• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ElectricThunder said:
jYwWU.jpg

Managed one more totally new cheese before my Sargento-fueled reruns begins next time around!

Cheese: Hittisau
Crumble: Lay's Natural Hot & Spicy BBQ

This is one very oily cheese when melting, which it does decently enough I suppose. It has a very...light...taste to it, really good outright. Bit of a thick rind on the outer part of it that doesn't take to kindly to melting attempts in general, but I managed to get enough of it off to not foil the meal.

My next pic or few will likely be something not-pizza---though what exactly I'm unsure of at present...

Wow "US style" pizza with cheese from Vorarlberg - that seems like an odd combination. Have to try it sometime for myself.

systemfehler said:
Wow "US style" pizza with cheese from Vorarlberg - that seems like an odd combination. Have to try it sometime for myself.

If a cheese melts, and sometimes even if it doesn't, the world must learn that it probably has a place in pizza!

For ones that get oily like this, I've lately found myself thinking that they'd work especially well in a Calzone or Stromboli as they would lock in all that messy liquid goodness along with whatever herbs/spices/other stuff for a flavour explosion upon biting into it---or horribly burning one's mouth...

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Zyzyxxz said:
I've seen good quality batch frozen fish but it I say give it a try after some close scrutiny, if the pieces look properly frozen its worth the risk. Just know how to spot freezer burn.

How do you spot freezer burn?

Sklorenz said:
Also, Sam's Club sells the best frozen salmon fillets I've had and they're a good price. They also sell some really good cod fillets

And these are the store brand?

Zyzyxxz

RatskyWatsky said:
How do you spot freezer burn?

For some reason I can't find a picture on Google images but basically you want to the fish to look compact, if it appears looks or "shredded" looking then it will become more apparent when you defrost.

It shouldn't be too much of a problem but it doesn't hurt to look at what you buy before you throw it in your cart.

Zyzyxxz said:
For some reason I can't find a picture on Google images but basically you want to the fish to look compact, if it appears looks or "shredded" looking then it will become more apparent when you defrost.

It shouldn't be too much of a problem but it doesn't hurt to look at what you buy before you throw it in your cart.

Also, you can sniff at the package. If the outside smells like stale ice (what I associate with freezer burn), then the inside probably will too.

I've been having a lot of tomato pasta lately since it's now tomato season and I want to take advantage of abundant tomatoes! Got these San Marzanos from the farmer's market, but they were kind of mediocre. Some of them were really mealy and one was so dry and crunchy, I thought I was eating a bell pepper when I was chopping it. Luckily, after cooking them in some garlic and olive oil, they tasted much better.

A trick that I finally picked up in cooking pasta that has Changed Everything (tm) is to undercook it (so that it's still a little white inside) in the water. Then drain it and dump it into the pan with the sauce and finish cooking in the sauce, adding a little pasta water as you go if it gets too dry. It really makes a difference!

Shawsie64

Banned
Had pan fried Atlantic Salmon last night

IMAG0289.jpg

IMAG0294.jpg

IMAG0295-1.jpg

Melted some Lurpak butter and a drop of oil, salted the skin and threw it on the pan, drizzled a drop of lemon juice over the top when done

Was delicious :)

Shawsie64 said:
Sunday pork belly roast with Yorkshire puddings and sweet potato and chives mash

308704_10150276182828611_729593610_7752342_2053341_n.jpg

I just got home late from work and I'm drooling like crazy looking at this picture. I've never tried Yorkshire Pudding before, or even heard of it until I saw an episode of The F Word, but they look delicious.

Shawsie64

Banned
PartlyCloudlike said:
I just got home late from work and I'm drooling like crazy looking at this picture. I've never tried Yorkshire Pudding before, or even heard of it until I saw an episode of The F Word, but they look delicious.

They are easy to make;

290 ml milk
115 g flour
1 pinch salt
3 eggs

Pre heat oven to 220 ºC (428 ºF)

Put around half a teaspoon of oil in each cup of your muffin tray.

Put muffin tray in oven to heat up.

Mix your batter.

When muffin tray is hot (very) and oil fluid half fill your trays (how full depends on size of tray of course) and put in oven for 20 odd minutes.

Came back from a week in Corfu where the food was incredible. One thing that stood out in particular was this -

jOue4.jpg

Tiropitakia.

Small cheese pies. Fried and wrapped in filo pastry. Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze, they were incredible. I think most of the restaurants used feta but one used halloumi and had a sweet honey sauce dripped over it.

MNC

Man, I haven't looked through this thread in ages. It's morning, and already these foods are making my mouth water. Never stop guys! :D

Shawsie64 said:

IMAG0294.jpg

Melted some Lurpak butter and a drop of oil, salted the skin and threw it on the pan, drizzled a drop of lemon juice over the top when done

Was delicious :)

Yes please! Great fish needs nothing more than some salt, a drop of oil, and a drizzle of lemon after. This looks great. Makes me wish I cooked fish more often or at all.

Flo_Evans

These did not turn out as well as I would of liked, but I though I would share anyway!

Light above table was burnt out, it was hot, and my date was getting pissed I was messing with the camera so much!

Enough excuses!

Conch Fritters:
K1ta2.jpg

OMFG. I could literally eat these until my heart exploded.

Blue plate salad:
wsWgq.jpg

soooooo good. Citrus mustard vinaigrette. so fresh!

Mushroom salad:
RSxdZ.jpg

Not as good (to me) but still pretty amazing. Very earthy!

Ribeye:
eCsGi.jpg

I thought I knew how to cook a steak. I was wrong. Or I don't get very good steaks from my butcher :mad:

Succotash:
j0oAl.jpg

Gypsy peppers, local edamame, corn, okra, tomatoes, amethyst eggplant, local tomato merlot sauce, spoonbread... wow

Halibut:
w8OM0.jpg

Somewhere beneath the fried okra is a fish!

Dessert:
vUzcO.jpg

House made icecream and apple tart. <homersimpsondrool.jpg>

It was my birthday, but instead of a piece of cake they bring you a candle stuck in a can of Busch! STL!:
aCNi3.jpg

and just in case you where wondering, the Busch is served at 30F! lol!
8qhMu.jpg

This was @ http://farmhausrestaurant.com/

If you ever find yourself within 100 miles of St. Louis, take the detour and go here.

It is ran by the amazing Kevin Willmann, my new personal hero.

edit: I forgot the best part, it is 3 blocks away from my house! Bonus!

totowhoa

Banned
RatskyWatsky said:
And these are the store brand?

C. Wirthy & Co. Atlantic Salmon center cut fillets.

I would have said what they were earlier but I couldn't remember. Just happened to pick some up the other day, though. They have a number of other salmon fillets there, but most are already in sauce and other things like that. I've never bothered trying any of those

Zyzyxxz

Flo_Evans said:
These did not turn out as well as I would of liked, but I though I would share anyway!

Light above table was burnt out, it was hot, and my date was getting pissed I was messing with the camera so much!

Wow that looks great! I get pissed at these fine dining concepts now that have super dim lighting so I feel your pain. It annoys the hell out of me since I like to be able to see my food, and much more at least photograph it!

I recently ate at Ilan Hall's (winner of Top Chef Season 2) The Gorbals and I thought it was pretty decent, its a shame I didn't get any pictures since it was literally dark.

CRS

Lasagna!

The meat filling consisted of ground beef, onion, mushroom, heirloom tomatoes, marinara sauce, and seasonings.

Used parmesan and mozzarella for the cheese. (Only parmesan pictured.)

And for layer on top, provolone and more mozzarella.

The finished product.

Shadow780

Shawsie64 said:

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy185/shawsie64/IMAG0289.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy185/shawsie64/IMAG0294.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy185/shawsie64/IMAG0295-1.jpg[IMG]

Was delicious :)[/QUOTE]

This looks amazing, how many minutes each side?

Lemon and fish, godly combination.

Seam

Banned
nakedsushi said:
Also, you can sniff at the package. If the outside smells like stale ice (what I associate with freezer burn), then the inside probably will too.

A trick that I finally picked up in cooking pasta that has Changed Everything (tm) is to undercook it (so that it's still a little white inside) in the water. Then drain it and dump it into the pan with the sauce and finish cooking in the sauce, adding a little pasta water as you go if it gets too dry. It really makes a difference!

I can attest to this, my dad does it also and its great.

Shawsie64

Banned
Shadow780 said:
This looks amazing, how many minutes each side?

Lemon and fish, godly combination.

I usually just cook it skin down until around a quarter of the side of the fillet is pinkish then flip it and do the same.. Then rest it for a few mins to let it finish :)

ChldRebelSoldr said:

Haha, great lasagna. I like eating lasagna, but I don't like making it. It just seems like too much work for a "1-pot" meal. Cooking the noodles, cooking the filling, stacking it, etc. I'm lazy when it comes to pasta, I guess.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Sklorenz said:
C. Wirthy & Co. Atlantic Salmon center cut fillets.

I would have said what they were earlier but I couldn't remember. Just happened to pick some up the other day, though. They have a number of other salmon fillets there, but most are already in sauce and other things like that. I've never bothered trying any of those

Thanks.

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
Haha, great lasagna. I like eating lasagna, but I don't like making it. It just seems like too much work for a "1-pot" meal. Cooking the noodles, cooking the filling, stacking it, etc. I'm lazy when it comes to pasta, I guess.
Key ingredient to make your life easier, "no cook lasagna sheets"

Flo_Evans

lasagna?

My mom likes to make a similar but different dish "Stuffed Shells" probably a proper name for it...

iGcB0.jpg

They are filled with ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan and a little egg. Toped with a standard red meat sauce. Soo good.

Went to brunch this morning

pancakes:
f3twQ.jpg

& a bacon+egg+tomato+avocado+cheese sandwich
yncRS.jpg

:)

I promise I will make something myself soon :p

That lasagna looks so awesome----one day I will make a pizza one of some sort! Shoot, I've only ever had lasagna twice in my entire life, a meaty one a friend's mom had a secret recipe for, and no other one elsewhere looked appetizing that I've come across. Most aren't even meaty!

Had beef pepperoni tonight on a superb pizza....at an Indian/Asian/MiddleEastern place. Wasn't even the special Halal variety they apparently had either---but good grief it was delicious.

They even have freaking mutton...I can finally try mutton at long last next time I get there!

And then convince them to add it on a pizza...mwahaha...

Silkworm

Zyzyxxz said:
According to this Chow article: http://www.chow.com/digest/62546/no-worry-no-boil-lasagne/

Soaking in hot water for a bit makes it easier, although its one step away from boiling I think its still alot less hassle.
Hmm, I recently made a vegetable lasagna recipe from Cook's Illustrated using Barilla's no-boil lasagna noodles and everything seemed to turn out okay (and I didn't even pre-soak the noodles). Of course I might be less picky about the texture of the noodles than others, but then again there was ample tomato sauce and vegetables involved such that none of the noodles were exposed while baking the lasagna. Also thank-goodness the tomato sauce and cream sauce used in the recipe didn't require cooking as it took long enough as is to get everything together. My chopping/mincing skills are pathetic which means prepping the vegetables took way longer than it should have *sigh* :p Still, I was pleased with the final product :)

VanWinkle

I have a question for you pizza connoisseurs out there. I have been making pizza for the past couple months with a pizza stone. Tastes delightful. Anyway, the past couple of times I've made it, the bottom is so greasy that the crust doesn't hold up well and isn't crisp like it was before. The only changes I can think of that I made recently is using flour instead of cornmeal on the dough ball as I'm rolling it out (I still put cornmeal on the pizza peel though), and I've been doing cheese stuffed crust, but the part of the crust at the end with the cheese stuffed in it is not even greasy on the bottom. Oh, and I also put the pepperoni under the cheese now, but I don't see how that could effect the bottom of the pizza.

Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

Edit: Actually, I've also been taking it from the stone to an aluminum pizza pan right after it gets out. Could that contribute to it?

MrBig

VanWinkle said:
Edit: Actually, I've also been taking it from the stone to an aluminum pizza pan right after it gets out. Could that contribute to it?
When I make my pizza I just pull out the stone and let it finish cooking on the stone for a few minutes after taking it out of the oven. That could have a lot to do with it. Otherwise I do stuffed crust as well, but I use breadcrumbs in place of cornmeal because it works just as well as or better than cornmeal in getting it off the peal and I'm not a fan of the contrasting flavor cornmeal has.

e: now that I think about it, this last batch I made I placed one of the pizzas on an aluminum pan directly after baking and it was notably softer on the bottom than the other two which has a couple minutes each to cool on the stone.

Friends, I have come into possession of more blue cheese than I should like to own. It's a creamy blue cheese--a cambozola to be exact. I've already done the steak with blue cheese thing. I'd like to make something else. Preferably as low-carb as possible. I was thinking broccoli with a blue cheese sauce, but I'd like to hear more.

Made some beans last night. It was my first time cooking dried beans. It was so easy, I don't know why I didn't do it before. Just dried beans, sage, garlic, and water and it came out great!

6084606264_6d81859462.jpg

Zyzyxxz

fadetoblack said:
Friends, I have come into possession of more blue cheese than I should like to own. It's a creamy blue cheese--a cambozola to be exact. I've already done the steak with blue cheese thing. I'd like to make something else. Preferably as low-carb as possible. I was thinking broccoli with a blue cheese sauce, but I'd like to hear more.

At my last job there was this desert we made that was a very interesting savory/sweet dish.

It was dark chocolate shavings, slices of bananas, blue cheese slices, and some honey I believe.

VanWinkle said:
Yeah, I'm starting to think that taking it off the stone too fast after it's out of the oven is the problem.

As an aside though, Semolina flour can also work decently as a cornmeal substitute on that front---better than any other flour I've heard tale of at least.

MrBig

pizza pizza pizza in my pizza hole

IMG_8907.jpg

moz, onion, peperroni

I found that this dough was much easier to work with by hand after having multiple rises. I made the dough on wednseday and it rose once each day after I beat it down in the morning.

Zyzyxxz

Wall of pictures incoming! First new update in a while, so I got a KitchenAid mixer.

6088287328_0a4522bb67_b.jpg

Now for some food:

Seared ankimo (monkfish liver) and uni chirashi bowl
6087740697_3fd6b1012e_b.jpg

Hoisin glazed spareribs
6087740891_cce8906a4b_b.jpg

6088287526_55d2e36ea4_b.jpg

Chicken pot pie cooked in the cast iron pan:
Making the bechamel
6088287556_a43130b0c6_b.jpg

6088287644_b48659fcfd_b.jpg

6088287708_eb9f729554_b.jpg

Tonight made some chicken parmaggiana from leftover tomato sauce and random stuff around the house.
6087741305_01a8b54844_b.jpg

Money shot:
6087741383_8717759e89_b.jpg

Shawsie64

Banned
That pie looks delicious! All of it looks great :)

Was at parents house over the weekend visiting relatives from Sydney. Made Fettucuinne and meatballs, grilled some corn, sweet potato and carrots and fried some thinly cut potato

IMAG0378-1.jpg

IMAG0374-1.jpg

IMAG0369-1.jpg

Bonus pic, this is my Mums dog watching us eat:

299598_10150433686923504_627963503_11139633_5585616_n.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Zyxxyzyz, congrats on the KitchenAid! You wanted it for so long, fine that you got it at last. How are your first impressions with it? I had, coming from a hand mixer, to readjust my whipping/beating habits to a greater extent than I imagined beforehand.

Everybody else, thanks to all of you for the wonderful contributions, you make me proud. Keep it coming!

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
Zyxxyzyz, congrats on the KitchenAid! You wanted it for so long, fine that you got it at last. How are your first impressions with it? I had, coming from a hand mixer, to readjust my whipping/beating habits to a greater extent than I imagined beforehand.

Everybody else, thanks to all of you for the wonderful contributions, you make me proud. Keep it coming!

One of the problems of having worked in a top notch kitchen is that we had all the tools to play with so comparing this 4.5 quart mixer to a 10 gallon Hobart makes it seem kind of small and weak. Then again I realized I don't bake too much.

I bought a meat grinder attachment for it so I can make my own burgers and eventually grind my own nixtamal to make fresh tortillas for tacos. The break hook makes kneading dough something I won't have to do again since I suck at it and this provides consistent results such as the pie crust for that chicken pot pie above.

DJ_Lae

Zyzyxxz said:
I bought a meat grinder attachment for it so I can make my own burgers and eventually grind my own nixtamal to make fresh tortillas for tacos. The break hook makes kneading dough something I won't have to do again since I suck at it and this provides consistent results such as the pie crust for that chicken pot pie above.

I've used my meat grinder a fair amount (it's great) but my Kitchenaid sees most of its use for kneading bread. There is something nice about doing it by hand, but those ten minutes could be better spent working on something else while the mixer just goes at it.

Plus, less mess on the counter.

If I had one complaint it's that having a black mixer makes it pretty obvious whenever flour puffs up out of the bowl or I miss while pouring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom