• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, something I've wondered about indoor grilling, be it on actual appliances or with a cast iron pan.

How do you deal with grease spattering all over the place? Or is it just unavoidable and something you'll have to deal with.

Zyzyxxz

Also, something I've wondered about indoor grilling, be it on actual appliances or with a cast iron pan.

How do you deal with grease spattering all over the place? Or is it just unavoidable and something you'll have to deal with.

wrap everything in aluminium lol. Otherwise that is why I am planning to design my own kitchen once I move out on my own. Can't stand kitchens in a corner and all that grease getting stuck in there.

thespot84

I would be skeptical about adding water with the onions. Firstly, caramelization happens at the lowest at 110C/230F, which is greater than boiling water. If all your energy is going into boiling the water, you won't reach the temp necessary to caramelize.

Secondly, the maillard reaction, which is basically browning, happens at an even higher temperature. I tend to like both the caramelization and the browning in my onions for flavor, but that's a personal thing.

Zyzyxxz, I'm really interested to see what you find out about it.

Zyzyxxz

I would be skeptical about adding water with the onions. Firstly, caramelization happens at the lowest at 110C/230F, which is greater than boiling water. If all your energy is going into boiling the water, you won't reach the temp necessary to caramelize.

Secondly, the maillard reaction, which is basically browning, happens at an even higher temperature. I tend to like both the caramelization and the browning in my onions for flavor, but that's a personal thing.

Zyzyxxz, I'm really interested to see what you find out about it.

True which is why I don't think they are "true" caramelized but then again most people don't have my patience or setup to allow me to let onions sit forever without much stirring.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I always love reading through this thread. Seriously. Just writing this to say thank you to all who share your wonderful dishes.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
The way I learned how to carmelize onions is sort of in-between those 2 ways. Medium-high heat, and whenever they are starting to stick/brown too heavily, place a tiny splash of water on the trouble spots and "deglaze" those spots onto the actual onions with a silicone utinsil. Keep repeating until done. It is usually such little water that it evaporates fairly quickly, so you don't worry about steaming them.

Milchjon

I'm sure I'm not the only one reading Serious Eats. Does anyone else feel like they really ramped up the slideshows with recycled material latey?

Talon

I'm sure I'm not the only one reading Serious Eats. Does anyone else feel like they really ramped up the slideshows with recycled material latey?
Yeah. They mentioned that they just internalized ad sales and hired three people for their sales team, so maybe they're just churning out page views.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Gah, my toaster oven went tits up today.

I didn't use it much, just to toast bread, reheat pizza, ect..

I had a cheapo Black and Decker one.

Does anyone here use a toaster oven for actual baking? I wouldn't be opposed to spending a little extra money on a replacement if I use it for baking smaller things. Would probably preheat much faster than the regular oven.

Any suggestions?

Does anyone here use a toaster oven for actual baking? I wouldn't be opposed to spending a little extra money on a replacement if I use it for baking smaller things. Would probably preheat much faster than the regular oven.

Any suggestions?

Buy a regular toaster and start reheating pizza in a pan over medium heat. Just watch this....

http://devour.com/video/how-to-perfectly-reheat-pizza/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheBrooksReview+%28The+Brooks+Review%29

Someone posted that a while back on GAF and it changed my pizza eating life.

DietRob

Buy a regular toaster and start reheating pizza in a pan over medium heat. Just watch this....

http://devour.com/video/how-to-perfectly-reheat-pizza/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheBrooksReview+%28The+Brooks+Review%29

Someone posted that a while back on GAF and it changed my pizza eating life.

I remember that post and have done it before and it is really good but heating up in the toaster oven is just as good and easier IMO.

edit: So no body would recommend replacing my toaster oven?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I like having a toaster oven for many things, but not actual baking. That's akin to using an 'roided-up EasyBake Oven or trying to bake a cake under a broiler.

Silkworm

Any suggestions?

This table top oven got high marks from Amazon customers as well as from Cook's Illustrated:

Breville BOV800XL The Smart Oven 1800-Watt Convection Toaster Oven with Element IQ
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001L5TVGW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's pricey and not necessarily small but it apparently does a very good job.

Another more affordable option might be Hamilton Beach Set & Forget Toaster Oven with Convection Cooking
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0039BJ3JG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

which got reasonable Amazon user reviews and was the next highest reviewed toaster oven at Cook's Illustrated.

Hope this is of some use :)

DietRob

Thanks for the recommendations and the links Silkworm. That breville was actually one of the few I was looking at.

I'm just not sure that I want to drop 250 on it I'm also not sure if it would fit in the space I have under the upper cabinets. I'm going to keep searching around amazon and find something similar.

Keep forgetting to upload pictures. I guess I'm too lazy and not proud of my dishes as much as you guys are, haha.

Dinner tonight was simple fare. Asian-seasoned and steamed broccoli and carrots, ground turkey fried in bacon grease, and a little white rice. All mixed into a delicious and nutritious stir-fry.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Had a baking request from the girlfriend for her birthday - Cookie Monster cupcakes! - dark chocolate chunk and chocolate raspberry cupcakes with blue buttercream icing, blue coconut "fur", chocolate eyes, and a mini chocolate chip cookie

284871_10150872042854364_1199683797_n.jpg

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Had a baking request from the girlfriend for her birthday - Cookie Monster cupcakes! - dark chocolate chunk and chocolate raspberry cupcakes with blue buttercream icing, blue coconut "fur", chocolate eyes, and a mini chocolate chip cookie

I need a recipe! That looks awesome!

Ahahaha that's so cute. I love his expression.

CrankyJay

Banned
nakedsushi, caramelizing onions shouldn't take more than 30 minutes for 2lb of onions.Just use a hot skillet, a good amount of oil or butter, high heat and add a bit of sugar to the onions when putting them into the skillet. keep stirring a lot because they tend to burn quite fast.

I like to drizzle a little balsamic vinegar in addition to the sugar added.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I need a recipe! That looks awesome!

Goes a little something like this

Muffin recipe (really this could be anything)
Makes 12

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
150g dark chocolate block cut into chunky chips
1 cup unsweetened yoghurt
3/4 cup raspberry jam
1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions

Special equipment: Muffin tin with paper muffin cases

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Put the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa, sugar, and the chocolate chunks into a large bowl. Pour all the wet ingredients into a measuring jug. Mix the dry and wet ingredients together, remembering that a lumpy batter makes the best muffins. Spoon into the prepared muffin cases. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips on top and then bake for 18-20 minutes or until the muffins are dark, risen and springy.

Cookie Monster decoration

To make the "Cookie Monster" part, colour some very coarse coconut (think I used about 100g of coconut and had plenty to spare still). Put the coconut in a ziplock bag, then drop in drops of blue food colouring, zip up, and shake/smoosh around until the coconut takes up the colour. Repeat until you get the richness and consistency of blue that you want. I then spread onto a plate and let it dry overnight.

To make the eyes, just use white chocolate buttons/melts, and dab on a pupil made of melted dark chocolate. Prep these all at once ahead of time so they are dry/set when you are handling them.

When the muffins are cooled, ice the top with blue butterceam frosting (just normal buttercream with blue food colouring mixed in). Get good coverage and go right to the edge of the muffin cases. Then dip the top into a bowl with the coloured coconut, rolling around to make sure the whole surface is covered.

Make the mouth by cutting a deep, steep and slightly curved slit down into the muffin. While the knife is in, twist it slightly to open it out, and insert a mini chocolate chip cookie so it is about halfway in.

Add a little dab of frosting above the mouth to mount the eyes. I've found it looks best when the backs of the eyes are angled up away from the mouth rather than pushed flat. Also, make him slightly cross eyed like in the photo rather than random. Having the pupils away from each other loses the likeness more. Worth looking at some Cookie Monster photos just before you do this for reference.

Well, I learned something today.

At the grocery store I saw romaine lettuce for $1.98 and green leaf lettuce for $1.78. I think to myself, "Oh, well it's twenty cents cheaper, and it's probably gonna taste the same as romaine, so I'll just use green leaf lettuce instead."

Wrong.

God, that shit tastes nasty. Never leaving romaine lettuce again. Fuck you, green leaf lettuce.

golfham goddam

Corto

I've been more of a lurker these past weeks, but those BBQ photos and Onkel and Keen's ones were great. One of yours Onkel made me realize that it's been years that I don't make a good steak tartar. Need to work on that.

Roasted/grilled potatoes with basil aioli, steak and a simple red cabbage salad.

4ECC6B06-179B-480A-9738-ED194B77426C-1158-00000192123F964C.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Hi Corto, thanks for the kind words and welcome to the thread. Steak looks already good, but the potatoes are awaome.

The wife and I made a trip to Venlo this morning to shop for coffee, Ontbijtkoek ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontbijtkoek ), a few condiments, dairy products ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vla , http://www.danone.nl/Onze-Merken/Danio ) and Grolsch. Also, we had a Breakfast for Winnars:

Clockise from top left:
- two "Frikandel speciaal", http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frikandel , fine ground "meat(?)", deep fried and served with curry ketchup, mayo and fresh onions,

- two "Frietje speciaal", also with curry ketchup, mayo and onions,

7dc1b9d73d2eec627fd09e14269f1370.jpg

a "Bamischijf", aka a small serving of Bami Goreng breaded and deep fried:
15502ded36774e7dbf125cdfeae06922.jpg

45c1ce8886fe97047dbc71fc6ce84352.jpg

a "Vleeskroket", http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kroket#Netherlands , my personal reason #1 to visit Dutchland, best compared to a serving of a thick Ragout Fin, minced, breaded and deep fried:
8e362b5c3fce4f00fe749dd79e44d159.jpg

18d3cf34c582300d4a438c66333c59b9.jpg

and a "Kaassoufflé", http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaassoufflé
f0d1e7d6784fa24525dfcf8376065619.jpg

a079a45a365cd31e59a964aff7fc55da.jpg

also, I bought a tray of readymade Filet Americaine aka Tatar http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filet_américain#Regional_variations
for dinner, will post the results later :)

stay tuned.

I see you tasted some fine Dutch culinary delights. I have family in Canada who always want frikadellen when they come over for a visit. I personally do not like them at all. Kroketten en bitterballen are great though. Putting some mustard on them makes them even better.

Corto

Here's the pre-prepped Tatar, was, well, not exactly like homemade:

Next week I'll prepare one for me and post it here. I need to talk with my local butcher to get me a nice cut of meat for it. I add a little bit of whisky on the tartar sauce. Love it! My wife is not a fan though and I don't want my 3 years old son to start on the delicacy of raw meat just right now... I think he would enjoy it though just for the novelty. hehehehe

Zyzyxxz

Here's the pre-prepped Tatar, was, well, not exactly like homemade:

Something you would only dream of (or maybe not if it was bad) in America.

I bought some artisan bread and organic butter from a farmer's market yesterday, so good. Toast the bread and spread butter with salt... such a simple pleasure but it's easy to forget how these things can be.
7896356372_8564af3a70_z.jpg

This dish has been on my menu for a while now but I kept forgetting to take pictures of it: Okonomiyaki inspired fries, basically bonito [skipjack tuna] shavings, seaweed, okonomi sauce, and Japanese mayo on top of my house made fries.
7896392512_772db1405b_z.jpg

At home my batch of carrots was finally getting to size so I dug some up and roasted it as a side to my steak
7896353850_d118661505_z.jpg

7896352266_e5d16b5a64_z.jpg

Corto

I drooled on my keyboard, Zyzyxxz. Hope you're satisfied with yourself mister! hehehehe

I need some advice from you pro guys on frying the perfect crispy potatoes in the most straight forward way possible. Do I really need to buy a thermometer or is there some trick that you guys could share without resorting to that?

Zyzyxxz

I drooled on my keyboard, Zyzyxxz. Hope you're satisfied with yourself mister! hehehehe

I need some advice from you pro guys on frying the perfect crispy potatoes in the most straight forward way possible. Do I really need to buy a thermometer or is there some trick that you guys could share without resorting to that?

A cheap thermometer even if it is off by by 10 degrees is better than guessing. You can get one for a few bucks and it will take out all the guess work. I fry stuff all day and I barely can tell the temp by hovering my hand over the oil. Also my fryer has its own thermometer so that helps. If you are going to keep fry go for a candy thermometer/frying one since you can just leave it in the pot while you cook, so no trying to hold it over hot oil while it splats over your arm.

*edit* as for crispy potato frying try this recipe for fries, I think you can adapt it for a whole potato too:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/05/perfect-french-fries-recipe.html

This dish has been on my menu for a while now but I kept forgetting to take pictures of it: Okonomiyaki inspired fries, basically bonito [skipjack tuna] shavings, seaweed, okonomi sauce, and Japanese mayo on top of my house made fries.
7896392512_772db1405b_z.jpg

I can personally attest that these fries are out of control. I had some on Saturday and can't stop raving about it. What a great idea! I may show up next week with a friend just to eat those fries. Talk about umami bomb.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
The okonomiyaki fries look great -- fun take on cultural appropriation, too -- but I have the worst memory associated with actual okonomiyaki from New Year's eve 2010, heh. Shaved fish, mayo, and copious amounts of alcohol are a baaad combo.

Haven't had the time or energy to work on anything too interesting lately, although I did randomly make a couple batches of Pocky-esque chocolate sticks a few nights ago when there was some downtime, and worked on a bunch of assorted viennoiserie for the Square Enix group that's in town for PAX.

Anyone got a good chicken recipe? By chicken I mean boneless/skinless chicken breast? I was thinking a rap of some sort, but it's so hard to give chicken truly good flavour for me. I made fajita's a couple times and that's pretty good, but I want to try something new. I never know which seasonings/marinades/whatever will pack a good punch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom