• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Today's project.

yP9mal.jpg

if4zvl.jpg

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Zyzyxxz said:
some kind of beef stew?

Yes, on chuck. Might have overdone it on the meat part though, 4 pounds...

It's been on for 6 hours now, just made som pasta and threw in some of the meat. Pretty tasty!

MrBig

Made pizza with onion and red bell pepper last night. Forgot to take pics, and my grandmother being there meant I skipped the the experiment I was going to try :lol

OnkelC said:
Had a few guests around yesterday and decided to make a 50's / 60's style retro buffet:

20110903-Mix013_DxOCustom.jpg

Is the ground meat for DIY Steak Tartare? I ate so much of it in Belgium but I'm too scared to prepare it myself.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
CrystalGemini, isn't it a bit too hot outside for Borscht? It's originally a winter dish...
Looks good, anyway.

VelvetMouth said:
Is the ground meat for DIY Steak Tartare? I ate so much of it in Belgium but I'm too scared to prepare it myself.
Not quite, it was "Mett", ground pork with a bit of salt and optionally served with chopped onions on a bun:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mett

OnkelC said:
CrystalGemini, isn't it a bit too hot outside for Borscht? It's originally a winter dish...
Looks good, anyway.

YEAH... I've always had odd cravings. :/ It was actually very hot today but we've also had this random downpour that makes me want Fall to come quickly. Lightning/thunder storms were awesome though! We opened all the top floor windows, sat with a bowl of borscht and enjoyed the show. :D

Zyzyxxz

RatskyWatsky said:
Isn't it, like, really dangerous to eat raw pork? How do you make it safe to eat?

It use to be when pigs were fed trash scraps and the risk of worms were higher but if its a naturally raised pig (free range) its generally safe to eat.

Back in 1950's America you could probably eat your chickens raw but factory farming makes it unsafe to eat it raw these days.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Zyzyxxz said:
It use to be when pigs were fed trash scraps and the risk of worms were higher but if its a naturally raised pig (free range) its generally safe to eat.

Back in 1950's America you could probably eat your chickens raw but factory farming makes it unsafe to eat it raw these days.

Ah, that makes sense. It really puts factory farming into perspective.

Zyzyxxz said:

RatskyWatsky said:
Ah, that makes sense. It really puts factory farming into perspective.
Hate to burst your bubble, but this isn't true.

I understand why people have reservations about certain modern agricultural methods, but most of the time, free range animals are far more prone to carrying foodborne illnesses than animals in conventional systems. It's common sense really. With greater freedom comes greater exposure to disease and parasites.

In any case, as long as you cook your food properly, you should be fine.

dyonPT said:
Made some chocolate chunk cookies today:

They are sooo good :)

Fixed for reality ;)

Oh wow those look utterly delicious---especially those big, dark chocolate chunks!

Hell, I already had some Graeter's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice cream earlier today and seeing that STILL has me hungry for more goodness!

Zyzyxxz said:

That's why I can't bring myself to make steak tartare. I just don't trust the meat or eggs you can buy in the US. And it's not like I bought my meat from anyplace fancy in Europe. I bought prepared steak tartare from Delhaize during mad cow scares but I just can't do it here.

dyonPT

RatskyWatsky said:
First shot: what is the white popcorn looking stuff?

The second shot. Goodness.

The third: cuuute cat cup!

thanks man! :)

Those white popcorn that you talk about is this :

cereais-nestle-clusters-amendoas-375g.jpg

I didint have almonds so I went macguiver stile and remove them from this cereals :)

dyonPT

ElectricThunder said:
Fixed for reality ;)

Oh wow those look utterly delicious---especially those big, dark chocolate chunks!

Hell, I already had some Graeter's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice cream earlier today and seeing that STILL has me hungry for more goodness!

Yeah, thats right those chunks make this cookies even better ;)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Spicy chicken wings with some crispy homemade french fries:

GwCGcl.jpg

I'm really not a wing person, but it was a nice change. Also, everyone loved them, so I didn't have to eat the entire thing.

totowhoa

Banned
I made five pounds of wings + dipping sauce + some fries a few weeks ago. For just me and my fiance. Yours look great!

Took us all day to eat them :D

totowhoa

Banned
God I've been wanting cheese sticks so bad recently. I'm going to make some with a pizza this week. Maybe a greek pizza. I recently got a mixer that I can use to make dough, but I haven't used it for that yet! I've been excited to try it out though.

MrBig

Sklorenz said:
God I've been wanting cheese sticks so bad recently. I'm going to make some with a pizza this week. Maybe a greek pizza. I recently got a mixer that I can use to make dough, but I haven't used it for that yet! I've been excited to try it out though.
My favorite way to do it is paint it with herb butter, pour a small amount of alfredo on the bottom half of the dough, sprinkle some dried garlic, load it up with mozz, add some fresh diced onion, and then fold the dough over calzone style, buttering the top and sprinkle a small amount of cheese for accent. Add various herbs depending on whatever I feel like having that night. It might kill you but its worth it.

e: also Rhinehart's dough recipe or bust

IronGaffers,
Can I get recommendations on a cast iron pan? I want to use this exclusively for meats and such. Would it be moot if im cooking on an electric stove? I can't do gas in my unit. Please show me some cast irons from low budget to high budget.

Also im hearing some conflicting thoughts on cleaning casts irons with water + soap vs. nothing at all.

Thanks!

Zyzyxxz

Giant Robot said:
IronGaffers,
Can I get recommendations on a cast iron pan? I want to use this exclusively for meats and such. Would it be moot if im cooking on an electric stove? I can't do gas in my unit. Please show me some cast irons from low budget to high budget.

Also im hearing some conflicting thoughts on cleaning casts irons with water + soap vs. nothing at all.

Thanks!

this is all you need

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006JSUB/?tag=neogaf0e-20

if you are cooking for only one person maybe the 10.5 inch would be better and a little cheaper but you should consider keep the number of cast iron to a minimum if you don't cook that much because you want to season it well over the years to come. If you split your cooking between a few different ones then it will take longer.

I would recommend getting this later down the line for braising, stews, deep frying, everything.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00063RWYI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This is my go to pot and does everything! I've had my 12 inch for about 2 years now and its getting a nice seasoning. My dutch oven is about one year and it gets a nice season from the deep frying and bacon rednering I use it for.

For cleaning, only water and no green scrubbing pads or steel wool. Get some plastic scouring pads to help with burnt on food Never use soap! Cast iron is porous and will absorb the soap, if you use alot of soap over time it will release back into your food as a contaminant. For really stubborn burnt food what I do is heat it on the stovetop dry as hell and let it heat up for a while, eventually that burnt material will flake off after 10-15 minutes.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
My fiancee bought me some Mangrates for my birthday so I decided I would test them out with a flat iron steak. The Mangrates are cast iron grill grates that you place over your normal grill grates. They help reduce flare ups and get screaming hot to help give those restaurant quality grill marks which add that awesome seared meat flavor. Yes, I sound like a commercial, or Adam Corolla, but I highly endorse this product and give it my seal of approval. This was probably the best flat iron steak I've ever had. And I also did some grill bread on there with some melted cheese and made gordita like things. One of the best meals I've ever had.

Meat
flatiron.jpg

Bread
bread-1.jpg

Finished product
finished.jpg

CrankyJay

Banned
Ferrio said:
So I made some Cheeseburger soup that I saw on Diners, Drive-thrus, Dives. Don't like that show, but the soup was so odd I had to try it. Here's the clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G2zFpveYeo

The recipe I followed
http://www.keyingredient.com/recipes/150146/triple-d-cheeseburger-soup/

I also added mushrooms and bacon to make it a mushroom bacon cheeseburger soup. Turned out really good.

That's right down the road from me. I should probably try the soup out some time. The burgers are fantastic though. I go about 4-5 times a year.

totowhoa

Banned
Pork chops w/ roasted onions, garlic, yellow bell pepper, balsamic vinegar, and some feta cheese on top of that. yum yum yum. Also, a mushroom and rice pilaf with some nuts and other things inside and some steamed veggies.

porkchopdinner.jpg

I need a website that catalogs, with proper pics, the desserts of the world, or at least of the cake'ish variety. If life doesn't kick me down too hard, I want to get a local place to try to make me a custom Roll cake/Swiss Roll for my birthday since they did an awesome job on a custom 3-layer cake for my last one, as well as the fact they look nifty and I've never had one before.

Beyond that, I'd hope to throw a bit more regular business their way(Pretty much out of compelling dessert/snack fare at the grocery stores beyond ice creams/gelatos and have room in the freezer) and help to expand their horizons in this regard. I mean, I think they could probably sell a good looking roll cake out front, should they give it a whirl, as just the occasional layer and pound cake are the offerings up to now since they've recently heartily celebrated being open for 1 year.

Zyzyxxz

so far this and last week my contributions:

Cheesy polenta with bacon bits, fried eggs, and scallions
6148324068_1f25779934_b.jpg

Did a ramen broth leftover pork stock, dashi, miso butter served with slices of pork butt, soft-boiled egg, scallions
6147774965_dfd7cbaafa_b.jpg

Brined and roasted cornish hen resting
6148324460_b9824aa888_b.jpg

Served with a side of rice and gravy made from the deglazed roasting pan, hen was garnished with a spicy salsa of peanuts, dates, golden raisins, chili flakes, olive oil
6147775287_e741f6a490_b.jpg

Zyzyxxz said:
Brined and roasted cornish hen resting
6148324460_b9824aa888_b.jpg

looks good!

I see that you have a Global knife. Worth the money? I'm actually in the market right now looking for knives. The Global knives look and feel so damn nice in my hand, but man $120+ per knife. I've been looking at the cheaper Kai Pure Komachi knives. Yea they look like toys, but I have a couple of friends who love them and pretty much on par with some of the reviews I've read. Looking to get about 6 knives: pairing, bread, carver, chef's, santouka, utility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom