• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

otake said:
Golly, man. That looks good. What restaurant are you working in? I travel to LA every once in a while, I know you used to be in a food truck.

I was working in Rivera but I quite since I was unhappy there. Looking for work now somewhere else, waiting on a call back from this new Japanese place that will open up soon. Hoping I get that job.

totowhoa

Banned
That pizza looks awesome. I ended up not having a garden this year due to my busy schedule near the start of the season, but it ended up for the best given the crazy heat wave. I really miss grilling pizzas with fresh picked tomatoes and basil. Definitely won't be missing out on it next year.

CRS

Jmjybl.jpg

Breakfast anyone?

Fabiollo

Yesterday I made "maccheroni al ferretto", a tipical Italian home made pasta.

CHX2m.jpg

They are quick and fun, and they taste way better than dry, industrial pasta.
I cooked them as regular pasta (but they only need a minute to cook) and served them with a very simple sauce made with basil and fresh tomatoes. Simplicity ftw.

edit: sorry for the crappy picture

Zyzyxxz

No recipe I just kinda winged it.

I fried the pork after coating it in starch (potato is best but corn will work too) for 4-5 minutes, depends on the size.

The sauce was a combination of 1 part vinegar, 4 parts ketchup, 2 parts sugar, 1 part sweet chili sauce, and 1 part tomato sauce.

any recommendations/recipes for italian gravy and/or ravioli filling? was thinking of using the italian sausage and meatballs that cook in the sauce to then fill the ravioli...is that pretty standard?

Fabiollo

scissorfight said:
any recommendations/recipes for italian gravy and/or ravioli filling? was thinking of using the italian sausage and meatballs that cook in the sauce to then fill the ravioli...is that pretty standard?

If you want a meat ravioli filling:

- 200 g meat (beef and veal)
- 30 g ham
- 30 9 mortadella
- 1 egg
- parmesan cheese

Cook the meat for a few minutes: you don't want it to be completely raw. Put meat, ham and mortadella in a mixer. Mix. Add two spoons of parmesan, the egg, salt and a pinch of nutmeg. Stir. Put it in the fridge.

This is a very traditional ravioli filling.
----

If you want some vegetarian (but traditional) ravioli filling, try this:

-300 g ricotta cheese
-100 g spinach
-5 spoons of parmesan
- 1 egg

Boil the spinach, dry it, let it cool. Put ricotta and spinach in the mixer. Add the egg and the parmesan, stir, put it in the fride.

----

For the sauce, I'd recommend to try a very minimal yet tasty solution. Butter and sage, nothing more. It's one of the best ways to enjoy a well made raviolo.

Sorry for my culinary english. :)

Zyzyxxz said:
Sweet and sour pork time...

6053597304_bdb95e687c_b.jpg

6053046399_b19ab06c55_b.jpg

that actually looks like GOOD sweet and sour pork - rather then the bright orange shit served in take away shops.

When you say corn starch is that the same as corn flower? could you go into a bit more detail on preparation and recipe? that looks fantastic. what sort of pork is best to use for this? (not belly right?)

Zyzyxxz

Phat Michael said:
that actually looks like GOOD sweet and sour pork - rather then the bright orange shit served in take away shops.

When you say corn starch is that the same as corn flower? could you go into a bit more detail on preparation and recipe? that looks fantastic. what sort of pork is best to use for this? (not belly right?)

If you want to use starch then potato starch is best, in this picture I used tapioca starch which was pretty shitty. To be honest most restaurants do it with a batter and next time I'm going to try panko breading.

In the picture I used pork spare ribs because they were the only thing I had in the house but if I was shopping for it I'd buy shoulder, even though it will be chewy I love the flavor of the cut. Belly is not a bad option to be honest if you are willing to pay the premium I would braise it in either a very light stock or water with some aromats (onions, carrots, celery, bay leaf, peppercorns) and then let it dry in the fridge uncovered overnight. Then you bread/dust/coat it by whatever method suits you best.

Zyzyxxz

Deadly Cyclone said:
Yeah that's what I thought. Couldn't seem to find pine nuts at the grocery store though, and I don't really have one of those big fancy food processors with the spout to drizzle in olive oil.

Pesto doesn't have to be made with pine nuts, basil, parmesan, or whatever is called for in the master recipe, I've seen all sorts of variations.

watch this: http://www.chow.com/videos#!/show/all/54901/the-perfect-pesto

if it doesn't inspire you to make pesto then I don't know what will.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Zyzyxxz said:
I was working in Rivera but I quite since I was unhappy there. Looking for work now somewhere else, waiting on a call back from this new Japanese place that will open up soon. Hoping I get that job.

Let me know and I'll bring you some business. I typically go there to visit one of our resellers so it's at least a party of 3, maybe 4 and we always order wine.

Keen said:
Seems like NakedSushi who posts here had a bit of an adventure while in London...

http://www.runawaysquirrels.com/2011/08/london-riots-comes-to-the-ledbury/

Haha yeah that was definitely an experience to remember. I have faith that the London Metro Police will be able to recover my rings (one of them is engraved and the other one has a serial # on the diamond) so I guess all there is to do is wait. The response of the restaurant staff was fantastic and food was GREAT. I'll definitely go there again if I visit the city, except maybe I'll leave my valuables at home.

Deadly Cyclone said:
So I have a bunch of fresh basil I need to use before it goes bad, any easy/cheap recipes to use it with that you would all suggest?

Like a previous poster said, pesto. If you want to go the sweet route, you can also toss fresh basil with strawberries or chopped up watermelon for a simple fruit salad.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
nakedsushi said:
Haha yeah that was definitely an experience to remember. I have faith that the London Metro Police will be able to recover my rings (one of them is engraved and the other one has a serial # on the diamond) so I guess all there is to do is wait. The response of the restaurant staff was fantastic and food was GREAT. I'll definitely go there again if I visit the city, except maybe I'll leave my valuables at home.

Like a previous poster said, pesto. If you want to go the sweet route, you can also toss fresh basil with strawberries or chopped up watermelon for a simple fruit salad.
good to hear you are safe and sound. :)

OnkelC said:
good to hear you are safe and sound. :)

Yep, no one was physically hurt, although judging by how many people had the shakes and were crying after the incident, lots of people were very emotional about it. I think living in LA has desensitized me to these things. After the rioters left, I was ready to sit back down and complete my meal.

What surprised me the most is how much my blog post got written up about in the media. I even got interviewed on the today show! For about 2 seconds (1:00 mark) http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/44086958#44086958

Adam J.

Hey IronGaf, I have about a pound of fresh asparagus leftover from dinner tonight and can't really think of what to do with for tomorrow. Any ideas?

klee123

CrystalGemini said:
My mom taught me to make the congee so there are no real measurements or specific recipe. There are recipes online that seem ok though:

Recipe on allrecipes.com

Few notes on that recipe:
1. Never use ground black pepper on congee (wtf) - use white pepper powder
2. Don't use soy sauce (again wtf)
3. Oyster sauce too?! WUT?!
4. I've never seen a normal duck egg in my preserved egg congee, just the preserved egg
5. Almost certain you're going to need way more water than 5 cups

I would definitely try congee with thousand year egg first. It's a good start. They usually sell two kinds: hard yolk or soft yolk. We like to use the soft yolk because the flavors disperse better over time. It's one of those dishes that really taste better as leftovers.

EDIT - Another recipe from allrecipes.com
*better recipe but just use lean pork meat as opposed to the char sui (which isn't really normally used in this congee)

Yeah, soy sauce, black pepper and oyster sauce should NEVER be used for Congee.

Usually when I make congee, I use a 10-12:1 ratio of water to rice, depending on how thick you want the congee to be.

Also, when making pork congee, it's ideal to use salted pork ribs/bones. It really brings out the flavour. Salting the pork gives it a really nice flavour that unsalted pork could never provide.

A good alternative to duck egg is using raw peanuts, black eyes peas and dried fish. I typically prefer that over preserved duck egg.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
nakedsushi said:
Yep, no one was physically hurt, although judging by how many people had the shakes and were crying after the incident, lots of people were very emotional about it. I think living in LA has desensitized me to these things. After the rioters left, I was ready to sit back down and complete my meal.

What surprised me the most is how much my blog post got written up about in the media. I even got interviewed on the today show! For about 2 seconds (1:00 mark) http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/44086958#44086958
Good to hear you're ok! I'd be pissed about the missed meal as well :D

Fabiollo said:
If you want a meat ravioli filling:

- 200 g meat (beef and veal)
- 30 g ham
- 30 9 mortadella
- 1 egg
- parmesan cheese

Cook the meat for a few minutes: you don't want it to be completely raw. Put meat, ham and mortadella in a mixer. Mix. Add two spoons of parmesan, the egg, salt and a pinch of nutmeg. Stir. Put it in the fridge.

This is a very traditional ravioli filling.
----

If you want some vegetarian (but traditional) ravioli filling, try this:

-300 g ricotta cheese
-100 g spinach
-5 spoons of parmesan
- 1 egg

Boil the spinach, dry it, let it cool. Put ricotta and spinach in the mixer. Add the egg and the parmesan, stir, put it in the fride.

----

For the sauce, I'd recommend to try a very minimal yet tasty solution. Butter and sage, nothing more. It's one of the best ways to enjoy a well made raviolo.

Sorry for my culinary english. :)
thanks for the recipes! i'll try these out. i will probably give this sauce recipe a shot as well. i do like them plain w/butter, but i've been wanting to do a real sauce lately. will try it both ways.

luoapp

RatskyWatsky said:
So, frozen fish. Is it good? Fresh is obviously preferable, but for people who don't live anywhere near fresh water, is it an option?

Unless you want them sushi style, I think they are good enough.

totowhoa

Banned
RatskyWatsky said:
So, frozen fish. Is it good? Fresh is obviously preferable, but for people who don't live anywhere near fresh water, is it an option?

Really depends man. There is crappy frozen fish out there for sure. I'm down with frozen uncooked shrimp (you can still tell the difference, though). Also, Sam's Club sells the best frozen salmon fillets I've had and they're a good price. They also sell some really good cod fillets (makes some amazing fish and chips with a good batter). Target sells a whole salmon (around a pound I think?) for about seven bucks here. I've liked it the best out of any whole salmons I've found.

I've personally never liked frozen tilapia (wtf, Chrome says this is not a word?) that I liked, although I'm not a big fan of it anyway. I'm not sure that I've had any other frozen fish.

adam.chance said:
Does anyone have a good recipe for meatloaf? I am looking to add some flavor to it (nothing spicy). I usually just mix ketchup, crackers, and ground beef.

For some reason I missed this the last few times I've been in the thread. Here's what I use as a base for my meatloaf:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/brown-sugar-meatloaf/detail.aspx

There are a few of changes that *need* to be made to that recipe. Reading the top rated reviews will give you a head start there. From then on, feel free to make any adjustments. It makes a fucking great meatloaf.

My understanding is if you get frozen fish, it's better to get it whole. Not sure why though.

I made Thai green curry with vegetables last night. Since it had to be vegetarian, I used chopped up jackfruit and seitan in lieu of meat. Ingredients for the curry: green curry paste (from a can, I'm so lazy), okra, carrot, onions, cabbage, red bell pepper, fresno chili pepper, thai chili pepper, jackfruit, seitan, coconut milk.

I think I went overboard with the chilis because I couldn't taste anything, oops.

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
My understanding is if you get frozen fish, it's better to get it whole. Not sure why though.

Not sure so don't quote me but I assume its because the fish that is whole is usually flash frozen at sea so no harm in that.

Fish that has been filleted may have been previously frozen, then filleted and refrozen but it can vary greatly depending on sources. There is also greater chance of frost burn too unless the portions are individually vacuum sealed.

jYwWU.jpg

Managed one more totally new cheese before my Sargento-fueled reruns begins next time around!

Cheese: Hittisau
Crumble: Lay's Natural Hot & Spicy BBQ

This is one very oily cheese when melting, which it does decently enough I suppose. It has a very...light...taste to it, really good outright. Bit of a thick rind on the outer part of it that doesn't take to kindly to melting attempts in general, but I managed to get enough of it off to not foil the meal.

My next pic or few will likely be something not-pizza---though what exactly I'm unsure of at present...

Not really cooking, but whipped up a quick lunch while in Italy with some market-fresh tomatoes and bread from the bakery. We didn't have any salt or oil in the place we were staying at, but the tomatoes didn't even need them.

It's too bad we can't get good tomatoes like these here in the states.

totowhoa

Banned
nakedsushi said:
Not really cooking, but whipped up a quick lunch while in Italy with some market-fresh tomatoes and bread from the bakery. We didn't have any salt or oil in the place we were staying at, but the tomatoes didn't even need them.

It's too bad we can't get good tomatoes like these here in the states.

Ah, that looks delicious! I plan on grilling some tomatoes tomorrow. Yummy.

Growing my own tomatoes, herbs, and spinach was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Such little hassle and so tasty. I've grown plenty of other things, but those were what really justified the effort.

Zyzyxxz said:
Not sure so don't quote me but I assume its because the fish that is whole is usually flash frozen at sea so no harm in that.

Fish that has been filleted may have been previously frozen, then filleted and refrozen but it can vary greatly depending on sources. There is also greater chance of frost burn too unless the portions are individually vacuum sealed.

Yeah should have mentioned that earlier: I wouldn't buy fish fillets that were not sold like this, unless you were going to buy a package of two or three and just make them all.

Sklorenz said:
Ah, that looks delicious! I plan on grilling some tomatoes tomorrow. Yummy.

Growing my own tomatoes, herbs, and spinach was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Such little hassle and so tasty. I've grown plenty of other things, but those were what really justified the effort.

Yes, growing tomatoes is definitely worth it if you have the space. They're getting *so* expensive to get good ones at the market now. But I have a question about tomato plants. Do they die after one year, so that you'll have to get a new plant for the next growing season, or can you just keep them alive and they'll produce fruit the next year. I'm in LA btw, so no need to worry about them freezing.

totowhoa

Banned
nakedsushi said:
Yes, growing tomatoes is definitely worth it if you have the space. They're getting *so* expensive to get good ones at the market now. But I have a question about tomato plants. Do they die after one year, so that you'll have to get a new plant for the next growing season, or can you just keep them alive and they'll produce fruit the next year. I'm in LA btw, so no need to worry about them freezing.

Yeah, I have a very small backyard, but it's big enough for a grill and some plants. My balcony also works for me too (but it gets much less sunlight). I do believe tomatoes are perennials in the right environment, but certainly not where I live. You should definitely give it a shot! I make a lot of tomato-based things, so I can go through a ton of them if I decide to avoid cans, so I hate paying for them

Zyzyxxz

Sklorenz said:
Yeah should have mentioned that earlier: I wouldn't buy fish fillets that were not sold like this, unless you were going to buy a package of two or three and just make them all.

Well like I also said it will greatly vary from supplier and grocer.

I've seen good quality batch frozen fish but it I say give it a try after some close scrutiny, if the pieces look properly frozen its worth the risk. Just know how to spot freezer burn.

Also I just got me a Kitchenaid stand mixer, Pro 450 model in a nice flat black color. Time to make some bread.

MrBig

I'm looking for my first job and there a few part-time pizza making positions open around me, but they all have wood/brick ovens and hand toss their dough. I can spread and top a pie in about 2 minutes, but I have always worked with a roller. The dough I usually make (based off of Rhinehart's) seems to be too tough and resistant to work with without a roller, so can I get a good new york style dough someone uses?

The one place I walked into and made a pizza with prepared it like this. When I tried it with them their dough was a lot easier to work with but I really need to practice the technique more myself.

The oven seemed pretty straight forward but any advice anyone has with them is welcome. I usually just use my electric oven and a pizza stone.

Never had a yorkshire pudding but it looks good. The only time I've ever seen one before was on tv on the Ramsays Kitchen Nightmares from the UK (the only real Kitchen Nightmares). They went to that roadside restaurant where the old guy with the big beard ran the place and was more concerned with the crockery than the service. What do they taste like? Are they sweet?

ChanHuk

Banned
Made a simple tomato bruschetta with some heirloom tomatoes I bought from the farmer's market. Probably one of the most simple most amazing things to eat because you really just taste all the simple individual ingredients.

On another note, I need sandwichGAF to form. Need to start taking lunches to school/work to save money. I figured sandwiches are a good place to start since I won't always have access to a microwave to heat things up.

Shawsie64

Banned
Maklershed said:
Never had a yorkshire pudding but it looks good. The only time I've ever seen one before was on tv on the Ramsays Kitchen Nightmares from the UK (the only real Kitchen Nightmares). They went to that roadside restaurant where the old guy with the big beard ran the place and was more concerned with the crockery than the service. What do they taste like? Are they sweet?

Not sweet, slightly salty but not to much.. God like when combined with nice gravy and a roast :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom