• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
any particular reason? I'm going to university in a few weeks and basically all my meat I'll be cooking will be grilled. These foreman type grills look pretty good and convenient! I am a novice at cooking also.

the foreman grills don't develop enough heat for a real "grilled" taste, so you would be better (and way cheaper) off with a grilling pan.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Anyone got a good chicken recipe? By chicken I mean boneless/skinless chicken breast? I was thinking a rap of some sort, but it's so hard to give chicken truly good flavour for me. I made fajita's a couple times and that's pretty good, but I want to try something new. I never know which seasonings/marinades/whatever will pack a good punch.

I'll marinate some chicken breast for chicken skewers tonight, using a bit of honey, Hoisin sauce, a bit of white wine and Five Spice Powder. Always works.

Inspired by the sex in a pan thread, I decided to make one and here's the result. It was a good cheesecake!
I still prefer sex.

iZbroPKFE5dSD.JPG

iUbjZlB06HNxA.JPG

Corto

Hot spicy shrimp pasta with roasted sweet potatoes. It was an odd mix but I had to do something with the potatoes today. The sweetness and the hotness married well though...

fotografia-5.jpg

Yes Boss!

Been a couple of years since I cooked anything substantial. That said, using my micro kitchen and single pot/pressure cooker I made an old stalwart: Chicken Tikka Masala. Kinda a British staple, I take it back to India by forgoeing the easy garam masala in favor of whole spices at the initial fry. Also add a mixture of hot peppers...whole jalapenos, thai chilis blended with the tomatoes, and ample good quality ground red pepper. All nicely molified by cream at the end. Spent a good hour layering the spice for a complex flavor, despite the simple yin yang plating. Have some ground cashew in there as well. Also got some citrus in with the yogurt at the marinade stage. And used greek yogurt for the first time! I usually strain my yogurt but with greek you don't have to. Put a lot of dried fenu greek in as well...one of my favorite herbs.

EF9C1CC1-39FE-457A-89F1-E62D97014806-470-000000792B75B491.jpg

Made a nice batch. My work was throwing away new stainless pans (for a hospital), so grabbed a few for prep, and storage!

49006BE8-9DCF-41FB-9950-C77F5DD33C11-470-0000007941225522.jpg

kami_sama

This dish has been on my menu for a while now but I kept forgetting to take pictures of it: Okonomiyaki inspired fries, basically bonito [skipjack tuna] shavings, seaweed, okonomi sauce, and Japanese mayo on top of my house made fries.
7896392512_772db1405b_z.jpg

Wait, do you make them, or they are from some restaurant? I'd love to be able to eat some of these!

Need to stock up on veggies next time I'm at the grocery store and I'm getting tired of broccoli and carrots. Thinking of asparagus and maybe cauliflower, any recommendations fellas?

I made these this morning ...

Caramel Pecan Bars

(pic not mine)

Turned out great. Kinda tastes like brown sugar cinnamon pop tarts in soft brownie form.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I made these this morning ...

Caramel Pecan Bars

(pic not mine)

Turned out great. Kinda tastes like brown sugar cinnamon pop tarts in soft brownie form.

Sounds pretty damn good, aside from that I'm allergic to nuts!

Cooking chili, again. Seems to be turning out fine, despite trying out a new recipe!

A few weeks ago my gf bought me some sheets of gelatin, and I'm trying to come up with some dessert to use them for.

Anyone got a good recipe or idea? Never used gelatin before.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
A few weeks ago my gf bought me some sheets of gelatin, and I'm trying to come up with some dessert to use them for.

Anyone got a good recipe or idea? Never used gelatin before.

A frozen mousse cake is a pretty classic and common usage for gelatin sheets, but maybe more involved than you care to get.

Aside from Jell-o, gelatin isn't really something you base a recipe around; it's more for improved structure of things like mousses and pastry creams.

A frozen mousse cake is a pretty classic and common usage for gelatin sheets, but maybe more involved than you care to get.

Aside from Jell-o, gelatin isn't really something you base a recipe around; it's more for improved structure of things like mousses and pastry creams.
Nice thanks for the advice, and yeah I'm not trying to base a recipe around it, I just want it to be put to some use.

Didn't know you could use it for marshmallows for example...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
This is the last time I cook sardines, it always stinks up the house like crazy.

If I had some vanilla extract right now I could warm it in the oven and kill the smell, but I have none:(

Have any of you guys checked out runnyrunny999's channel on Youtube? He's this Japanese guy who takes requests and makes some pretty damned good-looking Japanese dishes in his little apartment. There's some mouth-watering stuff there.

What impresses me the most is not only is he a great cook, but his videos have outstanding production values. And he's a very funny, intelligent guy.

This is the last time I cook sardines, it always stinks up the house like crazy.

If I had some vanilla extract right now I could warm it in the oven and kill the smell, but I have none:(

Leave out a bowl of white vinegar. We do that when we deep-fry things to get rid of the "we just fried stuff" smell.

If you have herbs like thyme or rosemary, drop a few sprigs of that in with half a sliced lemon in a shallow pan and boil it on low for half an hour.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Can you give me a good french toast recipe? Every time I make french toast it's too eggy tasting, lol.

I did the following for the above which served 2 people. Comes out really soft and fluffy, and not eggy at all.

4 slices white toast bread (or whatever soft and fresh thick bread you have).
3 eggs
1/4 cup milk
splash of vanilla
cinnamon

Cut the crusts off slices of bread and cut lengthwise in half.

Break 3 eggs into a bowl. Spice up with a little cinnamon. Put in a few drops of vanilla. Add about a 1/4 cup of milk. Mix up with a fork.

Heat up a pan to a medium heat. One at a time, put a piece of bread into the egg mixture, then flip over with tongs. You are really only dipping/immersing them quickly for 5 or 6 seconds total, not soaking for any longer than that. Pick up, let excess drip off for a second or two, then put into pan. Cook each side for about a minute tops, until golden and just starting to tinge brown. When you flip one over, get another one started so you can get into a rhythm and get through them quickly.

The key is probably not soaking the bread in the egg too much, and not having your pan too hot. If you find it is still too eggy for your liking, water down with more milk.

I just moved into a new house, and have a new, sleek kitchen to play it.
What are the basic, and essential, ingredients I need to stock up on?
I am already looking at getting different flour types, some olive oil, butter, but dunno what else to get (and would like to get the basic stuff in one go if possible).

Neki

I did the following for the above which served 2 people. Comes out really soft and fluffy, and not eggy at all.

4 slices white toast bread (or whatever soft and fresh thick bread you have).
3 eggs
1/4 cup milk
splash of vanilla
cinnamon

Cut the crusts off slices of bread and cut lengthwise in half.

Break 3 eggs into a bowl. Spice up with a little cinnamon. Put in a few drops of vanilla. Add about a 1/4 cup of milk. Mix up with a fork.

Heat up a pan to a medium heat. One at a time, put a piece of bread into the egg mixture, then flip over with tongs. You are really only dipping/immersing them quickly for 5 or 6 seconds total, not soaking for any longer than that. Pick up, let excess drip off for a second or two, then put into pan. Cook each side for about a minute tops, until golden and just starting to tinge brown. When you flip one over, get another one started so you can get into a rhythm and get through them quickly.

The key is probably not soaking the bread in the egg too much, and not having your pan too hot. If you find it is still too eggy for your liking, water down with more milk.

Thanks, will try it out next time I'm in the mood for french toast!

Harvest season so lots of cucumbers, onions, and the sun gold cherry tomatoes coming through in copious quantities, which means lots of salads with feta, possibly my eat-for-rest-of-life desert island meal. But for those salads we use our barrel-shaped apple cucumbers, our others we've been saving for pickling:
pickles.jpg

It still amuses me that I never knew cucumbers have little spikes on them. These got knocked out pretty quick today, now the two week wait begins :(.

I bought one of the Le Creuset cast iron grills a little while ago seeing as I cannot have a BBQ on the balcony of my apartment. I have not used it very much and am not such a great cook; always have difficulty judging how long to leave my meat grill. I like it medium rare and
Find it really hard to get right. Anyways, tonight I bought a nice piece of filet mignon and was so happy!
559D34B9-4D01-49DB-9213-41D152B6EF02-5355-00000375D5C84A59.jpg

neocoder

Banned
With french it almost has to be challah or brioche, I prefer challah personally.

Yes, challah bread makes a big difference.

The french toast recipe I use comes from cooksillustrated.com. The difference I see is that it uses flour & sugar.

1 lg egg
2 T unsalted butter melted
3/4 C milk
2 t vanilla extract
2 T sugar
1/3 C flour
1/2 t salt

Melt the butter and mix it with the egg. Then add the rest of the ingredients and mix it. I soak the bread for about 45 seconds per side.

Challah bread is essential. A second choice would be to use a good hearty white bread.

Neki

Yeah I'm usually not big on buying anything but white and whole wheat lol. I'll try it with some big sliced white bread next time.

Corto

I bought one of the Le Creuset cast iron grills a little while ago seeing as I cannot have a BBQ on the balcony of my apartment. I have not used it very much and am not such a great cook; always have difficulty judging how long to leave my meat grill. I like it medium rare and
Find it really hard to get right. Anyways, tonight I bought a nice piece of filet mignon and was so happy!
559D34B9-4D01-49DB-9213-41D152B6EF02-5355-00000375D5C84A59.jpg

Chris, that's awesome!

So thanks for the comments on what to use gelatin for.

This is the result!!

Raspberry mousse cake
Bottom layer is a pie bottom. Then a raspberrymousse layer, sliced strawberries covered in raspberry gel.

raspberrycake.jpg

raspberrycake2.jpg

raspberrycake3.jpg

Great cake with a very strong and clear taste. I may need to put even more gelatin in the gel as it was a rather messy affair to handle. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom