours at most. Maybe even a day later depending on the quantity of dough. I've never worked with a dough that should be left in the fridge for a few days.

for pizza dough 24 hour proofing isnt uncommon in fact some of the top pizzerias do it. At cold temperatures I can't imagine much proofing be done with only 1-3 hrs but I'm not a baker so don't quote me.

for pizza dough 24 hour proofing isnt uncommon in fact some of the top pizzerias do it. At cold temperatures I can't imagine much proofing be done with only 1-3 hrs but I'm not a baker so don't quote me.

its depending on the dough. Pizza dough specifically would probably need a lot longer. 24 hours is about right but the recipe wants 2 to 5 days which is insane.

I don't see why 3-5 days is out of the question. I brew beer and know from experience if you try to force yeast to do its thing in a short time, you'll end up with beer, but also many undesirable characteristics. With beer in particular, even after fermentation is complete you need to allow time in an appropriate environment for yeast to "clean up" after fermentation is done. A lot of dough recipes say to proof for an hour or two in a warm place, then transfer to the fridge at least overnight so why not a few more days?

A few hours won't get you a bad dough, but I think in Kenji's (probably very limited) experiment, more days resulted in a better dough. In his opinion.

Seems like a fun and easy experiment to replicate at home... and you'll get a whole week of pizza!

ColdPizza

Banned
I don't see why 3-5 days is out of the question. I brew beer and know from experience if you try to force yeast to do its thing in a short time, you'll end up with beer, but also many undesirable characteristics. With beer in particular, even after fermentation is complete you need to allow time in an appropriate environment for yeast to "clean up" after fermentation is done. A lot of dough recipes say to proof for an hour or two in a warm place, then transfer to the fridge at least overnight so why not a few more days?

A few hours won't get you a bad dough, but I think in Kenji's (probably very limited) experiment, more days resulted in a better dough. In his opinion.

Seems like a fun and easy experiment to replicate at home... and you'll get a whole week of pizza!

I provided a link on the previous page that provides detail as to why 2-5 days could be beneficial. I guess no one wanted to read it.

It's not a necessary step for some people, but it could yield tasty results. It's the same mentality of "why should I sous vide a short rib over 48 hours when I can just braise it in 3?"

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Sorry to intrude but is there a CookingGAF OT I'm missing? I have a cooking question

Arkos

Sweet! Well here's my issue

Im trying to cook a big turkey leg and send it home with my friend. So it will need to be cooked, refrigerated, and heated up. I want the heating up to be as simple as possible for the recipient (like putting in the oven for a bit)

Im wondering about the best strategy to do this. The recipe may call for some grilling, I'm not sure. Do I cook it all the way? Is there any good way to do this? Anything I should definitely avoid doing? Etc.

luoapp

Im trying to cook a big turkey leg and send it home with my friend. So it will need to be cooked, refrigerated, and heated up. I want the heating up to be as simple as possible for the recipient (like putting in the oven for a bit)

Im wondering about the best strategy to do this. The recipe may call for some grilling, I'm not sure. Do I cook it all the way? Is there any good way to do this? Anything I should definitely avoid doing? Etc.

Cook it all the way, at least, he/she won't get food poisoning from it. Depends on how you cook the turkey leg, I will tell him to microwave throughoutly, then put on a hot pan with a little bit butter for extra flavor.

Zyzyxxz

Cook it all the way, at least, he/she won't get food poisoning from it. Depends on how you cook the turkey leg, I will tell him to microwave throughoutly, then put on a hot pan with a little bit butter for extra flavor.

yeah don't parcook unless it will be consumed the same day and even then you'd have to chill it down very fast and send it in a cold container to make sure nothing goes wrong.

I would just cook it all the way thru as said above.

How is the friend and the turkey leg traveling?

I've had family from the northwest bring me uncooked frozen seafood in a tape sealed cooler on their flight down to California. For cooked food, I'd say look into dry ice in a cooler, with your turkey leg in a sealed bag. Use a piece of cardboard to separate the two. I don't know what the rules are if your friend is flying back- look up airline rules and regulations regarding dry ice. If you can't use dry ice, try frozen gel packs.

Cook it thoroughly, cool and refrigerate the day before the trip back home. For re-heating, due to the bone , you have to make sure it warms up evenly without the meat drying out. Foil it if using an oven. In a microwave, cover with a slightly damp paper towel.

The Wall

Banned
I'm looking into working in the back kitchen somewhere, preferably as prep, helper, short order, etc.

For those of IronGAF that work in the culinary industry, what kind of place did you get started at before you had much professional experience?

jet1911

I'm looking into working in the back kitchen somewhere, preferably as prep, helper, short order, etc.

For those of IronGAF that work in the culinary industry, what kind of place did you get started at before you had much professional experience?

I went from a small, but very popular, italian restaurant to a retirement home to a 5 stars hotel. I've been working as a cook for almost 7 years now. I was mostly working as a prep for the banquets but there was an opening last year for a line cook in one of our restaurant and I got it. Love it, really fun but hard job.

Trying to improve the presentation of my plates, what do you guys think? It's a bistro style restaurant.

12395162_101539441198eks77.jpg

1414752_1015394411983tjsjs.jpg

12399244_101539441197h4s0m.jpg

The Wall

Banned
I went from a small, but very popular, italian restaurant to a retirement home to a 5 stars hotel. I've been working as a cook for almost 7 years now. I was mostly working as a prep for the banquets but there was an opening last year for a line cook in one of our restaurant and I got it. Love it, really fun but hard job.

Trying to improve the presentation of my plates, what do you guys think? It's a bistro style restaurant.

Much thanks! I actually like doing prep work so I'm hoping it will be a good choice once I get started somewhere.

Your plating also look great, btw.

I don't really feel there's more you could do with the given sample, except maybe add a little extra "plate paint" sauce underneath if it's something tasty?

So looking at all the pan pizza pictures posted recently got me wanting to make one.

I bought 2 packages of fresh pizza dough from Trader Joe's, both are 16oz.

I have a 10 inch cast iron skillet, how much dough should I put in the skillet? I saw someone used an 18" skillet and used a pound of dough, should I just use half the 16oz ball of dough per pizza?

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
So looking at all the pan pizza pictures posted recently got me wanting to make one.

I bought 2 packages of fresh pizza dough from Trader Joe's, both are 16oz.

I have a 10 inch cast iron skillet, how much dough should I put in the skillet? I saw someone used an 18" skillet and used a pound of dough, should I just use half the 16oz ball of dough per pizza?

I've only ever made the dough from scratch, and never thought to weigh it, but for this taste test (http://slice.seriouseats.com/archiv...-foods-diy-pizza-ingredients-with-recipe.html), he uses 11oz for a 10 inch pan. So i would say somewhere around there would probably be good.

I've only ever made the dough from scratch, and never thought to weigh it, but for this taste test (http://slice.seriouseats.com/archiv...-foods-diy-pizza-ingredients-with-recipe.html), he uses 11oz for a 10 inch pan. So i would say somewhere around there would probably be good.

So, what is the easiest way of doing this?

I figure grease up the skillet with some olive oil, and let it preheat in the oven at 450-ish.

Allow the dough to come up to room temperature for 20-30 minutes.

How much rolling should I do for a pan pizza? Or just drop the dough into the pan and just spread it out?

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
So, what is the easiest way of doing this?

I figure grease up the skillet with some olive oil, and let it preheat in the oven at 450-ish.

Allow the dough to come up to room temperature for 20-30 minutes.

How much rolling should I do for a pan pizza? Or just drop the dough into the pan and just spread it out?

This should help: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe.html

If using store bought dough, you can skip to step 4 (adjust for the fact that you are probably only making 1 pizza. All the directions/measurements are for making two 10" pies. As mentioned earlier, I would go with 1TB of oil as opposed to 2, unless you like smoke filling your kitchen)

Arkos

How is the friend and the turkey leg traveling?

I've had family from the northwest bring me uncooked frozen seafood in a tape sealed cooler on their flight down to California. For cooked food, I'd say look into dry ice in a cooler, with your turkey leg in a sealed bag. Use a piece of cardboard to separate the two. I don't know what the rules are if your friend is flying back- look up airline rules and regulations regarding dry ice. If you can't use dry ice, try frozen gel packs.

Cook it thoroughly, cool and refrigerate the day before the trip back home. For re-heating, due to the bone , you have to make sure it warms up evenly without the meat drying out. Foil it if using an oven. In a microwave, cover with a slightly damp paper towel.

So it sounds like I should go ahead and cook it all the way, maybe erring slightly under depending on how it's heated up. Any tips on the best way to maintain quality when heating it up? Basting it etc? Really long and slow or quickish? Oven rather than grill?

Samara

I'm doing the turkey this week.... I don't know what to do. I just don't want it crispy. Then stuffing. What have gotten myself into.

ColdPizza

Banned
Just made some creme fraiche for a horseradish creme sauce I'm going to make for my prime rib. I'm still really torn on using prepared horseradish or fresh horseradish root.

Edit: went with fresh. Figured if I went to the trouble to make my own creme fraiche I should just go all the way.

Hello Cookgaf, I want your input in this:

My job gave me a pork leg(I'm new here, but they supposedly give turkey or pork every year), that is great because well, I love free stuff that can be eaten, but I rarely cook pork, so what do I do with it? We have some restrictions:

-I want to cook it in a way that I can cut it and freeze in parts. We are only two adults in our house so eating 11-12 pounds of pork in one day is out of the question
-we want to cook it in a non-spicy way, we want to cook it in a way that can combine with lots of stuff(cutting in parts and reheating)
-Also, how long could it last post-cooking in the freezer?

Any suggestions?

Given its weight, i'm assuming that it's a hind leg?

You know what? I don't know, but I assume its some kind of boneless leg or something, the box just say "Pierna de Cerdo deshuezada al natural" wich kinda translates to natural boneless pork leg, that's why I used pork leg in my post

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
My family is in New York today but I was bored so I made a beef stew from scratch and roasted some Brussel's sprouts with bacon and red peppers.

The stew is a pretty traditional recipe but I added some beef short ribs to mix up the textures of the meat and let the rendered fat give the broth a silkier finish. I still have to add some beer to the stew to thin it out as the alcohol cooks off.

You know what? I don't know, but I assume its some kind of boneless leg or something, the box just say "Pierna de Cerdo deshuezada al natural" wich kinda translates to natural boneless pork leg, that's why I used pork leg in my post

Let us assume it is a hind leg, then. That's a ham.
Pick your poison.

If, however, you're like me and absolutely abhor the unholy combination of meats and absolutely anything sweet ever, i can vouch for this recipe. Just...skip the jam. Lemon and garlic go well with pretty much everything.

Your main concern with a large ham is not cooking it too much, which is a bit tricky since you've got to take it out of the oven before it is truly ready, given that it'll continue cooking for a while after removed. Otherwise the meat will be dry.

Skinless?

Let us assume it is a hind leg, then. That's a ham.
Pick your poison.

If, however, you're like me and absolutely abhor the unholy combination of meats and absolutely anything sweet ever, i can vouch for this recipe. Just...skip the jam. Lemon and garlic go well with pretty much everything.

Your main concern with a large ham is not cooking it too much, which is a bit tricky since you've got to take it out of the oven before it is truly ready, given that it'll continue cooking for a while after removed. Otherwise the meat will be dry.

Skinless?

Yeah, it seems that it's skinless.

If I make one of those recipes, can I put it in the freezer(in parts) and then reheat those parts when I want it? Because well, this thing is huuuge for two people(specially since my wife doesn't eat that much pork)

Or should I just say fuck it and carve it to pieces raw and use those parts individually?(to make pozole per example)

fake edit: that recipe with the lemon and the garlic, damn sounds delicious

Yeah, it seems that it's skinless.

If I make one of those recipes, can I put it in the freezer(in parts) and then reheat those parts when I want it? Because well, this thing is huuuge for two people(specially since my wife doesn't eat that much pork)

Or should I just say fuck it and carve it to pieces raw and use those parts individually?(to make pozole per example)

fake edit: that recipe with the lemon and the garlic, damn sounds delicious

How much do you like cooking? If you do enjoy trying out new methods/spices, fraction the cut (which should be easy, since it is already deboned and skinless) into 1kg pieces (again assuming a couple and overshooting it considerably. 600g should be plenty for two so you might wanna fraction it into smaller pieces), freeze the portions you do not intend to use right now, and go to town on whatever is left. If you're mad lazy, lemon & garlic is a pretty versatile combo and you can simply portion the leg after it has been cooked and freeze whatever you won't ingest in the next.... 4-5 days. Cooked pork with loads of lemon juice should last up to 7 days in the fridge, but tbh, anything past 5 is pushing it.

How much do you like cooking? If you do enjoy trying out new methods/spices, fraction the cut (which should be easy, since it is already deboned and skinless) into 1kg pieces (again assuming a couple and overshooting it considerably. 600g should be plenty for two so you might wanna fraction it into smaller pieces), freeze the portions you do not intend to use right now, and go to town on whatever is left. If you're mad lazy, lemon & garlic is a pretty versatile combo and you can simply portion the leg after it has been cooked and freeze whatever you won't ingest in the next.... 4-5 days. Cooked pork with loads of lemon juice should last up to 7 days in the fridge, but tbh, anything past 5 is pushing it.

I like cooking, in fact, the wife and I like cooking so yeah, cutting it up sounds like a better choice, that way we can make some traditional recipes(tamales, pozole) and try some others like the one with lemon and garlic. Thanks Coriolanus, I think that's what I'm gonna do

Had those damn salmon tortillas in my head ever since that pizza hut thread popped up, decided to have a go at it, having never cleaned a salmon or made tortillas before. Found a recipe that involved lard on the webs, resisted the urge to substitute for butter (which probably would've been fine, tbh), and off we went.

had to learn the hard way that if you overcook the tortillas they become too hard. ah well. Still the best cream cheese salmon i've ever eaten once combined with shoyu+lemon+wasabi dip.

(also really need to find out how to reduce saturation in the camera app)
now wondering why in blazes supermarket tortillas are so damn bland when all those things are is a bit of flour, water and fat.

Liljagare

You should try to make gravlax, its the best way to eat salmon.. :=) Serve with fresh taters and a mustard hof sauce.

My family is in New York today but I was bored so I made a beef stew from scratch and roasted some Brussel's sprouts with bacon and red peppers.

The stew is a pretty traditional recipe but I added some beef short ribs to mix up the textures of the meat and let the rendered fat give the broth a silkier finish. I still have to add some beer to the stew to thin it out as the alcohol cooks off.
The sprouts looked kinda soft, how long did you roast them?

I like mine al dente, charred to a crisp on the outside. I either deep fry them or saute them in a screaming hot pan with a generous amount of oil. Seasoning comes at the end, more of a dressing than seasoning really.

We have (almost) finished the kitchen remodel in our 200+ year old place (aka, why we didn't knock down a wall and make a 'modern' open space design), so we are now cooking again after a seven week hiatus. We have eaten a lot of cereal, burritos and takeout sushi in the last couple months.

Still to be done: new stainless backsplash, stainless around the vent, new cast iron grates in the floor, etc. Basically the metal shop guy is slow. Eesh.

kitchen-almost-1.jpeg

Inaugural dish, one of my wife's favorites for me to make her, a curry you've seen me post here before:

kitchen-almost-2.jpeg

Breaking the oven back in with a quick no-knead loaf:

omg-bread.jpeg

Man I have missed making bread.

Looking forward to ricotta fritters tomorrow.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
We have (almost) finished the kitchen remodel in our 200+ year old place (aka, why we didn't knock down a wall and make a 'modern' open space design), so we are now cooking again after a seven week hiatus. We have eaten a lot of cereal, burritos and takeout sushi in the last couple months.

Looks great. Seems like you have a lot of working space.

Also I don't eat chicken Mario but that looks very well put together. And my daughter wants to know if Santa already hit your place in NZ...

Just finishing up the family Christmas lunch now :)

Zyzyxxz

Nice, is that a Wolf range? Sweet stuff..

Wolf range (I should remove the badging, it looks so tacky), counter surface is soapstone. Still learning how it responds to things... it dents really easy which is expected, then you re-wax it with this walnut + carnauba which restores the color. And you can just sand it down if you want and rewax, too.

Fritters pre-cook:

IMG_4335.png

Frying them up:

IMG_4336.png

Awaiting consumption:

IMG_4337.png

Bonus roasted mushrooms with garlic, parsley, capers, and of course... butter.

IMG_4334.png

Sopped up all that gravy with another no-knead loaf I had made.

IMG_4338.png

Pretending I'm a short order cook for holiday breakfast:

IMG_4329.png

I love home fries:

IMG_4328.png

Sumidor

So I have like 20 lbs of chicken drumsticks to cook up, but I have no idea what to make. Anyone have some good and simple recipes? I know I'll make fried chicken with them, but I need something else to eat. Help me IronGAF!

Top Bottom