• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zyzyxxz said:
So I'm trying to cut out carbs but what can I replace rice with? I'm Asian so I am pretty muched fucked from the start since I love ramen, fried rice, and stir fried noodles!

I'll have the occasional ramen at a restaurant when I'm out but other than that I"m basically saying no to white bread, white rice, pasta and what not.

Any suggestions for coping? I've been eating quinoa so far and in smaller amounts than I would of rice as well, although I know it still has carbs it has alot of fiber too so I'm willing to make the small trade off.

Probably thinking oatmeal as a replacement for rice? Any suggestions and tips are appreciated.

Green lentils are pretty good. For noodles I've tried shirataki noodles. If you pre cook them and then also cook them in a sauce they're good but very low nutritional value. I've also been making 'Mexican' rice with cauliflower. Grate or chop finely in a food processor and then stir fry lightly with garlic, cumin, chili, salsa for moisture. For my beans I'm using black soy beans Eden brand. They are delicious and a good source of fiber. Mix it together throw some cheese on top and broil it. Top of green onions and sour cream. You can also do stir fry rice with the grated cauliflower. Doesn't really taste like rice but my husband who hates cauliflower really likes it.

No prob. Looking over it now I see it doesn't actually use a whole hell of a lot of pumpkin but here it is anyway ...

2c all purpose flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground clove
1 tsp baking soda
1c butter, softened
1/2c granulated sugar
1/2c packed brown sugar
1c pumpkin (this thing says to try Libby's 100% pure pumpkin)
1 large egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
2c (12 oz package) Nestle Toll House white morsels
2/3c chopped macadamia or walnuts, toasted

Preheat oven to 350*F

Combine flour, cinnamon, cloves and baking soda in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar in large mixer bowl until creamy. Beat in pumpkin, egg and vanilla extract until blended. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto greased baking sheets; flatten slightly with back of spoon or greased bottom of glass dipped in granulated sugar.

Bake for 11 to 14 minutes or until centers are set. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 11 minutes
Cooling time: 5 minutes

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Zyzyxxz said:
So I'm trying to cut out carbs but what can I replace rice with? I'm Asian so I am pretty muched fucked from the start since I love ramen, fried rice, and stir fried noodles!

I'll have the occasional ramen at a restaurant when I'm out but other than that I"m basically saying no to white bread, white rice, pasta and what not.

Any suggestions for coping? I've been eating quinoa so far and in smaller amounts than I would of rice as well, although I know it still has carbs it has alot of fiber too so I'm willing to make the small trade off.

Probably thinking oatmeal as a replacement for rice? Any suggestions and tips are appreciated.
do it like ze Germans do and go with potatoes!

beje said:
My first Yakisoba noodles:

KCDQ3.jpg

Added too much cabbage, went a little bit overboard with the sauce and it was missing tuna flakes but it was delicious anyway. I'm raiding the local japanese shop next week for more material :DDD
what's the recipe? I always wanted to try to make something similar myself. I love chinese food and my favourite thing is noodles. Could eat ____ fried noodles all day. Or any kind (except crispy chow mein, hate that).

So yeah care to share the recipe? It looks good. How did it taste?

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
Are you cooking the quinoa in a rice cooker? I find that doing that with a pinch of salt makes it SO delicious. And cuts down on standing over the stove time.

I'm sad your'e cutting rice. I can't live without carbs, they're SO TASTY. If your'e only cutting out white rice, you can try brown rice. I liked the short grain Japanese kind because it's still a little sticky like Chinese rice. I'm not a big fan of the flavor of brown rice with Chinese food, so we get this special 'brown' rice from Mitsuwa called Tamaki Haiga. It's white rice that's milled less, so it still has the germ in it, but not the bran, which is what gives brown rice that brown flavor. Much healthier than regular white rice without any of the brown rice taste.

As far as oatmeal goes, steel cut oats (super cheap from the bulk bin) is a great replacement for rice in porridge. I usually cook that in the rice cooker too (1/4 ratio) and then top it with chinese pickles, fermented tofu, and green onion. Yum.

I'm sad too, its been about 4 days without rice and I'm having withdrawals. Just came back from a yakitori/izakaya type restaurant and most meals typically end with some sort of rice dish. I wanted to eat an oyako-don so bad but resisted temptation. I'll probably go with the oatmeal route.

VelvetMouth said:
Green lentils are pretty good. For noodles I've tried shirataki noodles. If you pre cook them and then also cook them in a sauce they're good but very low nutritional value. I've also been making 'Mexican' rice with cauliflower. Grate or chop finely in a food processor and then stir fry lightly with garlic, cumin, chili, salsa for moisture. For my beans I'm using black soy beans Eden brand. They are delicious and a good source of fiber. Mix it together throw some cheese on top and broil it. Top of green onions and sour cream. You can also do stir fry rice with the grated cauliflower. Doesn't really taste like rice but my husband who hates cauliflower really likes it.

Thanks for the suggestion I'll definitely mess around with cauliflower.

OnkelC said:
do it like ze Germans do and go with potatoes!

I'm not doing potatoes too! Argh, its so hard.

What about some spaghetti squash? I've been considering that for myself also (I actually hate all pastas, rice, and bread). It'd be nice to have some kind of backup/alternative.

beje

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
what's the recipe? I always wanted to try to make something similar myself. I love chinese food and my favourite thing is noodles. Could eat ____ fried noodles all day. Or any kind (except crispy chow mein, hate that).

So yeah care to share the recipe? It looks good. How did it taste?

I'm currently getting all my japanese food recipe fix from this youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/cookingwithdog?blend=1&ob=4

It might be a little hard or expensive to track down some of the ingredients but it's really worth the time and money if you like japanese food. In this case, the only special ingredients were the noodles themselves (they come pre-cooked in a transparent package) and the yakisoba sauce which you can either buy already done in a ketchup-like package or do it yourself with soy sauce + oyster sauce + sake (if I'm not mistaken)

MrBig

Those look delicious, and a very interesting presentation as well

I made pizza last night, and adding a bit of red bell to the sauce completely changed the flavor of the pie, but it was one of the best pizza's I've ever made/tasted

dyonPT said:
Churros with Chocolate:

DSC02614.JPG

Wow, looks great! How did you make the churro shape? Don't tell me you have a churro extruder! These look just like the churros from this churro/cafe place on the other side of town.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
awesome churros indeed, thanks a bunch for sharing, DyonPT. Churros have become popular rapidly in Germany as a fair food, nearly every bigger food stall at fairs, christmas markets etc. offers them now.

dyonPT

OnkelC said:
awesome churros indeed, thanks a bunch for sharing, DyonPT. Churros have become popular rapidly in Germany as a fair food, nearly every bigger food stall at fairs, christmas markets etc. offers them now.

No, thank you :)

Yeah, Churros in Portugal are very popular in Fairs also. We love the stufed ones :)

dyonPT

nakedsushi said:
Wow, looks great! How did you make the churro shape? Don't tell me you have a churro extruder! These look just like the churros from this churro/cafe place on the other side of town.

No I do not have that machine. I used a regular piping Bag, and thats why they didint came out very large.

DSC02520.JPG

Then I put it directly in the frier and cuted it with a sissor :)

Vaporak

Hey IronGAF, thanks for the recommendations on the Habanero's. The Kung Pao Chicken turned out delicious, spicy but not quite as spicy as I like. Unfortunatly there's been some weird internet problems at my place so I can't upload my phone pics of the meal. >.<

I still haven't escaped the grasp of Sargento's leftovers, but I did find some nice looking Genoa Salami(Yes folks, never actually had any of that specifically before) I will get at my next chance and this evening I had a very enjoyable sample of Tiger Tiger's Tikka Paste---which was very nearly as hot as their Vindaloo despite a lower rating by their own metrics.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Made a baked pumpkin risotto. I stupidly left it in the oven for some extra time, thinking it would be okay while I did something else. It turned to paste. Shit.

Ah well. I learned a valuable lesson.

RatskyWatsky said:
Made a baked pumpkin risotto. I stupidly left it in the oven for some extra time, thinking it would be okay while I did something else. It turned to paste. Shit.

Ah well. I learned a valuable lesson.
Did Chef Ramsay pop out of your garbage can and start screaming at you for f/ing up the risotto?

Another quick dinner:

Spicy tomato pasta (tomatoes and fresh cayenne from the garden) and a side salad with extra radicchio and some white beans I cooked up last weekend.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
nakedsushi said:
Another quick dinner:

Spicy tomato pasta (tomatoes and fresh cayenne from the garden) and a side salad with extra radicchio and some white beans I cooked up last weekend.

Beautiful and it looks delicious.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
cooking up some ragú from beef chuck and pork shoulder, along with some pancetta, onions and garlic, couple of cans of tomato polpa from Mutti and half a bottle or so of white whine. Kinda overdid the meat again, 2.5 pounds of each, gonna have food for a while (which is kinda the point). Threw in some sardines, and a veal shank (to eat for dinner, since this will take awhile).

88rhHl.jpg

xyQTwl.jpg

MrBig

My dad's working on a chili and it doesn't look to be thickening up. I believe he based it off canned Hunt's tomato sauce
Any suggestions?

MrBig said:
My dad's working on a chili and it doesn't look to be thickening up. I believe he based it off canned Hunt's tomato sauce
Any suggestions?

Potatoes? Are potatoes part of chili? I dunno haha.

You could also take a portion of the cooked beans (about 1/3 cup) and put it in the blender and blend it to a puree, then add it back to the stew.

It'll thicken if you let it simmer long enough uncovered. Otherwise you could work in some roux or masa harina, realizing that either is going to change the flavor somewhat.

Vaporak

I'm back GAF, with fixed internet to share some food!

Fish Fragrant Pork: (Pork, Mushrooms, Bamboo Shoots, and Beansprouts in a salty, sour, and spicy sauce)
IMG_0097.jpg

Chicken, Mushroom, and Bellpepper fried rice:
IMG_0092.jpg

And two kinds of Kung Pao Chicken:
IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Vaporak said:
I'm back GAF, with fixed internet to share some food!

Fish Fragrant Pork: (Pork, Mushrooms, Bamboo Shoots, and Beansprouts in a salty, sour, and spicy sauce)

All look great, but especially the first one, even though I loathe bean sprouts. Mind sharing the recipe?

Vaporak

RatskyWatsky said:
All look great, but especially the first one, even though I loathe bean sprouts. Mind sharing the recipe?

Yeah it's a pretty easy stirfry. Cook the pork and once it's cooked through drain off most of the liquid. Then add some chili bean paste and stirfry for another minute. Take the pork out set it aside, then stirfry each of the vegetables individually and set aside with the pork. To make the sauce mix some water, xiaoxing wine, soy sauce, Chinkiang black rice vinegar, a little bit of chili sauce, and a bit of cornstarch to thicken. Mix up the sauce and dump in in the pan and heat till thickened, then just add the pork and vegetables back in and stirfry for a bit to thoroughly mix and heat.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Vaporak said:
Yeah it's a pretty easy stirfry. Cook the pork and once it's cooked through drain off most of the liquid. Then add some chili bean paste and stirfry for another minute. Take the pork out set it aside, then stirfry each of the vegetables individually and set aside with the pork. To make the sauce mix some water, xiaoxing wine, soy sauce, Chinkiang black rice vinegar, a little bit of chili sauce, and a bit of cornstarch to thicken. Mix up the sauce and dump in in the pan and heat till thickened, then just add the pork and vegetables back in and stirfry for a bit to thoroughly mix and heat.

Thanks a bunch!

Shawsie64

Banned
Messing around in the kitchen on the weekend, got some mushrooms and stuffed some chicken, corn, carrots and spring onions in them then made a pastry lid:

IMAG0565-1.jpg

IMAG0584-1.jpg

IMAG0585-1.jpg

IMAG0602.jpg

Made Laksa also:

IMAG0541.jpg

Had my parents over for dinner the previous week.. Decided to make some Indian dishes. Vegetable Pakora, Samosas and Naan bread:

IMAG0508.jpg

IMAG0515.jpg

IMAG0517.jpg

IMAG0513.jpg

IMAG0498-1.jpg

(and yes.. I do love coriander :))

Last night had seafood pizza

IMAG0553-1.jpg

That pizza looks so wonderfully cheesy....mmmm....

I got 2 new cheeses utterly at random that weren't even on my list proper!

Can't wait to try them out come Saturday.

CRS

Does anyone have a good Marinara recipe? Got some heirloom tomatoes left over from our garden and I want to make some marinara with them.

SLV

So, this thread made me make some cake today :p it is a traditional " latvian" cookie cake.
Ingredients are as follows:
Curd or cottage cheese
QvCnZ.jpg

Home made whipped cream, none of that shop ready to go air filled bullshit
ii9Ge.jpg

Marmelade
CcRlH.jpg

Plain regular cookies:
YbHDJ.jpg

And a sour jam, in this case from cranberries
19cP4.jpg

So basically Curd or cottage cheese gets mixed together with small cut pieces of marmelade, sugar and whipped cream, till it is easy to lay on the cookies. it is generally really sweet, first layer are cookies that are made wet in milk, then you lay on the curd mass, then another layer of milked cookies, then the jam, as a rule of thumb you generally want a sour jam not a sweet one, and you repeat the layers as many times as you want in the same order. In the end the upper layer is cookies, then you smear whipped cream all around it and decorate it to your hearts content with whattever you wish, in my case chocolate crumbs. And then you let it stay for some 4-6 hours, so it gets really good. The cake is realllllly moist and tastes excellent with milk. Although i doubt you can get curd or cottage cheese like that in USA and most parts of europe though :p

And voila:
9YES8.jpg

^^

Some dinners that we've had in the last week or so. All cooked in less than an hour!

6220555165_a4f8fabee4.jpg

Japanese style spaghetti with leek, mushrooms, radish sprouts, and grated radish.

6221075676_9a7e9284a1.jpg

Farro risotto with chickpeas, cannellini, and cauliflower greens.

Ok maybe the farro was a little cheating since I didn't count the time it takes to soak the farro and chickpeas, and I used leftover beans I had cooked on the weekend. But I assume it would work the same for canned beans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom