• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceres

Banned
I really need to remember to take photos.

Made Tex Mex lasagna tonight

Last few winners were Lamb with Pesto and Ravioli with Arugula, Tomatoes, and Pancetta. Latter was from a Giada At Home episode.

I am not really sure if this is the right place to post this but it seems to fit here better than being posted in a new thread on its own.

I am planning to start cooking but the problem is that I am not sure if I have most of the kitchen equipment needed for cooking, this is because I live with my father who, just like me, doesn't do a lot of cooking since most of what we eat is prepared frozen food or easy to prepare food.

Now what I would really appreciate from you guys is if you could help me with the kick start, which is providing me with a list of basic cooking equipment and kitchen necessities that I will need in order to start cooking, be specific and detailed please, pics would help me a lot since I live in Sweden and we have different names etc.. anything that may help is appreciated too.

If there are other member on GAF that are interested in starting the basics of cooking with me I would be more than happy to collaborate, and if this post picks up enough interest we can make our own late to the party basic cooking thread.

Thanks in advance.

Ceres

Banned
Assuming you at least have a basic set of pots & pans.

Mixing bowl(s)
Decent set of knives (one carving and one chef knife probably being the most critical if you don't want to buy an entire set in one go)
Mixing spoons
Spatula
Measuring cups
Colander
Peeler (the image is a very basic one but it's for peeling potatoes, carrots, etc)
Oven mitts
Cutting board

Honestly probably the most basic things you need and can get away with until you find a recipe that needs a specific item. You probably already have the majority of stuff around even if it's not used often.

Check out and channels that air cooking shows. In the US they have tons of shows that range from the very basic to the complicated stuff so just because one show scares you off doesn't mean they're all like that.

santouras

I recently (well a year ago now) moved into my own place and had to start from scratch in terms of utensils. This is what I bought when I did my first shop

spatula
soup ladle
whisk
spaghetti fork thingio
medium fry pan
small fry pan
two cutting boards
small saucepan
cooks knife
small knife
sifter

With that I was pretty much able to cook most of what I needed to. I found it easiest to get a small set like that and then add other things when I specifically needed them, like more pots, a bigger fry pan, good mixing bowls and the like.

Definitely just start small and when you need something for a recipe or want to experiment, buy that utensil. Don't think you have to get everything at once.

-edit- beaten by seconds! :)

Thanks for the help Ceres and santouras.

I seem to have most of the equipment ready in the kitchen, however I might need to renew some of it because they are not that great and I know that I get encouraged to take things more seriously when I have shiny new equipment, kind of like working out and have new cool sneakers and sporty outfits, in other words I have the attention span of a squirrel, I loose my interest in something very fast.

I have worked at a restaurant for a good while, not a real restaurant though, more like a pizza restaurant, so I know how to work fast and keep the place clean, however most of my work was around the salads, sauces, oven, I never touch the ingredients of the real meals.

I never got any help from the real chef for two reason, we didn't have enough time to work on teaching myself cooking due to the work pressure and because most of his meals didn't interest me, they were more like fast food meals, what really interests me is the kind of meals you guys post over here.

Cooking shows over here are not very helpful, at least in my case, because they always try to be unique in the sense that they provide receipts for very weird meals that I wouldn't even buy myself at a restaurant.

I don't want to interrupt your cooking thread any further, so I will leave you for now, will be back when I am fully ready and will ask you for some good delicious receipts for cooking beginners.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated. :)

Yes Boss!

Nizar,

I want to also mention that, regarding cookware, you really don't need a whole lot. Obviously if you are baking then your equipment list goes up considerably but as far as cookware goes I've found that usually you only need a few essential pieces (restaurant grade can be found cheap and it is durable with the essential heavy clad on the bottom):

4-quart saucepan with lid
8-quart stock pot with lid
4-quart sauce pan with lid
10" fry pan

Be sure that they have metal handles or a removable rubber handle and their utility becomes twice as strong because then they can be used in the oven.

Also,

Made some curd rice. It is soft-boiled basmati (ratio 1:3 instead of 1:2), mixed with a few cups of yogurt, fresh green chile, coriander leaves, salt and then all tempered with a ghee-defined tadka comprised of fresh grated ginger, red chile, mustard seed, cumin seed, hing, and about a tablespoon of raw urad dal and a flash-fried bunch of fresh curry leaves. A bit of heavy cream rounds out the dish to enrich it a bit. To be served at room temperature.

P1020013.jpg

Natetan

dont be too intimidated about cooking. i think the most important thing is to have curiousity and not being afraid to fail.

id say one of the best things to have in a kitchen is a knife that is sharp. pans with a non-stick coating are really helpful too. I forgot how difficult/frustating it is to cook without them until i tried using a straight steel pan to panfry some seabass recently.

and plus you've already worked in foodservice, so that's going to help you, more than you might think.

Yesboss, curd rice looks interesting! the ingredients all sound like something i would enjoy. i've not heard of it before

Wendo

Vasectomember
Hey, question for the cast-iron skillet fans:

I'm reading on the net that you shouldn't use oil before cooking because it'll just burn- but the "care instructions" on my Lodge Logic say that I should. I'm guessing that the re-oiling following the rinse/scrub is sufficient, and Lodge Logic is just covering their ass?

I'm having a hell of a time cooking anything in it with canola oil at medium heat without massive tufts of smoke filling up my poorly ventilated apartment. I guess I could just switch to walnut oil for everything, but that seems like overkill.

Yes Boss!

Wendo said:
Hey, question for the cast-iron skillet fans:

I'm reading on the net that you shouldn't use oil before cooking because it'll just burn- but the "care instructions" on my Lodge Logic say that I should. I'm guessing that the re-oiling following the rinse/scrub is sufficient, and Lodge Logic is just covering their ass?

I'm having a hell of a time cooking anything in it with canola oil at medium heat without massive tufts of smoke filling up my poorly ventilated apartment. I guess I could just switch to walnut oil for everything, but that seems like overkill.

Oil is OK to use before cooking...that is recommended. Just make sure that you let the empty pan come up to heat before adding oil. The residual oil should not smoke while cast is heating. Canola has a high enough smoking point that you shouldn't need to change to a nut oil. Sounds like it might not be properly seasoned. Did you buy pre-seasoned or did it start gray like this:

LOD5SK2.jpg

If it is still gray then you need to season it properly to seal everything. It won't be black, as that comes in time, but it will start to be brownish. It your oil is getting sticky/tacky it has not been properly seasoned. Here is one that is about ten years old...very little oil is needed and it functions as a type of non-stick surface.

P1020016.jpg

Wendo

Vasectomember
Nah, it's black and seasoned. It's a Lodge Logic, which I bought because Cooks Illustrated said it was a superior pre-seasoned skillet.

Maybe "smoke" isn't the right word, as that brings images to mind of black sooty stuff. This is just more of a grey residual cooking smokyish stuff. It probably just has to do more with my apartment's crappy ventilation. Still, if someone could give me some tips, that'd be much appreciated. I love cooking with it, but hate the fire alarms and smell of my apartment for days afterward (even with the windows open!).

It's just that that "Logic" coating sucks. It'll EVENTUALLY stop smoking and stinking on its own, and you'll eventually have a piece of cast iron that seasons in the usual cast-iron fashion. In the meantime, it is going to be somewhat smelly and smoky. The easiest thing to do is probably to look for an older pan at your local thrift stores or yard sales.

Otherwise, I would put the pan on an outdoor grill for a few hours, or as long as possible anyways. Go to a local park some weekend and have a cookout (beyond just burning the hell out of your pan) if you don't have a grill yourself. If you have a friend with a better stove hood than yours, baking it at high heat for a few hours would do the same thing.

After that, scour it down as much as you can with steel wool, wash WITH SOAP (since you're trying to get rid of as much of the existing seasoning as possible), and rinse very well with hot water several times. Finally, grease it and bake it in your oven in the usual "new cast iron" fashion.

DarwinMayflower

Neo Member
I did my first year of cooking school just recently. My menu project combined my new love of cooking with my old love of video games. Basically I created a menu with video games as the theme of the restaurant. I'm only going to show off the desserts since its probably the easiest to make at home as of now on a budget, but also because I'd rather not have my other ideas get stolen (much like how I borrowed ideas myself) off the web. Granted a lot of this seems more flash and puns than anything else, it does make me wonder if there is a big enough market to sustain a video game themed restaurant. Or if the respected video game companies will sue my ass to oblivion for using their trademarks. So here is the last page of my menu:

IMG_0369.jpg

and here is the first attempt at my Zelda Creme Brulee

IMG_0367.jpg

Yes that is supposed to be a chocolate pig on the whipped cream. Unfortunately I am strapped for ideas as to what to use to represent Zelda since we have Ganon as the chocolate piece, Link as the mint and perhaps a candied arrow for Zelda representing light arrows? In the end I`m hoping I`m able to get a custom made silicon mold of Ganon`s face from this picture:

ganon.jpg

Doytch

I've been messing around with different spice combinations on simple foods lately, just trying to get a better feel for what works. That said:

ccarver3: How do you usually season your scallops?
Ceres: How do you usually season your lamb?

:D

I've only tried scallops with s+p, and I can't remember what I put on the lamb off the top of my head.

Ferrio

Banned
DarwinMayflower said:
Yes that is supposed to be a chocolate pig on the whipped cream. Unfortunately I am strapped for ideas as to what to use to represent Zelda since we have Ganon as the chocolate piece, Link as the mint and perhaps a candied arrow for Zelda representing light arrows? In the end I`m hoping I`m able to get a custom made silicon mold of Ganon`s face from this picture:

How bout the master sword sticking into the creme brule'.

ccarver3

Doytch said:
ccarver3: How do you usually season your scallops?

A thousand different ways. For the recipe above I usually wrap them in prosciutto, drizzle them with olive oil and lemon juice then pop them in the oven. Cook at 350 until they're opaque.

I toss them with the pasta in place of the chicken.

Bok choy is just so good with scallops.

DarwinMayflower said:
and here is the first attempt at my Zelda Creme Brulee

IMG_0367.jpg

Aw, cute creme brulee! I love creme brulee and it's even better by the triforce.

Big B said:
Speaking of garlic, does anyone know a recipe where garlic is the main ingredient?

I just love it so much.. :D

Me too! For something simple, take a whole HEAD of garlic. Chop less than 1/4 off the top (pointy) part of the head. Drizzle on some olive oil. Stick it in a 375F oven and bake for 45 mins or until the inside is golden and browned. Squeeze the soft garlic out of the skin, spread on bread/crackers and eat.

Ceres

Banned
Doytch said:
Ceres: How do you usually season your lamb?

I don't usually cook lamb so I can't really help much. First time I've had it in years. For this particular recipe, just salt and pepper it before grilling as the pesto sauce is added after cooking (usually served on the side).

Zyzyxxz

Ceres said:
I don't usually cook lamb so I can't really help much. First time I've had it in years. For this particular recipe, just salt and pepper it before grilling as the pesto sauce is added after cooking (usually served on the side).

Cumin goes great with lamb, its one of those earthy spices that with just a dash a little goes a long way.

Anyway I need some help with my Lodge enamelware cast iron pan:

I've tried cooking eggs on it and they end up breaking apart, food tends to stick to the textured cooking surface.

Do the enamelware cast irons need to season like regular cast iron?

Wendo

Vasectomember
Zyzyxxz said:
Cumin goes great with lamb, its one of those earthy spices that with just a dash a little goes a long way.

Anyway I need some help with my Lodge enamelware cast iron pan:

I've tried cooking eggs on it and they end up breaking apart, food tends to stick to the textured cooking surface.

Do the enamelware cast irons need to season like regular cast iron?

Are you letting the food "release"?

Just picked up some Korean Chilli Paste that was mentioned a few pages back and some Soy Bean Paste going to have some fun with them over the next few days.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Zyzyxxz said:
please explain?

I believe he's referring to how meats and fish will often appear to be sticking, but you're often supposed to just let them be and they'll naturally "release" from the pan as they cook and caramelize.

Zyzyxxz

Cosmic Bus said:
I believe he's referring to how meats and fish will often appear to be sticking, but you're often supposed to just let them be and they'll naturally "release" from the pan as they cook and caramelized.

maybe thats what I'm doing wrong.

Makes sense.

Yes Boss!

Zyzyxxz said:
maybe thats what I'm doing wrong.

Makes sense.

Yeah, it is like cooking fresh fish on stainless...do not touch it until it becomes seared and naturally releases itself from the pan.

Cast iron enamel does not need to be seasoned...it has a glassy surface. The only problem is that the surface will eventually dull after use...not heirloom in the sense that it will eventually have to be replaced after ten to twenty years of use.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Another key factor when frying things in a pan is heat, or better the lack of it.

Even cast iron skillets do NOT, I repeat, NOT have to be used on max heat only for the whole cooking process. Most of the time, it's perfectly fine to heat a skillet to max for the initial searing, but then immediately turning down the heat to medium and commence the cooking process with that. When I make tenderloin steaks, I heat the pan to max, add some oil, put the cuts in the skillet, sear them from both sides and then remove the skillet from the stovetop completely, resulting in a nice and juicy english to medium steak.

It's better to take a bit more time at a lower temperature than to charcoal a dish.

Viewt

Hey IronGAF, I've got a question for those of you who have experience with woks.

So I'd like to start cooking with one, but I've got an electric stove, and I've read that woks are kind of ineffectual unless you're using a traditional or gas stove, and that the food doesn't really turn out the same. Is this true, or is it being blown out of proportion?

Many thanks.

Here's the Creamy Blackberry Pie I made last night (sorry for the camera phone pics). It was hella delicious.

2yxgmt5.jpg

I used:
3c. Blackberries
1c. Brown Sugar
1/3c. flour
1/8tsp. Salt
2 eggs, beaten
1/2c. sour cream
Pillsbury pie crust

Natetan

Yes Boss! said:
Yeah, it is like cooking fresh fish on stainless...do not touch it until it becomes seared and naturally releases itself from the pan .

gah, i wish i would have known this a few days ago. i made some fresh mish on stainless, and i kept 'touching' it. i made quite a mess.

i dont cook fish that often, and almost never use steel pans. good to know though

^ Nice pie! Did you make the crust yourself? Looks professional.

Viewt said:
Hey IronGAF, I've got a question for those of you who have experience with woks.

So I'd like to start cooking with one, but I've got an electric stove, and I've read that woks are kind of ineffectual unless you're using a traditional or gas stove, and that the food doesn't really turn out the same. Is this true, or is it being blown out of proportion?

Many thanks.

Hell, even most home gas stoves don't put out enough heat for real wok usage. We have a super burner on our stove and it's *still* not enough heat for me, lol. It *is* possible to use a wok with an electric stove, but it just takes a long time for the wok to come up to heat and you probably won't get the same wok qi taste you'd get from a restaurant with some crazy burner.

On that note, make sure you get a flat-bottomed wok for the electric stove if you have coils on the stove or anything flat. That way, the wok sits better on the stove and gets the maximum contact area with the heating element.

Yes Boss!

I made some Kadhi Pokara.

It is deep-fried dumplings comprised of besan (chickpea flour), butermilk, onion, potato, chile, coriander, cumin simmered in a buttermilk/besan curry. I like my gravy thick but usually it is slightly thinner. I usually make this with yogurt and water so the buttermilk was new for me. Very hearty despite the lack of meat.

Dish:

P1020042.jpg

Ingredients:

P1020041.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Viewt said:

Many thanks.

nakedsushi said:
^ Nice pie! Did you make the crust yourself? Looks professional.

Hell, even most home gas stoves don't put out enough heat for real wok usage. We have a super burner on our stove and it's *still* not enough heat for me, lol. It *is* possible to use a wok with an electric stove, but it just takes a long time for the wok to come up to heat and you probably won't get the same wok qi taste you'd get from a restaurant with some crazy burner.

On that note, make sure you get a flat-bottomed wok for the electric stove if you have coils on the stove or anything flat. That way, the wok sits better on the stove and gets the maximum contact area with the heating element.

Yup pretty much this, my strongest burner at my house isn't even good enough. When I do redesign my kitchen I'm pretty sure I'll get a burner that outputs around 20,000 BTU's

OnkelC said:
Another key factor when frying things in a pan is heat, or better the lack of it.

Even cast iron skillets do NOT, I repeat, NOT have to be used on max heat only for the whole cooking process. Most of the time, it's perfectly fine to heat a skillet to max for the initial searing, but then immediately turning down the heat to medium and commence the cooking process with that. When I make tenderloin steaks, I heat the pan to max, add some oil, put the cuts in the skillet, sear them from both sides and then remove the skillet from the stovetop completely, resulting in a nice and juicy english to medium steak.

It's better to take a bit more time at a lower temperature than to charcoal a dish.

Thanks for the tip!

Yes Boss!

I had fun making ice cream a few weeks back so I made another batch.

This one is Earl Grey tea flavored. Just Earl Grey, a smidge of vanilla, and some expired tea leave mixed in (think vanilla bean effect). A heavily infused orange syrup tops the lid with ground raw cashews. Candied orange garnish on top, entirely edible.

P1020053.jpg

Undeux

Yes Boss! said:
I had fun making ice cream a few weeks back so I made another batch.

That looks awesome. How difficult is it to make ice cream? I'd always been under the apparently incorrect assumption that you need some kind of ice cream maker, so I never even thought of trying.

Yes Boss!

Undeux said:
That looks awesome. How difficult is it to make ice cream? I'd always been under the apparently incorrect assumption that you need some kind of ice cream maker, so I never even thought of trying.

Yeah,

You need a maker. Modern versions use a deep freezing gel-filled container so you no longer have to worry about ice and salt. Other than that it is very easy...just bring cream and milk (50-50) up to boil and slowly stir in a whipped egg yolks and sugar mixture...let cool and then throw in the maker for thirty minutes...then let set up in the freezer for a few hours..

Undeux

Yes Boss! said:
Yeah,

You need a maker. Modern versions use a deep freezing gel-filled container so you no longer have to worry about ice and salt. Other than that it is very easy...just bring cream and milk (50-50) up to boil and slowly stir in a whipped egg yolks and sugar mixture...let cool and then throw in the maker for thirty minutes...then let set up in the freezer for a few hours..

Good to know. I've always been kind of interested in trying that out.

Yes Boss!

Yeah,

I'm not usually one for appliances in my kitchen (other than a food pro, blender and Kitchen Aid) but I do have an ice cream maker tucked away for holidays and stuff. Fairly inexpensive at about $30-$50.

Yes Boss!

Cosmic Bus said:
You can certainly make ice cream without a machine, it just takes longer and some attentiveness: David Lebovitz explains how.

Wow, old school! Interesting that that works but makes sense since you are increasing the surface area and just doing what a machine would do, but over a few hours. Kinda like a commercial ice maker does by building up layers slowly (but still at a much faster rate than just freezing out-right).

Yes Boss!

Crazy,

I just got a new Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker in and the thing is a whisper quiet beast. Barely had to use any heat and ten minutes later my beans were done. I haven't seen a pressure cooker in a few decades but it is incredible what they have become.

nakedsushi said:
What's that round thing on a pizza? Meatball? Olive?

Ha, I wondered if someone would ask. It's jsut an olive but I think it got a little bit of crumbled Feta on it that made it look weird.

Here's a dough recipe if anyone needs one.

500gm Flour (if you can get Tipo 00 all the better)
250ml Water minus 2tsp worth
7gm Yeast
Pinch of Sugar
Larger pinch of Salt
2tsp of Olive Oil

http://www.foodology.co.nz/2009/08/pizza-2/

So I'm really bad at baking; probably because I like to cook with a pinch of this and that instead of exact measurements, but decided I should round out my cookery.

So started last night making some German Breakfast Bread. I learned two things, I need to learn how to form a loaf, and bran is really hard to work with. Unfortunately my grocery store did not have Spelt flour and Spelt Granola so I had to substitute.

3843457646_05df970dbd.jpg

So two loafs; only one loaf pan ;P Inside is Black Currants and Dried Mango. Glazed the top with some Honey.

Bread is super duper duper dense lol. In a way it's probably good because I am taking this one on long cycling trips.

3843463954_0f7f4333a1.jpg

After firing the loaves I had found this book Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day and lifted this recipe from it.

3843464398_356ce26d57.jpg

Made 3 loafs and experimented with some slashing of the bread! I want to find a brotform for the next batch.

3843461242_a75c949506.jpg

The Best of the Three

3842703119_781d45d9bc.jpg

Fresh Bread with my Potato and Leek Soup

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
wanted to share this picture from SAVEUR, as i don't think the majestic, simple beauty of a piece of toast has ever been captured in such a way:

2cxu7lv.jpg

Truant

silentgiant said:
So I'm really bad at baking; probably because I like to cook with a pinch of this and that instead of exact measurements, but decided I should round out my cookery.

So started last night making some German Breakfast Bread. I learned two things, I need to learn how to form a loaf, and bran is really hard to work with. Unfortunately my grocery store did not have Spelt flour and Spelt Granola so I had to substitute.

So two loafs; only one loaf pan ;P Inside is Black Currants and Dried Mango. Glazed the top with some Honey.

Bread is super duper duper dense lol. In a way it's probably good because I am taking this one on long cycling trips.

After firing the loaves I had found this book Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day and lifted this recipe from it.

Made 3 loafs and experimented with some slashing of the bread! I want to find a brotform for the next batch.

The Best of the Three

Fresh Bread with my Potato and Leek Soup

Looks great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom