• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Made some Pan Seared Scallops last night.

I was always afraid of cooking them because of Gordon Ramsey screaming at people.

Turned out to be super easy and now the girlfriend thinks I'm some kind of master chef :lol

Just melted some butter, let it brown in the pan, then seared them for about 2 minutes per side (they were jumbo scallops) and that was that.

Made a pesto sauce to go with them and it worked really well (1 cup cilantro, 1/2 cup of olive oil, 2 garlic cloves, salt pepper and a tsp of lemon zest all in a processor).

StoOgE

Maklershed said:
You must be terrified of risotto then.

I am actually.

I may try it but a lot of the recipes call for wine and I need to cook halaal food when her roomies are eating with us which is fairly often.

ShinAmano

StoOgE said:
There is something very very wrong about using a Central Texas BBQ sauce to slather ribs in while they are cooking.
Damn...called out on the sauce...it was what I had...outside of something from the outer banks...Habenero BBQ from Chili Peppers.

rezuth

StoOgE said:
I am actually.

I may try it but a lot of the recipes call for wine and I need to cook halaal food when her roomies are eating with us which is fairly often.
WHERE IS MY FUCKING BEEF WELLINGTON?! :)

StoOgE

ShinAmano said:
Damn...called out on the sauce...it was what I had...outside of something from the outer banks...Habenero BBQ from Chili Peppers.

No, it's a fine sauce. It's just that Stubbs is from Austin and everything is cooked in a dry rub in this part of the world. Putting sauce on BBQ after it is cooked is questionable enough, putting on during cooking will get you some really dirty looks.

ShinAmano

StoOgE said:
No, it's a fine sauce. It's just that Stubbs is from Austin and everything is cooked in a dry rub in this part of the world. Putting sauce on BBQ after it is cooked is questionable enough, putting on during cooking will get you some really dirty looks.
Hmm...that said I may have to try sans the sauce next time.

StoOgE said:
But that's real BBQ where the meat's taking on flavor from the smoke. Totally different from doing ribs in the oven where it makes perfect sense to slather them in sauce.

ShinAmano

slidewinder said:
But that's real BBQ where the meat's taking on flavor from the smoke. Totally different from doing ribs in the oven where it makes perfect sense to slather them in sauce.
These were smoked ribs over the grill. I used a rub...smoked for about 4 hours and then finished the cook with about 45 minutes with a sauce on them. This was my first attempt at Ribs...I have made a ton of BBQ though.

New Year's Eve Cookery Course

The following pics are from the second part of the cookery course I was taking. I can't remember the exact amount of courses cause I lost my menu and I was also drunk as fuck. so, ... sorry :/

N4WiO.jpg

ycsZm.jpg

lLsHy.jpg

M8g5P.jpg

BR5S8.jpg

3EHcs.jpg

o3gI9.jpg

VCqjd.jpg

6XKfn.jpg

JmsJT.jpg

knOcJ.jpg

BP4Bq.jpg

OJLfC.jpg

Chili pheasant breast with asian cooked vegetables
PVlEC.jpg

Lamb with baby potatoes and bean-pods tossed in butter with bacon bits
j1kry.jpg

Argentine beefsteak and styrian organic pork chop served with Brussel sprouts, japanese mushrooms and risotto.
Q5gAS.jpg

and last but not least:
Roast wild boar(the join) in a redwine/mustard/soya-sauce served with cold pickeld lentils
bf2QB.jpg

uMDxU.jpg

mellowyellowod said:
looks amazing. Is that just like a cooking class anyone can sign up for? Are they normally for experienced cooks?

We asked the owner(and chef) of our local restaurant if he would organize a cooking course for me and some friends. well, he agreed. You should be, at least, a little experienced with the essentials of cooking.

GiJoccin

I'm going on a ski trip with 30 people, and I offered to help out with the cooking. I'm trying to think of any good ideas for tasty dishes that wouldn't involve spending all day in the kitchen (I'll be skiing). Any ideas off the top of your heads? 30 people is a lot...

Hell yes, I didn't have the money to get it today since there are other things, BUT I actually found a nice looking package of Capicola---looked to be very well seasoned and I would imagine is great with....most things?

Also found some Aged Diced Prosciutto, various Dry Salame offerings, another thing similar to the above whose name I forget but I didn't recognize at all---I dunno why the run down old Kroger around here is stocked with this stuff amidst all their general junk but I don't care!

GiJoccin said:
I'm going on a ski trip with 30 people, and I offered to help out with the cooking. I'm trying to think of any good ideas for tasty dishes that wouldn't involve spending all day in the kitchen (I'll be skiing). Any ideas off the top of your heads? 30 people is a lot...

Bring one or two slow-cookers and do lots of stews! Chile's easy to make in it. Serve it over rice. Bring a rice-cooker if you have it. Corn beef stew is also easy in the slow cooker.

Basically, stick everything in the slow cooker in the morning, go skiiing, come back in the afternoon, give it a stir and season it to taste.

Ramma2

I call this masterpiece the Duke of Sandwich(es). Takes the timeless classic of a PB&J to a whole new level.

Our canvas, paints and brush for this work of art:

Pic1.JPG

Make sure to get a nice even coat of jelly. We're shooting for 90-95% surface coverage, and keeping it a consistent thickness helps with presentation and ensures that flavor will maintain to the last bite.

Pic2.JPG

Preparing our secret weapon:

Pic3.JPG

We're going to peanut butter BOTH sides of our core. Again the more coverage the better. Also note how this middle slice of bread is smaller than our base; the toasting process draws out the moisture of the bread which is beneficial to us in two ways. First, it helps our core to fit perfectly within the confines of the outer layers. Second, the lack of moisture helps the core to retain the crunch from the time of plating to when the Duke is served. The crunch is essential!

Pic4.JPG

And here's our finished product. A sharp chef's knife will guarantee a clean line and push your presentation to the top. Best served with milk, chilled. I recommend a 2011 vintage for best pairing.

Pic5.JPG

The warm core gives the entire sandwich a smooth and satisfying crunch, and having double layers of toppings plus a third slice of bread elevates the Duke beyond a simple sandwich needing sides to be a complete meal, to being a feast fit for royalty.

Ramma2

Not jam, correct. Jam is that nasty stuff with seeds and the like.

Also, you can't have ice cold milk unless you either keep your milk in the freezer or put ice in it. If you drink it fast enough you get the coldness of the ice with none of dilution.

Ramma2 said:
Not jam, correct. Jam is that nasty stuff with seeds and the like.

Also, you can't have ice cold milk unless you either keep your milk in the freezer or put ice in it. If you drink it fast enough you get the coldness of the ice with none of dilution.

But it waters down the milk no?

D-Pad

MagicJackBauer said:
But it waters down the milk no?

If you drink it fast enough you get the coldness of the ice with none of dilution.
:p

I don't drink milk anymore, but when I did, I would never drink it without ice. Also, the ice had to go in first, or else it would taste funny. At least it did for me. You know how one parent always did something better than the other? The milk my dad brought me at bedtime always tasted old, because he did milk, then ice. The milk my mother brought me was always crisp and cold and awesome because she did it ice, then milk. There's probably a simple explanation (whenever I asked dad the milk was going bad, etc) but that stayed with me up until I switched to soy.

And Mayfield is nasty as hell.

Bananas and cinnamon-raisin bread would've done wonders to that sandwich. Had it first in fourth grade learning about the layers of the earth. My teacher made little pb&js with the addition of banana and a layer of raisin bread in between. Still my favorite class demonstration to this day. XD

Oh and honey.

Zyzyxxz

Someone mentioned liver earlier and I cooked some by coincidence a few days ago as well.

I had a yakitori night at my house. Skewers of chicken thighs, chicken liver, ground chicken, and pork belly.

raw
5386995982_ce7e12f535_b.jpg

5386391237_88b1cb1dca_b.jpg

cooked
5386996150_1a1a4c0660_b.jpg

5386995892_c78d1654c3_b.jpg

hiro4

Zyzyxxz said:
Someone mentioned liver earlier and I cooked some by coincidence a few days ago as well.

I had a yakitori night at my house. Skewers of chicken thighs, chicken liver, ground chicken, and pork belly.

raw
*snip pics*

Looks awesome!
Now I want some.

Maybe I should have taken pics of the Gyoza and the Japanese Croquettes I made last weekend.
Didn't turn out as I hoped, but as it was the first time I was happy with it. Also the taste was spot on.

Zyzyxxz

hiro4 said:
Looks awesome!
Now I want some.

Maybe I should have taken pics of the Gyoza and the Japanese Croquettes I made last weekend.
Didn't turn out as I hoped, but as it was the first time I was happy with it. Also the taste was spot on.

First time I made tonkatsu the pork chop was dry and overcooked and the coating feel off within seconds of taking it out of the fryer. Now I'm confident I can make it better than most restaurants, although I am in pursuit of a perfect tonkatsu for career reasons. Still practice makes perfect and croquettes are the ultimate party food where alcohol is served.

MrBig

So here's the Real Man's version of Ramma2's sammich.
IMG_7614sammich.jpg

Homemade honey maple bread, natural peanut butter, and JAM.
thank you for this amazing piece of awesomeness

Those PBJs need some BANANA! That counts as a serving as fruit =)

Last night, I made tempura.

Had a guest over for dinner tonight. The BF made most of this. I made the tomato and egg:

Zyzyxxz

Your post always remind me that I need to start eating better which is hard when I'm always experiment with stuff for work which tends to be ultra salty and fatty.

My nephew's bday is sunday and I'm planning on hosting a small party of about 15 people or so. He loves mac and cheese so I was testing a recipe today (Alton Brown, although I do hate him just to make it clear).

5392585322_ecd8ab2359_b.jpg

5391986139_0d5e70a16e_b.jpg

I actually didnt have enough cheese for the recipe so the bechamel sauce came out too milky, but it was still good. I'll stick with it for now but replace milk with heavy cream and use a higher quality cheddar for the final one.

thespot84

Zyzyxxz said:
y (Alton Brown, although I do hate him just to make it clear)

I don't get the alton brown hate. The man reinvented the cooking show, making it cheesy yet strangely watchable. The nerd in me loves the science the science nuggets too.

Zyzyxxz said:
Your post always remind me that I need to start eating better which is hard when I'm always experiment with stuff for work which tends to be ultra salty and fatty.

Heh, if you call deep fried and battered vegetables "eating better" =)

Baked mac and cheese looks great! You can try sneaking small chopped up cauliflower in it. That's what I usually do when I make mac and cheese.

Oh yeah, which roasting pan is that?

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
Heh, if you call deep fried and battered vegetables "eating better" =)

Baked mac and cheese looks great! You can try sneaking small chopped up cauliflower in it. That's what I usually do when I make mac and cheese.

Oh yeah, which roasting pan is that?

Ikea, it was only $12 or something, great value for something pretty durable and the size makes it good for roasting small things and easy to deglaze with it as well.

thespot84 said:
I don't get the alton brown hate. The man reinvented the cooking show, making it cheesy yet strangely watchable. The nerd in me loves the science the science nuggets too.

I like his show for information and I do like that he has taken up good causes such as sustainable fish eating but the way his show is presented make me feel so patronized.

I know food network is aimed at people who can't cook but still, I can't stand the production and cheesiness sometimes. I'm already a food nerd so thats probably why I only find his show partially informative.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Alton Brown is the Bill Nye of the cooking world, and I love his shows. His show books are great too.

Can anyone suggest some dinners I can make during the week that are cheap, healthy, and fairly easy? I always seem to stick to pasta one night, tacos (turkey meat, spinach, brown rice) another, and some form of egg or tuna sandwiches. It is getting kind of boring. :)

thespot84

Deadly Cyclone said:
Alton Brown is the Bill Nye of the cooking world, and I love his shows. His show books are great too.

Can anyone suggest some dinners I can make during the week that are cheap, healthy, and fairly easy? I always seem to stick to pasta one night, tacos (turkey meat, spinach, brown rice) another, and some form of egg or tuna sandwiches. It is getting kind of boring. :)

http://www.notakeout.com/

trilobyte

I think I finally settled on a great homemade vegetarian sausage recipe. It's a lot of work, but man it taste so good. I prepared veggie-dogs last night :)

48nsx7a

Yes, that has no meat! :D

jet1911

Cheesecake. Overcooked a bit lol.

rS6AK.jpg

Sugar pie

gKq2D.jpg

XUt2X.jpg

And something I really wanted for a long time, fresh pasta! I had a great deal for the pasta machine (40$). I made some noob mistakes though. My dough was too moist but it still came out pretty good I think.

Jyrsl.jpg

Ehfbk.jpg

38Blp.jpg

6QbHO.jpg

hsaLc.jpg

5zOj5.jpg

rykomatsu

Zyzyxxz said:
First time I made tonkatsu the pork chop was dry and overcooked and the coating feel off within seconds of taking it out of the fryer. Now I'm confident I can make it better than most restaurants, although I am in pursuit of a perfect tonkatsu for career reasons. Still practice makes perfect and croquettes are the ultimate party food where alcohol is served.
Sound...the crackling from frying will change subtly once it's ready. Very similar with tempura.

Brunch

l0neG.jpg

Toast
Veggie Patty
Fried Egg on Top
Grilled Onions on Top
Sriracha sauce
Some Herbs

Shitty paper plate
Shitty iPhone Pic

Surprisingly good.

Axion22 said:
Roasted chicken thighs, carrots, potatoes.

Super easy & cheap ingredients. pic click goes to recipe.

Nice, will definitely have to try this out.

Made Tandoori Chicken Thigh myself yesterday, was baked nicely. No pics though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom