• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
6908A.jpg

FINALLY, I got to have some nice, new pizza doings tonight!

Cheese: Zamorano - Random find, fairly strong/semi-salty. A bit like a Romano in that it really should probably be best grated as it isn't much of a melter due to being so firm, yet crumbly. It was still pretty pleasant like this though, far moreso than how something like Paneer behaves.

Sauce: Tiger Tiger Tikka - rubbed it all about the Chorizo there---tasty and rather hot despite it being a thing designed to be a fair bit more mild than the Vindaloo the same company puts out.

THE CRUMBLE:: Simply 7 Bruschetta Lentil Chip Holy crap, these are far and away the best Bruschetta chips I've ever had and easily in contention for the Greatest Of Chips that I've yet discovered in my ravenous samplings.

http://www.simply7snacks.com/products/lentilchips/bruschetta.asp

I am immensely tempted to order that bulk box on Amazon as I can't imagine doing without it in the future as it was a totally random find at a Marshall's and there is no telling if they will get anymore in of that one or the other nifty looking Lentil/Hummus Chips the company puts out. If you find these in the wild, PURCHASE immediately and enjoy~!

All in all, tasty eats! Another random one next Saturday or so, then from there I think I ran into another 1-2 on a Kroger check but I'll have to double check my grand list to be sure on one of them.

Alucrid

Banned
ElectricThunder said:
http://imgur.com/6908A.jpg[IMG]

FINALLY, I got to have some nice, new pizza doings tonight!

[B]Cheese:[/B] Zamorano - Random find, fairly strong/semi-salty. A bit like a Romano in that it really should probably be best grated as it isn't much of a melter due to being so firm, yet crumbly. It was still pretty pleasant like this though, far moreso than how something like Paneer behaves.

[B]Sauce:[/B] Tiger Tiger Tikka - rubbed it all about the Chorizo there---tasty and rather hot despite it being a thing designed to be a fair bit more mild than the Vindaloo the same company puts out.

[B]THE CRUMBLE::[/B] [I]Simply 7 Bruschetta Lentil Chip[/I] Holy crap, these are far and away the best Bruschetta chips I've ever had and easily in contention for the Greatest Of Chips that I've yet discovered in my ravenous samplings.

[url]http://www.simply7snacks.com/products/lentilchips/bruschetta.asp[/url]

I am immensely tempted to order that bulk box on Amazon as I can't imagine doing without it in the future as it was a totally random find at a Marshall's and there is no telling if they will get anymore in of that one or the other nifty looking Lentil/Hummus Chips the company puts out. If you find these in the wild, PURCHASE immediately and enjoy~!

All in all, tasty eats! Another random one next Saturday or so, then from there I think I ran into another 1-2 on a Kroger check but I'll have to double check my grand list to be sure on one of them.[/QUOTE]

lol. I love the random shit that you can find at marshalls.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Made some meatballs. They fell apart and were way too dry. The last few things that I've made were disasters. :( I don't know how to cook anymore. :(

Dynedom

Did some autumn grilling now that the deck is done:

307744_10100670091558222_28105014_63974972_918520373_n.jpg

301121_10100670088444462_28105014_63974918_1376838290_n.jpg

Also boiled and then grilled some corn, which we then rolled in olive oil, balsamic and parmigiana cheese:

307173_10100670089073202_28105014_63974928_994965981_n.jpg

309056_10100670089632082_28105014_63974937_1185976043_n.jpg

Zyzyxxz

RatskyWatsky said:
Made some meatballs. They fell apart and were way too dry. The last few things that I've made were disasters. :( I don't know how to cook anymore. :(

chin up man! Only from failure can you learn and perfect your craft!

I once attempted a 72-hour sous vide short rib recipe and it was disastrous but that has not stopped me from working on sous vide cooking.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Zyzyxxz said:
chin up man! Only from failure can you learn and perfect your craft!

I once attempted a 72-hour sous vide short rib recipe and it was disastrous but that has not stopped me from working on sous vide cooking.

Thanks. I try to learn from my cooking mistakes (as well as the other mistakes I make...) but it's sometimes hard to find the silver lining. With the meatballs, everyone that tasted them ended up loving them, as long as they were slathered in sauce, so I guess they weren't TOO bad after all.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
RatskyWatsky said:
Thanks. I try to learn from my cooking mistakes (as well as the other mistakes I make...) but it's sometimes hard to find the silver lining. With the meatballs, everyone that tasted them ended up loving them, as long as they were slathered in sauce, so I guess they weren't TOO bad after all.

I've had meatballs end up crumbly once or twice, so instead I'll just put them in a pot of sauce and let the meat more or less dissolve into a pretty rockin' ragu.

Made some slow-roasted boneless pork ribs yesterday and wasn't too thrilled with the texture (too fatty to be eaten as a straight piece of meat) so I thinly sliced the remaining portion and did a stir fry with broccoli and Shirataki noodles tonight. This ended up being a great use of the pork since the texture was much nicer and it tasted better than my favorite takeout. I hate the idea of chalking up a cooking mistake to complete failure, so I'm always trying to figure out ways of working with whatever is there.

In the no-mistakes-at-all area, I'm a goddamn master of roasted chickens now. Very moist and juicy, deep brown, crispy skin, perfectly cooked through, and beautifully seasoned every time. Give me that with a big helping of sauteed leeks or caramelized onions and I'm a happy camper.

Dynedom

Thanksgiving lunch with turkey prep starting the night before!

Step 1: Defrost unseasoned (not pre-basted or pre-brined) turkey in water for like hours
320503_10100672301489502_28105014_64010877_682149110_n.jpg

Step 2: Make a brine (using a Maple Brine recipe from About.com this time. Missing ingredient in the first picture is bay leaves, which you'll see in the second picture)
312223_10100672300466552_28105014_64010856_1137321997_n.jpg

307323_10100672302487502_28105014_64010909_1731833342_n.jpg

Step 3: Brine turkey at around 1 hour per pound (mine took 11 hours overnight in the fridge) with about 1 gallon of brine (my turkey was a shade over 11 pounds)

Step 4: Remove from brine, rinse thoroughly and roast in oven for required time, basting with pan juices every 30 minutes

Step 5: Om nom nom nom (sorry for low-lighting)
295869_10100672303395682_28105014_64010936_788094868_n.jpg

thespot84

CrystalGemini said:
Wait WHAT. Someone tell me it's still October... :X

canadian thanksgiving, if i have my adjacent country doppelganger holidays right...

EDIT: Anyone have tips for a sourdough starter? would be nice to have around...

thespot84 said:
canadian thanksgiving, if i have my adjacent country doppelganger holidays right...

EDIT: Anyone have tips for a sourdough starter? would be nice to have around...
I've found starting the started with pineapple juice instead of water helps a lot. Just google pineapple juice sourdough starter. Something about the acidity and sugar in the juices help counteract the anti-culture stuff in most modern flours.

BAVHW.jpg

Chocolate cake donut with mocha glaze and powdered sugar for breakfast

Pk5w3.jpg

Lemon cake cupcake filled with lemon curd and topped with rosemary vanilla buttercream for dessert :9

...I'm on the fast track to diabeetus.

Dynedom

Harry Potter said:
I thought it was bad to defrost poultry in water?

As long as turkey is securely wrapped, it's fine. As a precaution (although I'm not sure for what), you have to change the water every 30 minutes. It also takes several hours.

Technically, you can even nuke a turkey in a microwave to defrost but you have to cook it immediately after. You can't even refrigerate it after (which you can do with water defrosting or fridge defrosting).

For the record, I would never nuke a turkey.

318612_563624829704_54301656_31510166_1070007117_n.jpg

My Friend's mom made a giant cupcake for my Birthday. The frosting and decoration was done by her kids (so they ended up doing it for the full thing instead of just the "cake" part).

But was soo good.

Made vegetarian ddokbokki for dinner last night because I was starving and in a rush.

Vegetarian because usually it has fish cakes, but I used veggie fishcakes instead.

Dynedom said:
As long as turkey is securely wrapped, it's fine. As a precaution (although I'm not sure for what), you have to change the water every 30 minutes. It also takes several hours.

Technically, you can even nuke a turkey in a microwave to defrost but you have to cook it immediately after. You can't even refrigerate it after (which you can do with water defrosting or fridge defrosting).

For the record, I would never nuke a turkey.
Thanks for the info. I once was defrosting some Cornish game hens in cold water and my brother acted like I was the biggest idiot ever.

Zyzyxxz

Harry Potter said:
Thanks for the info. I once was defrosting some Cornish game hens in cold water and my brother acted like I was the biggest idiot ever.

some people are too scared of germs I suppose?

As long as food cooks to temperature its fine, even though I've worked in restaurants I've never seen people complain about getting sick even though we may have defrosted stuff by running it under a sink.

Did a sort of "street food" themed bbq yesterday:
334q5tz.jpg

vdmix3.jpg

2589c7b.jpg

30ac2mw.jpg

11jx8ip.jpg

2mwrnki.jpg

jb0pdf.jpg

And random, but while shopping there were some fresh crawfish on sale so I was like HEY why not crawfish boil?!
2w32tki.jpg

1qpapc.jpg

Shawsie64

Banned
CrystalGemini said:
Yep. And chicken gizzards. They're really delicious, you just have to give them a shot. :)

My fiance loves those, I cant stomach them for some reason.. I don't think they taste bad just don't like the texture =/ I want to like them though!

Made pizza last night. Used the dough recipe posted by Ramma last page, came out very nice albeit ended up with flour EVERYWHERE

298023_10150336892683611_729593610_8145852_818089830_n.jpg

300888_10150336893213611_729593610_8145853_1691077265_n.jpg

ChanHuk said:
It's fall, Brussels sprouts are in season. Picked up a stalk of them at Trader Joe's for $3.

F-yeah! Where do you live? I haven't seen brussel sprouts at TJ yet but now you've made me super excited! Can't wait for some.

What are your favorite ways to make them?

I like just slicing them horizontally into thirds and pan-frying them with olive oil and shallots, then just some salt and pepper. It turns into kind of a hash. Delicious. If I'm feeling extra fancy, I'll throw in some tempeh bacon and diced potatoes.

beje said:
I'm currently getting all my japanese food recipe fix from this youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/cookingwithdog?blend=1&ob=4

It might be a little hard or expensive to track down some of the ingredients but it's really worth the time and money if you like japanese food. In this case, the only special ingredients were the noodles themselves (they come pre-cooked in a transparent package) and the yakisoba sauce which you can either buy already done in a ketchup-like package or do it yourself with soy sauce + oyster sauce + sake (if I'm not mistaken)
thanks, guess I'll try one or two things!

DJ_Lae

Got bored the other day and whipped up a carrot miso soup with some simple sushi (salmon) to go with it. Didn't turn out too badly, although I still haven't figured out how to roll it quite right.

gdjV0.jpg

VanWinkle

I used the pizza dough recipe you posted, Ramma, and it turned out amazing! It was the first time I made my own dough, so I was a little nervous but MAN it tastes fantastic!

DJ_Lae

Ramma2 said:
Looks way better than the first time I did it, though I did uramaki with the rice on the outside.

I've been tempted to try that but I always imagine it going horribly wrong. It's probably not as tricky as I think it is, though.

Anybody have a favorite recipe for onion rings? No beer in the house and I don't feel like going out for some, so some other kind of batter would be better.

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
F-yeah! Where do you live? I haven't seen brussel sprouts at TJ yet but now you've made me super excited! Can't wait for some.

What are your favorite ways to make them?

I like just slicing them horizontally into thirds and pan-frying them with olive oil and shallots, then just some salt and pepper. It turns into kind of a hash. Delicious. If I'm feeling extra fancy, I'll throw in some tempeh bacon and diced potatoes.

I don't think its quite cold enough yet for the best ones of the season. I've seen plenty in markets all year so I've been itching to cook some up once they really start coming into season.

Favorite ways: momofuku style (fried, tossed with pine nuts and fish sauce vinagrette) and creamed with bacon and garlic.

Ferrio said:
Making Pho for the first time... wish me luck. Pot currently simmering with all the stuff now.
http://steamykitchen.com/271-vietnamese-beef-noodle-soup-pho.html

Although I hate her recipes for the most part (she's a stay at home mom blogger =/ ) at least this one ain't bad at all, I've modified it a bit since I like to roast my bones instead of blanch them. If you dont mind can you share your method?

Ferrio

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
http://steamykitchen.com/271-vietnamese-beef-noodle-soup-pho.html

Although I hate her recipes for the most part (she's a stay at home mom blogger =/ ) at least this one ain't bad at all, I've modified it a bit since I like to roast my bones instead of blanch them. If you dont mind can you share your method?

That's the method I used, but I found out she took the recipe from http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2008/10/pho-beef-noodle-soup.html who's Vietnamese. So i figured it was authentic.

edit: The broth is done cooking too. I wish I knew how it tasted, but I burn my tongue hardcore trying it. Now I can't taste!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom