• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love this thread, I need to start posting pictures myself.

EDIT: Whoa... every time I tried to subscribe I was getting a virus warning from the first page.

Zoe

Love this thread, I need to start posting pictures myself.

EDIT: Whoa... every time I tried to subscribe I was getting a virus warning from the first page.

One of the pictures is hosted on a bad domain.

You can subscribe from any page though.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Yes! I love cooking fish like this. If you like crispy skin (and have the skins till on the fillet) you can sear it with a little oil, skin side down an oven-proof skillet, flip then pop the whole thing into the preheated oven. The crispy skin + the moist, tender flesh makes a killer combo.

Damn, that's a great idea! I never thought of that. Next time I make fish I'm gonna try it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So, best chicken rubs/spices/sauces?

I bake chicken 3 times a week for dinner and like to vary up the spices and sauces. I've done the typical olive oil/salt/pepper, a basic Marsala, etc. Any other ideas?

CrankyJay

Banned

I bake chicken 3 times a week for dinner and like to vary up the spices and sauces. I've done the typical olive oil/salt/pepper, a basic Marsala, etc. Any other ideas?

You could try the sauce I mentioned in a few posts up about BBQ if you like vinegar based sauces. Would work well on chicken.

I have used a herb spice blend a lot recently. Mostly what ever is in the kitchen, but generally Thyme, Rosemary, Basil, Oregano. Add some Nutmeg, Salt, pepper and Paprika.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
You could try the sauce I mentioned in a few posts up about BBQ if you like vinegar based sauces. Would work well on chicken.

I have used a herb spice blend a lot recently. Mostly what ever is in the kitchen, but generally Thyme, Rosemary, Basil, Oregano. Add some Nutmeg, Salt, pepper and Paprika.

I'll give both a try. Chicken is great for me and I like eating it so keeping it varied is the key.

I can never remember what spices go best with which meats either. :p

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Anyone have an herb garden? I just got some herb plants and I'm not quite sure on how to take care of them, when to trim them, how much water they need, etc.

CrankyJay

Banned
I'll give both a try. Chicken is great for me and I like eating it so keeping it varied is the key.

I can never remember what spices go best with which meats either. :p

Alright, here it is...if you don't like spicy too much you could cut the pepper amounts in half. BTW, I made this on Sunday minus the white pepper and it was a hit with guests. The sauce is more on the watery side than the bbq sauce side which I prefer for chicken or pork.

VINEGAR SAUCE
2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons ketchup
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar, or more to taste
5 teaspoons salt, or more to taste
4 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper

Combine the vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, salt, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and white pepper with 1 1/3 cups of water in a nonreactive medium-size bowl and whisk until the sugar and salt dissolve. Taste for seasoning, adding more brown sugar and/or salt as necessary; the sauce should be piquant but not quite sour.

CrankyJay

Banned
Anyone have an herb garden? I just got some herb plants and I'm not quite sure on how to take care of them, when to trim them, how much water they need, etc.

Damn, I just planted one myself on Saturday...so I'm eager to hear this advice myself. So far I'm watering once in the morning and once at night and have them in a planter box in full sunlight.

CrankyJay

Banned
Awesome, thanks Jay. I am more of a fan of that style BBQ sauce anyways, I do love mustard sauces too.

Here's a good mustard sauce recipe I also make for pulled pork. I didn't have any liquid smoke so I didn't bother using it and it was still awesome.

1 1/2 cups prepared yellow mustard
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup cider vinegar
3/4 cup beer
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke flavoring
1 teaspoon Louisiana-style hot sauce, or to taste

Directions

In a heavy non-reactive saucepan, stir together the mustard, brown sugar, vinegar, and beer. Season with chili powder and black, white, and cayenne peppers. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, and cook for about 20 minutes. DO NOT BOIL, or you will scorch the sugar and peppers.

Mix in the Worcestershire sauce, butter, and liquid smoke. Simmer for another 15 to 20 minutes. Taste, and season with hot sauce to your liking. Pour into an airtight jar, and refrigerate for overnight to allow flavors to blend. The vinegar taste may be a little strong until the sauce completely cools.

Damn, I just planted one myself on Saturday...so I'm eager to hear this advice myself. So far I'm watering once in the morning and once at night and have them in a planter box in full sunlight.

I only water my herbs once in the morning and make sure to give them enough so that a little water starts pooling at the top. I don't like watering at night because 1.) basil doesn't like to stand in cold water and 2.) if your soil is moist at nights slugs/snails will love it.

What kind of herbs do you have? I have rosemary, thyme, lemon balm, and oregano all in one giant pot and they seem to be doing fine. They're in partial sun. I just snip them with scissors when I need them. If they start flowering (especially the thyme), just snip off the tips with the flowers to keep the plant going.

I have a separate pot for basil that I put in full sun (south-facing). I try to pinch off leaves even when I'm not going to use basil to keep the plant bushy. Make sure to leave the two biggest lower leaves on because they will be the "solar panels" for each stalk of the plant. When pinching off leaves, pinch off at the stem before the V starts, if that makes sense. So instead of just pinching off individual leaves, go lower to where the "joint" is and pinch off below that. Every part you pinch off will produce 2 more branches, so doing so will promote bushiness.

Then I have a terragon plant, but I don't really do anything to it other than water it when I water the basil.

totowhoa

Banned
Yeah I just water my herb plants once every morning. They are in direct sunlight for half the day or so. In one large pot I have basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, and parsley. I have cilantro and mint in separate pots. Almost got some pineapple sage this year. Tried a leaf at the garden store and it was delicious. Would be good in tea or fruit salads

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I only water my herbs once in the morning and make sure to give them enough so that a little water starts pooling at the top. I don't like watering at night because 1.) basil doesn't like to stand in cold water and 2.) if your soil is moist at nights slugs/snails will love it.

What kind of herbs do you have? I have rosemary, thyme, lemon balm, and oregano all in one giant pot and they seem to be doing fine. They're in partial sun. I just snip them with scissors when I need them. If they start flowering (especially the thyme), just snip off the tips with the flowers to keep the plant going.

I have a separate pot for basil that I put in full sun (south-facing). I try to pinch off leaves even when I'm not going to use basil to keep the plant bushy. Make sure to leave the two biggest lower leaves on because they will be the "solar panels" for each stalk of the plant. When pinching off leaves, pinch off at the stem before the V starts, if that makes sense. So instead of just pinching off individual leaves, go lower to where the "joint" is and pinch off below that. Every part you pinch off will produce 2 more branches, so doing so will promote bushiness.

Then I have a terragon plant, but I don't really do anything to it other than water it when I water the basil.

Yeah I just water my herb plants once every morning. They are in direct sunlight for half the day or so. In one large pot I have basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, and parsley. I have cilantro and mint in separate pots. Almost got some pineapple sage this year. Tried a leaf at the garden store and it was delicious. Would be good in tea or fruit salads

Thanks for the tips. I have basil, oregano, thyme, sage, rosemary, parsley, and cilantro all in separate pots. I water them every morning and they're in direct sunlight for most of the day.

totowhoa

Banned
You should be fine. If you have a few stressful days and forget to water and the plants start looking like hell, don't give up on them. Herbs are generally quite resilient. I've abused my plants before and they'll perk right back up. Try not to though of course :p once per day in the morning and you'll be fine! If it rains consecutively be careful of pooling water in the pots as they can drown.

CrankyJay

Banned

I have chives, garlic chives, sage, Italian oregano, greek oregano, sweet basil, lemon basil, rosemary, thyme, dill and cilantro.

Right now everything is in a 32 x 32" planter box that is elevated and I think I will need to remove the more rampant stuff into clay pots or something so they will have room to grow. I'm a total newb at this but I am aware I am probably crowding my herbs in that box (i have 12 plants in that tiny space).

Thank you for the advice.

Ezio

So, what would you guys recommend recipe wise for a new cook? I don't have much experiencce, I watch a ton of cooking shows. But I really want to start cooking for real, not just grilling out food. Any tips would be helpful!

If you're new new then maybe try making some casseroles? They're usually pretty easy, you can take your time, and there's generally no "scary" elements of cook with hot oil or flaming pans or anything like that.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, what would you guys recommend recipe wise for a new cook? I don't have much experiencce, I watch a ton of cooking shows. But I really want to start cooking for real, not just grilling out food. Any tips would be helpful!
Hi and welcome.
I'd recommend the first home-style cooking thread, link is in the OP. Several recipes with step by step prep pics.

Dinner was chicken breast "stuffed" with goat cheese, roasted red peppers, basil, some other herbs for seasoning. First time doing stuffed chicken breast, working with goat cheese or roasting peppers.

iC7DW3cUnFh7k.jpg

It was good and juicy. I will have to see about making a sauce though next time from all the stuff left on the pan. Next time I should try to butterfly the chicken instead of pounding it thin and then use toothpicks or something else to hold the stuffing in place.

What kind of foods are you hankering for? Sides? Entrees? Soups/Stews? Snacks?

I recently taught my sister a really simple side: cucumber and tomato salad. Just dice (or slice if you like larger chunks) a cucumber and tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, then toss with fresh lime juice, olive oil and cilantro (I used mint though - hate cilantro).

Didn't take a picture myself but it looks like this:
700544972_564e118f79.jpg

fresh-tomato-cucumber-salad-recipe.jpg

This week I will teach her how to make a caprese salad (which is essentially the same thing but with like one or two different ingredients).

Ezio

What kind of foods are you hankering for? Sides? Entrees? Soups/Stews? Snacks?

I recently taught my sister a really simple side: cucumber and tomato salad. Just dice (or slice if you like larger chunks) a cucumber and tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, then toss with fresh lime juice, olive oil and cilantro (I used mint though - hate cilantro).

Didn't take a picture myself but it looks like this:
700544972_564e118f79.jpg

fresh-tomato-cucumber-salad-recipe.jpg

This week I will teach her how to make a caprese salad (which is essentially the same thing but with like one or two different ingredients).

That looks awesome and I bet it tastes great! Fresh, and easy stuff like this is basically what I'm looking for now something as far as an entree would be great as well.

Kwixotik

Can anyone recommend a good book to start to learn how to cook? I have absolutely no experience other then boiling pasta and cooking ground beef.

totowhoa

Banned
Can anyone recommend a good book to start to learn how to cook? I have absolutely no experience other then boiling pasta and cooking ground beef.

While not my favorite cooking book to go to for recipes, the Cooks Illustrated collection book breaks down how to cook nearly every kind of meat, dish, etc. It goes in depth on technique, dos and donts, and explains why. Really handy learning tool. The book doesn't necessarily have the best recipes, but if I'm cooking a new dish or meat, I reference it. As a new cook, you'll really enjoy the scope of the book and all that it offers. It really makes zero assumptions about the knowledge of the reader which is why I'd recommend it.

Edit: I should add that the recipes aren't bad, and some are great, but many seem exceptionally "safe".

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
While not my favorite cooking book to go to for recipes, the Cooks Illustrated collection book breaks down how to cook nearly every kind of meat, dish, etc. It goes in depth on technique, dos and donts, and explains why. Really handy learning tool. The book doesn't necessarily have the best recipes, but if I'm cooking a new dish or meat, I reference it. As a new cook, you'll really enjoy the scope of the book and all that it offers. It really makes zero assumptions about the knowledge of the reader which is why I'd recommend it

Could you link to it on Amazon (or just post the exact title)? I'm seeing a few results that are all sort of like that, and want to be sure to grab the right one (and the newest edition).

CrankyJay

Banned
Dinner was chicken breast "stuffed" with goat cheese, roasted red peppers, basil, some other herbs for seasoning. First time doing stuffed chicken breast, working with goat cheese or roasting peppers.

iC7DW3cUnFh7k.jpg

It was good and juicy. I will have to see about making a sauce though next time from all the stuff left on the pan. Next time I should try to butterfly the chicken instead of pounding it thin and then use toothpicks or something else to hold the stuffing in place.

Looks tasty man. Good job.

Today's Brunch! Egg Bhurji (Indian Masala Scrambled Eggs)

ib2BFUOlPja1OH.jpg

10 minutes to prepare, amazing taste! Have it with bread, chapati, Paratha or just by itself.

Sorry for shitty cellphone pics

kPzjf.jpg

Good times.

Cheese: Sage Derby Well, it may have taken me several months, but here I've finally more or less knocked off a cheese that was on my Grand To Do List as opposed to the many excellent new ones of late that I'd not been aware of in the slightest.

Melts OK, though it doesn't have much grip to it. Highlight is the rather oily nature of it mixed with all that infused Sage....nice Sage'ish Oil~

Crumble: Simply Sprouted Way Better Snacks Sweet Chili Tortilla Chips Holy shit I've reached a mountaintop in terms of the Tortilla world at the very least---best by far I've ever had period! The sweet chili came through nicely with a touch of heat and much more flavour and the myriad grains and such in it were filled with newcomers ingredient-wise even out of the grand dash of it I've been having with chips alongside my cheese hunting.

If you see this, buy it, eat it, then go back and buy more of it to hoard.

Bonus: Nifty Irish food travelogue mini-series that premiered today on the local public TV station...and apparently already has the entire series up freely with links to relevant businesses and whatnot. I now understand why the good times roll so easily with the Irish cheeses thus far----nifty cow breed/locale!

http://www.irishfoodtrails.com/

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Today's Brunch! Egg Bhurji (Indian Masala Scrambled Eggs)

10 minutes to prepare, amazing taste! Have it with bread, chapati, Paratha or just by itself.

Sorry for shitty cellphone pics

Ooh, that looks good. Link to a recipe?

PG2G

So, I tried a beer braised short rib recipe last night. It tastes good but there is just waaay too much fat.

Anyone have any suggestions for how to avoid this in the future? The first part of the recipe was to cook the short ribs in a pan until brown on all sides and then dump out most of the fat. I'm a cooking newbie, but my guess is I should have done this longer in order to render the fat?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Fabiollo, those buns look delicious! I'd appreciate the recipe.

So, I tried a beer braised short rib recipe last night. It tastes good but there is just waaay too much fat.

Anyone have any suggestions for how to avoid this in the future? The first part of the recipe was to cook the short ribs in a pan until brown on all sides and then dump out most of the fat. I'm a cooking newbie, but my guess is I should have done this longer in order to render the fat?

Fat in the sauce or fat on the meat? if the former, I'd skim the sauce again right before serving.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
The sauce wasn't too bad, it was mainly the meat. Maybe I just got some really fatty pieces from the butcher.

That's not a problem, it's totally fine to cut away the fat from the meat before eating. Leave it on the meat while cooking/braising, though, it adds to the tenderness and juicyness of the cuts.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
2. Smoked brisket, came out a littler drier than I would have liked.

JjHz1l.jpg

Did you foil it? Foil does wonders to brisket, pretty much guarantees that it won't dry out.

Try it next time, a lot easier to not ended up with a dried out brisket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom