• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
sgGof.jpg

Yeah, this is my away slop.

Prosciutto, soba noodles, grated romano, lots of hemp oil, seasonings, and a bit of my special sauce. Not pictured was some hot buttered cornbread on the side---or more like smashed all over and about it as this was the thing that taught me that butter and prosciutto somebody combine especially well.

^-- Looks good. Did you use gelatin for both the top and bottom layers?
Yup. Ended up with 9 sheets of gelatin (6 for the mousse and 3 for the gel). The gel could have needed an extra sheet which is perfect as packages here in Denmark come with 10 sheets.

that cake looks overwhelming and at the same time delicious, good work.
Unfortunately me and my gf also end up eating so much that our stomaches hurts. We just can't help it... that one extra piece ;_;

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I grilled the best, most tender Filet of my life and I've had a lot of steak!

This was my first time buying costco beef. I got 4 large Filet's for 30 bucks. It's some of the best beef (non wagyu) I have ever tasted and for a pretty great price.

inHlcOvB3xmA0.jpg

DietRob

I don't know if Rob is like me but sometimes I like to eat with paper plates as well. When I'm feeling really lazy on the cleaning front, lol.

LOL. This is it.

I even have a dish washer but I'm super lazy in this regard. We just had a B-Day party for my son a few weeks ago and have TONS of paper plates laying around. I haven't washed dishes in about 2 weeks. (except for pots and pans of course)

Nice steak and green beans. But why are you eating them on a paper plate? Aren't you scared your knife might cut through it?

It was really so tender that I barely used the knife. I was a bit worried about it though.

I feel guilty for not having any time last weekend to make bacon jam.

Instead, I ended up baking some cookies with friends (one was having a dating crisis so he wanted to bake to soothe his mind).

Recipe is from An American Cupcake in London, which she'd adapted from another recipe:

Cookies & Cream Cookies (or as we call them, Inception Cookies)

Ended up using Cool Mint Oreos instead of regular and they're actually not terribly sweet with just a hint of mint from the Oreos.

A705F78D-CC0A-4946-B102-520A1B544672-4312-000002E3A2E1FAE2.jpg

Last night though, we made a milkshake from a recipe my friend found: Rice Krispy Treat Milkshake.

FB0370AA-8844-449B-943E-3B2D1AF03409-4312-000002E3A951F346.jpg

Basically: 1 1/2 cups of vanilla ice cream, 1/2 cups of milk (we used whole), 1/2 cups of rice krispies & 1/4 cup of marshmallow fluff.

Verdict: Tasted like a rice krispy treat.

The Adder

Banned
Don't have a camera that flatters my food much but

Whipped up a big batch of this soup last night.

Celery, onion, carrots, garlic, red wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, sweet peppers, habenero pepper, various seasonings, roux, milk.

thespot84

If you can learn how to prep a loin (getting rid of the silverskin, cutting/butterflying the top and measuring out your filets) you can save even more at costco by buying the whole thing and making your own filets...

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Anyone have a good, fairly healthy, ramen recipe? I've found a love for the non-brick ramen and would love to make some using the actual non 33 cents noodles. Anyone have some tasty recipes?

LOL. This is it.

I even have a dish washer but I'm super lazy in this regard. We just had a B-Day party for my son a few weeks ago and have TONS of paper plates laying around. I haven't washed dishes in about 2 weeks. (except for pots and pans of course)
lmao similar thing for me, birthday party finished, left over plastic plates, ate with them for the next 3 weeks.

And plan on buying more. Except not for a party this time.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Anyone have a good, fairly healthy, ramen recipe? I've found a love for the non-brick ramen and would love to make some using the actual non 33 cents noodles. Anyone have some tasty recipes?
Since no one else is responding I can point you to this. Although be forewarned, I have never ever tried to make ramen from scratch (which I consider a very daunting endeavor). I always refer to his blog from time to time for other dishes, however, so perhaps it may help you as well.

What should I make tonight / this weekend IronGaf? I'm thinking something that isn't too difficult to make, maybe something casserolish for left overs. Any good casserole recommendations? (other than tuna)

I could also use a good soup recommendation too. Some kind of cream soup perhaps.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
What should I make tonight / this weekend IronGaf? I'm thinking something that isn't too difficult to make, maybe something casserolish for left overs. Any good casserole recommendations? (other than tuna)

I could also use a good soup recommendation too. Some kind of cream soup perhaps.
what's in your fridge?

At the moment - absolutely nothing. That's partly why I'm trying to figure out what I want to make now so I can pick it up at the store. I think a Mexican Tortilla soup might be good.

thespot84

At the moment - absolutely nothing. That's partly why I'm trying to figure out what I want to make now so I can pick it up at the store. I think a Mexican Tortilla soup might be good.

It's good and it's easy!. I've only made it with shredded chicken though, you could easily buy one of those rotisseries from the grocery store and make it yourself.

Is it leek season where you are? Potato leek gratin with gruyere is a good casserole standby. Tomato season right now for us, too, so simple lasagnas with a home made sauce could be nice. Enchiladas can substitute nicely for casseroles, too, we've been making zucchini ones since we're awash in summer squash.

I made fresh tomato sauce with San Marzanos we got from the Alhambra farmer's market last weekend. I always forget how much diced onion adds to tomato sauce. The tomatoes were super sweet!

I even have enough sauce leftover for another batch later.

I'm working from home today, so I whipped up a quick lunch from stuff I had in the fridge. Smoked salmon, rice, simple lamb's lettuce salad with san marzano tomatoes, and natto.

Corto

Didn't have much time for cooking so I made portobello and chorizo bruschetta with terrincho cheese (a traditional portuguese sheep cheese with a 3 months maturation period) on top. Really glad with the final result!

^-- I can't stop eating it even though I get a little grossed out 3/4 of the way into the container. I just love slimey things I guess.

^-- I can't stop eating it even though I get a little grossed out 3/4 of the way into the container. I just love slimey things I guess.

Natto is great for getting friendly with the sushi chef, though (at least in the US). Either he has it and he's impressed you ordered it, or he doesn't and he's sheepish about it.

Underwhelming haul from the Asian supermarket, because I was a little unsure of the meat's quality.

Still, got some bean sprouts, Japanese yam, Thai chili peppers (dried), as well as some Chinese egg noodles. Enough to spice up my meals.

Cleaned up my folders and saw I had this picture of a cake I made some months ago. Thought I would share.

Just a personal cake/brownie cake, but with green icing and gummy bears on top

bearcake.jpg

My wife is making Italian pulled beef sandwiches for dinner tonight.

Gonna be doing a lot of crock pot cooking over the next few months. One kid in travel hockey, the other playing soccer and trying out for a play.

Welp, I have to take a break from cooking (and doing dishes!) for a while. I managed to cut my knife-holding hand. Was washing my knife and accidentally got the corner caught on my hand and sliced right through like butter. The meaty part of my thumb was open like a pacman! I usually don't go to the hospital for things like this, but with the amount of blood gushing out, I figured I might as well go.

Not gonna post a pic here, but if anyone wants to get grossed out by the stitches:
here you go

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ooh, that looks painful.

Hope it heals soon.

DietRob

Welp, I have to take a break from cooking (and doing dishes!) for a while. I managed to cut my knife-holding hand. Was washing my knife and accidentally got the corner caught on my hand and sliced right through like butter. The meaty part of my thumb was open like a pacman! I usually don't go to the hospital for things like this, but with the amount of blood gushing out, I figured I might as well go.

Not gonna post a pic here, but if anyone wants to get grossed out by the stitches:
here you go

Ouch! Thanks for not posting the pic in here. I'm way to squeamish to give it a look. Your description was unsettling enough.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I made

Chicken and Pork stir fried with scallions, red onion, dried chlies, garlic and ginger.
Yellow zucchini stir fried with baby bok choy
Udon noodles

Was amazing. I should have took pictures but it was my first meal of the day and I was hungry as hell.

DietRob

I made

Chicken and Pork stir fried with scallions, red onion, dried chlies, garlic and ginger.
Yellow zucchini stir fried with baby bok choy
Udon noodles

Was amazing. I should have took pictures but it was my first meal of the day and I was hungry as hell.

Sounds delicious. I can't believe you allowed your hunger to let IronGAF down. :p

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef

here you go

:(
get well soon!

had a similar episode when using a Sashimi knife to cut a burger bun in half and slicing open the top half of the left ring finger. had guests at the time, so just applied a compression bandage on it and played cool. went ok for fifteen minutes, after that one of the guests told me "you're bleeding on the patio", cover blewn...

Corto

here you go

Ouch indeed. Wish you a fast recovery nakedsushi. And don't write off that hand model career. There's always photoshop! ;)

Edit:

Had some time on my hands and a bunch of muscovado sugar so made a "Tigelada de Abrantes" dessert but replacing the regular sugar by the muscovado.

Cooked some minced goat meat today. I was surprised that it was not very easy to find considering the reasonably large Middle-Eastern and Indian population in my area. Turned out very well though.

Zyzyxxz

Man I keep forgetting to take pictures of new stuff I make, so heres some shots my friend did of me plating some of my old stuff, the panang curry fries.

7958907812_e3fa82a1b2_z.jpg

7958907444_0fc36c142e_z.jpg

7958908152_5e54169064_z.jpg

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
had a great liege waffle in cincinnati, ohio this morning at TASTE OF BELGIUM. thought i'd share the attractiveness.

now, does anyone in BELGIUM want to help me get a great, authentic, heavy iron waffle pan? takers?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Anyone can suggest a simple chicken recipe I can do any day of the week for dinner when I come back from work? I don't eat enough chicken.

joe2187

Banned
Anyone can suggest a simple chicken recipe I can do any day of the week for dinner when I come back from work? I don't eat enough chicken.

Just marinate some chicken breasts in your fridge.

Minced Garlic
Thyme
Olive oil.

Throw it under the skin and let it sit in your fridge, pan sear it when you're ready, I like to cook it together with some spinach, kale or green beans after it's about done. Or throw in some butter S&P and some shrooms, shouldn't take no more than 15 mins

Leeness

Chicken recipe that I enjoy. Though I suggest less salt.

And since I haven't been in here for a bit, a couple of cakes I made in the last little while.

This one was a strawberry cake (I didn't take a picture of the inside, but it's bright pink) with chocolate coffee buttercream. The pink buttercream got a little weird and I didn't know that whipping it for like, ten minutes, would fix it up. Oh well. Haha my poor penmanship. :D

This one is more recent. And I was too lazy to do fondant for a cake that a bunch of teen girls were just going to eviscerate. But it's a baseball cake. Chocolate orange cake with vanilla orange buttercream. It was fun carving it up and it's the first cake I've done with that kind of shape.

The only way I know how to cook chicken is to roast a whole one. Doesn't really take that long if you prep it in the morning. Thomas Keller's method is what I use: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWLt6G85zC4

Just wash and pat dry the chicken in the morning and stick it in the fridge. By the time you get home, the skin will be nice and dry. Rub it with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, stick half an onion and half a lemon and a bunch of rosemary inside the chicken's butt. Roast for 45 minutes.

In that 45 minutes, you can go take a shower or prepare some sides.

The best thing about roast chicken is plenty of leftovers if you're eating it yourself. Save the rest for chicken sandwiches (shred chicken roughly, slather with mustard and plenty of fresh cracked pepper).

Use the bones to make broth, or my favorite thing, chicken porridge! Chicken bones, water, rice, cook till rice breaks down, add more water if it's too dry. Top with green onions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom