• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for swinging by, yeah we rotate our taps though so we weren't quite ready to put the Hitachino back in but it's one of my favorite light beers, I definitely took the first draft of it once it got hooked up.

Oh man I hope you have some next Saturday night! My cousin's having a bday thing that night and I would love some hitachino on tap =D Then I can stop complainin' about the cocktails.

MrBig

RPEKm.jpg

Well, this is the end of the line until a month and some from now---can't say I ended it on anything dramatic, but that's fine.

Is the world ending? :(

MAN I wish I could grow my own herbs. The climate here has not been kind to my previous attempts.

This will be what I miss the most when I move to LA next year. I'm getting ready to harvest my latest crops, dry them out, and jar them. Should be enough to last me quite a while though. Parsley, basil, thyme, lots of oregano, rosemary, and I still have a mint I couldn't kill that I might as well take some leaves from. Unfortunately on my first attempt at growing onions and peppers most of those died.

Zyzyxxz

This will be what I miss the most when I move to LA next year. I'm getting ready to harvest my latest crops, dry them out, and jar them. Should be enough to last me quite a while though. Parsley, basil, thyme, lots of oregano, rosemary, and I still have a mint I couldn't kill that I might as well take some leaves from. Unfortunately on my first attempt at growing onions and peppers most of those died.

The current heat wave over here is killing my basil daily. If I don't water it constantly the leaves will wilt instantly almost. Almost have to baby it. Other than that the normal weather is perfect for growing, just that unless you have a nice plot of land space is an issue.

MrBig

The current heat wave over here is killing my basil daily. If I don't water it constantly the leaves will wilt instantly almost. Almost have to baby it. Other than that the normal weather is perfect for growing, just that unless you have a nice plot of land space is an issue.

Yeah if I do anything it'd have to be in small pots. Here in florida I live on a big lake that I planet these all near and barely have to water anything. The peppers that died were in direct sunlight, the jalapeno and gypsy peppers that lived were in the shade of one of my big basils. The onions got eaten up by armadillos or racoons before I put a small fence up around them.

Zyzyxxz

Yeah if I do anything it'd have to be in small pots. Here in florida I live on a big lake that I planet these all near and barely have to water anything. The peppers that died were in direct sunlight, the jalapeno and gypsy peppers that lived were in the shade of one of my big basils. The onions got eaten up by armadillos or racoons before I put a small fence up around them.

Wait what.. armadillos?

Hitachino on tap? Why the fuck wasn't I invited?

I've been pimping out my bar for some time, just didn't want to overspam this thread or look like I'm trying to hard to promote it.

more info here:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/spirit-house-bar-monterey-park?sort_by=date_desc

hitsugi

Yeah.. So Cal has been experiencing some kind of record breaking August. I think we've had maybe 3-4 days that haven't hit 100+ so far.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Finally food, at 22:44 :/

Slow cooked pork shoulder in an Ale and crushed tomato sauce. Also in there, one huge yellow onion, one habanero with most of the seeds removed, a couple of cloves of garlic, star anise, apple cider vinegar and brown sugar. Browned, caramelized onions, fluids, simmered for 4 hours.

Results:

Ilbpwl.jpg

Plated (ugly as usual):

3390Jl.jpg

Bonus pic, fingernail victim of sloppy, hung over, garlic slicing on saturday:

7fG49l.jpg

Bonus pic 2, crappy kitchen:

leiZzl.jpg

Last Wednesday, me and a friend made bangers and mash with home made ketchup and caramelized onions.

Mash according to Heston:

fY3Mpl.jpg

Not prettily plated:

NQKsHl.jpg

Collage. Me top right for Onkel (not the girl, hehe):

T1YStl.jpg

Flo_Evans

OK IronGAF this is serious...

I am hosting an ad agency BBQ cookoff. I got motherfucking Gerard Craft (3 time James Beard award nomineee, never won :p) coming as a guest judge.

I need to win! The competition is this thursday, this week is all testing. Give me your BBQ ideas!

IDK what the fuck I am gonna make. There are no rules, I can go nuts on ingredients, but he is the pork master.

FUCK! gonna go talk to my butcher and see if I can get some prime cuts.

Zyzyxxz

OK IronGAF this is serious...

I am hosting an ad agency BBQ cookoff. I got motherfucking Gerard Craft (3 time James Beard award nomineee, never won :p) coming as a guest judge.

I need to win! The competition is this thursday, this week is all testing. Give me your BBQ ideas!

IDK what the fuck I am gonna make. There are no rules, I can go nuts on ingredients, but he is the pork master.

FUCK! gonna go talk to my butcher and see if I can get some prime cuts.

Try to find a copy of this book: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1592334997/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's not your typical BBQ these guys used every trick they could get from fine dining or Asian cooking to make award winning BBQ.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So what does the normal tourist do when visiting Stockholm?

022fa0ebe2970c57d503863c372836c8.jpg

...right, cooking at someone elses kitchen ;)

Had a conversation with fellow poster Keen and we'll have a little cooking session tonight at his place. pics to follow.

Here's the foods of our first day in Stockholm:

Zyzyxxz

Had a conversation with fellow poster Keen and we'll have a little cooking session tonight at his place. pics to follow.

Wow that's cool! If you ever make it to Los Angeles let me know!

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter

With an emphasis on little, considering the size of my kitchen and apartment :p

But it will be awesome!

Re-post from the Evilore travel thread:
If you wish to satiate your inner vegetarian beast, I recommend you check out their vegetarian burger ("Greenburger").

I would like for you to figure out how to make a homemade version of it, I've never managed to do it myself :p

I see you tried out the kexchoklad, it's always a hit when I bring it back home from Sweden. "Marabou" chocolates are pretty good too for a standard chocolate bar (higher cocoa content than in the UK), and while they're not in season at the moment you have to try out a "Semla" if you haven't already.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
the patty in those vegetarian MAX burgers, according to their website

http://www.max.se/kycklingfiskvegetariskt-max_greenburgare_laktoovo.aspx

seems to be milk proteine-based meat substitute and held together with egg white or something. there's a brand of similar products in Germany called "Valess" but I only found it here. creating company and brand owner is Campina Friesland, maybe that'll help?

since it's a highly complex process to create said substitute, I doubt you'll be able to recreate it at home, sorry.

edit: some press blurb in english about said substitute

http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/news-re...delicious-food-meat-from-dairy-154201895.html

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sounds like you're having a lot of fun Onkel :3! Lovely pictures!

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
thanks to you! we really enjoyed the evening. :)

As did I!

ouch ouch ouch. That had to be one sharp knife.

Take care of that nail bro. You reaaaaally don't want to get it infected.

Actually, it was fairly dull even if it was a pretty new knife. If I had used my, much sharper, japanese knife, I doubt I would've had a fingertip left. I used a stupid amount of force. :(

thespot84

Actually, it was fairly dull even if it was a pretty new knife. If I had used my, much sharper, japanese knife, I doubt I would've had a fingertip left. I used a stupid amount of force. :(

You likely wouldn't have used as much force had the knife been sharp. Hence why dull knives are more dangerous than sharp ones. A good lesson for newer cooks too.

mf.luder

Made my own 'dynamite shrimp' and 'jalapeño poppers' last night. Turned out amazing.

Need some tips though, what is the best way to ensure total coverage when using an egg wash? When I remove the item from the egg wash, the spots where my fingers touch the item kind of dry it out.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Made my own 'dynamite shrimp' and 'jalapeño poppers' last night. Turned out amazing.

Need some tips though, what is the best way to ensure total coverage when using an egg wash? When I remove the item from the egg wash, the spots where my fingers touch the item kind of dry it out.
use a fork or a toothpick or a kebab spit, depending on the item size.

Just got a nice 12qt T-Fal stock pot. Not as good as one of those Lodge pots recommended earlier in the thread but it should do the trick. At least its better than the rust bucket I currently use to make my world famous chili. :b

Zyzyxxz

Yay I sliced a bit off the tip of my index! So just a reminder folks don't get careless like me and always use the claw method when slicing stuff!

I might be out of my league...

this dude just pulled up from Alabama to our friendly neighborhood BBQ competition!

Don't lose faith, just trust your instincts!

KuGsj.gif

Yay I sliced a bit off the tip of my index! So just a reminder folks don't get careless like me and always use the claw method when slicing stuff!

Don't lose faith, just trust your instincts!

KuGsj.gif

Ack! Sounds painful. At least you didn't get bone, right? You could always get french tips and then your acrylic nails will ward off any sharp blades.

Collete

So I decided to push out of my comfort zone and make something with eggs as the main ingredient (never cooked eggs in my life till recently).

Was watching someone on Youtube make something called "omurice" which is basically an omelet wrapped around a tomato base rice with ketchup zigzagging over the omelet. It sounded good to me so decided to take a shot at it.

And result...

IMG_1537.jpg

Less than fabulous. Although it looks terrifying, it was still edible and tasted OK.
I know I used the wrong pan to make this and for life of me I don't think I can make an omelet *sigh*.
Though I think in the future I need to pay attention to what my body is saying...
(I haven't had cooked eggs as a main ingredient in years and felt nauseous of the taste and smell).

Silkworm

Hah. I'm too clumsy myself. I cut off part of my left thumb nail and a bit of the skin this morning while chopping some bell peppers. Still, that's nothing compared to a couple of weeks ago when I was using a mandolin without using the food guard it comes with and made a bad enough dent in the top of my left ring finger that I had to go to urgent care to get it taken care of. No stitches but they had to put some sort of compression-like bandage on it once I had the bleeding stop after holding my hand above my head for what seemed like an hour. The dang thing just wouldn't stop bleeding no matter what I tried on my own :-( However I guess lesson learned as I'm very careful now about using the mandolin (that is until I injure myself again).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom