• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zyzyxxz said:
Seared ankimo (monkfish liver) and uni chirashi bowl
6087740697_3fd6b1012e_b.jpg

OMG, decadent! Looks delicious. Congrats on the Kitchenaid btw!

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
OMG, decadent! Looks delicious. Congrats on the Kitchenaid btw!

Yup thanks, I'm glad I got it because it inspired me to clean up my kitchen, I have a fair amount of counter space, enough to knead dough or break down a super big fish but it's been clogged up by useless sauce bottles and stuff.

The chirashi bowl was super decadent but in retrospect I had wished I added some sort of acidity to it to help lighten it up.

Mexx

Neo Member
RatskyWatsky said:
What is inside the zucchini?
Beef, baked with cheese and mozarella. And then sauce with cooked tomatos, onion, leek, garlic, oregano, salt and maggi. Then, blend all that stuff for the sauce. This sauce is universal, You can have it on pizza for example.

CrankyJay

Banned
My Weber bullet smoker arrived. Still gathering stuff that I need.

That includes hickory wood chunks (not chips), charcoal, a Weber Rapid Fire chimney starter ... going to NYC this week so hopefully next week I can try smoking something. Might start with chicken to ease into the process.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I've got one of those kitchen aid mixers, the bigger one. That thing works. My g/f just made red velvet cupcakes last night with it. It makes noise but the results are worth it.

Zyzyxxz said:
Yup thanks, I'm glad I got it because it inspired me to clean up my kitchen, I have a fair amount of counter space, enough to knead dough or break down a super big fish but it's been clogged up by useless sauce bottles and stuff.

The chirashi bowl was super decadent but in retrospect I had wished I added some sort of acidity to it to help lighten it up.

Maybe some yuzu ponzu with the chirashi bowl for that little bit of acid.

I'm on the same boat with counter space. Tons of it, but it's cluttered. I don't like to knead dough on it though, because it's a pain to clean up all the flour afterward. Do you have a secret to that, or do you just kinda bench-scraper it into the sink?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Had to use the slider buns I had leftover from our Chipotle Bacon Hamburger sliders last weekend so I made chipotle salmon sliders this weekend with chipotle peppers added into the salmon patty and topped with spicy mustard (store bought).

IMG_20110827_185701.jpg

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
Maybe some yuzu ponzu with the chirashi bowl for that little bit of acid.

I'm on the same boat with counter space. Tons of it, but it's cluttered. I don't like to knead dough on it though, because it's a pain to clean up all the flour afterward. Do you have a secret to that, or do you just kinda bench-scraper it into the sink?

I have two kitchens at my house, one that came with the house and a 2nd one we built in the back when we expanded it. It has a long counter that I can just squeegee everything off the ledge and into the trash when I work messy.

One thing I do more often though is I have a half sheet tray which is a decent size (I recommend everyone to have at least two in their house) and I work inside it since it has a little bit of a lip it keeps most of the flour inside it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Mexx said:
Beef, baked with cheese and mozarella. And then sauce with cooked tomatos, onion, leek, garlic, oregano, salt and maggi. Then, blend all that stuff for the sauce. This sauce is universal, You can have it on pizza for example.

Sounds good.

totowhoa

Banned
Hey GAF. Haven't posted for a several days because I set my black camera on my black keyboard that hasn't been played much recently and it blended in quite well for a bit. Still trying to get the hang of this camera, too :p Here was last night's dinner:

Grilled pork tenderloin. It marinated overnight in pineapple juice, then the next day I made a rub using a few dried spices and some brown sugar, but I also tried including a couple chipotle peppers and adobo sauce (I love that stuff), and I let that sit for a couple hours as well. Results were extremely tasty, some of the best pork tenderloin I've personally had:

Porktenderloin.jpg

I also grilled some vegetable skewers. Slightly salted. One of my favorite ways to eat veggies:

Veggieskewers.jpg

I also tried dutch potatoes for the first time. I'd never heard of them, but I was trying to find a new way to prepare potatoes as a side dish. This is 1 part carrots and 1 parts potatoes (yukon gold for me) mashed, along with sour cream, salt, and carmelized onions mixed together. I'm not sure if this is a traditional dutch potato dish or not, DutchGAF, but I decided to add some garlic and bacon so it's even less authentic now I'm sure

Onions, garlic, and bacon (yum):

DutchPotatoespt1.jpg

Everything mashed up and ready for mixing.

DutchPotatoespt2.jpg

And dinner:

TenderloinDinner.jpg

Sat back with my fiance and watched a movie together while eating dinner, had a few drinks, then hit the sack. A good evening for sure. Also, those potatoes were goddamn amazing. That's definitely going to be how I make my mashed potatoes for a while.

Sklorenz said:
And dinner:

TenderloinDinner.jpg

Sat back with my fiance and watched a movie together while eating dinner, had a few drinks, then hit the sack. A good evening for sure. Also, those potatoes were goddamn amazing. That's definitely going to be how I make my mashed potatoes for a while.

Looks great! Especially the grilled veggies. That's one of my favorite ways to eat them too. Toss them with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and they're done.

One of my guilty pleasures is watching TV while eating dinner. Does anyone else do that? We only do it a couple nights a week because it feels so trashy =)

totowhoa

Banned
nakedsushi said:
One of my guilty pleasures is watching TV while eating dinner. Does anyone else do that? We only do it a couple nights a week because it feels so trashy =)

Haha it depends on our mood. It's about 50/50 whether we eat at the table or watch something in the living room. Usually netflix or an HBO show.

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
Looks great! Especially the grilled veggies. That's one of my favorite ways to eat them too. Toss them with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and they're done.

If I am eating by myself or eating lunch with just my bros then we will. No shame as long as its not like The Simpsons and you are eating frozen TV dinners on those dinner trays.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just sorta invented some cookies

1 cup grape nuts
2 cup oats
2 apples (cooked down into applesauce with cinnamon)
3/4 to 1 cup of flour
stick of butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
pinch of salt
teaspoon of baking soda

lots of cinnamon, i put 2 sticks in a coffee grinder and just threw them in. was wanting to grate some fresh ginger in it, but i somehow lost my ginger, lol

bake them at ~350 for 5 to 10 minutes. just enough to kinda brown the bottoms of them

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I made an amazing meat sauce last night. Had it with a 2007 allegrini. Superb. Will never go back to ragu.

Quake with fear IronGAF.

khvVe.jpg

There were things I forgot to do in a timely manner/wise order of operations, and half of it went cold before I could finish due to an important phone call, but all in all I don't think I'll be poisoned by anything.

Soba noodles, grated romano, cajun seasoning, my special sauce, bit of prosciutto, corn bread ' butter

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
nakedsushi said:
It was really easy to make, but so, so, so good. Since it took less than an hour, I'll definitely add this to my weekly dinner rotation.

How do you make the radish soup? It looks great.

Edit: Oh, duh. I didn't see the link.

Zyzyxxz said:
whoa, this is the first I've seen you do something that wasn't pizza!

Heh, I did warn the thread!

These soba noodles are a favorite of mine, in that they showcased to me for the first time that buckwheat is pretty well delicious on top of healthy---works well in pancakes as well.

Finding out the prosciutto works especially well with it, or maybe it was with the buttered cornbread and it, was also nifty and new to me.

I was tempted to grab a pic of some Buffalo Franks done up "cheese-dog" style back on Monday, but I stupidly put the cheese inside the gap instead of on top of it and let the nature of heat and gravity handle the rest---will avenge myself next week probably as I've the last pair of buns/franks still in the freezer!

thespot84

Anyone have any experience with rosted leek? Made some tonight and the flavor was great but they were really chwwy/hard to eat. am I doing something wrong?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Low and slow is a good rule for cooking plenty of things, including leeks. Make sure that you're only using the lower white and light green portion of the leek and not the tougher dark green portion further up the stalk, and much like broccoli or celery, you can also peel off the first layer or two of the main edible section if it feels like it'll be too tough.

I generally prefer them cut into rings (around 1/3" thick) and slowly sauteed in some butter or olive oil until the leeks have softened significantly but not quite caramelized.

thespot84

Cosmic Bus said:
Low and slow is a good rule for cooking plenty of things, including leeks. Make sure that you're only using the lower white and light green portion of the leek and not the tougher dark green portion further up the stalk, and much like broccoli or celery, you can also peel off the first layer or two of the main edible section if it feels like it'll be too tough.

I generally prefer them cut into rings (around 1/3" thick) and slowly sauteed in some butter or olive oil until the leeks have softened significantly but not quite caramelized.

thx, i'll give that a shot next time around.

Zyzyxxz said:
I was feeling like a pasta too, carbonara, but I realized I had no heavy cream.

So I tried to Asian-fy it by using coconut cream and cooking the pasta is lemongrass infused water. Came out ok but I need to do something to the coconut cream and to find a way to get more lemongrass flavor into the pasta.

Huh, you make carbonara with cream? I only use eggs. I think the non-cream way to do it is eggs + parmesan + bacon/pancetta.

edit: and a crapton of crushed black pepper =)

thespot84

nakedsushi said:
Huh, you make carbonara with cream? I only use eggs. I think the non-cream way to do it is eggs + parmesan + bacon/pancetta.

i tend to use a bit of milk actually for carbonara, it's a nice compromise.

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:

No cheese in the house either so I had to substitute.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Zyzyxxz said:
No cheese in the house either so I had to substitute.
heavy cream is a bad substitute. Not to sound snobbish, but carbonara is made from nothing else than pancetta or lardo, pecorino/grana padano, eggs and crushed black pepper.. I usually take five whole eggs and five more yolks for a pound of pasta.

Edit: your prep reminded me a lot of one of my childhood faves, though :)
cook and strain Fusilli, add butter, eggs, dill, cooked ham and Maggi to the pasta pot and reinsert the pasta. stir a minute and serve, delish! Soul Food, German Style....

Deadly Cyclone said:
Always been wary of gazpacho because cold soup sounds odd, is it easy to make?

I've never made it, only ate it. I'm still wary of it. Sometimes it just tastes like drinking salsa to me. If you like salsa, then that's good.

n0n44m

applecrumblewj5y.jpg

phone cam so not very sharp, but anyways it's some god like APPLE CRUMBLE ... I love everything with apples in it (except the company lol) and the orange-flavoured dough is just awesome

recipe:

100g butter, 100g flour, 100g sugar -> mix with your hands into dough, then add 75g crushed pecan nuts and the shavings of one orange's skin (don't let it touch any plastic or it will be orange colored for months). Mix it some more and the dough is done.

Skin & dice 500g worth of apples, then dice 100g of dried date (remove the seeds first). Add in a bit of cinnamon and 2 spoons of brown sugar, mix it in a bowl.

Butter up an oven dish, throw in the apple mixture, then divide the dough on top in little chunks. Thirty minutes in a 180c oven and you're done :) [four large, six normal portions]

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Flo_Evans said:
Chicken enchiladas! mmmmm

Wow those look delicious and would make me very hungry if I did not just have my smiley face pizza.

IMG_20110902_113341.jpg

The outside crust didn't get as crispy as I would have liked. I should have let it prebake in the oven a bit longer and brushed it with garlic butter before adding toppings. It was edible though.

Zyzyxxz

Flo_Evans said:
Grilled some steaks for lunch:

Often I will sous vide my steaks especially if I am cooking several to ensure consistency among each one but I admit despite the scientific approach nothing still beats a coal/woodfired steak!

I'm getting really tired of my propane grill and plan to replace it with the biggest Weber one touch I can find.

Flo_Evans

Zyzyxxz said:
Often I will sous vide my steaks especially if I am cooking several to ensure consistency among each one but I admit despite the scientific approach nothing still beats a coal/woodfired steak!

I'm getting really tired of my propane grill and plan to replace it with the biggest Weber one touch I can find.

These where rushed a bit. Could of benefited from some time to get to room temp and some in an oven to get the middle all the way to temp.

I've never done sous vide, I always see it on cooking shows and want to try it but then I just fire up the grill and do it the way I know how. :p

Big Chungus

First time making tortillas, they came out small, or maybe i'm just used to the large Supermarket kind.

They taste so damn good though...

Thanks Robert Rodriguez!

tFUmc.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Since I butchered my carbonara the other day decided to do it the right way with egg yolks and parmesan. I added shallots and garlic in addition to the pancetta.

6107323696_1d44c68bd0_b.jpg

Flo_Evans said:
These where rushed a bit. Could of benefited from some time to get to room temp and some in an oven to get the middle all the way to temp.

I've never done sous vide, I always see it on cooking shows and want to try it but then I just fire up the grill and do it the way I know how. :p

You could have built a fire on only one side and let the steaks cook off on the other end of the grill thru indirect heat, would have acted as oven cooking in a way.

Flo_Evans

Zyzyxxz said:
Since I butchered my carbonara the other day decided to do it the right way with egg yolks and parmesan. I added shallots and garlic in addition to the pancetta.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6204/6107323696_1d44c68bd0_b.jpg

You could have built a fire on only one side and let the steaks cook off on the other end of the grill thru indirect heat, would have acted as oven cooking in a way.[/QUOTE]Yeah I was just short on time. Client was coming over so I had to eat and clean up :P

Zyzyxxz said:

6107323696_1d44c68bd0_b.jpg

Success! Now I'm craving some of this too, but it's too hot to cook pasta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom