• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lamb:

t5Y8W.jpg

First time paying attention to pan sauce, looks like it turned out fine. Was not really sure when to take it off the heat.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Looks very nice. What's the vegetable and how's the doneness?

Sauteed Onions (with some garlic and scallions).

Lamb was right around Medium-Rare, pink on the inside. The chops were around 2 inch thick, I seared each flat side for 5 minutes, then the 3 vertical sides for around 30-45 seconds each to brown them and finished in the oven at 400 for 6 minutes or so.

It was quite good, but I should find a better cut of lamb. This was a bit difficult to eat. Local grocery stores ain't got anything else though.

DSlNt.jpg

Utterly late to the doings, but here's Feta with some drips of Sriracha and New York Style Risotto Chips Spicy Marinara for the crumble.

Feta....is rather bland/meh----not a bad cheese, but definitely lacks an excitement factor.

Zyzyxxz

For a pizza I find feta difficult to use. It doesn't melt well but rather crumbles nicely.

The only application I've seen feta used is at California Pizza Kitchen on their "Greek" pizza which is basically just a mediterranean salad on top.

I finished my 2nd cookery course on new year's eve.
I thought I'd share some impressions from this course and the last one. sorry for the low quality cellphone pics. the better ones are from the chef himself, taken with a camera

Cookery Course Part 1 (Surf & Turf)

T7G5u.jpg

9AI7A.jpg

ZStSy.jpg

dTHth.jpg

VHO4c.jpg

p6m5k.jpg

3PNFw.jpg

KdmUG.jpg

WPXgW.jpg

appetizer: Pinapple with a scallop and salmon caviar
UcKP4.jpg

2nd course: Lobstersoup with chili-chicken (no pic)

3rd course: Tunaburger in sesame-sauce with leaf salat in raspberry sauce
PWkJs.jpg

vrJ9p.jpg

4th course: Styrian-beef Steak and Lobstertail with baconwrapped string beans and stuffed potato
AnOdX.jpg

5th course: coconut-rice ball on a lake of mango-strawberry with chocolate-chili chips
dkk94.jpg

Pics of this years cookery course("Meat. tons of meat") following soon. I have to sort out some pics first.

Zyzyxxz said:
For a pizza I find feta difficult to use. It doesn't melt well but rather crumbles nicely.

The only application I've seen feta used is at California Pizza Kitchen on their "Greek" pizza which is basically just a mediterranean salad on top.

Yeah, generally I've encountered it in Calzones. For my part, it isn't the anti-melt nature that really works against it...as there are ways around that experience-wise in terms of how you arrange each clump/portion. It is somewhat useful even on the front of it being overly stubborn to brown/burn, as the Paneer is comparable on the anti-melt front but can brown out of control perhaps if left unchecked.

Mainly....it is just such a pedestrian flavour while not interacting on any level I could detect with the meat, bread, seasoning, crumbles, sauces, etc.

Maybe if I mixed it with the Hemp Oil that latter would be able to somehow displace the "neutral" flavour of it with its own, much better, "neutral". Squirted a good bit on a TurkeySwiss sub on wheat with the Adult Ketchup back on Friday and it was easily up to the task. Woo, free nominal nutrition boost~

rykomatsu

ElectricThunder said:
Found some Prosciutto IronGAF----how fares it/experiences with it? It is my understanding that it can be eaten straight out of a well refrigerated pack or cooked/heated up, right? How much of a difference does that make?

Personally, I prefer it uncooked. Cooking it isn't bad, but makes it a little bit tough (relatively speaking since prosciutto starts off melts in your mouth tender). If I mess around with a recipe that requires prosciutto, I usually substitute it with pancetta and add a pinch more salt since pancetta is usually cheaper.

If you find yourself liking prosciutto, I'd suggest giving Jamon Iberico and Bayonne ham a try as well. Primarily oleic acid for all 3 so the health benefits for all are similar to olive oil. I think Iberico has the highest content of oleic acid of the 3 since the pigs feast on acorns for the last part of their lives before ending up as ham...

thespot84

rykomatsu said:
Personally, I prefer it uncooked. Cooking it isn't bad, but makes it a little bit tough (relatively speaking since prosciutto starts off melts in your mouth tender). If I mess around with a recipe that requires prosciutto, I usually substitute it with pancetta and add a pinch more salt since pancetta is usually cheaper.

If you find yourself liking prosciutto, I'd suggest giving Jamon Iberico and Bayonne ham a try as well. Primarily oleic acid for all 3 so the health benefits for all are similar to olive oil. I think Iberico has the highest content of oleic acid of the 3 since the pigs feast on acorns for the last part of their lives before ending up as ham...

I agree with everything on the prosciutto front. Just a note if you're in the US: Jamon Iberico has been in the US just a few years and ranges from $30-$70/lb, but I do hear it's delicious, just giving you fair warning.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
That's easy: Get some cantaloupe, and wrap the prosciutto slices around it. Eat.

20-ProsciuttoCantelopeLG.jpg

Then you thank me.

thespot84 said:
Just a note if you're in the US: Jamon Iberico has been in the US just a few years and ranges from $30-$70/lb, but I do hear it's delicious, just giving you fair warning.
Good quality jamón ibérico de bellota is usually well over $100 per pound in the US. Depending on its provenance and the retailer, don't be too surprised at prices hovering dangerously close to $200 per pound...

It completely destroys all other kinds of cured hams, including prosciutto, but it's an expensive habit.

rykomatsu said:

Good to know...sounds like it might wind up with a more Bacon or Bison Jerky like texture if cooked. The pack I got was pretty small, rough plan is to try it both ways(how quick/high heat does it cook up----comparable to my other adventures in the "Salami" family?), see how it goes, then likely make a point of trying different packages from different companies from the surrounding stores. Never been one historically to get much out of Fruit/Meat combos, but this might well be high end enough to just roll with it.

Duly noted on the Jamon, though that Bayonne and other relative things on Wiki were unknown to me-----stuff is definitely expensive but I think I saw some once around here at a sub-pound weight...literally just a few thin slices in a pack.

My plan is to TRY to cheat on that front though, and take some advantage of a little known boon lurking on the coast here in the state of GA----Ossabaw pork! Anybody done the deed either roadtrip wise or found a place that actually ships out? Learned about it from a one-off on the Cooking channel----hour long/rather nice hour show called The Four Coursemen.

Zyzyxxz

Nex Superne said:
Good quality jamón ibérico de bellota is usually well over $100 per pound in the US. Depending on its provenance and the retailer, don't be too surprised at prices hovering dangerously close to $200 per pound...

It completely destroys all other kinds of cured hams, including prosciutto, but it's an expensive habit.

But its not true Spanish cured ham right? Most Spanish hams are cured at room temperatures to achieve that excellence but the FDA being fear mongerers that they are have banned "true" jamon iberico havent they? The only ones that can enter the country are those that have met FDA approval meaning they were cured in a fridge.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ElectricThunder said:
Found some Prosciutto IronGAF----how fares it/experiences with it? It is my understanding that it can be eaten straight out of a well refrigerated pack or cooked/heated up, right? How much of a difference does that make?
Raw on grilled peaches with pepper
Believe.

Zyzyxxz said:
But its not true Spanish cured ham right? Most Spanish hams are cured at room temperatures to achieve that excellence but the FDA being fear mongerers that they are have banned "true" jamon iberico havent they? The only ones that can enter the country are those that have met FDA approval meaning they were cured in a fridge.
It's been legal since 2006. You can get jamón ibérico de bellota from Fermin.

D-Pad

Ether_Snake said:
Wow that looks awesome! And easy to make.

Yesterday I made maple syrup pork roast.

Here is the recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Roast-Pork-with-Maple-and-Mustard-Glaze/Detail.aspx

Picture from Allrecipes.com (not mine)
426177.jpg

Made this today with a small 1 lb pork loin. Delicious! Served with loaded mashed potatoes (instant) and veggies.

Axion22 said:
Then for breakfast this morning, mini sausage rolls & eggs, sunny side up!
Looks great! What's wrapping the sausage?

rykomatsu

Zyzyxxz said:
Must have read an old article.
You can even get Culatello di Zibello in the US now which is the king of Italian cured hams :) I've never had, but would like to try one of these days...

UrokeJoe said:
I take it I'm about four years LTTP, but what is the consensus on the no-knead bread started by Jim Lahey?

My enameled cast iron dutch oven is on it's way and the first thing I want to try is this.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/08mini.html?_r=2

The texture of no knead bread is amazing...crispy crust which crackles as it cools, and tender and moist center. The flavor could use some work for the basic recipe...it ends up being rather bland. Found it being good for fondue since you have the cheese being the main taste.

This may be a really dumb question but is there anything to know about black pepper for grinders? Are there varieties and differences in quality or something? Often at nice restaurants I feel like I could eat their pepper grinds by the spoonful, but the stuff I have at home is pretty bland and unappealing. It doesn't even smell that great. (I do grind my own at home but have never had it seem that great.)

thespot84

Aquavelvaman said:
This may be a really dumb question but is there anything to know about black pepper for grinders? Are there varieties and differences in quality or something? Often at nice restaurants I feel like I could eat their pepper grinds by the spoonful, but the stuff I have at home is pretty bland and unappealing. It doesn't even smell that great. (I do grind my own at home but have never had it seem that great.)

the size of the grind has a lot to do with it, along with the pepper color (white, green, or black).

Most of what you'll get at a restaurant (when the waiter grinds it onto your salad, for instance) will be a relatively course grind, which I happen to prefer, and the stuff you get in a pepper shaker at a regular joint is pretty finely ground. Most grinders have adjustments for the coarseness, so mess around with it.

For color, you usually get black at restaurants, but mess around with green and white (they're usually more expensive though). They have different flavors as they're picked at differing stages of ripeness, I happen to be a huge white pepper fan.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
thespot84 said:
the size of the grind has a lot to do with it, along with the pepper color (white, green, or black).

Most of what you'll get at a restaurant (when the waiter grinds it onto your salad, for instance) will be a relatively course grind, which I happen to prefer, and the stuff you get in a pepper shaker at a regular joint is pretty finely ground. Most grinders have adjustments for the coarseness, so mess around with it.

For color, you usually get black at restaurants, but mess around with green and white (they're usually more expensive though). They have different flavors as they're picked at differing stages of ripeness, I happen to be a huge white pepper fan.
the color white in white pepper has nothing to do with the ripening, but the fermentation of the corns in water after picking and the subsequent bleaching of tze peppercorns in the sun. take a whiff of a bag of white peppercorn and you will sense the almost pungent smell of them. this adds to the unique taste.

ShinAmano said:
So I promised a new pic with the ribs I did on Sunday:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs242.snc6/179032_1861354897460_1348585047_2131705_5595648_n.jpg[IMG]

Super tasty...[/QUOTE]
TELL ME HOW.

ShinAmano

Odious Tea said:
TELL ME HOW.
Really simple...
Take off membrane.
Apply Magic Dust Rub* to back of ribs.
Apply thin layer of mustard to meaty side of ribs.
Apply Magic Dust to meaty side.
Stabilize grill/smoker/oven at 220.
If using a grill/smoker add some apple chips/chunks for flavor.
Every hour for 4 hours I misted the ribs with a 50/50 Apple Cider/Juice Mix.
Pull the ribs out coat with your favorite BBQ sauce (I used Stubbs).
Crank up the temperature of your cooking device to 300.
Cook for 30-45 minutes.

Enjoy.

The recipe for Magic Dust makes about 2 cups aka WAY more than you would need for this, but the stuff goes great on just about anything.

Magic Dust Rub:
* 1/2 cup paprika
* 1/4 cup kosher salt, finely ground
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 2 tablespoons mustard powder
* 1/4 cup chili powder
* 1/4 cup ground cumin
* 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
* 1/4 cup granulated garlic
* 2 tablespoons cayenne

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
ShinAmano said:
Pull the ribs out coat with your favorite BBQ sauce (I used Stubbs).

There is something very very wrong about using a Central Texas BBQ sauce to slather ribs in while they are cooking.

StoOgE

My first attempt at making bread was these Cayanne Cheese Bread.

Picture001-1.jpg

I lost part of the outer loaf to the pan on one side, but it gives you a good look inside. It went over really, really well.

Picture003.jpg

MrBig

Looks interesting. I've actually got a loaf of honey/maple baking right now. My neighbor gave me his breadmaker and I've been making my own loaves for the last few weeks

Aquavelvaman said:

Beyond what the rest of the folks have said, I recommend just rolling with a good bottle/canister of mixed peppercorns----3-4 colors minimum as the variety tends to hit all the bases.

Cept grits----load that up with black peppercorns dark as night on a new moon always and forever.

StoOgE

MrBig said:
Looks interesting. I've actually got a loaf of honey/maple baking right now. My neighbor gave me his breadmaker and I've been making my own loaves for the last few weeks

I don't have one so mine went in the oven. Still came out tasting amazing, just a little ugly due to the side that was ripped off.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
You gotta spray/butter/grease your loaf pan, Stooge! Bread will stick just as much as anything else.

Baking bread is so easy and satisfying, there's (almost) no reason to ever have store-bought in the house. I made a whole wheat-honey loaf last night, cinnamon-swirl pumpkin bread last week and am probably going to try a Portuguese yeasted cornbread soon.

StoOgE

I actually did spray the pan down pretty well but that side still stuck. The rest of it slid right out when I turned it over. I'm going to remake it tonight and will make sure I spray that side a bit better.

and yes, bread is super easy to make and not all that messy. This recipe (from Cook's Illustrated who I love) doesn't even require the dough to sit for any time before using. It's a quick bake recipe. I think I'm going to try the traditional yeast based one this weekend.

There is also probably nothing in the world that tastes better than fresh baked bread. When it is still warm it is just amazing.

MrBig

Cosmic Bus said:
You gotta spray/butter/grease your loaf pan, Stooge! Bread will stick just as much as anything else.

Baking bread is so easy and satisfying, there's (almost) no reason to ever have store-bought in the house. I made a whole wheat-honey loaf last night, cinnamon-swirl pumpkin bread last week and am probably going to try a Portuguese yeasted cornbread soon.
What recipe have you been using? Mine aren't coming out as soft as I'd like

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
MrBig said:
What recipe have you been using? Mine aren't coming out as soft as I'd like

Haven't used the same recipe twice in quite a while, actually; just been interested in trying out a variety. Generally speaking, though, you can encourage a softer texture in a few ways: by substituting milk for about 2/3 of the required water, using a bit less flour than called for, and making sure your yeast is dealt with properly -- dissolved in warm water (90-100°), fed a little sugar, and allowed to 'foam up' for around ten minutes. Don't let yeast come into direct contact with salt, either. Dissolve salt in liquid first and/or blend it with the other ingredients for a few minutes first and then add the prepped yeast.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
yeah, definitely, c.b. nothing contributes more to leadbread than a hydration that's way too low. as a beginning baker i made this mistake a lot, not understanding that bread dough should be wet. it shouldn't be easy to work with without bench flour, and even then, it's delicate stuff. all the stuff you say about rise is important, too. let it rise, fold to redistribute bubbles, shape, deflate as little as possible.

milk is a nice addition too, if you're doing a more sandwich type loaf, or a richer bread.

MrBig

Cosmic Bus said:
Haven't used the same recipe twice in quite a while, actually; just been interested in trying out a variety. Generally speaking, though, you can encourage a softer texture in a few ways: by substituting milk for about 2/3 of the required water, using a bit less flour than called for, and making sure your yeast is dealt with properly -- dissolved in warm water (90-100°), fed a little sugar, and allowed to 'foam up' for around ten minutes. Don't let yeast come into direct contact with salt, either. Dissolve salt in liquid first and/or blend it with the other ingredients for a few minutes first and then add the prepped yeast.
I actually did all of that except for dissolving the yeast this time. Can't wait to see how it comes out then.
I've been using a different recipe every time too, after buying the same Honey Wheat loaf from publix for the last ~10 years :lol

Using this for sandwiches, toasts etc

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
beelzebozo said:
it's delicate stuff. all the stuff you say about rise is important, too. let it rise, fold to redistribute bubbles, shape, deflate as little as possible.

Oh lordy, yes. When I see people advise punching the dough down before a second rise (or ever, really) I'm all dkhgadlkhglafgh! Fold it, press the air out and around, but stop treating your bread dough like a murder suspect.

Also, unless you're trying for a really thick, crunchy crust, I would suggest placing a cake pan of water on the bottom rack of your oven during baking. I've consistently had better results with than without.

iamaustrian said:
I finished my 2nd cookery course on new year's eve.
I thought I'd share some impressions from this course and the last one. sorry for the low quality cellphone pics. the better ones are from the chef himself, taken with a camera

looks amazing. Is that just like a cooking class anyone can sign up for? Are they normally for experienced cooks?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Yeah, man, making bread is rad. I have so much respect for anyone who can create a great recipe, perfect it and the techniques involved, and then duplicate the process time and time again. It's a serious skill and one of those undervalued things in society.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
HiResDes said:
Man I never knew it was so complex, no wonder no one can replicate my mom's dinner loaf

your mom has adequate skills to pay required bills. if you're interested in understanding what's involved with making great bread, THE BREAD BAKER'S APPRENTICE by reinhart is a great book. i learned a lot from it. but if you're looking for a particular kind of bread, i'd happily scan it in for you. i should note a lot of it is built on core technique, like what c.b. is describing (quite well, i might add)

MrBig

HiResDes said:
Man I never knew it was so complex, no wonder no one can replicate my mom's dinner loaf
:lol I just put the ingredients in my bread maker and press two buttons. It doesn't look fancy but it always cooks perfectly.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Cooked some veal liver tonight. Tastes the same too me as rabbit liver that I had a few months ago. Do all livers taste the same?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Ether_Snake said:
Cooked some veal liver tonight. Tastes the same too me as rabbit liver that I had a few months ago. Do all livers taste the same?

i think chicken liver tastes cleaner than beef liver, though i could be imagining things. there's just something gritty about beef liver.

how did you cook it? i've been on a chicken liver kick lately.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I just cooked with some dried thyme and dijon mustard, and a little bit of red wine at the end. I had no idea how to cook it really, I just remember my mom usually eat that with dijon mustard. I like the taste of the liver by itself, and I think it went well with the thyme and dijon. I can imagine the taste of liver is not for everyone, but at least it tastes something on its own, unlike beef or pork or chicken which sucks if you just it eat with no seasoning at all (not that I don't season liver, but at least it has a taste).

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
you just seared it like a steak then? i have this perception, probably erroneous, that liver is pretty delicate and easy to overcook. i start mine almost like a stew and braise it, sautee onions and mushrooms and garlic in butter, add the seasoned liver and stir to brown slightly, deglaze with stock and simmer for about ten minutes. the liver is still silky smooth and rich, pink on the inside, really excellent. my grandma breads them and fries them to a crisp, overcooks the shit out of them, but the delicious grandma breading is enough to carry me through.

Ether_Snake said:
All that I've had have that same basic, iron-heavy flavor, although the intensity of it varies. I think you'd find that a beef liver would have a stronger "livery" flavor than the more delicate veal liver, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom