• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

"A" is where the cheek meat is, your collar may or may not come with it since if the cheek is prized by itself fishmongers may remove it to sell separately.

The collar is where "C" is and contains fatty meat and delicious goodness. Cheek may or may not be included depending on how it's cut.

I see. My parents usually buy the entire salmon and cut it themselves. I will look for it next time. Thanks!

Frost_Ace

EWjEy.jpg

Just wanted to share my tiramisù :p

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm cooking a pretty thick pork center cut loin roast this afternoon. I see lots of differing opinions online: high temperature dry roasting, and lower temperature braising.

I kind of wanted to try doing it with some apple cider as a brining liquid...anything wrong with that? Am I going to ruin the cut?

Esch

Banned
I kind of just winged it on the spot, but this is pretty much it.

http://bakedbree.com/honey-garlic-balsamic-chicken

- It's basically cook chicken. (make sure not to overcook it, it's gonna go in the pan again).
- Remove chicken from the pan
- Deglaze with chicken broth. Then add balsamic vinegar, honey, and garlic. Some recipes add lemon juice or orange zest or even brown sugar as well.
- Reduce that down till it gets thick.
- Add your chicken back in for a little bit with some sesame seeds.
- Eat :)

It's a really easy quick dinner recipe. Enjoy!
thanks, this is exactly the type of recipe i need

Zyzyxxz

I'm cooking a pretty thick pork center cut loin roast this afternoon. I see lots of differing opinions online: high temperature dry roasting, and lower temperature braising.

I kind of wanted to try doing it with some apple cider as a brining liquid...anything wrong with that? Am I going to ruin the cut?

Just don't use apple cider vinegar and you should be fine. Apple and pork is a classic flavor combination. Also I would sear it on the outside on a big pan if you have a big enough one and do very slow roasting like 300F for a long period of time. I don't know the exact cooking times but aim for 135F interior temperature and then take it out to rest it and allow it to reach 145F interior in a warm place.

TheExodu5

Banned
Just don't use apple cider vinegar and you should be fine. Apple and pork is a classic flavor combination. Also I would sear it on the outside on a big pan if you have a big enough one and do very slow roasting like 300F for a long period of time. I don't know the exact cooking times but aim for 135F interior temperature and then take it out to rest it and allow it to reach 145F interior in a warm place.

Awesome, thanks. Yeah, I'll be using Alexander Keith's Apple Cider...it's a fairly sweet apple cider so I think it should go awesomely.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Prep for tonights dinner.

jcRsvl.jpg

Now everthing is in a pot, simmering away. AFter 3 hours I'll take out the meat, strain the stock, put the meat back with som fat, some stock and kinda mash it together for 30 or so minutes. Then eat with pasta. Also making a tomato sauce, so maybe that'll go in it as well. Haven't decided.

Zyzyxxz

My brother took my camera to Japan so I got nothing but a 35mm film and my crappy cellphone.

Since the other poster asked about fish collar I decided to buy a hamachi collar and broil it Japanese style.

Making mapo tofu as well, will try to take pictures later.

Alucrid

Banned
I just got my zojirushi rice cooker in and I'm excited to start trying it out. Plan to go shopping tomorrow to make something to throw over it. Any suggestions for something? Perhaps a curry?

TheExodu5

Banned
Just bought myself a wireless meat thermometer. I think this thing is going to revolutionise my cooking...or at least let me make some damned good roasts. It's going to be awesome to be sitting at my PC, monitoring my roast's temperature.

Sitting here...my pork roast is at 109F after 63 minutes. Pretty awesome.

Zyzyxxz

Just bought myself a wireless meat thermometer. I think this thing is going to revolutionise my cooking...or at least let me make some damned good roasts. It's going to be awesome to be sitting at my PC, monitoring my roast's temperature.

Sitting here...my pork roast is at 109F after 63 minutes. Pretty awesome.

which one did you get? I wouldn't mind having one.

TheExodu5

Banned
which one did you get? I wouldn't mind having one.

BIOS Pre-Programmed Wireless Thermometer. Was the only one available at Stokes (local kitchen supply store). Seems to work well so far (I think). I haven't actually compared it to a proper kitchen thermometer (since I don't own a good one).

edit: pork roast turned out great. I should have listened to you zyz...I ended up taking it out at 150F, and it kept climbing to 165F after I took it out. Still very juicy, but it could have been even juicier given your advivce. Also, I used a bit too much onion...overpowers the apple a bit.

Smoked a salmon filet today with maple wood chips, pecan wood chips, and a brown sugar rub

ibcddpngPHsIaz.jpg

Throw in some wild rice and garlic green beans and you got yourself a tasty Tuesday

ibhnUyTVHvVbxp.jpg

Zyzyxxz

BIOS Pre-Programmed Wireless Thermometer. Was the only one available at Stokes (local kitchen supply store). Seems to work well so far (I think). I haven't actually compared it to a proper kitchen thermometer (since I don't own a good one).

edit: pork roast turned out great. I should have listened to you zyz...I ended up taking it out at 150F, and it kept climbing to 165F after I took it out. Still very juicy, but it could have been even juicier given your advivce. Also, I used a bit too much onion...overpowers the apple a bit.

US regulations recommend pork cooked to 145 these days, it use to be 165. Just remember when you cook such a large cut of meat or any meat in general residual heat left over from cooking the surface will slowly work its way into the center due to the natural tendency of equalizing temperature throughout the entire cut. If you were cooking at 300F then the outside will be around 300F but and that extra heat will work its way into the center.

Usually with large roast you can expect the temperature to rise an extra 10F degrees at minimum.

CrankyJay

Banned
Smoked a salmon filet today with maple wood chips, pecan wood chips, and a brown sugar rub

ibcddpngPHsIaz.jpg

Throw in some wild rice and garlic green beans and you got yourself a tasty Tuesday

ibhnUyTVHvVbxp.jpg

You are inspiring me...fish is the one thing I have yet to do on my smoker and it's because someone claims the fish oils alter the taste of your smoker. I'm beginning to think they are either full of shit or have really sensitive taste buds.

ShinAmano

You are inspiring me...fish is the one thing I have yet to do on my smoker and it's because someone claims the fish oils alter the taste of your smoker. I'm beginning to think they are either full of shit or have really sensitive taste buds.

Full of it.

I smoke salmon all the time on my egg...never had any issues. If all comes down to it crank up the temp for a cleaning cook after you smoke the fish.

With that said I may have to smoke some salmon this weekend since those pics look tasty.

Yeah, don't sweat it. Most competition cooks stay away from fish for their smokers, but that's because they're as anal-retentive/superstitious as it gets. It was my first time as well and it was simple as it gets. I rubbed mine with salt, brown sugar, onion powder, and garlic powder and let it set on the fish for 2 hours. Washed it off and then applied the same rub sans salt. A simple 90 minute cook. It turned out as beautiful as my dog imagined :)

CrankyJay

Banned
Yeah, don't sweat it. Most competition cooks stay away from fish for their smokers, but that's because they're as anal-retentive/superstitious as it gets. It was my first time as well and it was simple as it gets. I rubbed mine with salt, brown sugar, onion powder, and garlic powder and let it set on the fish for 2 hours. Washed it off and then applied the same rub sans salt. A simple 90 minute cook. It turned out as beautiful as my dog imagined :)

I see you used maple and pecan. Would hickory be too harsh for salmon?

I primarily use apple and hickory, but and always willing to try different woods.

Zyzyxxz

Sorry for shitty instagram pics but no camera for at least another week.

Sous vide lamb belly strips then deep fried over pea shoots and quinoa cooked with the lamb jus.
va9Yy.jpg

Zyzyxxz

I'm just picturing the taste...beautifully composed man.

Too bad I think it gave me indigestion. It was leftover lamb from over a week ago that I was doing for a test batch a few pages back. Looked okay when I cut it up, good thing I have a semi-iron stomach for this type of stuff.

TheExodu5

Banned
Bought a tiny sirloin tip roast (maybe 26oz or so) to give roasting a shot. Coated it in peanut oil, kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper. Put it in for 15 minutes at max temperature (500F), to attempt to sterilize the exterior, and dropped it to 250F. I'll leave it in until it reaches 120F or so, and then I'll broil the fat on the top if need be, and take it out at 125F. Curious to see how it turns out.

edit: wow, doesn't take long to cook, even at a low temp. Maybe I should cook it at 200F next time. Roast is just about done, 50 minutes in.

TheExodu5

Banned
Yeah, that didn't turn out too well. Really, really tough.

So, is it the cut (sirloin tip)? The quality of the beef? The cooking method?

thespot84

Yeah, that didn't turn out too well. Really, really tough.

So, is it the cut (sirloin tip)? The quality of the beef? The cooking method?

Was it in the oven the whole time?

It's good to remember that the temp changes aren't instant. Once the oven is at 500, there's no 'cooling' mechanism, so you're relying on minor amounts of heat escaping the oven to drop the temp, which will take a long time. the rest of the heat will remain, eventually denaturing the protiens in the beef cuasing it to become tough.

While the internal temp of the roast made it to 120 or so, the air temp in the oven over the whole time probably never went below 450 unless you opened the door and allowed it to vent. So in essence you were cooking the roast the whole time at 400+.

With steak, you'll often see recipes call for searing in a pan, and then putting the steak in an oven at 200 or so to finish it off. This eliminates the problem of the excess heat. If you want to stick with the oven method since pan searing might be hard with a roast, I would recommend opening the door to the oven between temperature changes and maybe even blowing a fan in there to really clear it out to get rid of all that heat.

TheExodu5

Banned
Was it in the oven the whole time?

It's good to remember that the temp changes aren't instant. Once the oven is at 500, there's no 'cooling' mechanism, so you're relying on minor amounts of heat escaping the oven to drop the temp, which will take a long time. the rest of the heat will remain, eventually denaturing the protiens in the beef cuasing it to become tough.

While the internal temp of the roast made it to 120 or so, the air temp in the oven over the whole time probably never went below 450 unless you opened the door and allowed it to vent. So in essence you were cooking the roast the whole time at 400+.

With steak, you'll often see recipes call for searing in a pan, and then putting the steak in an oven at 200 or so to finish it off. This eliminates the problem of the excess heat. If you want to stick with the oven method since pan searing might be hard with a roast, I would recommend opening the door to the oven between temperature changes and maybe even blowing a fan in there to really clear it out to get rid of all that heat.

I took it out of the oven for a minute or so with the door open and waited for the oven to drop to 250 before putting it back in.

That being said, I don't know if the oven temperature is accurate at all. One big problem is that this oven doesn't seal properly on the left side...the door has a big gap in it, which means the burner is on a lot of the time. Haven't actually tested the actual temp with an oven thermometer. Maybe that could skew things.

thespot84

I took it out of the oven for a minute or so with the door open and waited for the oven to drop to 250 before putting it back in.

That being said, I don't know if the oven temperature is accurate at all. One big problem is that this oven doesn't seal properly on the left side...the door has a big gap in it, which means the burner is on a lot of the time. Haven't actually tested the actual temp with an oven thermometer. Maybe that could skew things.

Fair enough. I've seen even fancy ovens blow their control boards and temps go everywhere, so that certainly is worth a look.

Zyzyxxz

You should probably calibrate it, every oven has a way assuming its not super old.

Also for a small roast you can brown it on a pan first and finish it in a low temp oven. Easier and faster. For something like roast beef you usually want to run it super low for a long period of time to maintain that pink center.

I see you used maple and pecan. Would hickory be too harsh for salmon?

I primarily use apple and hickory, but and always willing to try different woods.

My girlfriend ultimately chose those two since we have bags of apple, cherry, maple, and pecan chips. For fish, I would definitely stay away from hickory since it packs a strong flavor. I used two handfuls of each wood, wrapped in foil, and poked holes. It was a near perfect amount for the salmon, just a tad on the subtle side .

Long story short, stay away from hickory and mesquite for fish and you should be fine. For ribs, I mix hickory and some other subtle wood. For pork shoulder and brisket, I use 5-6 chunks of hickory and it's perfect. Honestly, after getting my smoker last year and having over a dozen cooks, I'm stunned this isn't more popular. Granted it takes more effort, but the end result is unbelievable.

Zyzyxxz

decided to have a somewhat healthy lunch before I head into work.

pan seared scallops and fresh chanterelle mushrooms over red quinoa.
7761476834_d521568c20_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom