• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
raindoc, great setup and a creative side dish for a LAN party! :) appreciated.
ColdPizza, delicious! shame that blue cheese on burgers is still uncommon in this part of the world, those slices would be perfect (I like Castello cheeses a lot).
Funky Papa, great presentation! which panini press did you get?

Some random Lidl one. It was a total impulse purchase at €35. That place is my bane.

ColdPizza

Banned
Another meal from the long weekend, and my favorite...

If images are too big, let me know and I'll quote tag them....

So I made a citrus and achiote paste marinated pork shoulder...smoked for 5-6 hours with cherry wood.
LHOkbzS.png

Eventually foil wrapped with some Mexican beer (yah, I had a theme going!)
PpiaeJl.png

Shredded and mixed in with the beer and meat juices...
feZ2TcM.png

Served with all of my favorite condiments. The bowl all the way to the left was a citrus sauce made from: melted sugar, white wine vinegar, concentrated orange juice, fresh squeezed lime juice, garlic, achiote, and butter. Sweet and tangy is nice on pork.
D3pVFwj.png

I love to load up my tacos, as you can see. Made some yellow Spanish rice, and added scallion, pickled jalepeno, cilantro, extra sharp cheddar, and cotija cheese.
v6RcKjj.png

Leftovers have been amazing.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Made some pork ribs yesterday. A few weeks ago a buddy of mine made some chicken wings using Alton Brown's "Ring of Fire" chicken rub and they were outstanding. I thought the same rub would be good on some pork ribs, and boy was I right. I brined the ribs per the directions in that linked recipe.

Dry rub applied, about to go in the fridge for a couple hours:
G5iwHZb.jpg

After spending three hours at 300 degrees in my oven, heavily wrapped in foil:
7YFvdtG.jpg

Plated (also grilled some asparagus, and fried some fingerling potatoes in bacon fat with some garlic and parsley):
xHD7pj3.jpg

zbarron

Leftovers have been amazing.
Are you going to make cubanos with the leftovers, assuming you have enough left?
Made some pork ribs yesterday.
I also made pork ribs yesterday. I smoked some babybacks at 250.
27982053972_5b5cdfb264_b.jpg

I used three layers of rub. First is kosher salt and coarse black pepper. I put Weber Dry Smoking Rub over that and then a bit of Chicago style steak seasoning on top to give it a rough texture. This is the second time I did it. The first was with my brisket. Both times I put it on the meat the night before and wrapped in plastic wrap. Both times I got amazing bark. I think it's my go to rub method from now on.

We had family come over and my aunt who normally doesn't like ribs loved these and had several.

There's a Mexican/El Salvadoran restaurant near my house that makes fantastic burritos and pupusas. Today was the first time I've tried their tacos and they were pretty great.

RGp66Yk.jpg

From left: chicken, steak, and chorizo. Chorizo was my favorite, as is pretty much always the case.

That chorizo looks chunky and delicious! Chorizo is not always my favorite because i am very particular about it. And that one you got seems like it would satisfy my standards

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Is the Royale different from the quarter pounder?
https://youtu.be/6Pkq_eBHXJ4

Edit:
Actually, that question is quite interesting.
Since I cannot compare the actual sizes, I compared the nutritional values:

nutritional values Quarter Pounder / Royale with cheese
Calories 540 / 527
Total Fat 27g / 28g
Carbs 42g / 36g
Protein 31g / 32g
Sodium 1110mg / 2,60g

So, apart from the Quarter Pounder being being quite a lot saltier, they seem to be quite the same.

Source Quarter Pounder with cheese:
http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/food...sandwiches.7.quarter-pounder-with-cheese.html

Source Royale with cheese:
http://www.mcdonalds.de/produkte/produkt-profil?productName=hamburger_royal_mit_kase

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
ColdPizza inspired me. Made roast pork belly the night before last, ate half, then pulled the rest and marinaded it overnight in roast apple pulp, apple syrup, maple syrup, bourbon, garlic infused olive oil, and a little smokey hickory sauce. Then pan fried it last night for tacos as an after gym dinner for myself and friend.

I had legitimate Pastrami for the first time in my life today. As in, not the thin sliced deli cuts, but the grand thick slices-bordering-on-slabs of the stuff piled nicely with some melted provolone on marble rye with proper fatty ends that would not seem out of step with the finest of smoked Brisket.

This is the feeling of power....briny and savory, tender and unctuous power.

I had duck ramen last night at my absolute favorite ramen shop in Chicago.

Ive come to the realization that duck is superior to all meats. Its tender and beyond flavorful. Anyone know places you can nab it? Ive never seen it in grocery stores :(

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
My nearest Wegmans when I was in Rochester had whole ducks.

Best fowl no contest, and second only to lamb for me.

EDIT: I guess there are no Wegmans in Chicago...

Ive only seen jewel osco and marianos here but neither has duck. :(

Im hoping there is somewhere i dont know of that is a secret garden of random delicious proteins and such ;___;

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Since duck is a popular meat in Chinese cuisine maybe you could try an Chinese grocery?

snacknuts

we all knew her
I had duck ramen last night at my absolute favorite ramen shop in Chicago.

Ive come to the realization that duck is superior to all meats. Its tender and beyond flavorful. Anyone know places you can nab it? Ive never seen it in grocery stores :(

The international grocery near my house has ducks and pretty much all related parts. The last time I was there they had bags of duck tongues hanging up in the cooler.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I think most of the grocery stores I go to carry, at least, duck breasts. I should probably consider myself spoiled :)

Since duck is a popular meat in Chinese cuisine maybe you could try an Chinese grocery?

Thats a really great idea. There is a Korean market right down the street. I'm going to try to go there or China town on my next day off.

I'd love to make some pan-seared duck breast with cherries since they are in season right now :O

Has anybody screwed around with Emu and Ramen yet? You'd think it would have to stand a fighting chance at some sort of interesting something in the mix considering...

ColdPizza

Banned
Sometimes I impress myself with how lucky I get that I normally have a well stocked fridge. Found out I was out of blue cheese dressing but I had all of the ingredients to make my own from scratch.

Funny how that works out sometimes.

D-Pad

Well I used a box pancake mix, making sure to make the batter thinner than I would if I were cooking them on a skillet. I needed them to cook all the way through before burning and thought that would help. Seems to work!

Here's what I did, might be a recipe out there but I didn't even look for one.

I set the oven to 375°F, sprayed some cupcake pans.

Made up the pancake batter (again I went thinner than usual,) cooked the eggs and sausage.

once the oven was heated I poured a very thin layer of pancake mix at the bottom of the pans and baked for like two minutes. Just long enough to firm up the bottom and prevent the filing from sinking through.

Then I filled each cup with goodNess and poured more batter on top of each. The thinner the batter the less the rise so I filled mine to the top.

Baked for about... idk. Maybe 20 minutes? The edges looked to be turning golden brown. I buttered the tops, popped them back in for another 5 minutes, and then they were done!

Sorry, next time I will take better note of the cooking times lol. I'm happy yall were intrigued though.

Edit- for the fruit ones I just used chopped banana, strawberry, and blueberries instead of egg sausage and cheese.

le-seb

Crappy photo, as always, but I must tell you about this little wonder from the bread and pastry shop down here:
DSC_0039.JPG

Some biscuit, a thin layer of lemon cream, pistachio mousse and raspberries.
Absolutely fabulous.

Also made some beef rib last night:
DSC_0037.JPG

I fucked the cooking big time, it finished almost well done, but the beef was so good I almost didn't care.
The mojito is to blame, too:
DSC_0035.JPG

Seb, are you in France? I just spent two weeks in Paris and then up in Normandy and it seemed like mojitos were everywhere, which was very confusing to me, curious if it's a current "it" drink or what.

Also yes good French patisseries and boulangeries are not fucking around. I had breakfast at this shop in the 9th every morning and it did not disappoint.

Top Bottom