• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zyzyxxz said:
Cheesy polenta with bacon bits, fried eggs, and scallions
6148324068_1f25779934_b.jpg

That looks it might be my breakfast tomorrow, but with cheesy grits (or dinner tonight even if I'm feeling motivated)

Zyzyxxz

Giant Robot said:
looks good!

I see that you have a Global knife. Worth the money? I'm actually in the market right now looking for knives. The Global knives look and feel so damn nice in my hand, but man $120+ per knife. I've been looking at the cheaper Kai Pure Komachi knives. Yea they look like toys, but I have a couple of friends who love them and pretty much on par with some of the reviews I've read. Looking to get about 6 knives: pairing, bread, carver, chef's, santouka, utility.

Thanks.

As for the knives I like Global nut I'm not entirely in love with them.

The Komachi knives are alright, I would make sure you get a whetstone to keep them sharp though. Also skip out on the paring knife if you don't think you will do delicate knife work, I rarely use mine (mostly for use in tight spaces such as inside a chicken), since you are gonna get a utility knife that will do.

If I can make a recommendation for your santoku try this one: its carbon steel though so read up on maintenance which isn't too bad
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toshsa161.html

Since its only $40 its not too much out of your budget, you don't really need both a chef's and a santoku since they fulfill the same role, its more of what your preference is. Do you want a full straight edge that has less "rocking" ability or a curved edge for that rocking motion when you mince stuff.

Tuvoc

Hey IronGAF, I'm having a little dinner party tomorrow for myself and three coworkers. My theme is going be an asian/mexican fusion. For the most part I pretty much planned out but I cant decide on a dessert to make. Does anybody have any creative suggestions?

Here's what I have planned so far:

Seared Tuna Nachos
Asian Veggie Slaw
Ginger/Pineapple(or Mango, haven't decided...) Fried Rice

The ingredients I would prefer to not use in the dessert would be Pineapple(or Mango), sweet rice or limes. Im afraid it would be too much.

The only thing I can think of is a type of dessert wonton. Maybe apple? I dunno how I'd give it a Mexican flare though.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Gaf :)

VanWinkle

Tuvoc said:
That looks pretty good, man! Did you make the dough yourself?

No. I bought pre-made dough ball from the deli. It just tastes so darn good. I did make my own sauce though, and I hope to start making my own dough soon.

Zyzyxxz

Tuvoc said:
Hey IronGAF, I'm having a little dinner party tomorrow for myself and three coworkers. My theme is going be an asian/mexican fusion. For the most part I pretty much planned out but I cant decide on a dessert to make. Does anybody have any creative suggestions?

Here's what I have planned so far:

Seared Tuna Nachos
Asian Veggie Slaw
Ginger/Pineapple(or Mango, haven't decided...) Fried Rice

The ingredients I would prefer to not use in the dessert would be Pineapple(or Mango), sweet rice or limes. Im afraid it would be too much.

The only thing I can think of is a type of dessert wonton. Maybe apple? I dunno how I'd give it a Mexican flare though.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Gaf :)

Tough but sometimes you gotta not let yourself get too restricted by the theme and make sure in the end, "Does it taste good?".

For the fried rice go pineapple because mango will become mushy unless you get unripe mangos.

For the desert may I suggest a tofu cheesecake with a jamaica syrup? Jamaica is the hibiscus flower used to make that Mexican drink and is ridiculously easy to make.

Tuvoc

VanWinkle said:
No. I bought pre-made dough ball from the deli. It just tastes so darn good. I did make my own sauce though, and I hope to start making my own dough soon.

You definitely should if you wanna make your own pizzas often. Its really easy. Salt, sugar, yeast, oil, water, flour. If you'd like I can break down my restaurants recipe for you.

Zyzyxxz

Tuvoc said:
You definitely should if you wanna make your own pizzas often. Its really easy. Salt, sugar, yeast, oil, water, flour. If you'd like I can break down my restaurants recipe for you.

I would like that please, I tried making my own dough but it sucked.

VanWinkle

Tuvoc said:

That would be awesome.

Zyzyxxz

Lunch - Chicken and Grits: Deep fried cornish hen dusted with flour, corn meal, celery salt, paprika, onion powder, and a tiny dash of curry powder. Served over polenta or corn grits cooked with homemade chicken stock and butter.
6152424912_002ee5359d_b.jpg

Dinner for the family: One big dry aged rib eye cooked to mid-rare served over a pan sauce which was a reduction of chicken stock, mirin, sake, and browned butter. The side of greens was pickled shallots, parsley, scallions, thyme, majoram tossed in rice wine vinegar, sugar, and salt to help balance out the richness of the steak and sauce.
6152424996_9b3e007a74_b.jpg

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
dyonPT said:
Chocolate cookies with smarties!

HOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTT

Were they all the same size, or was there one big one and several small ones? Anyway, they look great, and your (or whoever's) shirt is really cute. :3 (where did you/they buy it?)

Maiar_m said:
Chocolate macarons! Click on pic for recipe.

Looks delicious!

dyonPT

RatskyWatsky said:
Were they all the same size, or was there one big one and several small ones? Anyway, they look great, and your (or whoever's) shirt is really cute. :3 (where did you/they buy it?)

Looks delicious!

They were all about the same size. I used this to cut them:

DSC01694.JPG

hehehe ;)

Yeah, that's me! The shirt I got on a trip I made to Paris. It's my all time favourite city, and there are some lovely souvenir there, and lots of cool tishrts :) Glad you like it :)

Maiar_m

My oven is a pain too. I made two batches that day, and only one was acceptable.
I'd say one of the things to have is a very thin almond powder. Mine was too coarse and i couldn't get smooth shells because of that.

Although it's not cooked or mine, I had to share this because it made my blood boil!

Ac3uMl.jpg

Saw it at Safeway last night while picking up other groceries.

EDIT - Fixed!

Schrade

NintendoGal said:
Although it's not cooked or mine, I had to share this because it made my blood boil!

[IMG ]http://i.imgur.com/Ac3uMl.jpg[/IMG]

Saw it at Safeway last night while picking up other groceries.

EDIT - Fixed!
Why did it make your blood boil?

sohois said:
Sheperd's pie is supposed to be made with lamb or mutton. Making it with beef would mean it is a cottage pie.

Yep, exactly. This is why practically no one in the US knows the difference between the two. :|

One thing I'm learning through gardening is what other parts of a plant is edible. (For the record, no, the leaves of a tomato or pepper plant are NOT edible!)

6166363213_ee8c749c56.jpg

I'm getting lots of floppy leaves from my cauliflower plant, so I consulted the internet, found they were edible, and made pesto with them!

Zyzyxxz

I think beet green are edible too, I remember feeling wasteful throwing pounds and pounds of them out at my last job. We didn't have a use for it and we went through alot of beets.

Made a cream of spinach soup with all the left over spinach we had:

loTbQl.jpg

I cooked down the spinach, then added a little vegetable stock. Also put in some onions, garlic, and milk into the pan and let it simmer for 10 minutes. After that I put small batches in my Bullet.

(I never measure, I just throw ingredients into a pan and hope it works out for the best.)

Poured it into a cup and added a handful of cherry tomatoes and a sprinkle of cheese.

I thought it came out so tasty! :D

Stalfos

Zyzyxxz said:
I think beet green are edible too, I remember feeling wasteful throwing pounds and pounds of them out at my last job. We didn't have a use for it and we went through alot of beets.
Yeah beet greens are pretty good.

My Filipino neighbors cook young pepper plant leaves with chicken. Either hot peppers or the skinny mild peppers that look like thai peppers but aren't hot.

Stalfos said:
Yeah beet greens are pretty good.

How do you usually cook them?

My husband does this thing where he puts them in the microwave and then dresses them with olive oil and lemon, salt and pepper, and that's pretty good. But I want more variety!

Stalfos

nakedsushi said:
How do you usually cook them?

My husband does this thing where he puts them in the microwave and then dresses them with olive oil and lemon, salt and pepper, and that's pretty good. But I want more variety!
I cut the stems from the leaves. Cut up and start sauteing the stems, in olive oil and seasoned simply with garlic, some salt, and pepper. Get the stems softened a bit and add the chopped leaves/greens and let them wilt down. I believe I've also cooked them with some thinly sliced onion as well which I would add the same time as the stems.

Jzk8G.jpg

I've been busy today between the soup and this. My feet are killing me. I also have to bake the checkerboard versions of these cookies now too. Sigh, I just want to sleep! XD

Zyzyxxz

CrystalGemini said:
Been CRAVING porchetta. Also with a side of roast potates (cooked in the pork fat) and chard sauteed with bacon and black eyed peas.
4ilz88.jpg

My god! How did you get the skin to crisp so perfectly?

CrystalGemini said:
Been CRAVING porchetta. Also with a side of roast potates (cooked in the pork fat) and chard sauteed with bacon and black eyed peas.
muehog.jpg

Looks great! Great re-use of the pork drippings. That's totally what I would have done too, haha. I like that you added *more* pork to the chard.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Iron Gaf, any awesome recipes for cheap and easy breakfast smoothies that will keep you full until lunch? (Low carb if possible, fine if not!)

Deadly Cyclone said:
Iron Gaf, any awesome recipes for cheap and easy breakfast smoothies that will keep you full until lunch? (Low carb if possible, fine if not!)

Bananas have a lot of carbs for a fruit, but if you get less than ripe ones (not totally yellow and black) they have that special fiber that helps you metabolize lots of carbs if you eat them.

banana + peanut butter + soy milk (or regular milk) + dried dates will probably keep you going for a while. I sometimes put in a tablespoon of rolled oats along with the fruit to make it more filling.

CRS

So I started my first day of training at a Greek restaurant here in town yesterday. Because I've had experience as a breakfast cook, they're starting me off for breakfast and eventually I'll be able to work during lunch and dinner. I'm really excited for this and hopefully I can pull it off. I'll see if I can take some pictures and share them here.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
ChldRebelSoldr said:
So I started my first day of training at a Greek restaurant here in town yesterday. Because I've had experience as a breakfast cook, they're starting me off for breakfast and eventually I'll be able to work during lunch and dinner. I'm really excited for this and hopefully I can pull it off. I'll see if I can take some pictures and share them here.

Congrats!

Zyzyxxz

ChldRebelSoldr said:

nice, what city you live in and name of place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom