• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrankyJay

Banned
otake said:
What vintage?

Hat an oregon 2008 pinot noir the other night, with pork sausage, rice and red beans, it was an excellent pairing.

I think the 2007's are better for the Louis Martini cabs if you can find them. The weather was excellent that year for Napa Valley, but I think you'll find mostly 2008's these days.

dyonPT

Chili Capuccino Brownies

DSC09133.JPG

DSC09382.JPG

DSC09364.JPG

DSC09448.JPG

Hot!

Those brownies look GLORIOUS---and I've never even had any of the Spice and/or Coffee based chocolate anything before!

For me tonight:

pnQPH.jpg

Cheese: Amish Country Cream Havarti
Crumble: Gourmet Basics Honey BBQ Smart Fries
Meat: Boar's Head Hot & Spicy Sopressata

Cheese is as the name denotes---extremely creamy, a good if non-stick melt, and rather delicious with a bit of oil to it. Meat is another solid take on Sopressata---though at this point I'm starting to wonder if there are any out there beyond some sort of elaborate custom order that actually have a particularly noticeable kick to them. The crumble is just a weird, tasty thing with a whole piece included so as to show the natural form of it---another of the less common, but right tasty, air-popped variety.

Flo said:
Made this salad a few days ago, tasted very good. Never made such crunchy onion rings before. The orange, vomit like substance is lentils with the onions on top. The white is a mixture of goat's cheese and Greek yoghurt.
25hfwg2.jpg

Looks great and perfect for the summer! Are the lentils cold, or still warm?

I had some zucchini from the garden a few weeks ago, so I made zucchini pancakes:
5992033076_5795504d27.jpg
=
5991476163_919a34aee5.jpg

recipe here

We had some friends over last weekend so we put together some snacks for them:

bread and cheese, lychee, quick pickled Korean cucumber*, farro salad*, pickled carrots*, olives, cornichons, 5-spice boiled peanuts*, pico de gallo*, dried fava beans, and white bean dip*

* = homemade

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I really should have taken a picture of these ribs and baked beans I did up today.

Nothing goes with ribs like baked beans.. with lots of bacon.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Made this for our anniversary.

29Tab.jpg

Red Velvet Cupcakes with cream cheese icing.

It was a pain in the ASS trying to find a way to put the cupcakes in the middle of the bouquet without damaging the flowers. I ended up cutting the tops off some styrofoam cups and taping them to an animation peg bar and stuck it in there.

The icing turned out okay despite the fact that the kitchen supply store sent me the wrong size piping tips (they were too small). It was also the hottest day of the summer and the air conditioning in the building was knocked out so it got difficult making the icing. The butter ended up breaking a lot but I managed to fix it after some time.

Shawsie64

Banned
Divvy said:

29Tab.jpg

It was a pain in the ASS trying to find a way to put the cupcakes in the middle of the bouquet without damaging the flowers. I ended up cutting the tops off some styrofoam cups and taping them to an animation peg bar and stuck it in there.

The icing turned out okay despite the fact that the kitchen supply store sent me the wrong size piping tips (they were too small). It was also the hottest day of the summer and the air conditioning in the building was knocked out so it got difficult making the icing. The butter ended up breaking a lot but I managed to fix it after some time.

Wow looks amazing :)

Also congrats on anniversary

CrankyJay

Banned
nakedsushi said:
We had some friends over last weekend so we put together some snacks for them:

bread and cheese, lychee, quick pickled Korean cucumber*, farro salad*, pickled carrots*, olives, cornichons, 5-spice boiled peanuts*, pico de gallo*, dried fava beans, and white bean dip*

* = homemade

Can I be your friend? Seriously, I would love a friend who put together a spread like this for me.

Divvy said:

29Tab.jpg

Wow this is crazy! Great job with the cupcakes. I was wondering how they were settled in the bouquet, but your MacGuyvered it well.

Zyzyxxz

Made some oyakodon the other day with some jidori chicken thighs. It's basically sauteed chicken with runny egg and sauce mixture over rice.

5999950943_ec31ca7a5b_b.jpg

Chicken katsu curry with jidori chicken breast which was brined.

6000498026_948313ec24_b.jpg

puck1337

Smoked some jalapenos today, and I have some pork belly sitting in the fridge, slowly turning into bacon that will be smoked next weekend. God bless pink salt.

My wife made some strawberry jam and fresh buns yesterday.

Life is good. Too bad that both of my cameras are busted.

Zyzyxxz

SnakeXs said:
Zyzyxxz, dare I ask your japanese curry recipe?

The one in my picture is a shit of a recipe I threw together in 20 minutes, it was just dashi, canned chicken stock, store bought curry roux, and curry powder.

My real recipe (adapted from Curry Cuisine with some modifications).

-1 medium onion, thinly sliced, slowly carmelized over 1.5-2 hours over very low heat with oil and 1 tablespoon of butter
-add 1 tb each of minced ginger and garlic to onions, cook until softed over medium heat
-mix in 2 tb of curry powder, 2 tb of all purpose flour, 1 tb tomato paste, 1 tb mango chutney (if u have it), 2 tb soy sauce (preferably Japanese shoyu). Lower heat and scrap into a bowl.

That is your curry roux and you just add it to a pot of boiling stock/water with vegetables.

Preferably you want to use a very light flavor, no sodium chicken stock. I like to use 1 part dashi stock to 3-4 parts chicken stock to get a little bit of an umami boost.

luoapp said:
Zyzyxxz, dare I ask what is the dish at the lower-left corner in your second picture?

Sauteed frog legs with bittermelon, my father made it and it was alright but not my cup of tea.

Robot1X

Neo Member
What can I add to a can of tomato sauce to make it into a decent pizza sauce?

I also need a recipe for a good crust..

Thanks in advance.

MrBig

LonelyFinch said:

I also need a recipe for a good crust..

Thanks in advance.
Here's the recipe I use.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27706474&postcount=9975

For the sauce I use plain Hunt's tomato sauce and add some of my own seasoning of dried herbs from my garden. Mainly rosemary, parsley, oregano, and just a little bit of mint.

Store bought Italian seasoning is also good

Zyzyxxz said:
Sauteed frog legs with bittermelon, my father made it and it was alright but not my cup of tea.

I love bittermelon! But I've never had it or seen it sauteed with frog legs. Seems like it would be a weird combination. I'm a fan of bittermelon stir fried with black bean sauce and chili. Or stir fried with salted duck egg. Or stir fried with scrambled egg. If you can't tell, I love bittermelon =D

LonelyFinch said:
We keep ours pretty simple. Fire-roasted tomatoes & liquid from a can, diced or chopped from whole. Sautee five or six cloves of sliced garlic and ton of olive oil in a pan first, optionally add coarsely chopped kalamatas or capers, then add tomatoes, little salt if you skipped the olives and capers, and cook it down to a nice consistency.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
cartoon_soldier said:
So, El Bulli close is coming up. Can't wait to see No Reservation's El Bulli episode.

And that's what every food media/blog is reporting. lol

Wow, such an amazing episode!

nakedsushi said:
I love bittermelon! But I've never had it or seen it sauteed with frog legs. Seems like it would be a weird combination. I'm a fan of bittermelon stir fried with black bean sauce and chili. Or stir fried with salted duck egg. Or stir fried with scrambled egg. If you can't tell, I love bittermelon =D

LOVE bittermelon! :9 It's really great in soup too!

s1wjg.jpg

Finally broke down and grabbed that new sauce that was tempting to me these past few months, Meditalia Sundried Tomato Tapenade, my first ever tapenade.

It is good, garlicky stuff---worked well with the leftover Cream Havarti and sliced up Turkey Bacon.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Like, when people develop their own recipes, they usually use an existing recipe as the base, right? (Not in all cases, I understand) So, like, how much stuff do you need to add or subtract to/from it in order to call it your own?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Absolutely, thanks for sharing!

Same goes for all recent contributors and -ettes, great stuff everybody!

Got some heavy rain here at the moment, which kind of spoils the Grilling plans for tonight, but the elements never kept me from anything charcoal-related ;)

smallP1030677.jpg

CRS

Haven't posted anything here in a while so here's some salsa in progress. Bowl contains roasted tomatoes, onions, and jalapeños. Not pictured: salt, pepper, and one bunch of cilantro.
284228_2325324652028_1216987463_32918401_4145550_n.jpg

Raining in Denmark as well Onkel, they say that the summer is over already (what? we only got 2 weeks of sun!) luckily I got to grill outside a lot.

Anyway I wanted to say that the Metroid 25h anniversary thread has gone live over at the gaming side. A few people contributed from IronGaf. I hope you'll enjoy reading it.

About to start raining here now actually, but this is why I had a 4pm'ish dinner!

H5pwc.jpg

The cheese is more Amish Country, this time Colby, the sauce the leftovers of that Tapenade, and the crumble some rather Vinegary Lays' Natural Tangy Carolina BBQ

It was all just good stuff, the Colby melting decently enough and not being messy.

CrankyJay

Banned
Not really related to my cooking...but I had Bánh mì for the first time at a food festival in my town.

My question is...

Where in the FUCK has this sandwich been all my life? It was incredible. I'm must try and make different variations of this.

CrankyJay

Banned
Deadly Cyclone said:
Alright. Grocery day tomorrow, recommend something I can make for myself for Sunday night that is cheap and healthy.

We don't know what your definition of cheap is. My grocery day is tomorrow as well. Looking to do some grilled salmon steaks or fillets.

Deadly Cyclone said:
Alright. Grocery day tomorrow, recommend something I can make for myself for Sunday night that is cheap and healthy.

Roasted Chicken Thighs w/ Roasted Veggies (Onions, Peppers, Carrots, Potatoes).

Seasoning of Salt, Pepper, Paprika, Thyme (or any Italian seasoning will work)

kudos.

Wow do those pictures look fantastic dyonPT. I need a camera for my portfolio when I start culinary school. Can anyone recommend anything under $400?

CrankyJay said:
Not really related to my cooking...but I had Bánh mì for the first time at a food festival in my town.

My question is...

Where in the FUCK has this sandwich been all my life? It was incredible. I'm must try and make different variations of this.
If there is a Little Saigon in your city it should be pretty easy to find some

dyonPT

kudos. said:
Wow do those pictures look fantastic dyonPT. I need a camera for my portfolio when I start culinary school. Can anyone recommend anything under $400?

Thanks !! :D

I use a SONY NEX-3 :) I Love the camera, and it has all the features I need :)

I Also use a tripod and some white boards for the backgroud ;)

Flo

nakedsushi said:
Looks great and perfect for the summer! Are the lentils cold, or still warm?
Yes, they were still warm. It was a nice combination with the cold dressing on top, but next time I don't think I'll place it on top of the lettuce, made it soggy after a while. The original recipe was also with young spinach leaves, think that might be even better.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
kudos. said:
a PowerShot S90 or S95 with a matching software works wonders. I use DxO Optics pro.

CrankyJay

Banned
CrankyJay said:
We don't know what your definition of cheap is. My grocery day is tomorrow as well. Looking to do some grilled salmon steaks or fillets.

Got a fillet. Kept it simple. Dill weed, sea salt, cracked black pepper. Grilled it.

k7jLy.jpg

Hey CookingGAF, just a quick question about culinary schools that I didn't think deserved its own thread. What have you guys heard about FCI (French Culinary Institute) in Manhattan? Originally, I was planning on attending CIA, but the chef I was working under (who went to FCI) talked a lot of shit and has actually gotten very very close to convincing me to consider applying to FCI instead. Her main points were that at FCI, you get in and out in 9 months, rather than at CIA it takes 2-3 years. Plus, she says you learn just as more at FCI and end up paying half the price in tuition.

I mostly wanted to go to CIA because I really didn't know too much about any culinary schools other than CIA being touted as the best in The U.S. However, because I'm doing a career change, and because I'm a bit older than the average student (I'm 24) and that CIA requires 6 months kitchen experience before attending (FCI requires none), and because I don't have a lot of money saved up and will be supporting myself all the way through, FCI seems like a really appealing option.

Thanks in advance!

Here's something Georgia, USA GAF should enjoy---especially if you are even remotely near to the state capital of Atlanta. For everybody else, well, some good looking stuff/educational bits in these 2 hours that should leave you hungry for SOMETHING by the end of it. Nicely done PBS station, nicely done indeed....

http://www.getdeliciousatlanta.com/

Watch them in numeric order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom