• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Sound like the bottom is cooking too fast relative to the top, and your temp is too high. Do you have access to an electric griddle? You can score one for <$30, and being able to set the temp makes a world of difference. I'm gonna take a wild guess here say that it's actually the butter that's burning, not the cakes.

Your temperature is definitely too high; on an electric range with 1-10 on the dials, I never turn it higher than 3½ for pancakes. Both sides come out perfectly golden every time, and I don't even use butter or oil in the pan.

It also sounds like the batter recipe could be off if they're falling apart. Too much milk and/or not enough egg.

So the temp was too high, might have been past four, close to five.

How can you not use butter or oil in the pan and yet it doesn't stick?

As for the batter, this is the recipe:

http://www.leftoverqueen.com/2011/03/10/the-best-gluten-free-pancakes-ever

1 package (7 grams) instant dry yeast
2 cups (500 grams) warm water (about 100°F)
1 teaspoon (4 grams) kosher salt
2 cups (260 grams) buckwheat flour
2 tablespoons (42 grams) blackstrap molasses
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon (14 grams) unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp of ground cinnamon

Zyzyxxz

So, I bought myself an induction cooktop today (Eurodib 1600W...was local, cheap, and well reviewed).

So, reading the manual, I notice it says to not put an empty pot on the induction cooktop. What's the reasoning for this? I was hoping that I could preheat a cast iron pan to sear a steak...maybe that's too much for the cooktop to handle?

by pot I'm pretty sure it means steel stuff thats rather thin in comparison to cast iron. Don't worry about overheating a cast iron pan it's not that easy.

thespot84

So the temp was too high, might have been past four, close to five.

How can you not use butter or oil in the pan and yet it doesn't stick?

As for the batter, this is the recipe:

http://www.leftoverqueen.com/2011/03/10/the-best-gluten-free-pancakes-ever

1 package (7 grams) instant dry yeast
2 cups (500 grams) warm water (about 100°F)
1 teaspoon (4 grams) kosher salt
2 cups (260 grams) buckwheat flour
2 tablespoons (42 grams) blackstrap molasses
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon (14 grams) unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp of ground cinnamon

I know cosmic mentioned not using butter, but honestly why? It's so delicious!

It may be the gluten free that prevents them from bubbling...just a theory.

Yeast-risen pancakes are sorta unusual, although that is of course almost certainly irrelevant here. As has been said, heat's got to be too high. If you're still having problems even after turning the heat down, I guess you could thin out the batter so the pancakes spread out more in the pan and cook through quicker.

I wonder if maybe molasses burns easier than refined sugar, too?

ChanHuk

Banned
If I wanted to get my wife a knife set for Christmas, what would be a good choice? Or recommend a good chef's knife.

Depends on how much you want to spend. A knife is really personal honestly, I dunno if you golf but its a lot like a putter. You have to try it out before you buy one. I have a Victorinox 8" chefs knife that I adore for $30.

Zyzyxxz

If I wanted to get my wife a knife set for Christmas, what would be a good choice? Or recommend a good chef's knife.

stay away from sets. Just get a good chef's knife or a santoku. If she preps a lot of veges maybe a nakiri or usuba. If you want something easy to sharpen try Shun or Wusthof.

If you want to give her a nice gift and are not afraid to spend a little I'd go with a shun. They're great knives and really cool looking

U0elb.jpg

thespot84

i know it's hard when buying a gift but one of the most important things is how the knife feels in your hand. handle, weight distribution, etc etc.

TheExodu5

Banned
If you want to give her a nice gift and are not afraid to spend a little I'd go with a shun. They're great knives and really cool looking

U0elb.jpg

I have this knife and it's awesome. Damned expensive though...it retails for around $250 on its own (I got it 40% off though, for roughly $150).

edit: oh wait, that's the Classic I think. That one retails for around $150. I have the Eite.

I just bought my mom a 6" Westhoff (I think that's what it's called) chef's knife. It was on sale on Amazon for $50 not long ago.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I like soups with lots of green and red peppers, lots of onions and some garlic. Everything else is extra.

DJ_Lae

So what are your go-to soups for winter? Any easy/cheap ones?

I've been going nuts with soups, although most of the time I'm just dumping in whatever veggies I have in my fridge and then tossing in some sort of grain or rice that I think might go with it. I have a ton of dried wild mushrooms that I want to try out (including some chantrelles) in a cream soup, but something about those make them seem intimidating.

I do make myself lentil soup once or twice a week, as it's a nice light and warm soup for all of these miserable days, and my daughter loves it. Cheap as hell, too (it's even replaced split pea soup for me):

-olive oil
-1 onion, 2 carrots, 2 celery sticks, chopped
-bay leaf
-1L chicken stock (I cheat and just use paste)
-1 cup red lentils
-salt and pepper to taste

I just saute the veggies for a while, then dump in everything else and let it simmer covered for about 15-20 minutes. You can add other spices to it too, I've tried garlic or cumin - the latter gives it a nice warm flavour, although maybe not desirable depending on what kind of sandwich you want to eat with it. I've even tossed in a bit of quinoa while cooking when I wanted to make it heartier.

ksgt9.jpg

Just thought I'd show off my super patched together sous-vide set-up. Discovered that will all the home brewing equipment I have laying around, I can set up a system the circulates ~130F water at a pretty stable and consistent rate. We'll see how it all works out in another 30 min or so.

Lw8RLl.jpg

And after a light sear, damn tasty. I will have to try this again in the future.

stay away from sets. Just get a good chef's knife or a santoku. If she preps a lot of veges maybe a nakiri or usuba. If you want something easy to sharpen try Shun or Wusthof.

If you want to give her a nice gift and are not afraid to spend a little I'd go with a shun.

Just a heads up but the 1pm EST lightning deal on amazon is "A gorgeous santoku chef's knife from the Shun Classic line" and the 3pm EST deal is "A Shun Classic 3-piece cutlery set".

Zyzyxxz

Just a heads up but the 1pm EST lightning deal on amazon is "A gorgeous santoku chef's knife from the Shun Classic line" and the 3pm EST deal is "A Shun Classic 3-piece cutlery set".

Hmm I might be tempted to pick up the Santoku since I'm missing that style from my collection but then again I might rather save for a real Damascus one. This will have to be cheap enough to justify it as a throwaway purchase down the line.

dyonPT

G4FNT.jpg

Good eats tonight with some new stuff!

Cheese: Welsh Powerful Cheddar Definitely some power to the flavour on top of it melting up real nice and real quick with a fair bit of oil to it. First cheese with a "Welsh" to it, be interesting to see if I can come across any others and how they might play out differently than the Irish ones.

Crumble: Kangaroo Multi-Grain Garden Herb Pita Chips Hard n' Crunchy with ample grains and seasoning to it....almost reminded me of a really good, flat crouton.

Sauce: KAME Szechuwan This....this is something my palate isn't used to. It definitely has some degree of heat to it, and a bit of the numbing factor I've heard of, but the rest of the flavour spectrum on it is kinda muddled and unidentifiable. All signs point to it having solid ingredient quality, so I can't really say it was bad so much as just so different I'm not sure what my take on it will be by the time I manage to polish off the small bottle.

Visceir

I enjoy making curry rice with chicken and corn. More specifically cooking the chicken fillet pieces on a frying pan with onions and corn added, then adding whipping cream and later on previously cooked rice. Of course I also add various spices & curry.

It's really easy to make and tastes yummy but I was wondering if any of you could maybe think of something to add to it to make it even better?

We just did old standards this weekend, I made four loaves of oatmeal bread using a variation on Ed Brown's Tassajara yeasted bread, which is my staple every two weeks.
Bread weekend again, decided to make this bread again. Tough getting high rising out of it with how cold it is in Maine right now, but I took some pictures anyway in case folks had never made bread by hand and were curious. I used a bunch of stuff from our local winter pantry CSA for these loaves: maple syrup for the sweetener to feed the yeast, locally milled whole wheat flour and oats.

Sponge is done after beating 100 times with spoon:
bread-1.JPG

Dough has been kneaded and first rise in progress:
bread-2.JPG

After punching down and in prep for second rise:
bread-3.JPG

Shaped into loaves and rising in buttered pans:
bread-4.JPG

Loaves have risen and been covered in an egg & cream wash (eggs from my chickens that morning :):
bread-5.JPG

After cooling on racks, first few slices:
bread-6.JPG

Whole process takes about five and half to six hours but it's mostly just empty time waiting for rising and baking, actual work is probably an hour.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
So... I need to learn to cook. Sick of eating fast and frozen food.

On Sundays and Mondays I'm going to learn my Grandmother's recipes one by one. Which will be amazing, knowing your Grandmother's secrets.

The rest of the week I work 40-60 hours.

She's says she'd only eat leftovers no later than three days after being cooked.

So, I either need ideas for things that'd last until Saturday after cooking on Monday or things that can be made extremely quickly Thursday-Saturday. Hamburgers is obvious, but I need variety.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So I tried to make the pancakes again, at lower heat, but it still got stuck to the pan.

So I did as I said I would: I took the rest of the mix and poured it in a large rectangular glass bowl, put it in the oven, and waited. It started to crack a bit (like a desert) but it was close to the consistency of pancakes. Cut out a piece, sprinkle some cinnamon and pour some maple syrup and it is delicious.

That's how I'll do it now, so much simpler and clear. Just put the thing in the oven, done!

I call them, ovencakes.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Any good spiral cut ham recipes/cooking tips? The ham comes with some glaze packets, but I rather do something myself. It my first ham. I always make turkey, but my fam wants ham instead. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom