• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flo_Evans

Yay I sliced a bit off the tip of my index! So just a reminder folks don't get careless like me and always use the claw method when slicing stuff!

Don't lose faith, just trust your instincts!

KuGsj.gif

welp, I lost.

Our team won for pulled pork but my ribs didn't even place. :(

oh well, had a great time grillin out with some peeps; better than working. :)

Flo_Evans

Some smoke action:

seZ9F.jpg

This guy won the style competition:

I282H.jpg

Some German potato salad for Onkel (not sure if they actually eat it like this in germany...):

2NIt7.jpg

The winning pork butt:

gDR0c.jpg

this guy was rocking a big green egg, I want one:

2jHUc.jpg

^--- Wow those are some serious setups. Especially the first guy. I've never smoked anything but I've always liked eating smoked meats. Seems like a lot of work and a lot of waiting.

Flo_Evans

^--- Wow those are some serious setups. Especially the first guy. I've never smoked anything but I've always liked eating smoked meats. Seems like a lot of work and a lot of waiting.

lots of sitting around drinking beer. The less you mess around with it the better. I also was making bratwurst, burgers and porksteaks so I had allot to do, we had about 150 people show up.

BGE's are nice...any WSM's there? First picture is fucking amazing.

No, one group had 2 propane cabellas smokers though, didn't get a good pic of them.

Flo_Evans

Hah, that's really surprising. They're probably the most portable smokers out there. I love my 18.5" WSM.

I like webers, but these dudes claimed they always "wore them out"

5FRUo.jpg

Here is a better pic of this guys grill, it was about 1/4" thick inch steel, all custom made. Thing probably literally weighed a ton.

Zyzyxxz

Wow so jealous of all that BBQ!

New dish I added to the menu at work:

Corn kakiage (it's a Japanese fritter), blistered shishito, sweet plum butter
7852909168_12886f986e_z.jpg

Had a turkey sandwich that had bacon jam in it and I'm curious to make it for myself. I've found a few recipes online but wanted to know if any one here has their own variations? I'll probably be opting to keep the texture more on the meaty side than smooth and will be using a crock-pot.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Had a turkey sandwich that had bacon jam in it and I'm curious to make it for myself. I've found a few recipes online but wanted to know if any one here has their own variations? I'll probably be opting to keep the texture more on the meaty side than smooth and will be using a crock-pot.

I've done it and it turned out great! I'll post the recipe I used tomorrow or Sunday if you want it.

I've done it and it turned out great! I'll post the recipe I used tomorrow or Sunday if you want it.

Yes please, if not too much trouble. I only glanced at a few but seems that most recipes are the exact same thing so I'm wanting to see if there are other ingredients to kinda spice it up without ruining the other flavors.

May attempt this weekend or during the week if I have time.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
A few impressions from the Stockholm visit this week:
13e90b8595dc1258a00f8cf7ca385766.jpg

null-7.jpg

null-5.jpg

null-3.jpg

null-4.jpg

793c494fa51ab509b7a98df641d89e34.jpg

96a8e12cdb458ab9b833d53a4c418e04.jpg

29670009818401f12bf5fe447bb7e9fe.jpg

165e00fb670915d02e661fd04bba9aa8.jpg

6314ddd2f0a6aa4db8bbbc70623c6a9e.jpg

4e242024df1faa823b57633a1028c606.jpg

62bf689055b1ce04ca413a011df99cb1.jpg

MAX Burgers:
bab92fed293955483421fdb47e773ce6.jpg

d22e395851d24c6e639ea7bd77513602.jpg

0fc5c19a3baf98429f314e6dd45d5de0.jpg

4ad66d84433af436c2c6e6b8904d0ad3.jpg

Culinary highlight of the week: the "Tennstopet"
a9bc4c2048bf606b2b7bddcac32a3aa6.jpg

c497685e0f9d7c31abfca4e726fd9684.jpg

Rabiff:
74066aa04e54916709774718ae62a96b.jpg

Gravlax on toast:
3cedb7e5807edd43742af860cfce2e43.jpg

Köttbullar with mashed potatoes and cucumber salad:
fc311ae675851fc51c97db1b8b119fb6.jpg

Toast Skagen:
0a4cf199e026e1d648295eb0f8a6d31a.jpg

Chokladkaka and a coffee for dessert:
7549b9d6d19e6f237538486bd436b81d.jpg

16eef923cb18b0ec9479052a3c278667.jpg

4f3274dd4f0ea9f4cd811b088512ac8c.jpg

Bonus shot: cooking with keen, thanks for the opportunity :)
63e2295126f8021f5bc0affa618e926e.jpg

btw keen, this is the way it was supposed to look ;)
null-1.jpg

5dc6e7e4070f3c9b88aaca83ef98ed2e.jpg

(made it for Jeannies birthday yesterday)

aaaand cheesecake:
d96ed62fba40ae041adc39b9ada5baca.jpg

Enjoy!

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Got the recipe from here, in Swedish, but I'll translate.

250 g bacon
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 yellow onion
2 tbsp raw sugar (I used muscovado)
Couple of dashes of tabasco
1 dl strong coffee
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp maple syrup
Black pepper
A splash of smoky whisky (optional, I used Laphroiag)
ca 2 dl water

Fry the bacon until crisp and chop roughly. Put into a pot with the rest of the ingredients, except the water. Simmer, stirring often, for approx. 1.5 hours. Add water if it looks dry.
Let cool slightly and then mix it roughly with an immersion blender or the like.

It'll keep for a while in the fridge (if you don't eat it straight away :D)

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Nice pics Onkel!! Wow, they really cooked that steak to death at Rydbergs! Glad you enjoyed Tennstopet tho!

Haha, that looked...unsplit! But it did taste great! :)

Some very nice pics indeed, sounds like Keen gave you a good impression of Sweden.
You got a good recipe for cheesecake, OnkelC?

I've unfortunately never baked a cheesecake, but I definitely want to give it a go.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Some very nice pics indeed, sounds like Keen gave you a good impression of Sweden.
You got a good recipe for cheesecake, OnkelC?

I've unfortunately never baked a cheesecake, but I definitely want to give it a go.

sure! cheesecakes are the most rewarding cakes to make youreself IMHO.

here's a baked one:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p= 4699710&postcount=182

one without baking:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5378587&postcount=213
smallCIMG4672.jpg

BTW, I'd love to see cheesecake recipes from all you other posters as well! Please share yours.

Thanks, I'll give that a go sometimes next week!
Non-baked cheesecakes have kinda stopped me from doing the baked variety, because of how easy they are :p

I'll see if I can find a picture of my no-bake bailey's cheesecake with chocolate shavings. It's a basic no-bake cheesecake, with a digestive biscuit and cardamon base, and cream cheese+icing sugar+whipped cream+vanilla essence+bailey's (of course) filling. Topped off with a generous amount of chocolate shavings (preferable from a darker chocolate, but any chocolate works)

Rats! I forgot to have pictures taken of the pulled pork I smoked yesterday. The only downside to the cook was that I ran out of the larger chunks of hickory and used multiple smaller chunks, but there just wasn't enough smoke flavor for my liking.

On the plus side, the cook only took 10 hours for a 14 lb( about 2 lbs of fat removed) pork butt which I was able to do by just separating the two halves and holding each together with kitchen twine. Also, applying a mustard slather prior to applying the rub made a pretty damn incredible bark. No mustard flavor, just a more pronounced bark in flavor and appearance. I might just take pictures of the leftovers tonight.

I should be making brisket and some ribs for my family this weekend, so I'm reallllly looking forward to that.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Rats! I forgot to have pictures taken of the pulled pork I smoked yesterday. The only downside to the cook was that I ran out of the larger chunks of hickory and used multiple smaller chunks, but there just wasn't enough smoke flavor for my liking.

On the plus side, the cook only took 10 hours for a 14 lb( about 2 lbs of fat removed) pork butt which I was able to do by just separating the two halves and holding each together with kitchen twine. Also, applying a mustard slather prior to applying the rub made a pretty damn incredible bark. No mustard flavor, just a more pronounced bark in flavor and appearance. I might just take pictures of the leftovers tonight.

I should be making brisket and some ribs for my family this weekend, so I'm reallllly looking forward to that.

Why do you teeeeaaaaase us so?? Want pics and want smoked pullde pork!

Hopefully I'll move to a new and bigger apartment in the fall, and if I buy something with a balcony I'll also buy a Bradley Smoker!

Zoe

Hopefully I'll move to a new and bigger apartment in the fall, and if I buy something with a balcony I'll also buy a Bradley Smoker!

Be careful doing that--that's usually against the fire code.

Everyone in my complex grills in their parking spots or outside their garages.

Edit: they probably don't care as much in Europe though

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Be careful doing that--that's usually against the fire code.

Everyone in my complex grills in their parking spots or outside their garages.

Edit: they probably don't care as much in Europe though

They prohibit the use of coal grills on apartment balconies here, but I'm not sure about the Bradley since it runs on electricity (might be a problem with the wood chips).

Interested in this as well, my current living situation does not make well for the normal grill.

Definitely, I live in a country where it rains most of the time so BBQ is literally out of the window. This on the other hand:

281906122_640.jpg

Looks like the perfect solution. So far the only complaint the reviewers have is that it smokes like a bitch but hey, it's a BBQ - That's what its supposed to do.

So I was looking for a recipe to cook chicken thighs in a crock pot, and I came across one where you whip up a mix of ketchup, soy sauce, and honey, and cook the chicken in it.

Turned out really good, but I couldn't help but notice that it tasted exactly like barbeque sauce.

So I thought to myself, why wouldn't you just use barbecue sauce?

Weird.

Thanks Keen for the recipe for bacon jam. Since Labor Day weekend is this weekend, I'll be attempting to make it this then.

May try some other things as well so I'll try to take pics.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
No, it takes the gas from the cooker and circulates it inside using magic to create something like a BBQ indoors.

I wouldn't trust that stovetop BBQ thing. the concept looks awkward as per the website.

Sounds kinda weird! I wouldn't either, just Get a griddle pan.

Thanks Keen for the recipe for bacon jam. Since Labor Day weekend is this weekend, I'll be attempting to make it this then.

May try some other things as well so I'll try to take pics.

Np!

So I was looking for a recipe to cook chicken thighs in a crock pot, and I came across one where you whip up a mix of ketchup, soy sauce, and honey, and cook the chicken in it.

Turned out really good, but I couldn't help but notice that it tasted exactly like barbeque sauce.

So I thought to myself, why wouldn't you just use barbecue sauce?

Weird.

I guess this way you can vary how you want the sauce to taste? If you like it more sour, you can add more ketchup. More sweet, add more honey? But yeah, that is weird. Maybe they were going for a "made from scratch" bbq sauce for that recipe.

Had lunch made from leftovers last night. My husband made an onion puff pastry thing that was pretty tasty, but DAYUM does it take long to caramelize onions. Next time, we'll just buy a bunch of onions and dump it in the slow cooker for 4 hours. That works, right?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
nakedsushi, caramelizing onions shouldn't take more than 30 minutes for 2lb of onions.Just use a hot skillet, a good amount of oil or butter, high heat and add a bit of sugar to the onions when putting them into the skillet. keep stirring a lot because they tend to burn quite fast.

Zyzyxxz

^--- What? Is that real? Wouldn't the water just steam them? I don't see how this would work! Has anyone tried this and done a taste test?

Will try very soon. I think the theory is that you can't carmelize onions fast because high heat = burning. Burning results from water evaporating too fast and the food drying out. If you keep it moist you can cook it down faster at a high heat without burning but I theorize that the flavor won't be as good but close enough to warrant the shortcut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom