• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrankyJay

Banned
Made ribs on the smoker yesterday. Grilling up marinated chicken for souvlaki today and tomorrow is grilled Italian sausage sand burgers and dogs.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Is there a way to make or simulate mascarpone cheese? I'd like to try to make tiramisu but I live in the middle of nowhere and my grocery store doesn't have something so 'fancy'.

Mascarpone is fairly distinctive and unlike, say, buttermilk, there isn't really an ideal way to make a substitute. That said, blending cream cheese and sour cream at roughly a 4:1 ratio with a couple small splashes of heavy cream is a solid alternative.

Zyzyxxz

So since I spend most of my cooking time at work here's a few pics from the kitchen:

Made pasta for staff meal:
7278323664_3f78b3e3d4_c.jpg

Gotta concasse those tomatoes:
7278323890_a315cc3cae_c.jpg

Didn't have a couple hours so the sauce only simmered for an hour or so.
7278324378_1cfc1e7bd6_c.jpg

Fancy bowl plate woot!
7278324686_525b0280e8_c.jpg

Chicken wings from the menu: dusted in szechuan peppercorns and aji amarillo ranch sauce
7278325654_a85baf19f8_c.jpg

DAT pig ears!
7278324882_7b7d8b8f8c_c.jpg

Braised, sealed, and ready to be fried!
7278325990_971cd39e92_c.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I've been doing a lot of cakes lately and while the end result is nice enough, it all feels so... fussy. Starting to think I just want to focus on being a breadmaker. Bread is amazing.

z91E1.jpg

FuU0B.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Zyzyxxz

I've been doing a lot of cakes lately and while the end result is nice enough, it all feels so... fussy. Starting to think I just want to focus on being a breadmaker. Bread is amazing.

I think focusing on your pastry skills would make you more valuable in the job market but focus on bread on the side?

There's always good work for pastry chefs who can make killer bread as well.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I think focusing on your pastry skills would make you more valuable in the job market but focus on bread on the side?

There's always good work for pastry chefs who can make killer bread as well.

Yeah, you're probably right.

I recently had a job offer to become the baker/pastry chef for the restaurant in Norstrom, and they did a great job of selling me on it, but now that I've been there for about a month... Man, it's just soul-crushing. I make [mandatory] total shit out of a corporate recipe book and have no time whatsoever to work on the creative things they want from me. Never should've left my other job for a minor pay raise. :\

los

So since I spend most of my cooking time at work here's a few pics from the kitchen:

Chicken wings from the menu: dusted in szechuan peppercorns and aji amarillo ranch sauce

Aji amarillo ranch sauce sounds delicious. Do you use fresh aji? I'm not sure I've ever seen fresh or otherwise for sale around where I live (Houston).

jet1911

I had egg whites leftover from making Nutella ice cream this week so I made some meringues!

542445_10150920903983a580u.jpg

It's dangerously easy to eat lol

Edit:

008_resizeft7vd.jpg

009_resize9g7vx.jpg

The ones that are a bit more "burned" are still really good. Taste like a marshmallow grilled on a fire. :)

Can anyone recommend a good marinade/sauce for chicken kebabs? I used a light yakitori sauce for these and they tasted great but I've had better.
At_kGErCAAA3IcX.jpg

Using a griddle pan and an indoor grill.

TheExodu5

Banned
Has anyone ever tried making Heston Blumenthal's Bacon and Egg ice cream? I'm tempted to try it...though I'd need to get my hands on dry ice.

I had egg whites leftover from making Nutella ice cream this week so I made some meringues!
My wife does a variant of these where she gets the peaks a bit higher and then puts two small chocolate dots in for eyes and you get cute little ghost meringues. Adorable, fun to eat. I have a photo of them somewhere I'll have to see if I can dig them up.

Zyzyxxz

Made some seared fish that my parent's friend caught. Don't know what it was but it wasn't that great. Started with making a stock out of chicken broth, chinese sausage, dried shrimp, onions, ginger, and shitake.
7292514268_c0642e781a_c.jpg

Seared the fish and basted in butter.
7292514450_351f0a1dff_c.jpg

Deglaze and throw in the veges and other bits.
7292514836_78f51c1c1c_c.jpg

Plated.
7292513990_dd06525e5e_c.jpg

Had a busy day yesterday - made an enormous batch of chili, enchiladas, brownies, and asian coleslaw salad. All turned out great. Especially the asian coleslaw salad. I could eat just that for the rest of my life and be happy.

Talon

Had a busy day yesterday - made an enormous batch of chili, enchiladas, brownies, and asian coleslaw salad. All turned out great. Especially the asian coleslaw salad. I could eat just that for the rest of my life and be happy.
I would love for you to share that asian coleslaw recipe. :)

Zyzyxxz

Apologize for not getting around to posting the results of the burger testing. Everytime I made one I sent it out before snapping a pic. Bacon, cheddar cheese, mizuna greens, guacamole.
7300574450_db49fc6e7a_c.jpg

Other things I've been working on:

Fried chickpeas dusted in Sriracha salt.
7300574752_6fa7d13294_c.jpg

Cripsy pig ears with a aji amarillo ranch, although I'll probably change the sauce since I haven't developed one for this yet.
7300575012_6053cf6126_c.jpg

No prob. I can type it out when I get home. I have a big bowl of it for lunch again today. I will warn you beforehand to not get your hopes up as its nothing too fancy. Its more on the level of junk food as it includes ramen noodles but it tastes great. It also makes a lot at one go so its good for picnics and stuff.

Apologize for not getting around to posting the results of the burger testing. Everytime I made one I sent it out before snapping a pic. Bacon, cheddar cheese, mizuna greens, guacamole.

Other things I've been working on:

Fried chickpeas dusted in Sriracha salt.
7300574752_6fa7d13294_c.jpg

Cripsy pig ears with a aji amarillo ranch, although I'll probably change the sauce since I haven't developed one for this yet.
7300575012_6053cf6126_c.jpg

Yes! Great looking chickpeas. That's a great idea. I usually toss them with oil and harissa, but the sriracha is a good idea too. Yum, I love pig ears.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Don't suppose you could give the recipe for either? Are the wings only dusted in the peppercorns? Can you get those at most grocery stores?

Also, what's aji? How is the sauce made?

Esch

Banned
Got an interesting idea for a marinade for chicken thighs- apple butter.

Think I might fold it in some BBQ sauce, but im worrying it might be a bit sweet. Any ideas of what else to add to balance out the flavor? I was thinkin a little citrus, garlic...

Zyzyxxz

Don't suppose you could give the recipe for either? Are the wings only dusted in the peppercorns? Can you get those at most grocery stores?

Also, what's aji? How is the sauce made?

Wings are dusted with salt and Wondra Flour to achieve a ultra cripsy crust and fried once, frozen, and then fried again.

The peppercorns may be hard to find but you can probably order them online. The spice mix is just Korean red chile powder, fried shallots, fried garlic, szechuan peppercorns, salt, and a little sugar.

So tomorrow is my first opportunity to get Thai food from a restaurant. Any opinions on what is best from this list? (NOTE: I love hot and spicy stuff)

Thai Pineapple Fried Rice
Thai Seafood Fried Rice
Pad Thai
Thai Red Curry & White Rice
Thai Green Curry & White Rice
Thai Stir Fry & White Rice
Thai Peanut Chicken

That looks so good. I love pictures of cheeseburgers.

So tomorrow is my first opportunity to get Thai food from a restaurant. Any opinions on what is best from this list? (NOTE: I love hot and spicy stuff)

Thai Seafood Fried Rice
Pad Thai
Thai Peanut Chicken

No Yellow Curry?

I always test American Thai food restaurants the first time by eating Pad Thai or Kang Masaman/Yellow Curry.

A Thai place close to my old work place had an awesome dish - Yellow Curry Fried Rice.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter

Thai Seafood Fried Rice
Pad Thai
Thai Peanut Chicken

Is that all? Stuff with Thai Basil is usually pretty spicy! Out of that, if you want spice, I guess one of the curries.

Zyzyxxz

How do you make this please.

Pretty easy.

1 Can of garbanzo/chickpeas drained and dried.

Sriracha salt: mix salt and sriracha until bright red and then put in a pan on the lowest heat you can and watch carefully to let it dry alternatively put it in an oven at the lowest temp possible on parchment or a silpat and let it go slow and check occasionally to make sure it doesn't burn. After it dries and hardens crush it finely or put it in a spice grinder to make it easier.

Fry the beans in oil until crispy and then toss with sriracha salt.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Pretty easy.

1 Can of garbanzo/chickpeas drained and dried.

Sriracha salt: mix salt and sriracha until bright red and then put in a pan on the lowest heat you can and watch carefully to let it dry alternatively put it in an oven at the lowest temp possible on parchment or a silpat and let it go slow and check occasionally to make sure it doesn't burn. After it dries and hardens crush it finely or put it in a spice grinder to make it easier.

Fry the beans in oil until crispy and then toss with sriracha salt.

Thanks! I'm going to make this soon.

Oreos Chocolate cake

DSC07760_2.jpg

DSC08180_2.jpg

Thank you guys for all the nice comments :)
where do i need to go so i can put this in my belly

Those look absolutely delicious. Please keep up the kitchen posts Zyzyxxz, it reminds me of the days when I worked on the line. Except it was a wing kitchen. And it sucked. XD

2 bags of coleslaw (14-16oz each)
1 bunch scallions chopped
ramen crunch (see below)
dressing (see below)

Dressing:
3/4 c vegetable oil
1/4 c cider vinegar
3/4 c sugar
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 packets of oriental seasoning from ramen noodle pack used for ramen crunch (below)

Mix all dressing ingredients together and refrigerate overnight.

Ramen Crunch:
2 packages of oriental flavor ramen noodles, broken
1 c sunflower seeds
3/4 c sliced almonds
3/4 stick of margarine

Melt margarine in pan and saute all crunch ingredients until well toasted. Cool to room temperature and add to coleslaw and scallions.

Add dressing to salad / ramen crunch and toss.

No Yellow Curry?

I always test American Thai food restaurants the first time by eating Pad Thai or Kang Masaman/Yellow Curry.

A Thai place close to my old work place had an awesome dish - Yellow Curry Fried Rice.

Is that all? Stuff with Thai Basil is usually pretty spicy! Out of that, if you want spice, I guess one of the curries.

Yeah not a lot of selection as its a Chinese place that just added a Thai section to their menu. The two curries also have Thai basil in them according to the menu so I guess I'll test one of those since I'm hungry for something spicy.

CrankyJay

Banned
JrV3yl.jpg

Chicken marinated in fresh basil from my new herb garden, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil. Grilled zuchinni. Simple but good.

Love my herb garden.

pax217

Reading through this, it appears to be a place to post what you've done... is it taboo to ask what to do? I could just Google recipes but it seems that the vast majority of you know what you're doing and would love some creative insight on the simple dishes I make on a regular basis.

Chicken marinated in fresh basil from my new herb garden, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil. Grilled zuchinni. Simple but good.

Love my herb garden.

Aside from a large produce garden, it's the most efficient garden one could have.

thespot84

Reading through this, it appears to be a place to post what you've done... is it taboo to ask what to do? I could just Google recipes but it seems that the vast majority of you know what you're doing and would love some creative insight on the simple dishes I make on a regular basis.

Aside from a large produce garden, it's the most efficient garden one could have.

This is definitely the place to ask questions!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef

hi pax, feel free to post any of your questions and own efforts here! :)

Zyzyxxz

I would trust the advice you get here over a random food blog. Most food bloggers don't know what they are talking about yet speak with authority.

Now for some more work pics:

I didn't like the picture of the burger I posted last time so a better view: by the way if you are local, just an FYI this burger is free if you check in on Yelp and buy an alcoholic drink.
7311008600_6c83e76a71_c.jpg

Also while at Nijiya (a Japanese grocery) I saw fresh porcini mushrooms! First time so I stupidly handed over $10 for these 3 mushrooms. Kept it simple and just seared them with oil, salt, and a sauce of reduced chicken stock.
7311008940_3ab0f53388_c.jpg

7311008842_ecc900035c_c.jpg

Really wish I had taken a picture earlier. The dinner I packed for work was terrific.

• Homemade orange chicken (chicken breast + light drizzle of Panda Express Orange Sauce)
  • 1/2 cup white rice
  • Broccoli mixed with turkey brautwurst and onions

The best part was not only how delicious it was, but the fact it really wasn't bad for you.

jet1911

Fuck oysters. Seriously. I just finished opening 200 oysters, I'm not really experienced so I guess it took longuer (almost 2h) but still... Fuck oysters. And I almost stabbed myself twice. :(

Made a chocolate cake with dark chocolate icing today and it turned out great. The icing tasted a lot like one of those Dove dark chocolate candies. Very smooth and creamy.

Isa0

Neo Member
I would trust the advice you get here over a random food blog. Most food bloggers don't know what they are talking about yet speak with authority.

I didn't like the picture of the burger I posted last time so a better view: by the way if you are local, just an FYI this burger is free if you check in on Yelp and buy an alcoholic drink.

Also while at Nijiya (a Japanese grocery) I saw fresh porcini mushrooms! First time so I stupidly handed over $10 for these 3 mushrooms. Kept it simple and just seared them with oil, salt, and a sauce of reduced chicken stock.

Holy crap you added so much more food to your menu since the last time I was there. I'll be sure to head there again to try the new items out.

a2lNz.jpg

Cheese: Raw Milk Bandaged Cheddar Rather oily with a peculiar sort of sweet taste that I can't quite find the words to describe---melts decently though.

Crumble: Just the plain Multi-grain version of those Sweet Chili Multi-grain Tortilla chips from a couple weeks back----still quality, though I prefer the former.

Made a different version today of a cheddar beer soup from the one I tried last time and it turned out much better. Very creamy, very flavorful.

BlackWaltz

lotta black folks here

Looks great. What's the benefit of the scoring on the mushrooms? Better absorption of your sauce?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom