• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

cmonmanreally said:
Hey CookingGAF, just a quick question about culinary schools that I didn't think deserved its own thread. What have you guys heard about FCI (French Culinary Institute) in Manhattan? Originally, I was planning on attending CIA, but the chef I was working under (who went to FCI) talked a lot of shit and has actually gotten very very close to convincing me to consider applying to FCI instead. Her main points were that at FCI, you get in and out in 9 months, rather than at CIA it takes 2-3 years. Plus, she says you learn just as more at FCI and end up paying half the price in tuition.

I mostly wanted to go to CIA because I really didn't know too much about any culinary schools other than CIA being touted as the best in The U.S. However, because I'm doing a career change, and because I'm a bit older than the average student (I'm 24) and that CIA requires 6 months kitchen experience before attending (FCI requires none), and because I don't have a lot of money saved up and will be supporting myself all the way through, FCI seems like a really appealing option.

Thanks in advance!

Take my advice and unless you can get good financial aid don't do it. I'm a year and a half into the industry and let me tell you if you can afford to work for free and stage/extern for a decent restaurant so they will teach you the basics they will eventually hire you or refer you and you will learn on the job. I think the points about FCI are valid but know what you are getting into financially.

CrankyJay

Banned
So here's a question for professional chefs in this thread. What are you impressions of some of the home enthusiast cooking? Is it mostly shitty in your opinion (really, how could you know without tasting it), knowing your background, or do you find that people can hold their own?

I get compliments from friends and family alike for my food but I couldn't live the chef/cook lifestyle. Hell, I wouldn't even want to cater.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Dinner last night, a basic omelet of sorts with fresh red onion, jalapeno, and turkey bacon.

IMG_20110807_194826.jpg

Daft_Cat

So I recently had risotto for the first time. I'm thinking it must be the only common dish I had never had. It was never made for me growing up..and even though I cook a lot myself, I never really considered taking a shot at it (I'd heard that it was very easy to royally fuck up).

Anyway, I had it at a very nice restaurant...it was flavoured with a red wine reduction. The entire dish was delicious.

Does anyone have any tips on preparing risotto? I'd love to cook it for my friends, but I wouldn't want to end up shooting the entire dinner in the foot. Any good flavours that go with it? I'd love to try and recreate the dish I had at the restaurant..but I don't have their recipe (I just know it had a red wine reduction).

Tips GAF?

We had a Lemon risotto in the restaurant I worked in. I learned how to make risotto from a cook from Mexico, but there are probably other methods.

-First chop a shallot really fine. Take a really large pan and glaze the shallot, when the shallot is glazed throw in the raw/uncooked risotto. You pretty much glaze the risotto until all the grains are shiny, stir constantly or it will stick to the pan and burn.

- You then add a liquid to the pan, we used our homemade chicken broth and some white whine and we added Lemongrass as a whole and the skin of the lemon. We cooked it around 9 minutes because we finished it later, but normally it takes around 11-12 minutes. Don't forget to stir again.

- When it's ready we threw it on a sieve and caught the liquid in a pan. Then took out the skin of the lemon and the lemongrass out of the risotto and threw it back in the liquid, and put the liquid back on the fire and let it reduce until it's around half of the amount you started with. We let risotto cool down, so it didn't overcook and turned into a paste.

- We than finished it in the reduced liquid and butter until it form a nice and creamy family. We added a little bit of pepper and salt and that was it. It takes some practice to make it perfect, because it's hard to find the perfect texture, but it's not that hard to make.

Edit : A lot of people like to add Cream and Parmesancheese at the end to make it heavier and more creamy, we chose not to do that because with the lemon it's nicer when it's a littler lighter and keeps it freshness.

Leeness

6rt5jp.jpg

Pug cake! Though it looks more like a weird cross of a bigger dog or something. Oh well.

First time working with fondant, and it ended up being on a super time constraint (2.5 hours) so it didn't quite come out how I had envisioned, but what does? It was fun to work on anyway and the recipient loved it. :)

Zyzyxxz said:
Take my advice and unless you can get good financial aid don't do it. I'm a year and a half into the industry and let me tell you if you can afford to work for free and stage/extern for a decent restaurant so they will teach you the basics they will eventually hire you or refer you and you will learn on the job. I think the points about FCI are valid but know what you are getting into financially.

Hm, that's really interesting. I have a few more questions but rather take away from this thread I just PM'd you. Hope you don't mind!

Flo_Evans

I can't get enough!

Cheap Chinese:
mTm5F.jpg

Who says you can't get good bread in america? They are not going to restaurants that bake their own bread:
qdiZI.jpg

Amazing chilled sweet corn soup:
AcGy5.jpg

Beef tenderloin, topped with portabella mushroom, blue cheese, and bernaise... OMG
4ET4x.jpg

Finally, some wonderful trout!:
z0NvL.jpg

Flo_Evans

Sorry I lent it out for the day...

and I did have some amazing pizza for lunch! Some guy converted an airstream trailer into a wood oven pizza parlor on wheels! I will have to get pics of his setup and pizza next time he is around.

totowhoa

Banned
Cooked a rather late lunch today. Mango & Chicken curry (with plenty o' ginger and garlic inside). Like any good curry, looks a little ugly, but tasted amazing. Soft little mango pieces inside were delicious and the cucumber was surprisingly complementary (an idea I borrowed from another recipe). I also finally used some red cargo rice that I've had in the pantry for like a year.

MangoChickCurry.jpg

CrankyJay said:
Not really related to my cooking...but I had Bánh mì for the first time at a food festival in my town.

My question is...

Where in the FUCK has this sandwich been all my life? It was incredible. I'm must try and make different variations of this.

It's super easy man. Give it a go. I always make enough for me and my fiance to have it for lunch two days in row. There are plenty of ways to slightly vary it and still get a really amazing sandwich.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Sklorenz said:
Cooked a rather late lunch today. Mango & Chicken curry (with plenty o' ginger and garlic inside). Like any good curry, looks a little ugly, but tasted amazing. Soft little mango pieces inside were delicious and the cucumber was surprisingly complementary (an idea I borrowed from another recipe). I also finally used some red cargo rice that I've had in the pantry for like a year.

MangoChickCurry.jpg

Looks good. I've made something similar in the past, and really wasn't a fan of the squishy mangoes inside.

totowhoa

Banned
RatskyWatsky said:
Looks good. I've made something similar in the past, and really wasn't a fan of the squishy mangoes inside.

Ah I really enjoyed the mangoes inside. The pic above does not have them inside of it. I decided to try doing that after I finished off that plate and I really enjoyed it. My mango was just a little shy from being perfectly ripe which is why I gave it a try... slightly too stiff as a topping. If it was completely ripe, it would probably be best as just a topping though

ChanHuk

Banned
Deadly Cyclone said:
Alright. Grocery day tomorrow, recommend something I can make for myself for Sunday night that is cheap and healthy.

You can get chicken thighs for cheaper than you can get chicken breast. Just remove the skin and use less oil when cooking. Better protein:dollar ratio. Pick up some greens that'll freeze nicely like kale (actually taste better if they're frozen first imo) if they're on sale.

If you have a Costco nearby, their chicken breast in a can is great and turns out to be about $3.5 a lb if you need something fast and cheap. A little bit of mayo, mustard, relish, and bread, you got yourself a cheap chicken salad sandwich.

totowhoa

Banned
ChanHuk said:
If you have a Costco nearby, their chicken breast in a can is great and turns out to be about $3.5 a lb if you need something fast and cheap. A little bit of mayo, mustard, relish, and bread, you got yourself a cheap chicken salad sandwich.

I keep canned chicken on hand for extremely lazy or extremely busy days. I'll just throw some pre- or home-made BBQ sauce on them and shred them up over a burner and I have a hot BBQ sandwich in three minutes.

Zyzyxxz

Just got back from a long week of driving, eating, pushing friends to the homosexual max, and thinking about my future.

We began our week by leaving Los Angeles at 6a.m. Stopping in Vegas for a quick bite and then to all the way to the middle of nowhere Rifle Colorado. Unfortunately my friends were cheap so we mostly ate quickly off fastfood since time was of the essence too.

The 2nd day we stopped by this random Latin America place which had a pretty interesting dinner menu but an uninspired lunch menu.

We tried some blacked chicken breast with black bean ravioli and Gorgonzola cheese sauce.
6033255375_4e4d3b3320_b.jpg

I had a plate of empanads, arepas, and fried plantains all of which were decent but not memorable.
6033255241_32fc3f7c29_b.jpg

After another day of driving through Nebraska+Iowa and seeing nothing but corn we were tired but Saturday was a tough day as we helped my friend moved into his new apartment in the sweltering heat and humidity of Chicago's summer. We ended the day eating at Five Guys Burgers since it was cheap and close.

Sunday began with a visit to the Maxwell Street Market which boasts a large number of interesting vendors selling cheap trinkets and tools but also a good assortment of Mexican food vendors selling flavored ice, churros, and of course tacos
6033255739_f17d8e5236_b.jpg

Unfortunately we got there a bit late in the afternoon and the stall I wanted to try ran out of all their meats except Asada which is my least favorite taco meat. I really wanted to try their lengua (tongue) and mixed (chorizo + steak) but maybe next year. The handmade corn tortillas are super thick and very filling. It was a bad idea to pour so much hot salsa on it, only made the humidity worse!
6033812588_df651eaffd_b.jpg

I really wanted to try Pequod's pizza but my friend who lives in the suburbs made it a bit difficult to stay in downtown too late. I was still satisfied with this place we tried called Giordanos.
6033812916_c7bedacb13_b.jpg

Chicago isn't just known for their American fare but its because a truly diverse city boasting some great Indian food throughout the greater area. Did not have a chance to try Devon Ave restaurants but there was this one place far out that was labeled as Himalaya/Tibetan although they are greatly influenced by Indian cooking.

We ordered chicken tikka, chicken tikka masala, lamb vindaloo, and lamb pasanda with some chicken biryani and great naan to soak up the sauces. My favorite was the lamb pasanda (yellow sauce on the left). It was some sort of almond cream sauce which was distinct but the natural gaminess of lamb came out well! I think I am in love with Indian food now, especially naan! Pretty sure I'm gonna be cooking more of it.
6033813102_7bdcb0ca08_b.jpg

Finally something I missed out on my last visit. A long time desire of mine ever since watching No Reservations. None other than Hot Doug's which is known for their long last as much as their unique sausages.
6033256361_34e6e55c0e_b.jpg

Best way to visit is to go early on a weekday but unfortunately the weekdays don't offer duck fat fries. Its a tradeoff but I was pressed for time.
6033256687_3d4afa6f8b_b.jpg

My fellow travel mate stuck to some more pedestrian hotdogs which aren't too expensive but I decided to go all out and go for the duck sausage with foie gras mouse and truffle aioli. My second sausage was a ribeye dog with fried onions, chimichurri, and a red wine cheese. Although they tend to be 2-3x more expensive than their regular offerings the specials are not to be missed! I wished I had more stomach space for the venison sausage though.
6033256959_18a8b6a070_b.jpg

Overall it was a good trip but next time I am in town I will go for broke. This trip was not centered around food but more on friends. I am determined to eat at Alinea, L20, and either Blackbird/Publican/Avec in the most selfish manner possible. =)

CrankyJay said:
Not really related to my cooking...but I had Bánh mì for the first time at a food festival in my town.

My question is...

Where in the FUCK has this sandwich been all my life? It was incredible. I'm must try and make different variations of this.

come to San Jose or Orange County.
It's at every corner.

grilled pork is my usual Vietnamese sandwich.
I remember when you used to be able to get them for $1.

Mom made braised pork belly.  :9

YAH THAT'S A NIPPLE. It was delicious.  :smug
30bclkw.jpg

opvbjb.jpg

OK now congee pics:
2v0e8ud.jpg

3451qpe.jpg

24vn1op.jpg

347w56o.jpg

30ubj7l.jpg

20rs8yc.jpg

33y6ver.jpg

I like my congee more soupy so I added water to my bowl:
33arn1w.jpg

SOOOOO GOOOOODDD...

Giordano's!~ Want to try it, too broke/hot to get it shipped to down here in GA---one day!

Next time you are up there, though I can't remember the place's name: They break with the Chicago Deep Dish norms by fashioning a "Pot Pie Pizza"...as in the style is like a Chicken Pot Pie. Saw it featured a couple weeks back on a show on Cooking Channel/Food network and it looked utterly delicious with some sort of very specific custom dough used to make the top.

The bake it up, then slam the thing down upside down at serving time and the feast then spreads out before you...

In the UK meatloaf penetration is non-existent, so I decided to give a "traditional" US Meatloaf recipe a try a while ago, partially due to me being in love with my slow cooker at the moment.

It came out, delicious! made this a few times in the last few months so I've finally got around to taking some pics and writing down a modified recipe.

B6TBpl.jpg

Recipe is here

thespot84

Meatloaf is one of my favorite foods, so easy and delicious.

CrystalGemini what are the black egg-looking things in the congee? Also it's so weird to me to eat a cut of meat with a nipple on it, it's so.......mammalian

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Salmon Fillets tonight, with balsamic vinagrette, a salad and a 2008 burgundy.

The fiance made an interesting dessert. We're fans of Eric Rippert, the chef from la bernadin in NY and life partner of Anthony Bourdain. He has a mango dessert recipe baked in a toaster oven. Recipe here: http://www.aveceric.com/2011/01/21/caramelized-mango-with-rum/

It's just ripe mangos with butter, baked then sprinkled with brown sugar and rum. We did it with Añejo Rum from Puerto Rico (it's a nice bottle of rum) and served the mangos with vanilla ice cream (hagen-das). It was delicious!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Meatloaf is soul food indeed. Called "Falscher Hase" (lit. faux rabbit) and filled with whole hard boiled eggs, it's a staple in traditional german home cuisine. Several restaurants have re-invited it on their menus, even had some in a high class place recenly and it sold like hotcakes.

CrystaoGemini, please describe the taste of thousand year eggs to me. i chickened out every time i had thebchance to taste one so far :(.

Zyzzyxx, great filed trip pics, thanks for sharing, same to everybody else!

OnkelC said:
Meatloaf is soul food indeed. Called "Falscher Hase" (lit. faux rabbit) and filled with whole hard boiled eggs, it's a staple in traditional german home cuisine. Several restaurants have re-invited it on their menus, even had some in a high class place recenly and it sold like hotcakes.

That's super interesting. Just googled Falschers Hase. I might try and make one in that style next time around!

totowhoa

Banned
Made a bean salsa last night and let sit in the fridge overnight. This afternoon I baked some spinach tortilla chips for an afternoon snack

beansalsa.jpg

Still munching on it as I write this.. yummy.

The congee above looks great. I've always wanted to try it one of these days. I'm curious as to what those eggs taste like.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Sklorenz said:
Made a bean salsa last night and let sit in the fridge overnight. This afternoon I baked some spinach tortilla chips for an afternoon snack

Still munching on it as I write this.. yummy.

The congee above looks great. I've always wanted to try it one of these days.

Looks great. How do you make the spinach tortilla chips?

adam.chance

Neo Member
Does anyone have a good recipe for meatloaf? I am looking to add some flavor to it (nothing spicy). I usually just mix ketchup, crackers, and ground beef.

OnkelC said:
CrystaoGemini, please describe the taste of thousand year eggs to me. i chickened out every time i had thebchance to taste one so far :(.

You should definitely try it! It's delicious! :D I had etiolate (another poster on gaf) try it last week and he ordered it again a few days later! You just have to get over the name and the way it looks.

The "whites" (which have turned an onyx-black with snowflake-like patterns inside) is like a firm jelly in texture, not very much flavor. I love the feel of it springing back as you bite - like how a good hot dog has that nice "snap". The yolk is where all the flavor is. The yolks range from runny to slightly more solid (never hard-boiled-solid). Very creamy.

totowhoa

Banned
RatskyWatsky said:
Looks great. How do you make the spinach tortilla chips?

Bought spinach tortillas from my grocer. Chop them up into whatever shape, spray them with olive oil on each side (or *very* lightly brush them), and salt with kosher salt. I just bake them on the broiler setting, but I bake them as far away from the broiler as possible, about one minute per side or so... maybe 90 seconds. Could probably do just as well baking at 350 or something less high and nearer to the heat, but it takes me about as long to prep as it does for my broiler to heat up and I've never had an issue with the result.

I've never made 'special' tortillas from scratch (by that I mean anything other than plain ol' tortillas), but I have to imagine it wouldn't be too terribly hard to make the spinach tortillas from scratch then bake/fry them.. though they'd certainly taste a bit different. Probably better, even. I'm just a bit lazy and the result is good. I prefer baking over frying for health, ease, and cost. You can drop them in a couple inches of hot oil as well of course (I'd probably use canola).

CrystalGemini said:
The "whites" (which have turned an onyx-black with snowflake-like patterns inside) is like a firm jelly in texture, not very much flavor. I love the feel of it springing back as you bite - like how a good hot dog has that nice "snap". The yolk is where all the flavor is. The yolks range from runny to slightly more solid (never hard-boiled-solid). Very creamy.

An Asian grocery store near me sells these eggs. Do you follow a particular recipe for your soup or your own? My fiance and I have always been interested in trying them, though we're both a bit tense about trying them on their own. The soup might be a nice introduction.

My mom taught me to make the congee so there are no real measurements or specific recipe. There are recipes online that seem ok though:

Recipe on allrecipes.com

Few notes on that recipe:
1. Never use ground black pepper on congee (wtf) - use white pepper powder
2. Don't use soy sauce (again wtf)
3. Oyster sauce too?! WUT?!
4. I've never seen a normal duck egg in my preserved egg congee, just the preserved egg
5. Almost certain you're going to need way more water than 5 cups

I would definitely try congee with thousand year egg first. It's a good start. They usually sell two kinds: hard yolk or soft yolk. We like to use the soft yolk because the flavors disperse better over time. It's one of those dishes that really taste better as leftovers.

EDIT - Another recipe from allrecipes.com
*better recipe but just use lean pork meat as opposed to the char sui (which isn't really normally used in this congee)

dyonPT

Maklershed said:
"Guilt and cookies"?

Are those soft or crispy?

Thats my blogs name :)

You cant make a tranlactions by word. It means :

Blame it on the cookies

or

It's all the cookies fault

;)

The are very soft, but it depends how much time they spent in the over.
They are made with caster sugar so the are softer :)

Ek3ia.jpg

Om nom nom as it were.

Cheese: Excalibur English Cheddar
Crumble: Crackelsnax Potato Squares

Good times, with a cheese that is one of the tastier, and more oily, cheddars I've encountered thus far---the crumble also a solid inclusion even if only a single distinct flavor compared to the other bag of the same brand.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
ElectricThunder said:
Om nom nom as it were.

Cheese: Excalibur English Cheddar
Crumble: Crackelsnax Potato Squares

Good times, with a cheese that is one of the tastier, and more oily, cheddars I've encountered thus far---the crumble also a solid inclusion even if only a single distinct flavor compared to the other bag of the same brand.

These always look good. What kind of pepperoni do you use? Is it already pre cut, or do you cut it yourself?

It varies with each round of it. For the last few, and the next few, meals----it is Unsliced Boar's Head Hot/Spicy Sopressata, which is kind of like Pepperoni but a bit different and I guess slightly spicier. I don't have decent knives, so the slices tend to often wind up on the thicker side of things.

My pics will actually shift, a tad, starting week after this coming----Mom is heading off for vacation and I don't really have a general means out of the house. As such, some odd bits will be whipped up by me(Not some I'd hoped though, as the Farmer's Market was out and this was the last chance prior) and the cheese/meat front is going on reruns with some classic Sargento Premium Mix packs for those 3 and 1/2'ish weeks---the meat knocking back to that Air Cured Prosciutto from a ways back as it is pretty much "peel a slice off, eat, you're done" versus cutting something up. Granted, I'm sadly out of new cured meat to try and pretty bummed about it...may have to get over my reluctance of ordering online and take the plunge if anybody has any trustworthy recommendations?

MrBig

IMG_8865.jpg

1) garlic, onion, provolone, dried herbs, mozz
2) pepperoni, onion, mozz, alfredo, pastrami, chicago steak seasoning
3) onion, provolone, alfredo, dried herbs, mozz, pepperoni

e: sorry for the blurry picture. Had to get that last pizza in the oven fast
The pizza with the steak seasoning was amazing. Just the right amount of spice to it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I also made pizza (although I'm not a ridiculous chef like some of you :p ). Also I don't have a crazy camera, these were shot with my Droid X.

Pizza with Italian sausage, sautéed onions, portabello mushrooms, garlic, and fresh mozzarella and basil from the garden.

IMG_20110814_191507.jpg

IMG_20110814_193446.jpg

IMG_20110814_195106.jpg

IMG_20110814_195348.jpg

Zyzyxxz

First time trying to make chicken tikka masala, ended up not having enough sauce, just barely enough to coat the chicken. At least I know better for next time.

6044318481_40d8863ff6_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom