• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I've been making chocolate "bars". Last week I made half 100% chocolate and half white chocolate, with grilled almonds mixed. Looked nice with all the marbling, and nice mixture of sweet and bitter.

Today I made it 80% 100% black chocolate, 20% white chocolate, chopped coconut, chopped dates, raisins, and grilled almonds. Pretty good, but should have put a bit more white chocolate (maybe 60/40 ratio).

Tonight is sardines (reposting an old picture, I make them nicer than this now, and more of them)

AnpQO.jpg

dyonPT

Much classier than the "Slutty Brownie" I do say.
T1EYDl.jpg

Looks absolutely delicious. I love your photography style too.

hehehe :D

Mother of god.

Love that comment :D

I must have that.

Yeah, you must make one for you, it's very easy :)

Good god at that cake dyon....

You might as well be the damn Emperor of Dessert.

:D Thanks man!

I've been doing a lot of cakes lately and while the end result is nice enough, it all feels so... fussy. Starting to think I just want to focus on being a breadmaker. Bread is amazing.

Simply amazing...love it!

Zyzyxxz

Looks great. What's the benefit of the scoring on the mushrooms? Better absorption of your sauce?

I guess, lol I just do it for the looks and I noticed some other chefs have done it.

Although if I had a charcoal grill I think they would have grilled up more nicely.

Zyzyxxz

Last post before we get shut down for E3?

Pork chop sandwich I made for the staff meal at work. With pimiento cheese spread, pickled onions, cheap hamburger buns, and a panko breaded pork loin.
7154485121_b7ed900c93_c.jpg

7339688236_a55b02e81f_c.jpg

7339688144_c89a014ebe_c.jpg

...and pork belly that will be done in 36 hours!
7339688062_4def6d070c_c.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Before the OT gets taken down for the annual E3 craze, let me thank everybody for the awesome contributions! :)
Maybe I'll set up an E3 food stall in the gaming section this year.
See you all on the other side (in a few days or so).
Keep posting!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Before the OT gets taken down for the annual E3 craze, let me thank everybody for the awesome contributions! :)
Keep posting!

Is the OT being taken down?

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Keep posting!
Just wanted to say that I'm glad this thread is still going strong an that you still manage it - you're one of my favorite posters

CrankyJay

Banned
So at the store on a whim I bought some canned chipotles in adobo sauce because they interest me. What are some good recipes I make make with this? Any sort of sauces for chicken or pork would be great.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I have used them in Chili, BBQ sauce, Cheese dip, Salsa.

You can blend them with Vinegar and Oil to make a nice chicken marinade. Tons of stuff.

Zyzyxxz

So the results of my 36 hour pork belly is in and O M F G. Tender as a freaking pillow.

7344450952_7525aec0d8_c.jpg

Look at that even cooking!
7344450890_382b7ba0cb_c.jpg

DAT caramelized skin!
7344450848_79b64ae121_c.jpg

Now that I have the basic recipe down I am going to experiment with flavored versions to recreate Chinese roast pork for a sandwich.

GiJoccin

I know I saw posts in the past about this... but any good recommendations for pans? I'm looking to pick up one or two pans for protein cooking - I saw some sort of black steel pan before?

thespot84

I know I saw posts in the past about this... but any good recommendations for pans? I'm looking to pick up one or two pans for protein cooking - I saw some sort of black steel pan before?

why not cast iron? they're super cheap, get better with use and will last a lifetime if not more.

Alucrid

Banned
So I've screwed up the past couple times while making rice due to my own inattentiveness. Not wanting to having go hungry or cook another thing of rice ever again I'm going to grab a Zojirushi rice cooker. What type of rice is best used to get the really sticky rice found in a lot of asian cuisine?

S. L.

So the results of my 36 hour pork belly is in and O M F G. Tender as a freaking pillow.

Now that I have the basic recipe down I am going to experiment with flavored versions to recreate Chinese roast pork for a sandwich.

that looks awesome, we did 24h ribs two weeks ago which were pretty damn sick, porkbelly def. is on my to do list now as well

Talon

So I've screwed up the past couple times while making rice due to my own inattentiveness. Not wanting to having go hungry or cook another thing of rice ever again I'm going to grab a Zojirushi rice cooker. What type of rice is best used to get the really sticky rice found in a lot of asian cuisine?
Go to your local asian grocer and buy their cheapest bag of rice. That's what my family's always done. It'll usually be around $17 for a 20 lb. bag.

Are you talking about Chinese restaurant rice? The ones in the cheap Chinese restaurants we have in LA seem to use jasmine rice. Some brands that are easy to find are:

Calrose Botan rice:
80fcdb1c33988ab3d25aa1581e3066e91ea99cda.jpg

Nishiki rice (I like this one better than Calrose):
0bb2d0326a6892675b02d13864985ab594893a9f.jpg

White rice itself is nutritiously empty, especially the super white, Chinese stuff. It's almost like eating a bowl full of sugar since that's what the simple carbs turn into. If you really want the white rice taste, but also something healthier, you can look into haiga-mai rice which is partially milled rice. It has some nutrients (but not as much as brown rice) but taste like white.

Example: http://chefshop.com/Tamaki-Haiga-Mai-Rice-P5793.aspx

I hate eating brown rice with Asian stuff, so we mostly cook Haiga-mai for all our white-rice needs.

Go to your local asian grocer and buy their cheapest bag of rice. That's what my family's always done. It'll usually be around $17 for a 20 lb. bag.
Don't do that. You could end up with crappy, old rice with pantry moths in it.

Alucrid

Banned

Are you talking about Chinese restaurant rice? The ones in the cheap Chinese restaurants we have in LA seem to use jasmine rice. Some brands that are easy to find are:

Calrose Botan rice:
http://www.hackettstownlife.com/images/forum/2010/10/80fcdb1c33988ab3d25aa1581e3066e91ea99cda.jpg[img]

Nishiki rice (I like this one better than Calrose):
[img]http://www.hackettstownlife.com/images/forum/2010/10/0bb2d0326a6892675b02d13864985ab594893a9f.jpg[img]

White rice itself is nutritiously empty, especially the super white, Chinese stuff. It's almost like eating a bowl full of sugar since that's what the simple carbs turn into. If you really want the white rice taste, but also something healthier, you can look into haiga-mai rice which is partially milled rice. It has some nutrients (but not as much as brown rice) but taste like white.

Example: [url]http://chefshop.com/Tamaki-Haiga-Mai-Rice-P5793.aspx[url]

I hate eating brown rice with Asian stuff, so we mostly cook Haiga-mai for all our white-rice needs.

Don't do that. You could end up with crappy, old rice with pantry moths in it.[/QUOTE]

Always knew that white rice was never nutritious and I was never a huge fan of brown, but never knew about the Haiga Mai Rice. Sounds good, I'll go ahead and give that a shot then, thanks.

ShinAmano

Tell me what to cook outside this weekend.

I have a new turkey fryer...and have not been on my big green egg for a month.

So let me know what to cook from ribs to wings or anything in between and I will fire it up this weekend and post pics of the results.

Made a 10-minute lunch out of leftovers today. Ah the joys of working from home!
2cf9cc32b00b11e188131231381b5c25_7.jpg

Simmered tofu, poached egg yolk, braised lotus root (from a previous night's dinner)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Botan Rice is my go to easy access cheapy sticky rice.

Zyzyxxz I REALLY need to drop by your place. I'll do it when I'm able to for sure. Hopefully this month!

TheExodu5

Banned

Cast iron or carbon steel. Cast iron is more economical. I just carbon steel because I like the look/shape more.

Finally got my pictures rounded up

First of all, you can't cook without the proper accompaniment at your side ...

iROYOWb0XLljD.JPG

Cheddar Beer Soup

iES8Nje012boY.JPG

ir3aQPyhymbZn.JPG

ibk4fLY7Yy7Wck.JPG

Chili

ifezA1Wnpt1Hd.JPG

Asian Coleslaw Salad

ibcyahrwH10fyZ.JPG

Enchiladas - they don't look pretty but they were amazing

ioq3FYOF2ovg7.JPG

A hungry bear in my driveway

ibfIVHZ7MpGlBE.JPG

Zyzyxxz

So some more results of my sous vide pork belly

7162430775_afc835244c_c.jpg

7162430663_caebd0a85c_c.jpg

7347639448_f3e86a3e34_c.jpg

Dont fry it skin side down, it stuck to the frying basket... =(

The sauce is a reduction of the braising liquid I use for my pork tacos, some of the pork juices from the bag, and butter.
7162430561_d52f235596_c.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That looks amazing Zyzyzxxz, and I think the crosshatch pattern actually looks good on the skin (although it tearing off is a shame).

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I just bought a new wok after my last one was sort of destroyed. I was wondering what the proper way of seasoning it is, it's hard anodized. I've been heating it up on high, then smearing some oil on it and turning it down to low for a while. Is that the proper method?

My first attempt at wontons. I went with pork, apple, ginger, and garlic.

They turned out MUCH better than I expected. Wonton wrappers fry very quickly, so I had to turn the fire down a bit since I scorched the first ones lol. I'm going to make more(with a bit of Napa cabbage) and take some shots with the big boy cam, though this camera on my Evo LTE is pretty nice...

fIxmS.jpg

1pZqY.jpg

Good eats, but I'm frazzled out something fierce from bad familial tidings such that I don't know that I'd be able to enjoy anything 100%. : /

Cheese: Rocinante Etxegarate That's....a weird damn name for the last of the Rocinante line I've come across. Versus the others, it enforces that----super-hard, browns to the point or crisping up super-quick, and is packing some serious oil content. Nice taste, decent mess....works for me.

Crumble: Smartfood Selects Italian Herb Popped Chips Pretty much the same as the rest from this line---can't go wrong with Oregano/Garlic/Basil as a general combo with it being duly seasoned likewise. Even though there was lots of oil, it wasn't especially flavorful compared to prior, so it blended well when absorbed.

dyonPT

Heh first time somebody has used that gif on me. Appreciate it, your deserts are amazing though. I need to start learning sweets since I'm a complete newb to them.

You deserve it, you cook like a Boss!!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I have a challenge for you guys. OnkelC gave me an interesting idea for cooking potatoes, but I want to get more.

Basically I like cutting them up and putting them up and frying them in a pan along with onions. What are some good ideas on how to do this and make them nice and hashy?
dice, then parboil, then pat dry then fry in peanut oil with peppers, onion, cumin and chopped cauliflower. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom