• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Had a few guests around yesterday and decided to make a 50's / 60's style retro buffet:

20110903-Mix016_DxOCustom.jpg

20110903-Mix023_DxOCustom.jpg

20110903-Mix021_DxOCustom.jpg

20110903-Mix013_DxOCustom.jpg

20110903-Mix024_DxOCustom.jpg

20110903-Mix015_DxOCustom.jpg

Mixed cheeses, Party-meatballs, Mett, Polony salad, Waldorf salad, Tuna salad, Deviled eggs, bread and butter,

20110903-Mix019_DxOCustom-1.jpg

Sanbittér and Cinzano as starters, Red wine cream as dessert,
20110903-Mix017_DxOCustom.jpg

Melon with parma ham, and
20110903-Mix011_DxOCustom.jpg

für inbetween dishes ;).

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
What kind of cake should I bake for my Dad?
Thinking about some sort of white cake with a fruit filling, maybe peaches or strawberries, OR PEACHES AND STRAWBERRIES! :O

OK food-GAF help me plan a dinner. Picked up some butternut squash, an onion and some spanish roja garlic (which is apparently pretty intense). What should I make? I was planning on just simply roasting the squash and then finding something to put the garlic and onion on, but I am more than open for ideas. I hate trying to plan something to make.

totowhoa

Banned
If you have the ingredients, I love using butternut squash and mushrooms to cook up a vegetarian lasagna. The onions and garlic would go well with it, along with a number of other necessities and optional ingredients.

If you just want to roast the butternut squash, then... well, onions and garlic can go in a million different things. You could make a nice pasta with the butternut squash in it (and a few other veggies too) and incorporate the onions and garlic into a sauce with a wine base. Pretty simple, and you can probably make it taste quite good given whatever you have in your cabinet.

Dear Culinary GAF,

I would like to learn to cook some Indian vegetable dishes (Sem Alu, Alu Ghobi, Palak Paneer - these sorts of things). They are delicious. Is there a good cook book you would suggest to start with?

Thank you,

TToB

Lerozz

The Take Out Bandit said:
Dear Culinary GAF,

I would like to learn to cook some Indian vegetable dishes (Sem Alu, Alu Ghobi, Palak Paneer - these sorts of things). They are delicious. Is there a cook good you would suggest to start with?

Thank you,

TToB

Book. ;)

Tuvoc

It's been awhile since I've posted in here. I moved down to Florida recently and haven't had much time to cook. But today I got some prime Wahoo cuts from a fisherman friend of mine so I decided to do some cookin.

I had originally planned on cooking for myself and my nephew. But he went out with his buddies so I kept dinner pretty simple with the ingredients I had.

dinnnnnerrrrr.jpg

This is Wahoo marinated in olive oil, lime juice, cilantro and garlic that I had seared and baked. With cilantro-lime rice topped with raw onion, and raw serrano chile. I put a lil bit of fat-free sour cream on the rice after I took the pic. Just to add some flavor.

C'est bon ;)

Guys, recently I've been using tons of garlic when I stir fry vegetables. I'm talking like half an entire head for like a head of broccoli, a large onion and two handfuls of snap peas. That was today. I was actually gonna toss in the other half, too. :x

Tuvoc

bangladesh said:
Guys, recently I've been using tons of garlic when I stir fry vegetables. I'm talking like half an entire head for like a head of broccoli, a large onion and two handfuls of snap peas. That was today. I was actually gonna toss in the other half, too. :x

Imo, you can never have too much garlic. At least until your significant other says otherwise...

Lerozz

bangladesh said:

I notice myself using more and more with every fried dish also. It tastes grand. :D

Zyzyxxz

ElectricThunder said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_garlic_(food)

Who all has managed to delve into one variety of this stuff or another? The whole lot of it looks damn interesting to me, as I am one of the "Chosen" folk that can't stand Onions but love Garlic...

I used it when I worked at Rivera as a garnish for a almond based white gazpacho soup. It's a messy ingredient to work with and has a funky taste by itself but it can give that balsamic kind of flavor without having to add liquid to a dish.

Zyzyxxz said:
I used it when I worked at Rivera as a garnish for a almond based white gazpacho soup. It's a messy ingredient to work with and has a funky taste by itself but it can give that balsamic kind of flavor without having to add liquid to a dish.

Cool! Did anybody do the semi-obvious and give it a whirl as garlic bread or garlic butter?

I wonder how it differs, aside from being different, from that Korean variety the Wiki article mentions?...

Zyzyxxz

ElectricThunder said:
Cool! Did anybody do the semi-obvious and give it a whirl as garlic bread or garlic butter?

I wonder how it differs, aside from being different, from that Korean variety the Wiki article mentions?...

heck no, it was only used on the garde manger station and the rest of the cooks kept were separated while we interacted with customers like a sushi bar setup while they watched us sweat and suffer.

Also it was because that is potent stuff! It's not something to be treated like regular garlic as its already mushy so you can't really make garlic butter with it.

We had better uses for our housemade bread. Iberico slices + toasted hot bread = sex

Dynedom

Parents got me a copy of Reinventing French Cuisine by Pierre Gagnaire (they ate at his restaurant Reflets in Dubai). This is going to be interesting...

bangladesh said:
Why don't you like onions??

I don't know, but that's just how it is somehow. About the only way I can deal with it is pulverized into powder form and incorporated into a seasoning mix and the like. Perhaps there is some variety of it out there that'd not have me gagging, but I've yet to come across one or any leads along those lines. : /

Understood on the "garlic" situation----I'd probably forget most of the world existed if I had Iberico ham and fresh, hot bread within eyesight.

It seems odd to me on the garlic butter front in particular though---granted the only garlic butter I've ever made is the Justin Wilson method, which is butter, parsley, garlic, olive oil, black pepper, (grated cheese) whipped/mashed at furiously with a fork until the garlic gets rather broken down and incorporated with the rest. Power aside, it being mushy strikes me as making that easier, or at least less time consuming with a press or whathaveyou.

Sigh, maybe I'm just obsessed with wanting to play with it on pizza same as most things...or some sort of badass dipping sauce concoction...also likely to be used on pizza...

Given it seems to be south-east'ish Asia in origin, did Indian cuisine ever muck about with it any given the strong emphasis on the pungent and powerful?

MrBig

ElectricThunder said:
Sigh, maybe I'm just obsessed with wanting to play with it on pizza same as most things...or some sort of badass dipping sauce concoction...also likely to be used on pizza...
Of everything I've tried making, pizza is the only thing I've really enjoyed and stuck with. It's so simple and enjoyable.

The next pizza I make is going to be something different though, I've never heard of anyone doing anything like the technique I'm thinking of so I really hope it turns out well

Lamel

Banned
RatskyWatsky said:
I made a thick Aloo Matar

2lhNQl.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of Indian food, but this was really good.

Looks good, but I think you need more sauce to make it more authentic. And next time eat it with some roti (flat bread).

This advice is coming from a full fledged desi guy!

Zyzyxxz

Did a chicken stew the other night with a base of tomatoes, carrots, celery, chicken stock.

6118541021_7f81ccfcd5_b.jpg

Anybody do a BBQ for Labor Day my fellow Americans?

I celebrated my Southern Californian pride with bacon wrapped hot dogs!
6118541323_73495b74fc_b.jpg

6118541501_bb45e73695_b.jpg

Zyzyxxz

cartoon_soldier said:
That stew looks amazing, I need to check out some Stew recipes.

Also, some people might be interested, having seen some discussion about culinary schools:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/06/culinary-school-grads-ripped-off_n_950107.html

They are being sued

Nothing new, its a big sham. I'm glad I talked one member out of going and he has gotten a job at a great restaurant starting at the bottom which is where he likely would have started even with a culinary school education. A majority of chefs will tell you it is not worth it these days especially Le Cordon Bleu which is a degree factory. I mean how can you charge kids $40K plus a year when they will only be making $9-10 out the door?

It's fucked up and I hope they do go out of business, even Culinary Institute of America is insanely expensive despite being a non-profit and high quality. I really wanted to attend that one but I could not bear the costs and its a good thing I went into the industry first before I figured out if it was right for me or not.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Zyzyxxz said:
Did a chicken stew the other night with a base of tomatoes, carrots, celery, chicken stock.

Looks good!

Saadster said:
Looks good, but I think you need more sauce to make it more authentic. And next time eat it with some roti (flat bread).

This advice is coming from a full fledged desi guy!

Thanks for the tip. I wasn't sure how thick it should be, as I had never eaten Aloo Matar before. I'll definitely make it again, and I'll be sure to make more sauce.

Zyzyxxz said:
Nothing new, its a big sham. I'm glad I talked one member out of going and he has gotten a job at a great restaurant starting at the bottom which is where he likely would have started even with a culinary school education.

Starting at the bottom..as in, like, washing dishes?

Slizz

So I just got new Flavorizer bars and grates for my Weber. How long should it take to burn off all the unnecessary stuff off and I am able to grill?

Zyzyxxz

RatskyWatsky said:
Starting at the bottom..as in, like, washing dishes?

No, not to sound racist but being that in all the restaurants I've worked in and seen its always the Mexicans who do the dishwashing.

I meant more like prep cook. If you look hard enough one could find a chef who would be willing to train a new guy from nothing if they have the right attitude, work ethic, and loyalty to stay for at least a year, preferably 2.

MrBig

My dad wants to make chili, and wants me to make a seasoning. I've never made chili and have only had chili twice. Suggestions?
I've got rosemary, garlic, onions, parsley, oregano, mint, sage, red bell pepper, and some various store bought dried herbs.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
MrBig said:
My dad wants to make chili, and wants me to make a seasoning. I've never made chili and have only had chili twice. Suggestions?
I've got rosemary, garlic, onions, parsley, oregano, mint, sage, red bell pepper, and some various store bought dried herbs.

I just made chili! Out of those, I would do: garlic, onions, oregano, and the bell pepper, although I prefer green. I would also put in chili powder/red pepper/cayenne pepper, or maybe some red pepper flakes. I like mine really spicy. Worcestershire sauce, CUMIN!, maybe some basil, paprika, and some salt and pepper.

Zyzyxxz

ClovingSteam said:
RECIPE PLEEEEEASE

Nothign too special, it was just browned chicken in the dutch oven then use that pot to sweat the onions, bell peppers, carrots. Add paprika, celery salt, black pepper, bay leaf, and tomato paste. Let the paste cook a bit and then add a tiny bit of stock, just enough to coat the bottom of the dutch oven and to help scrape the browned bits off.

Add the chicken back in and cover. Instead of baking it in the oven I learned about a way of braising using only the oven broiler (via an excerpt from Modernist Cuisine). Put the dutch oven covered under the broiler on low and let it cook for an hour.

The chicken should be moist but also browned and somewhat crispy on top.

aOWg1.jpg

Vengeance! Though I've yet to figure a fool-proof way on noting when a buffalo frank is done---current method is to boil the hell out of it on full whack from fridge temp for like 6-8 min with tiny little holes poked all over them while keeping them rolling/moving in the water in a small skillet?

Whole wheat buns, the 2 Sargento cheese mixes, my beloved Australian Ketchup For Grownups, Knudsen Mega-Green to drink, and the above natural Buffalo Franks. Cheese worked much better this time on top instead of crammed down inside the bun slit.

totowhoa

Banned
Zyzyxxz... I have been considering trying my hand at "gourmet/fancy" hotdogs for a long time now. That picture of your Labor Day cook out really put me in the mood. Something about that sort of dish just seems like a lot of fun. I've had a lot of supreme hotdog visions in my day... I'm going to start trying them soon. Probably my guiltiest pleasure/food as far as "crappy" food goes there. I think I've actually had a few discussions with my fiance about the number of ways I would like to prepare a hot dog. Kind of weird, I know, but now I think it's time to act.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Zyzyxxz said:
I meant more like prep cook. If you look hard enough one could find a chef who would be willing to train a new guy from nothing if they have the right attitude, work ethic, and loyalty to stay for at least a year, preferably 2.

Damn. I had no idea you could do something like that...

Quick Burger
6129639838_d9af0a2499_b.jpg

Toasted sesame bun with Jalapeño Cheese, American cheese, Old Amsterdam Cheese, Mild Honey BBQ Sauce, and a garlic and chive Mayo.
6129640488_b5aa381710_b.jpg

The patties were seasoned with BBQ seasoning, garlic salt, and drizzled with Paprika oil.
6129091729_a0d3c39a5d_b.jpg

frankie_wilde said:
Quick Burger
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6182/6129639838_d9af0a2499_b.jpg
Toasted sesame bun with Jalapeño Cheese, American cheese, Old Amsterdam Cheese, Mild Honey BBQ Sauce, and a garlic and chive Mayo.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6191/6129640488_b5aa381710_b.jpg
The patties were seasoned with BBQ seasoning, garlic salt, and drizzled with Paprika oil.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6209/6129091729_a0d3c39a5d_b.jpg

Wow nice! Now i'm hungry :p Thx mate ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom