• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

raindoc

saturday's lunch:

Rosemary Potatoes
7960649928_9cc1b85a89_z.jpg

Lecso

& Steak

Light lunch, eh?

Nah it looks good. I haven't had steak and potatoes in a long time.

(you can see the pics if you remove "1.2.3.11/bmi/" from the links)

thanks for the links-tipp/heads-up (my browser showed them anyway)

and talking about "light lunch" - over here (central europe) lunch usually is the main meal of the day, nothing "light" about it. ;)

This one is more recent. And I was too lazy to do fondant for a cake that a bunch of teen girls were just going to eviscerate. But it's a baseball cake. Chocolate orange cake with vanilla orange buttercream. It was fun carving it up and it's the first cake I've done with that kind of shape.
Really impressive with the ball shaped caked. Did you just use different sized layers and use the buttercream to make it completely circular?

Nutella Cookies:)
Yay dyon is back! I need to work in all these different shapes into my cakes and cookies. So simple but it really makes the presentation into something special.

Btw dyon, I'm copying your colorful butter cake next weekend :)

Leeness

Really impressive with the ball shaped caked. Did you just use different sized layers and use the buttercream to make it completely circular?

Cake itself is pretty ball shaped under the icing. I made three layers, flattened them and kept the excess. Gave the bottom layer a slope so it wasn't just a dome on a cake board. Gave it dowels and a cardboard bit so the top two layers wouldn't crush the bottom layer down. Crumb coated it, threw it in the freezer, and then carved it. :) Used the excess stuff on top because it was a little too short.

It was a lot of fun and the first time I've done a cake that required some serious carving.

Zyzyxxz

Lobster mushrooms are in season, they were tasty but I don't think I would buy em again, rather spend my money on matsutake's which have just come into season early this year.
7966670816_25633e7415_z.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The only way I know how to cook chicken is to roast a whole one. Doesn't really take that long if you prep it in the morning. Thomas Keller's method is what I use: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWLt6G85zC4

Just wash and pat dry the chicken in the morning and stick it in the fridge. By the time you get home, the skin will be nice and dry. Rub it with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, stick half an onion and half a lemon and a bunch of rosemary inside the chicken's butt. Roast for 45 minutes.

In that 45 minutes, you can go take a shower or prepare some sides.

The best thing about roast chicken is plenty of leftovers if you're eating it yourself. Save the rest for chicken sandwiches (shred chicken roughly, slather with mustard and plenty of fresh cracked pepper).

Use the bones to make broth, or my favorite thing, chicken porridge! Chicken bones, water, rice, cook till rice breaks down, add more water if it's too dry. Top with green onions.

Thanks I'll try that out!

Tonight I made tacos. Bottom layer of avocado, ground beef cooked with chopped onions, topped with plain yogurt and lots of sriracha sauce. They look boring but taste great and are really easy and quick to make.

How difficult is it to make curry? Could a noob like me do it? Zyzyxxz - I think I remember you posting a recipe a while back for a roux that involved ketchup .. is that fairly simple?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Lately I've been making a dough using masa harina, pressing the dough into cupcake tins, filling them with all sorts of different things, and then baking them for about 20 minutes at 350. Masa harina is super cheap and the "dough" that I make is really simple. Today I made some cups and filled the bottoms with cheddar and bacon pieces, and then poured an egg and heavy cream mixture into it. It was sort of like a quiche. It was quite good though it needed more cheddar and salt. XD

Anyway, I find the masa harina dough to be quite versatile and very quick to make.

I've also made pizza cups, taco cups, and chicken pot pie cups; all of which received rave reviews from my family.

I made my own teriyaki sauce by reducing soy sauce with brown sugar and a few other seasonings... tastes delicious, and I'm going to use it as a baste for a baked pork tenderloin. Can't wait....

Zyzyxxz

How difficult is it to make curry? Could a noob like me do it? Zyzyxxz - I think I remember you posting a recipe a while back for a roux that involved ketchup .. is that fairly simple?

I have a recipe for a pretty intensive roux but it's not that bad.

-Caramelize onions, slice em super thin so they caramelize faster, just stir constantly over low -heat for 30 minutes in a little butter and oil.
-Add minced garlic and ginger and cook unitl soft.
-Add equal parts ketchup (or half amount of tomato paste), soy sauce
-Add in more oil and dump in equal parts flour and curry powder (make sure its relatively fresh and good quality). Once the dry ingredients are mixed together properly set it aside until you need it for the curry which you can use either water or chicken stock if you have it as the base liquid.

Esch

Banned
by god, im going to make some Panang Curry fries.

Think i'll try making em waffle fries though. And Duck curry?

Maybe cook the fries in duck fat on top of that?

I have a recipe for a pretty intensive roux but it's not that bad.

-Caramelize onions, slice em super thin so they caramelize faster, just stir constantly over low -heat for 30 minutes in a little butter and oil.
-Add minced garlic and ginger and cook unitl soft.
-Add equal parts ketchup (or half amount of tomato paste), soy sauce
-Add in more oil and dump in equal parts flour and curry powder (make sure its relatively fresh and good quality). Once the dry ingredients are mixed together properly set it aside until you need it for the curry which you can use either water or chicken stock if you have it as the base liquid.

With my Thai curries I just use the curry paste that I get from the Asian market. Super easy and fast.

Thanks. I think just for a first time thing I'm gonna make this since it seems pretty easy ...
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/curried-coconut-chicken/detail.aspx

by god, im going to make some Panang Curry fries.

Think i'll try making em waffle fries though.

I've never had that but just the sounds of it is making me hungry. Please post pics of the finished product if you can.

Dinner from last night - Filet steak with mushroom sauce, roast rosemary potatoes, and honey glazed baby carrots

homersimpsondrool.gif

That mushroom sauce alone looks like all I need.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
That mushroom sauce alone looks like all I need.

Yep, both times I have made it, I've ended up just eating the leftover sauce on its own. Would probably go well with nice thick bread.

Super easy to make. Finely chop a small white onion and 2 cloves of garlic. Sautee in butter in a pot on a medium heat until transparent. Throw in some sliced button mushrooms. Add some full cream and some water (which will boil off). Add salt and liberal chicken stock (or mushroom stock I suppose) to taste. Stir regularly, and reduce down to thick sauce.

Yes! :)

Really? Please post here the results! I would love to see it :)
Ok I had time to cake this evening and decided to bake it already.

colorcake1.jpg

colorcake2.jpg

As you can see from the second picture it wasn't fully baked. My oven is pretty piss poor so it's never certain that a given time is enough. Oh well now I know for the next time.

I also think that while the visuals are 10/10 the taste is rather plain, not surprisingly as it's based off a regular butter cake recipe. I'm thinking that perhaps adding different taste to each colored cream will make it better. I just need to figure out how not to overdo it with unmatching tastes.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I feel like I've asked this before, but could I get some cutting board recommendations? The one I'm currently using has been submerged a few times, and is starting to splinter! It's also far too small.

Thanks. I think just for a first time thing I'm gonna make this since it seems pretty easy ...
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/curried-coconut-chicken/detail.aspx

Went through with the plan. The curry turned out awesome. I ate way too much but I couldn't stop myself.

iEc9T3MXBebaI.jpg

iYeJytkNj8bJZ.jpg

Also made some really excellent chocolate chip cookies using a recipe I never tried before but will use solely from now on (oddly enough it uses instant pudding mix):

http://i.minus.com/ibpLZIsVzbLjNb.jpg

I think the next cooking project will be an attempt to make Ze Onkel proud ... Kaese Spaetzle

Went through with the plan. The curry turned out awesome. I ate way too much but I couldn't stop myself.

iEc9T3MXBebaI.jpg

Looks good! Was it spicy? I see some peppers floating in there. I'm craving some curry now too, but the weather's too hot to even think about making any. I always think of curry as a cold-weather thing.

Looks good! Was it spicy? I see some peppers floating in there. I'm craving some curry now too, but the weather's too hot to even think about making any. I always think of curry as a cold-weather thing.

Yes indeed. Had a good heat to it. I think next time I'd like to replace the chicken with cubed sweet potato or yukon potato. Does that sound like it would work? Or would it get too soft simmering for 40 minutes? Has anyone tried that?

Yes indeed. Had a good heat to it. I think next time I'd like to replace the chicken with cubed sweet potato or yukon potato. Does that sound like it would work? Or would it get too soft simmering for 40 minutes? Has anyone tried that?

Hah, I was just thinking about using a sweet potato to make it vegetarian. I think it would work, but I wouldn't put it in during the beginning. Maybe for the last 10 minutes? You want the sweet potato to be still kinda chunky and not mushy, right?

I've successfully made curry with frozen tofu torn into chunks for the protein part. Just freeze a whole block of tofu the night before, thaw out in the fridge the morning of and when you cook it for dinner, squeeze out all the water from the thawed out tofu. Should be kinda spongy. Add to the curry.

Talon

Seems like butternut squash might be a better choice than sweet potatoes.

Now I'm just curious as to how that would taste.

Ok I had time to cake this evening and decided to bake it already.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/MKiller/colorcake1.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/MKiller/colorcake2.jpg[IMG]

As you can see from the second picture it wasn't fully baked. My oven is pretty piss poor so it's never certain that a given time is enough. Oh well now I know for the next time.

I also think that while the visuals are 10/10 the taste is rather plain, not surprisingly as it's based off a regular butter cake recipe. I'm thinking that perhaps adding different taste to each colored cream will make it better. I just need to figure out how not to overdo it with unmatching tastes.[/QUOTE]
Get an oven thermometer so you know the actual temp inside it, also use a cocktail stick and stick it in the cake. If it comes out clean it's done.

PS. if this is old news for you disregard my comment.

I make curry with sweet potato all the time, it works fine. 40 mins might be a bit long, depending on how big the chunks are. You could always boil them for 15-20 mins then add them to the curry for like 10 mins or so. Depends how soft you want it I guess.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Käsespätzle are awesome, Maklershed! Looking forward to seeing the outcome of your effort.

(un)fortunately, the temperatures in this part of the world were well over 20 degrees celsius over the last couple week, so Käsespätzle are not on my agenda at the moment. I am looking forward to colder climate, so i can enjoy them to the fullest again! :)

onkel3d.gif

Corto

Bought an avocado a few days ago and finally got the courage to make a nice salsa/salad with tomatoes, corn, olives, lime juice, red bell pepper, cilantro and one chili pepper to add some heat. I never had avocado before so I was really surprised to taste it as I expected a really sweet flavor. Next I'll try some guacamole.

Grilled a nice angus steak and added some chips hehehehe

I'll still have a bunch of the salad and now I need to think of new ways to eat it. Suggestions? ;)

Hah, I was just thinking about using a sweet potato to make it vegetarian. I think it would work, but I wouldn't put it in during the beginning. Maybe for the last 10 minutes? You want the sweet potato to be still kinda chunky and not mushy, right?

I've successfully made curry with frozen tofu torn into chunks for the protein part. Just freeze a whole block of tofu the night before, thaw out in the fridge the morning of and when you cook it for dinner, squeeze out all the water from the thawed out tofu. Should be kinda spongy. Add to the curry.

Yeah I'd want the potato part to be on the harder side. And good thinking on the tofu. I love tofu. Definitely gonna try that or the potato next time.

Seems like butternut squash might be a better choice than sweet potatoes.

Now I'm just curious as to how that would taste.

Yeah me too. I'm gonna have to eat everything up so I can make a new batch.

I make curry with sweet potato all the time, it works fine. 40 mins might be a bit long, depending on how big the chunks are. You could always boil them for 15-20 mins then add them to the curry for like 10 mins or so. Depends how soft you want it I guess.

Good to know. Thanks for the info.

Käsespätzle are awesome, Maklershed! Looking forward to seeing the outcome of your effort.

onkel3d.gif

Will do. BTW do you use a potato ricer?

thespot84

(un)fortunately, the temperatures in this part of the world were well over 20 degrees celsius over the last couple week, so Käsespätzle are not on my agenda at the moment. I am looking forward to colder climate, so i can enjoy them to the fullest again! :)
t

20C is 68F...is that too hot for a hot dish?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Grilled a lamb burger for lunch. Amazing flavor, very juicy. I really have to start using lamb meat more often for burgers .

OG Kush

Bought an avocado a few days ago and finally got the courage to make a nice salsa/salad with tomatoes, corn, olives, lime juice, red bell pepper, cilantro and one chili pepper to add some heat. I never had avocado before so I was really surprised to taste it as I expected a really sweet flavor. Next I'll try some guacamole.

Grilled a nice angus steak and added some chips hehehehe

I'll still have a bunch of the salad and now I need to think of new ways to eat it. Suggestions? ;)

got an exact recipe for this? as in whats the ratio of each vegetable etc. thanks sounsd tasty.

schnell

I have a similar recipe I use in which you add feta before serving. Considered more of a salad but still works great with chips. Or just shovel it in your mouth with a fork because it's so delicious.

I feel like I've asked this before, but could I get some cutting board recommendations? The one I'm currently using has been submerged a few times, and is starting to splinter! It's also far too small.
We use a couple of maple Boos cutting boards; one for fruits and vegetables, etc., another for strong savory flavors like garlic and onion (we're vegetarians so no meat issues). They're pretty good, usually go a few years of abuse before starting to bow a little, but still usable, and we don't make any special effort to care for them. I think our current set is about five years old, no complaints.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
We use a couple of maple Boos cutting boards; one for fruits and vegetables, etc., another for strong savory flavors like garlic and onion (we're vegetarians so no meat issues). They're pretty good, usually go a few years of abuse before starting to bow a little, but still usable, and we don't make any special effort to care for them. I think our current set is about five years old, no complaints.

I'll be sure to check them out, thanks!

Quick question IronGaf - what, in your opinion, is the best cheese for cold cut sandwiches?

Thanks.

Swiss!

Kal

Corto

got an exact recipe for this? as in whats the ratio of each vegetable etc. thanks sounsd tasty.

I used one avocado, juice from one lime, two medium sized tomatoes, three table spoons of sweet corn, three tablespoons of diced olives, three tablespoons of diced red bell pepper and one small (I'm a wimp hehehe) chilli pepper also diced. Seasoned to taste with cilantro, salt and black pepper.

As for sugestions for use, I don't need them anymore. I just took a spoon and ate the whole thing... It was even better now after a few hours on the fridge.

I have a similar recipe I use in which you add feta before serving. Considered more of a salad but still works great with chips. Or just shovel it in your mouth with a fork because it's so delicious.

That was exactly what I did but with a spoon. It was more effective than the fork hehehe

Quick question IronGaf - what, in your opinion, is the best cheese for cold cut sandwiches?

Thanks.
Sargento's colby jack is incredible.

Anyway, I tried lamb for the first time earlier. Seared it in oil with some thyme and rosemary...was wonderful.

I also made daigaku imo, which also was tremendous.

Thanks.

Provolone for most of my sandwiches (including Italian.)

For something like a roast beef, I've never tried it, but I imagine a horse-radish cheese would be great with it.

Corto

Thanks.

I'm an Havarti aficionado myself. There is a supermarket chain here that sells it with their own brand and since I found it I don't use anything else.

Made burgers.

burgersheuka.jpg

Kept the meat fairly simple. Just minced beef with ground pepper, salt, chopped garlic clove and worcester sauce. Used an egg yolk to bind it all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom