• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
4Cf01.jpg

The next to last for awhile!

Crumble: Simply 7 Tomato Basil Not a mindblowing chickpea chip as some of the others of the line, but definitely a solid good one with the seasoning doing the job proper.

Cheese: Morbier France Fermier Raw Milk Kind of unusual looking in that it has a pretty well solitary vein running through the middle of the cheese that is far closer to black than blue---perhaps a riff on those wood ash cheeses I've seen on the occasional program? Quite a silky melter, nothing much doing on the oil front, any perhaps just the tiniest hint of smokiness.

ameratsu

Anything specific I should look for when buying a wok? Some of them have their own heat source and don't need to be used on a stove/burner. Are these types preferable?

I was at an asian grocery store on friday and they had some very cheap ($20) but flimsy feeling (handle felt loose) carbon steel woks. They ranged from big to very big, which is good, but I feel like it would be hard to keep it very hot using a regular stovetop coil element.

I am really impressed with my debuyer frying pan but don't want to spend a bunch of money on a debuyer wok. What is my best option <$50?

Zyzyxxz

Anything specific I should look for when buying a wok? Some of them have their own heat source and don't need to be used on a stove/burner. Are these types preferable?

I was at an asian grocery store on friday and they had some very cheap ($20) but flimsy feeling (handle felt loose) carbon steel woks. They ranged from big to very big, which is good, but I feel like it would be hard to keep it very hot using a regular stovetop coil element.

I am really impressed with my debuyer frying pan but don't want to spend a bunch of money on a debuyer wok. What is my best option <$50?

Just get any carbon steel wok but dont get one that's too big. At my house we use a giant gas burner attached to a propane tank to fulfill our wok heating needs. A regular stove ain't good for a large wok, if anything I think a flat bottom wok (which you wouldn never catch me buying) is better if a Western flat stove is your only option. It really depends on the heat output and size of your burner on your stove.

joe2187

Banned
Nice burger man, I'm not a big fan of blue cheese but i can never resist it in burger form.

I dont have pictures because I cant be bothered to take photos when I'm so hungry and I just wanted to state just how much I love ratatouille, It has become one of my favorite side dishes. Even though normally I dont like eggplant or squash.

Anyone have any twists on ratatouille they like? I hate it when people use a can of tomato sauce in their recipes, I prefer chopping up tomatoes in little bits and adding all the juice to marinate the eggplant and squash.

I made some ratatouille yesterday and with some stuffed chicken breasts, and this morning I used the leftover veggies to make a quick and amazing ratatouille omelet, so damn good.

Talon

decided to have a somewhat healthy lunch before I head into work.

pan seared scallops and fresh chanterelle mushrooms over red quinoa.
7761476834_d521568c20_o.jpg
This looks awesome.

I eat quinoa often, but it took me until last week to realize that cooking in a rice cooker would work just as well. I'll probably cook it more often now.

I got this wok set from Crate and Barrel's website for <$50, and I've loved it. Took the long wooden handle off, but I really like the set. The wok itself is good, and seasoning is a bitch if you don't have ideal circumstances (like I do/did), but it's worth it.

I've been making some really decent little lunches lately, but I haven't gotten around to photographing them. I'll have to fix that soon.

On that subject, do you guys have any recipes or tips for napa cabbage?

Zyzyxxz

I got this wok set from Crate and Barrel's website for <$50, and I've loved it. Took the long wooden handle off, but I really like the set. The wok itself is good, and seasoning is a bitch if you don't have ideal circumstances (like I do/did), but it's worth it.

I've been making some really decent little lunches lately, but I haven't gotten around to photographing them. I'll have to fix that soon.

thinly sliced stir fried with rice cake ovalettes and some meat.

I've been using the 14" version of this for years and it's great:
http://www.wokshop.com/HTML/products/woks/wok-carbon-steel-wood-handle.html

Season with oil & leeks/green onion first and it'll treat you nice.

edited for napa cabbage tips:

- stir fry with thinly sliced chili peppers or jalapeno, then top with a few drops sesame oil and black vinegar after taking off of the heat.

- stir fry with thinly sliced cured meat like bacon or chinese bacon, or chinese sausage. Pretty much any smokey, salty, meat goes great with napa cabbage.

You can just cook a huge batch and reheat it over the week.

Weird, I made quinoa last week too. It seems to keep well, especially if you make it as quinoa salad and eat it cold. Don't need to reheat then. I've never gotten the hang of cooking quinoa over the stove-top, but works fine in the rice-cooker!

TheExodu5

Banned
Okay...so I bought a top sirloin roast (was on sale), spanish onion, carrots, cabbage.

Can I braise all this together with some beer (I'd cut the cabbage into large chunks). I know the onions and carrats would work for sure, but not 100% sure about the cabbage.

fmpanda

Okay...so I bought a top sirloin roast (was on sale), spanish onion, carrots, cabbage.

Can I braise all this together with some beer (I'd cut the cabbage into large chunks). I know the onions and carrats would work for sure, but not 100% sure about the cabbage.

Yup, beer and roasting is always a plan, I usually like to go for Guinness myself.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
What are some tasty things to put inside a deep dish pizza/pizza pie? I've never made one before, but I assume that you assemble it just like you would a regular pie? Crust, filling, topping? I don't know what to put in the filling...

What are some tasty things to put inside a deep dish pizza/pizza pie? I've never made one before, but I assume that you assemble it just like you would a regular pie? Crust, filling, topping? I don't know what to put in the filling...

Italian Sausage is a 100% must. Mushrooms and pep as well.

Alright folks, Egg yolks are bad for you this month. Stop eating them. (or at least until someone says they are good for you, again)

http://www.cbs8.com/story/19286005/egg-yolks-almost-as-bad-for-arteries-as-smoking-study

Whether boiled, scrambled or sunny-side up, cholesterol-rich egg yolks can stiffen your arteries almost as much as smoking, a new study suggests.

F that! I love egg yolks. That's liquid gold, I say. I don't eat meat every day, so I'll use that to justify eating all the egg yolks I want. Although, I don't really eat eggs all that often unless I'm going out for breakfast or brunch. Or ramen.

I stayed with some friends in Oregon this weekend and cooked them some dinner. I think they liked it.

Mussels in white wine and butter sauce with tomatoes from their garden
Smashed new potatoes fried in olive oil with rosemary
Warm castellano olives and marcona almonds marinated in harissa
Crostini with goat cheese and paprika spread topped with sun-dried tomatoes and capers
Green beans sauteed with garlic and topped with almonds
Roasted cauliflower

Zyzyxxz

Alright folks, Egg yolks are bad for you this month. Stop eating them. (or at least until someone says they are good for you, again)

http://www.cbs8.com/story/19286005/egg-yolks-almost-as-bad-for-arteries-as-smoking-study

Whether boiled, scrambled or sunny-side up, cholesterol-rich egg yolks can stiffen your arteries almost as much as smoking, a new study suggests.

Counter-attack!

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/08august/Pages/Eating-egg-yolks-as-bad-as-smoking.aspx

So don't worry folks, keep slurping that liquid gold!

TheExodu5

Banned
Alright, well it's in.

3.5lbs top sirloin roast. Seared in the frying pan, and braised with a dark beer (Noire de Chambly), onions, carrots, and cabbage. Oven is set to 200F this time. We'll see how it turns out.

It's gone from 59F to 85F in about an hour. That seems too fast, doesn't it? I'm pretty sure this oven isn't calibrated properly at all. 200F is probably more like 250F.

TheExodu5

Banned
What should the internal temp be when braising? Dry roasting would be 125F for rare...but for braising should I make it cook a lot longer?

edit: reading up on it...this is not a cut I should have been braising. Oh well, hopefully it's edible.

RPEKm.jpg

Well, this is the end of the line until a month and some from now---can't say I ended it on anything dramatic, but that's fine.

Crumble: Zapp's Spicy Cajun Crawtators My first Zapp chip, as even though they are loved by many that doesn't mean I can come across them at a whim. Nice, overt heat that was kinda essential with the cheese...

Cheese: Westfield Farm Capri Wasabi So yeah, a Wasabi Goat Cheese---that's a first for sure. The Wasabi heat aspect was far more subtle than I'd expected, with the Chive perhaps even inching out ahead of it. Not oily and not a melter---sort of a solid blob that can be portioned off by hand easily enough but is centered on being spread about. It was OK I guess, but somewhat of a let down as the Wasabi wasn't as prominent as I'd hoped given I slim to never come across anything wasabi-related in these parts.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Meant to post this earlier, but just got back in town and it's the first time I've had reliable internet in 2 weeks.

Stopped by the bar Zyzyxxz chefs at in Los Angeles last week. Ordered some curry fries and fried lotus root chips on his recommendation, and these corn dogs made with sausage because I had been craving corn dogs for a while. All of it was really good, but the curry fries were phenomenal, and for being such a simple dish the lotus root chips were extremely flavorful (seasoned with some type of seaweed). Would recommend anyone who lives in the area to stop by if they get a chance.

Edit: I should mention that they have a pretty interesting selection of craft beers as well, if you are into that. Was disappointed I had just missed out on them carrying Hitachino Nest White Ale, as I have been meaning to taste it on draft for a while.

Zyzyxxz

Meant to post this earlier, but just got back in town and it's the first time I've had reliable internet in 2 weeks.

Stopped by the bar Zyzyxxz chefs at in Los Angeles last week. Ordered some curry fries and fried lotus root chips on his recommendation, and these corn dogs made with sausage because I had been craving corn dogs for a while. All of it was really good, but the curry fries were phenomenal, and for being such a simple dish the lotus root chips were extremely flavorful (seasoned with some type of seaweed). Would recommend anyone who lives in the area to stop by if they get a chance.

Edit: I should mention that they have a pretty interesting selection of craft beers as well, if you are into that. Was disappointed I had just missed out on them carrying Hitachino Nest White Ale, as I have been meaning to taste it on draft for a while.

Thanks for swinging by, yeah we rotate our taps though so we weren't quite ready to put the Hitachino back in but it's one of my favorite light beers, I definitely took the first draft of it once it got hooked up.

D-Pad

You should get a little mini-kitchen garden, grows pretty well in the heat of your kitchen.

Tried... tried those seedling starter kits too. Goes perfectly until it's time to transfer the buggers and then it goes well for a little longer. Then a week or two later I'll wake up and they'll be dead. It's depressing since I used to grow them all the time back at our old house.

My mom wants me to help her build a raised garden in the backyard (there is very little back yard and two dogs, so we have to raise it up). Maybe I'll have better luck there, but it's just something about this location. Everything on one side of the house grows huge (even the fucking insects wtf) and everything on the other doesn't want to grow at all. No difference in sunlight or anything, I'm talking differences in the beds on either side of the front door.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Do we have some high protein recipes in this monster of a thread? I'm back to the gym in beast mode and my new diet is... kind of trying. I mean, I can live with boring food, but I'd rather avoid eating the same mix of boiled rice + grilled chicken all day every day.

Basically I'm trying to find new ways to combine the following ingredients:

Meal:
160 grams of boiled rice, white pasta or couscous
or
300 grams of boiled/roasted potato/sweet potato
with
150 grams of turkey, chicken, tuna (either oil preserve or escabeche) or beef
or
200 grams of squid/octopus
Dinner:
veggies (any kind, any amount as long as they are not oily nor sweetened)
with
150 grams of turkey, chicken or tuna (escabeche or fresh)
or
200 grams of squid/octopus, whitefish, salmon or swordfish
I've tried to improvise some dishes but I've discovered that I'm more of a simple cook than a chef de cuisine. Not so long ago I thought it'd be a good idea to marinade some chicken cutlets with mistela and hot sauce, only to discover that: I had ruined half a kilo of good chicken. b) I have not been blessed with a culinary mind. Basically, I suck at anything that's not taking directions.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom