• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRS

RatskyWatsky said:
Congrats!
Thanks!

The restaurant is Petros in Los Olivos, CA. It's Petros' second restaurant after the first one in Manhattan Beach. He's opening another in Santa Barbara in the next month or two.

CrystalGemini said:
Been CRAVING porchetta. Also with a side of roast potates (cooked in the pork fat) and chard sauteed with bacon and black eyed peas.

ofajrl.jpg

4ilz88.jpg

122zy92.jpg

muehog.jpg
Can you point me to a recipe? I am currently on my roast chicken quest but i am willing to do a side quest in search of pork!

Zyzyxxz said:
My god! How did you get the skin to crisp so perfectly?

Technosteve said:
Can you point me to a recipe? I am currently on my roast chicken quest but i am willing to do a side quest in search of pork!
Thanks! :D

As always...rough estimates :X ...

2-3 tbsp salt
1 whole bulb diced garlic
1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
1 tbsp dill, chopped
1 tsp ground black pepper
2 tbsp virgin olive oil
3 lb pork belly
1-1/2 lb small red potatoes

I used this over-salting method to marinade the pork belly. Sprinkle the salt onto the surface of the pork. Place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.

Meanwhile mix garlic, rosemary, dill, pepper and 1 tbsp olive oil in a small bowl. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.

After 2 hours, take the pork belly out of the refrigerator and rinse the salt off thoroughly. Dry completely with paper towels. Spread the herb mix onto the inside of the pork belly (opposite the skin). Roll up and tie with butcher's twine. Rub with olive oil.

Place the pork belly on a rack placed on top of a pan (or dutch oven). Place on the highest rack in your oven. Bake for 45 minutes until the skin is ALMOST browned to desired crispness. Turn heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and roast for another hour or so (about 30 minutes per pound).

About 30 minutes before the meat is done put the potatoes in the pan under the meat so they finish roasting together with the pork drippings coating the spuds.

Zyzyxxz

In one of the pictures it looks like you put a pork loin inside it or is that just an uneven cut of pork belly? Since I assume you didn't get centercut as its more expensive and harder to find.

Either way it looks amazing and I definitely want to do it now! Porchetta has been on my to-cook list for so long.

Yeah it was an uneven cut but it rolled up well! If I had a larger cut of belly I think I would use pork loin. Though I hear sausage is more traditional...

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Cooked some oven-fried chicken last night with a simple dredge of flour, paprika, garlic salt, pepper, and a dash of kosher salt.

Tasted good, the only thing was the batter was not quite where i'd like it, still had a bit of a flour-y taste to it. How do you avoid this?

Pic:

IMG_20110921_183109.jpg

nakedsushi said:
Bananas have a lot of carbs for a fruit, but if you get less than ripe ones (not totally yellow and black) they have that special fiber that helps you metabolize lots of carbs if you eat them.

banana + peanut butter + soy milk (or regular milk) + dried dates will probably keep you going for a while. I sometimes put in a tablespoon of rolled oats along with the fruit to make it more filling.

See this is what I did this week, but upon adding up the carbs in one smoothie there was a whopping 67 grams of carbs. I am thinking I need to go more the berry route, but without using peanut butter i'm not sure what to add to make sure it fills me up enough.

Deadly Cyclone said:
See this is what I did this week, but upon adding up the carbs in one smoothie there was a whopping 67 grams of carbs. I am thinking I need to go more the berry route, but without using peanut butter i'm not sure what to add to make sure it fills me up enough.

Wait...you're worried about carbs in your FRUIT smoothie, but eating battered, fried chicken?? I think the carbs in bananas are pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
nakedsushi said:
Wait...you're worried about carbs in your FRUIT smoothie, but eating battered, fried chicken?? I think the carbs in bananas are pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things.
Well it was baked chicken with a bit of flour, but yeah I get your point.

Silkworm

Damn, that porchetta looks nice! :) I haven't been aware of the recent porchetta craze so to speak, but then I saw a recipe for porchetta in the September issue of Bon Appetit and was very tempted to give it a try.
You can see the recipe at http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2011/09/porchetta
But then I saw the nutritional breakdown for a serving of this recipe which included the following:
Fat (g) 82.2
Saturated Fat (g) 30.1
Cholesterol (mg) 135.2
Considering I would have to consume this by myself and the recipe size is for 15 servings, I will probably wait some time before I try it since I don't want to kill myself --- oh, but what a tastey way to die ;-)

lethial

Reeeeeeee
CrystalGemini said:
Been CRAVING porchetta. Also with a side of roast potates (cooked in the pork fat) and chard sauteed with bacon and black eyed peas.

http://i51.tinypic.com/ofajrl.jpg[/.IMG]
[IMG]http://i56.tinypic.com/4ilz88.jpg[/.IMG]
[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/122zy92.jpg[/.IMG]
[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/muehog.jpg[/.IMG][/QUOTE]

Oh jesus christ.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Made a batch of, sort of, pulled pork. Cut some pork shoulder into decent chunks, browned and then simmered with pork stock, coca cola and beer for 6 hours (letting it reduce).

Ate as sandwiches with home made pickled jalapenos and red onions, and spicy tomato sauce. Godly.

IxoLAl.jpg

CrankyJay

Banned
Keen said:
Made a batch of, sort of, pulled pork. Cut some pork shoulder into decent chunks, browned and then simmered with pork stock, coca cola and beer for 6 hours (letting it reduce).

Ate as sandwiches with home made pickled jalapenos and red onions, and spicy tomato sauce. Godly.

IxoLAl.jpg

Yeah, I'd say with the pickled items that was pretty fucking rad. Good work.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
CrankyJay said:
Yeah, I'd say with the pickled items that was pretty fucking rad. Good work.

Thanks, but they're really easy to make! Just 1 part vinegar (12%), 2 parts sugar and 3 parts water. Bring to a boil with some bay leafs and peppercorns and pour over whatever you want!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Made some tomato soup from scratch, roasted tomatoes, a red pepper, a red onion, and garlic. Pureed it, added some vege stock, salt, pepper, and a dash of sugar and cooked a bit, then added some macaroni pasta.

Pretty good. Could use some bread or a grilled cheese with it though.

IMG_20110925_181156.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Keen said:

IxoLAl.jpg

Ghetto Cochinita Pibil. I approve.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
ClovingSteam said:
So I'm making some chicken breasts and red potatoes tonight. Whats your favorite red potato recipe?

I usually just quarter them and put them on a roasting pan with a few red onions. Top with some garlic salt or something and olive oil and roast them up.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Sorry for not posting much lately, busy as hell.

Thanks to everyone of you for sharing the awesome that happens on your plates! :)

Porkbelly oh man I am making that for thanksgiving. I usually go the Korean style and do it up Ssam style with the pork belly cut in to strips and grilled on charcoal with garlic cloves and onion. But that recipe looks amazing.

I just bought two pounds of brisket from TJs and boy was it pricey. Anyone know a good recipe for it. I am planning to make a Chinese style beef soup with the brisket to go with noodles. Any of you guys ever made this dish? I don't have a smoker to make BBQ so what else can I do with this tough piece of meat?

Waikis

CrystalGemini said:
Thanks! :D

As always...rough estimates :X ...

2-3 tbsp salt
1 whole bulb diced garlic
1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
1 tbsp dill, chopped
1 tsp ground black pepper
2 tbsp virgin olive oil
3 lb pork belly
1-1/2 lb small red potatoes

I used this over-salting method to marinade the pork belly. Sprinkle the salt onto the surface of the pork. Place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.

Meanwhile mix garlic, rosemary, dill, pepper and 1 tbsp olive oil in a small bowl. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.

After 2 hours, take the pork belly out of the refrigerator and rinse the salt off thoroughly. Dry completely with paper towels. Spread the herb mix onto the inside of the pork belly (opposite the skin). Roll up and tie with butcher's twine. Rub with olive oil.

Place the pork belly on a rack placed on top of a pan (or dutch oven). Place on the highest rack in your oven. Bake for 45 minutes until the skin is ALMOST browned to desired crispness. Turn heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and roast for another hour or so (about 30 minutes per pound).

About 30 minutes before the meat is done put the potatoes in the pan under the meat so they finish roasting together with the pork drippings coating the spuds.

Thanks for recipe crystal, I made this over the weekend. I also added rosemary, garlic, parsley, wine and olive oil to form a bed for the roast in the roasting pan.

316545_1015041330838992u9e.jpg

Zyzyxxz

CrystalGemini said:
Any SF Bay Area GAFfers go to the Eat Real Festival this weekend?!

Wow, that looks way better than the LA version that just started this year.

It was all "safe" food from food trucks.

beje

Banned
My first Yakisoba noodles:

KCDQ3.jpg

Added too much cabbage, went a little bit overboard with the sauce and it was missing tuna flakes but it was delicious anyway. I'm raiding the local japanese shop next week for more material :DDD

Alucrid

Banned
DyonPT's and Maiar_m's posts have convinced me to bake this weekend. :D

Also, how do ya'll find the strength to make meals after work. All I want to do is go to sleep.

Finally, does anyone remember where that post was that listed a bunch of good cooking blogs?

Alucrid said:
DyonPT's and Maiar_m's posts have convinced me to bake this weekend. :D

Also, how do ya'll find the strength to make meals after work. All I want to do is go to sleep.

Finally, does anyone remember where that post was that listed a bunch of good cooking blogs?

It depends on what your schedule is like. If I make it into the office, I usually don't get back home till after 8, but luckily we eat pretty late.

It also helps if you have an arsenal of quick, no-fuss things you can make. Going grocery shopping in advance (on the weekend) also cuts down on dinner prep-time. If you have some things that you like to make often, making them a lot will also teach you how to make them faster and streamline the process.

I think it's also very mental. Because I do a lot of sitting around and using one part of my brain at work, it's relaxing and nice to come home, do something manual like chopping vegetables and cooking and kind of zone out.

Vaporak

Hey GAF, I'm new around these parts and would like a sanity check from some other cooks, especially ones with experience in Sichuanese and/or spicy cooking in general. So I was shopping for some ingredients to make Kung Pao chicken yesterday when I made an ingredient substitute that is the center of my sanity check. Since the kind of chili peppers recommended for the dish, "facing heaven chili's", aren't available I've been slicing up Jalapeno's instead as part of the stirfry. This last time I was shopping however, I saw that Habanero's were on sale. I remember reading that they have a citrus like taste so I figured the taste would go well with Sichuan Peppercorns so I bought four of them to use. So that's the sanity check part, I've never eaten Habanero's before, so is just slicing a few up to cook and eat in the dish a good idea?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Vaporak said:
Hey GAF, I'm new around these parts and would like a sanity check from some other cooks, especially ones with experience in Sichuanese and/or spicy cooking in general. So I was shopping for some ingredients to make Kung Pao chicken yesterday when I made an ingredient substitute that is the center of my sanity check. Since the kind of chili peppers recommended for the dish, "facing heaven chili's", aren't available I've been slicing up Jalapeno's instead as part of the stirfry. This last time I was shopping however, I saw that Habanero's were on sale. I remember reading that they have a citrus like taste so I figured the taste would go well with Sichuan Peppercorns so I bought four of them to use. So that's the sanity check part, I've never eaten Habanero's before, so is just slicing a few up to cook and eat in the dish a good idea?

Go for it. Depending on how much kung pao you're making, four habanero's might be too much. Maybe just start with two and see how it goes. I've actually just started using them, and I don't think they're that hot. They're hot, for sure, but it's a different kind of heat than jalapenos. More spread out and less focused, if that makes sense. For spicy asian dishes, if I can't find fresh chili peppers, I like to use the dried 'chili pequins' that come in a bag. They are very similar to the chilis found in kung pao, I think. The same sort of spiciness. They're long, skinny, and red, and looking them up online, don't look like actual pequin chilis. I think they're arbol, but the package says chili pequin, so I don't know. You can probably find them in the latin section of your grocery store.

Vaporak

RatskyWatsky said:
Go for it. Depending on how much kung pao you're making, four habanero's might be too much. Maybe just start with two and see how it goes. I've actually just started using them, and I don't think they're that hot. They're hot, for sure, but it's a different kind of heat than jalapenos. More spread out and less focused, if that makes sense. For spicy asian dishes, if I can't find fresh chili peppers, I like to use the dried 'chili pequins' that come in a bag. They are very similar to the chilis found in kung pao, I think. The same sort of spiciness. They're long, skinny, and red, and looking them up online, don't look like actual pequin chilis. I think they're arbol, but the package says chili pequin, so I don't know. You can probably find them in the latin section of your grocery store.

Yeah, I've seen the bags of dried chili peppers you're talking about. I've used them before, but I like fresh peppers more taste and texture wise so I've been using Jalapeno's. Glad to see I'm not about to do something crazy. I'll come back with crappy iPhone pictures when I cook it tomorrow.

Zyzyxxz

RatskyWatsky said:

Not quite as spicy as chile de arbol but it is spicy though, you can use alot of not worry about overpowering it as long as you don't break them open while cooking.

Vaporak

Zyzyxxz said:
Not quite as spicy as chile de arbol but it is spicy though, you can use alot of not worry about overpowering it as long as you don't break them open while cooking.

Can you elaborate on what you mean? Wikipedia says Pequin pepper is significantly spicier than Chile de árbol, and both are much less spicy than the Habanero. I was going to slice up the Habaneros and eat them as part of the stirfry, insides/seeds and all.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Zyzyxxz said:

I always break them open. :p

Vaporak said:
Can you elaborate on what you mean? Wikipedia says Pequin pepper is significantly spicier than Chile de árbol, and both are much less spicy than the Habanero. I was going to slice up the Habaneros and eat them as part of the stirfry, insides/seeds and all.

I find the bagged pequin/arbol/whatever they are to be quite a bit hotter than habanero. Of course, I usually don't eat the seeds of habanero's so that might be why.

Ken

Out of curiosity, would anyone happen to have a good recipe for the really flaky egg tarts common in Hong Kong that they don't mind sharing?

Vaporak said:
Wiki's right. And all these peppers are noticeably hotter than jalapeños, especially the big, mild, "made for poppers" cultivars that are most common in chain, non-ethnic supermarkets nowadays. Just eat a piece of one raw to get an idea of what you're dealing with.

GiJoccin

I made a week's worth of veggies sauteed with quinoa and put 6 chopped up habanero peppers in... HOLY CRAP that's hot. I think I'm going to end up tossing the lot of it... My entire face was on fire, and my hands for 2 days. Not to mention when I rubbed my eye by accident and ran around the apartment for a few minutes.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
GiJoccin said:
I made a week's worth of veggies sauteed with quinoa and put 6 chopped up habanero peppers in... HOLY CRAP that's hot. I think I'm going to end up tossing the lot of it... My entire face was on fire, and my hands for 2 days. Not to mention when I rubbed my eye by accident and ran around the apartment for a few minutes.

Ah, it would be a shame to throw it out. Do you have any heat seeking friends that you could give it to?

GiJoccin said:

Ahahaha, that's why I always taste the peppers before I throw them in. Although with habaneros, I know that usually 1 whole one is enough.

Sounds like your only solution is to coat your tongue in candle wax and down the thing.
homer-chilli.jpg

And then, eat a lot of yogurt to deal with the "after burn"

Zyzyxxz

So I'm trying to cut out carbs but what can I replace rice with? I'm Asian so I am pretty muched fucked from the start since I love ramen, fried rice, and stir fried noodles!

I'll have the occasional ramen at a restaurant when I'm out but other than that I"m basically saying no to white bread, white rice, pasta and what not.

Any suggestions for coping? I've been eating quinoa so far and in smaller amounts than I would of rice as well, although I know it still has carbs it has alot of fiber too so I'm willing to make the small trade off.

Probably thinking oatmeal as a replacement for rice? Any suggestions and tips are appreciated.

Zyzyxxz said:
So I'm trying to cut out carbs but what can I replace rice with? I'm Asian so I am pretty muched fucked from the start since I love ramen, fried rice, and stir fried noodles!

I'll have the occasional ramen at a restaurant when I'm out but other than that I"m basically saying no to white bread, white rice, pasta and what not.

Any suggestions for coping? I've been eating quinoa so far and in smaller amounts than I would of rice as well, although I know it still has carbs it has alot of fiber too so I'm willing to make the small trade off.

Probably thinking oatmeal as a replacement for rice? Any suggestions and tips are appreciated.

Are you cooking the quinoa in a rice cooker? I find that doing that with a pinch of salt makes it SO delicious. And cuts down on standing over the stove time.

I'm sad your'e cutting rice. I can't live without carbs, they're SO TASTY. If your'e only cutting out white rice, you can try brown rice. I liked the short grain Japanese kind because it's still a little sticky like Chinese rice. I'm not a big fan of the flavor of brown rice with Chinese food, so we get this special 'brown' rice from Mitsuwa called Tamaki Haiga. It's white rice that's milled less, so it still has the germ in it, but not the bran, which is what gives brown rice that brown flavor. Much healthier than regular white rice without any of the brown rice taste.

As far as oatmeal goes, steel cut oats (super cheap from the bulk bin) is a great replacement for rice in porridge. I usually cook that in the rice cooker too (1/4 ratio) and then top it with chinese pickles, fermented tofu, and green onion. Yum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom