• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooh, that looks good. Link to a recipe?

It is one of those things where every house in India can have their own way of making Bhurji (if they eat eggs that is). Here is a nice video recipe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqkhe1AU4uw

How I made it (for 2 eggs):
Saute Diced Onions - around 3/4 cups until they are translucent/soft but not browned. Around 2-3 minutes
Added red pepper and red chili pepper - Around 2 minutes. I recommend using tomatoes too 1/2 cup.
Added 2 Tbsp ketchup (If using tomatoes, probably only 1 Tbsp needed). Also can add chili sauce if needed. Around a minute here. Also add Cilantro if you have it (I didn't)
Added salt, pepper, pinch of tumeric, cumin and red chili powder.
Whisk 2 eggs with some salt and pepper lightly.
Add mixture to pan and stir constantly until eggs are done to your liking.
Topped with some sharp cheddar and chives by me at the end.

Made a phenomenal jambalaya. And since I'm the only one eating it I loaded it up with hot sausage and tons of cayenne. OM NOM NOM!

Also made lemon pie bars which look good but I haven't had a chance to try yet.

Fabiollo

Fabiollo, those buns look delicious! I'd appreciate the recipe.

I found the recipe here: http://www.unamericanaincucina.com/2010/09/burger-buns/
An American blogger, living in Italy and blogging in Italian about American food. It's a really accurate recipe, and really easy as well. I'll try and translate it. Bear with me, my culinary english is weak.

--

180 ml warm water
30 g butter (take it out of the fridge in advance, we need it soft)
1 egg
450 g flour
50 g sugar
1 teaspoon salt
7 g brewer's yeast

--

Mix everything and knead the dough. Put it in a bowl (be sure to make it "nonstick" using a little oil), cover it and let it rise for 1 hour (ideally 2 hours). The dough will double in size.

Cut the dough in 8 pieces and shape the bread (roughly 8 cm wide, 3 cm high). Put them on a slightly grease baking pan, cover them, let them rise for another hour.

Preheat the oven at 190°C. Paint the bread with a solution of one egg and a teaspoon of water, add sesame seeds. Cooking time in the oven: 15 minutes.

Enjoy!

Some stuff jalapenos I made last night. Stuffed with shrimp, smoked bacon, green onion, and sharp cheddar. Bread crumbs lightly on top for some extra crunch. Excuse the horrid countertop.
0vpuk.jpg

Somebody posted this on my facebook and it sort of made me want to throw up.

Cupcakewurst: grillable cupcakes in sausage casings

http://i.imgur.com/qRt1m.jpg?1

I am intrigued...

That looks really tasty...

Here is a fried apple pie with homemade ice cream and caramel. I thought about adding a few more things like chopped nuts, but eh. Why complicate it?

BhV8Q.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I found the recipe here: http://www.unamericanaincucina.com/2010/09/burger-buns/
An American blogger, living in Italy and blogging in Italian about American food. It's a really accurate recipe, and really easy as well. I'll try and translate it. Bear with me, my culinary english is weak.

--

180 ml warm water
30 g butter (take it out of the fridge in advance, we need it soft)
1 egg
450 g flour
50 g sugar
1 teaspoon salt
7 g brewer's yeast

--

Mix everything and knead the dough. Put it in a bowl (be sure to make it "nonstick" using a little oil), cover it and let it rise for 1 hour (ideally 2 hours). The dough will double in size.

Cut the dough in 8 pieces and shape the bread (roughly 8 cm wide, 3 cm high). Put them on a slightly grease baking pan, cover them, let them rise for another hour.

Preheat the oven at 190°C. Paint the bread with a solution of one egg and a teaspoon of water, add sesame seeds. Cooking time in the oven: 15 minutes.

Enjoy!

Thanks, much appreciated.

CrankyJay

Banned
Did you foil it? Foil does wonders to brisket, pretty much guarantees that it won't dry out.

Try it next time, a lot easier to not ended up with a dried out brisket.

No...I think my issue was I was going for 185 in the thickest part of the flat causing the ends to go well above that.

I did foil and rest it after I pulled it off the smoker for 2-3 hours tho. This is my second brisket, the first time I tried I used the high heat method and foiled it but it wasn't tender enough. This time it was tender on one half and crumbly on the other and a bit dried out for my liking.

Back to the drawing board!

Wouldn't foiling it cause it to cook faster?

edit: p.s...this was a 6.32 pound brisket flat. I ended up trimming a little bit of the fat cap off (leaving about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch fat), and I also had a 7 pound pork butt on at the same time. I kept the brisket on the lower rack of my smoker so the pork would baste it with fatty goodness, and also the lower rack is cooler than the upper one.

CrankyJay

Banned
Weekend eats:

1. Burgers grilled up with homemade garlic/jalepeno/dill pickles. Used muenster cheese on this, mayo, ketchup, onion, lettuce and tomato. Toasted buns...one plain, one everything.

9d0F5l.jpg

2. Grilled bone in pork chop, grilled onion, grilled portobella mushroom brushed with Worcestershire sauce and balsamic vinegar, steamed broccoli.

ibZgYl.jpg

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
No...I think my issue was I was going for 185 in the thickest part of the flat causing the ends to go well above that.

I did foil and rest it after I pulled it off the smoker for 2-3 hours tho. This is my second brisket, the first time I tried I used the high heat method and foiled it but it wasn't tender enough. This time it was tender on one half and crumbly on the other and a bit dried out for my liking.

Back to the drawing board!

Wouldn't foiling it cause it to cook faster?

edit: p.s...this was a 6.32 pound brisket flat. I ended up trimming a little bit of the fat cap off (leaving about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch fat), and I also had a 7 pound pork butt on at the same time. I kept the brisket on the lower rack of my smoker so the pork would baste it with fatty goodness, and also the lower rack is cooler than the upper one.

About foiling...there was somewhat of a twitter war, started by Anthony Bourdain, against foiling of brisket. Supposedly it ends up steaming the meat, and also ruining the bark. A while bunch of people joined in, among them Alton Brown and Nathan Myhrvold (author of Modernist Cuisine and also a National BBQ champ, and more or less backed Bourdain up. So I'd be hesitant about the foiling.

Although Alton Brown stated:
Alton Brown ‏@altonbrown
If you want "moist" smoked brisket a foil wrap braise is almost required at the end. If you want more smoke and flavor, skip it.

If you want to read the whole debate, go to https://twitter.com/#!/NoReservations and scroll down to April 13th (a lot of scrolling).

CrankyJay

Banned
About foiling...there was somewhat of a twitter war, started by Anthony Bourdain, against foiling of brisket. Supposedly it ends up steaming the meat, and also ruining the bark. A while bunch of people joined in, among them Alton Brown and Nathan Myhrvold (author of Modernist Cuisine and also a National BBQ champ, and more or less backed Bourdain up. So I'd be hesitant about the foiling.

Although Alton Brown stated:

If you want to read the whole debate, go to https://twitter.com/#!/NoReservations and scroll down to April 13th (a lot of scrolling).

I wouldn't foil until after the bark and smoke is set in anyway, and I actually like softening up the bark a bit (after it is set).

I also wouldn't foil unless I was trying to speed up the cook. I have a few things I will try differently next time.

I love Bourdain, but he's not a professional BBQ'er (and either am I, apparently).

edit: Awesome tho that people talk BBQ here...probably not enough for a spin off thread.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I wouldn't foil until after the bark and smoke is set in anyway, and I actually like softening up the bark a bit (after it is set).

I also wouldn't foil unless I was trying to speed up the cook. I have a few things I will try differently next time.

I love Bourdain, but he's not a professional BBQ'er (and either am I, apparently).

edit: Awesome tho that people talk BBQ here...probably not enough for a spin off thread.

Neither am I, far from it (never done any BBQ tbh). But he did have a bunch of BBQ guys chime in on his side. #BBQSnob and some other guys. Pretty interesting discussion actually.

There was a BBQ thread, but it only had 1 page of discussion (it was right at the bottom of my subscriptions page)

BBQ thread of American Recommendations OT of the US of A

CrankyJay

Banned
Neither am I, far from it (never done any BBQ tbh). But he did have a bunch of BBQ guys chime in on his side. #BBQSnob and some other guys. Pretty interesting discussion actually.

There was a BBQ thread, but it only had 1 page of discussion (it was right at the bottom of my subscriptions page)

BBQ thread of American Recommendations OT of the US of A

Haha, what is being described in that thread is GRILLING!

Nomenclature in the US is all different, and most people think BBQ'ing is cooking hamburgers and hotdogs on the grill. BBQ is cooking low and slow with smoke. =)

Made Parmesan crusted chicken last night. More branching out from my normal cooking, first time trying something like this.

ibcZO86MvIonx9.jpg

To keep it low carb I used Almond Meal and salt instead of Flour for first coating. I made the mistake getting too much egg on them doing my first egg wash. Then mixture of freshly shredded Parmesan cheese, rosemary, pepper and some Paprika.

It was awesome. Even had a co worker try it today and she liked it.

Now I just need to start making some low carb sauces

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Cartoon_soldier, how did you cook that stuffed chicken breast earlier? Pan fry or roast?

Haly

Much obliged, after I saw it I picked up some chicken breasts, mushrooms, and mozzarella on my latest grocery trip to attempt something similar.

Very Indian Street Dish for dinner - Boil Fry

I learnt somewhat how to make it from a nearby street vendor during my childhood days

ibeAPQoCpQPovk.jpg

The concept is same as my masala scrambled eggs (egg bhurji before), but only with cut boiled eggs. Also, a lot more drier as you are using boiled eggs.

And I ended up burning the onions :(

Flynn

I just bought a paella pan. Can't wait to try it. Any tips?

I used a gas grill (the kind with two concentric heating elements) and that worked like a charm. It is a weird piece of equipment to have, but I can now see the benefit. The rice cooked very evenly.

I made sure to use Gasparra/Bomba rice as the recipe suggested. It swelled up very nicely.

I've been craving zebra for a while now so I finally baked it today

Looks delicious! I love marble cake.

Made vegetarian lu ro fan for dinner tonight:

Traditionally, it's made with ground pork. The flavor of my version was the same, but the texture just wasn't the same. I need to find something to substitute the fatty richness of ground pork.

TheExodu5

Banned
Finally got around to buying a De Buyer carbon steel frying pan last weekend. Gave it its first seasoning and christened it with a nice t-bone steak. Worked like a charm. It's not got some nice black marbling to it. Hopefully after a few more cooking sessions with fatty meats I can be on my way to cooking eggs on this thing.

totowhoa

Banned
Oh man, abstract alien, both those posts (oh so far above mine) look fantastic!

I made two amazing dishes yesterday. Lunch was a warm pasta with arugula, sun-dried tomatoes, kalamata olives, feta cheese, and a simple, tasty dressing. Probably my new favorite 25 minute lunch (a lot of it is waiting for pasta to boil), but I'd recommend doubling the arugula. Best of all was that I had every ingredient sitting in my kitchen, sans the arugula. It had a fantastic combination of flavors (even better than it sounds on paper, but I'm a sucker for arugula). Anybody interested in a nice vegetarian lunch with a Mediterranean flare should definitely give it a go:

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/shell_pasta_arugula_feta.aspx

I took a pic but I haven't uploaded it yet. I also think it looks better with farfalle I used :)

Dinner was a Spanish-inspired roast chicken. Apologies to Spaniards if this is not actually very Spanish at all--I wouldn't truly know :p My fiance dismembered a whole chicken (she often does the annoying work) and we proceeded to make a honey-cumin roast chicken with olives and apricots. It was fantastic. Absolutely great. I had no idea what to think of it at first when I read the recipe as I'd never tried olive and apricot with chicken, but it was great. Totally recommend it. A fresh take on a whole roasted chicken for me personally. Cook times were WAY off for my oven though (mine cooked faster), but I was basting it regularly so no biggie. It was very easy to adjust. Try it, chicken lovers:

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/spanish-honey-cumin-roast-chicken-apricots-olives.aspx

No picture for this guy either :p For lunch and dinner today.... I ate leftovers.

Zyzyxxz

So my friend wanted to eat prime rib while he was still in town. I never turn down an opportunity to cook for a group.

Started with real prime grade rib roast, bone in.
7247325496_83360b9716_b.jpg

Torch the outside before you put it in the oven to help it get that nice crust without overcooking the exterior too much. It's a Thomas Keller technique from Ah Hoc At Home. The reason there are two pieces? I asked the butcher for 8 lbs and it looked kinda small so I was worried it wouldn't be enough so I didn't want to be an asshole and ask for a bigger piece after he already cut it so I decided to grab another ribeye.
7247325404_5e5b292a74_b.jpg

So slicing and plating. Usually the bone comes out a bit rare so I like to put it under the broiler to get a nice crispy crust.
7247325262_ca498a940b_b.jpg

The spread, with creamed corn, creamed spinach, mashed potatoes, and gravy to go with it.
7247325178_19cb3c0258_o.jpg

Aftermath of course.
7247325024_a514064029_b.jpg

Looks delicious! I love marble cake.

Made vegetarian lu ro fan for dinner tonight:
Traditionally, it's made with ground pork. The flavor of my version was the same, but the texture just wasn't the same. I need to find something to substitute the fatty richness of ground pork.

Have you considered using eggplant to replace the texture of fat?

CrankyJay

Banned
Zyzyxxz, your posts are making me consider leaving my wife and moving out near you to befriend you and eat your food. I'll bring my smoker.

Haly

What's the gravy made out of?

I assume drippings from the roast and some other stuff?

ShinAmano

I agree. I used to lurk on the BGE forums to get my fix, but if you guys are smoking I am all about sharing ideas.

On that note...I am heading to the beach tomorrow night and I plan to do somethign on the grill. The grill is a gas grill that looks pretty nice...but I have never done any sort of BBQ on a gas grill.

Would ribs be the way to go? They are simple enough on my egg so i cant imagine that on a gass grill they would be hard (outside of the smoke).

CrankyJay

Banned
I agree. I used to lurk on the BGE forums to get my fix, but if you guys are smoking I am all about sharing ideas.

On that note...I am heading to the beach tomorrow night and I plan to do somethign on the grill. The grill is a gas grill that looks pretty nice...but I have never done any sort of BBQ on a gas grill.

Would ribs be the way to go? They are simple enough on my egg so i cant imagine that on a gass grill they would be hard (outside of the smoke).

Well, you could take some wood chips and soak them and then wrap them in heavy foil and poke some holes in it. Then you set it above one of the heating elements, but even then you have to get the grill hot enough to make the wood chips smolder. It's not ideal.

You'd want the ribs on the other side of the grill away from the heat source so it doesn't get any direct heat.

I've tried this with a smaller pork shoulder and it look like 6 hours and it's just not the same, but you gotta go with what you can work with.

You could always just do the ribs in the oven until they are tender than crisp them up on the grill if you like that, but then you wouldn't really get any smoke flavor.

Haly

Stuffed chicken breasts turn out a little less than satisfactory. Somewhat dry, and a very light flavor. I thought the mozzarella would add more body to it but I guess fresh mozzarella isn't very strong.

If only I had some bacon on hand.

Have you considered using eggplant to replace the texture of fat?

I haven't thought of that, but that might work. Should I fry the diced eggplant separately in oil first? Then when it stews, it gets pretty melty and soft? I was thinking of adding agar flakes in with the sauce to give it the thickness that pork fat usually does.

So in keeping with my tradition of attacking at the unknown, yet compelling, it has at last dawned on me that not only did I really enjoy those dry roasted chickpeas I picked up from many months back----but also that I've never had any falafel, neither baked nor I suspect the superior fried rendition.

What should I look for in terms of quality when hunting for perhaps some sort of bagged mix of the stuff to cook up one way or the other IronGAF? A brief Wiki jaunt only tells me that I know I don't want onions or fava beans in the mix...but from there...?

Zyzyxxz

I haven't thought of that, but that might work. Should I fry the diced eggplant separately in oil first? Then when it stews, it gets pretty melty and soft? I was thinking of adding agar flakes in with the sauce to give it the thickness that pork fat usually does.

Not really sure it depends on how long you cook it for because too long and it will disentegrate. So I would just add it in before its done cooking. No idea how agar works either.

RfUDh.jpg

For better or worse, this is probably the best meal I'll get all Memorial Day Weekend proper----last night was a glorious time out and about though with my first multi-course meal, no pics of course lacking any portable camera : /.

Cheese: Rocinante Media Curacion They are all different, but I guess this is the black sheep thus far of the Rocinante stable----it is definitely the creamiest of the lot, but I miss the utterly delicious/plentiful oil of the Super and the wonderful aroma of the Cabra. Still melts decently as always, if a bit of a browning tendency.

Crumble: Baked Lays Southwestern Ranch This did the trick nicely for such a strange looking chip as far as contributing a nice, relatively mild, peppery kick to everything.

I must have that.

EDIT: Is there a way to make or simulate mascarpone cheese? I'd like to try to make tiramisu but I live in the middle of nowhere and my grocery store doesn't have something so 'fancy'.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Oreos Chocolate cake

DSC08144_2.jpg

Thank you guys for all the nice comments :)

Much classier than the "Slutty Brownie" I do say.
T1EYDl.jpg

Looks absolutely delicious. I love your photography style too.

edit: I'm doing a pool party today for US Memorial day. Fixing pork ribs, burgers, hotdogs, probably some bbq chicken. I cooked about a gallon of my homemade BBQ sauce last night. I'll try to remember to take some shots and post them up later on.

Anyone else have big memorial day cooking plans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom