• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Collete

Quick question IronGaf - what, in your opinion, is the best cheese for cold cut sandwiches?

Thanks.

I prefer Gouda on anything even cold cut sandwiches.
But recently fell in love with a year aged sharp cheddar found at Whole Foods.

One of the best things to go on sandwiches, but it was so expensive I couldn't buy it unfortunately.

Made burgers.

burgersheuka.jpg

Kept the meat fairly simple. Just minced beef with ground pepper, salt, chopped garlic clove and worcester sauce. Used an egg yolk to bind it all together.

Nice looking burger. I like that you put the cheese below the patty. More burgers should be like that. The mouth-feel is so much nicer that way.

I guess I should wait to hear your results first but .. recipe?

Pork Chili Recipe

Prep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours
Yield: 10-12 Servings

Ingredients

2-1/2 pounds boneless pork, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 can (28 ounce) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1/4 cup salsa
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon minced jalapeno pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown pork in oil; drain. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker; add remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours. Reduce heat to low and cook 4 hours longer. Yield: 10-12 servings.

From here: http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Pork-Chili

Only thing is it's not as thick as I would like it, so I'll probably add some masa about 30 minutes beforehand to thicken it up a bit. Smells great so far, at least.

Collete

I decided to take a stab at a stir fry eggplant recipe I found online.

Ynl0x.jpg

It was really good!
First time eating eggplant as well, and I have to say it's probably something I can eat on a daily basis!

I went to the Asian market recently as well and they were preparing for the mid-autumn festival.
They were finally selling moon cakes! Filled with white lotus seed paste and it has a very nice clean luxurious taste.

DTYRC.jpg

HKiEd.jpg

opKzb.jpg

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Homemade taquitos are so good. I just made some using canned chicken (was in a rush) but it'd be 10x better with grilled or baked chicken.

Zyzyxxz

I went to the Asian market recently as well and they were preparing for the mid-autumn festival.
They were finally selling moon cakes! Filled with white lotus seed paste and it has a very nice clean luxurious taste.

Eat it with hot tea. Good way to cut the fattiness. Don't eat too much though, it's a crapload of sesame oil in it.

Pork Chili Recipe

Prep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours
Yield: 10-12 Servings

Ingredients

2-1/2 pounds boneless pork, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 can (28 ounce) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1/4 cup salsa
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon minced jalapeno pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown pork in oil; drain. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker; add remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours. Reduce heat to low and cook 4 hours longer. Yield: 10-12 servings.

From here: http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Pork-Chili

Only thing is it's not as thick as I would like it, so I'll probably add some masa about 30 minutes beforehand to thicken it up a bit. Smells great so far, at least.

So how did it turn out? Did you like it?

Collete

Eat it with hot tea. Good way to cut the fattiness. Don't eat too much though, it's a crapload of sesame oil in it.

It wasn't bad, these were low in calories and fat since they were mini moon cakes.
Really the best I ever tasted though, they were that delicious and rich.
I should try to eat them with tea next year, all the lotus seed paste ones in the variety pack are gone now. :(

Also, I went and made chocolate meringue cookies the other night.
(Note: hand power whipping takes forever! :) )

F2fQU.jpg

RAVr6.jpg

difCa.jpg

A few cracked when I took them off the cookie sheet and made a few holes in the cookies; but at least it gives them character (and to cover up my laziness!).

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Made dinner for friends tonight

Asian noodle salad
308063_10150890526394364_449491956_n.jpg

Chilli cashew chicken and rice
545651_10150890526529364_1926475103_n.jpg

Walnut vanilla and dark chocolate icecream with berry and biscuit chocolate, vanilla cream, and a home made strawberry and cointreau coulis
402698_10150890526269364_2082314960_n.jpg

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Looks delicious. Do you have recipes/directions for the first two?

The asian noodle salad is my go to starter. I just made it up one time and it has been a hit. Super easy.

1 pack udon noodles
some pine nuts
1 avocado
1 red capsicum
1 or 2 limes
1 large handful of baby spinach leaves
coriander
olive oil

Get a frying pan onto a high heat with some oil olive. Put in capsicum first, then add pine nuts, chopped coriander and udon noodles. Stir frequently.

While that is cooking away, put baby spinach into a large bowl. Cut avocado in two halves, peel, cut into slices, then add into bowl. Drizzle with olive oil.

When noodles are cooked through, tip into bowl, then use tongs to twist and mix through into baby spinach and avocado.

Use tongs to transfer salad to plate. Then cut limes and squeeze lime juice over the top (this is really the key additon that helps bring it together and adds zing), and serve.

I have also added a finely chopped red chilli into the pan mix before as well, which adds some heat.

Chilli cashew chicken I was just freestyling. I had chopped a red onion, spring onion, garlic, portobello mushrooms, red chilli and red capsicum which I threw in a hot pan with some cashew nuts to start cooking down. Add some soy sauce. When that had all started sweating, added some chicken cut into stir fry sized pieces which I had been marinading in sweet chilli sauce and extra hot peri peri sauce. Only takes a few minutes to cook from there depending how hot your pan is.

Meanwhile, I had some Uncle Bens brand 2 minute thai and basmati rice cooking in the microwave (this brand is amazing for great microwave rice).

Plate and serve. I put down a bed of greens for the chicken to sit on for additional presentation value.

If you want to get "fancy" with your rice when plating, find a small domed or squared bowl or tupperware container. Put some rice into it, then pack down a little so it is firm and more or less level with the bottom of the container. Put the serving plate upside down over the container, then flip everything back over, set down on the bench/table, and then carefully remove container. Hey presto, your rice is now sitting on the plate in an appealing ordered shape on the plate. Add the chicken around it.

Corto

Our lunch today. Roasted chicken steaks with almonds and some vegetables (sweet potatoes, carrots, onions and red bell pepper) also roasted. I had to make a last minute sauce with mustard and honey to add to the chicken as it was a bit dry. Need to perfect the time on the oven on that.

Collete

My blog has 2 years...yay! :)

2anosB.jpg

DSC04225.jpg

DSC04283.jpg

Thank you all for all your nice comments about my deserts :)

Beautiful as always and congrats!
I always hope to bake recipes that look as good as your photos.
They never turn out that way, heh.

The noodle salad looks really nice, props to you!
Liked everything else you made, but noodle salad I took a liking to.
(Unfortunately I can't find capsicum in my area so don't think I can attempt that recipe.)

barbecube

I feel like I've asked this before, but could I get some cutting board recommendations? The one I'm currently using has been submerged a few times, and is starting to splinter! It's also far too small.
I have some cheapo bamboo cutting boards that seem pretty kind of my knives. And some of those flexible vinyl ones that I got from like the dollar store or something, and a fairly nice wooden one that is, like, better than the others but I don't use it very often because I feel like I have to take good care of it or something.

But if you're going to get a cool cutting board, I like the Epicurean ones best. They're made of some kind of magic wood composite material assembled by Romanian witches, and they're like indestructible while somehow never harming your knife's edges. It's super rad. (My roommate stole mine.)

Was a bit busy this morning ...

Sour Cream Apple Pie
igLAnM7cqI4wG.jpg

The picture doesn't do it justice. It looks and smells amazing. The top reminds me of coffee cake. I can't wait to dig into this tonight.

Spicy Chicken Soup
iPMFRaSdYK9li.jpg

Buttermilk Cornbread
iPgGmVH0j6wp1.jpg

Some of the best cornbread I ever had. Moist, butter, and had a nice crisp top.

Ingredients

2 quarts water
8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons dried parsley
1 tablespoon onion powder
5 cubes chicken bouillon
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 (16 ounce) jar chunky salsa
2 (14.5 ounce) cans peeled and diced tomatoes
1 (14.5 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
2 (16 ounce) cans chili beans, undrained
1 (8 ounce) container sour cream

Directions

In a large pot over medium heat, combine water, chicken, salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley, onion powder and bouillon cubes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 1 hour, or until chicken juices run clear. Remove chicken, reserve broth. Shred chicken.

In a large pot over medium heat, cook onion and garlic in olive oil until slightly browned. Stir in salsa, diced tomatoes, whole tomatoes, tomato soup, chili powder, corn, chili beans, sour cream, shredded chicken and 5 cups broth. Simmer 30 minutes.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/catherines-spicy-chicken-soup/detail.aspx

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Awesome stuff, everybody! Thanks for sharing.

DyonPT, congrats on the anniversary! considering the quality of your output, I am sure that this won't be the last anniversary! :)

RatskyWatsky, I'd recommend getting plastic cutting boards, e.g. from Ikea, and replacing them every other year or so.

Collete

f1WN6.jpg

Friend found this dessert on Facebook but neither of us know what it is.
(The person who posted it hasn't said what it was apparently)
It looks good; so just out of curiosity...what is that?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

All of this looks AMAZING!

My blog has 2 years...yay! :)

<3 Here's to 2 more! :)

But if you're going to get a cool cutting board, I like the Epicurean ones best. They're made of some kind of magic wood composite material assembled by Romanian witches, and they're like indestructible while somehow never harming your knife's edges. It's super rad. (My roommate stole mine.)

Haha, thanks. I'll check them out on Amazon! There's one with grippers for $24 that seems pretty nice...

RatskyWatsky, I'd recommend getting plastic cutting boards, e.g. from Ikea, and replacing them every other year or so.

You mean like like this? (and they're only $3?! Ack, but they're not available online): What about these?

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Yesterday's lunch and dinner!

Lunch was chili with guacomole and salsa. Deli-bought unfortunately, but very good nonetheless. Home made Snaps though.

5AfH6l.jpg

Charkuteries

JYPOvl.jpg

Burgers! 100% beed chuck, gruyere cheese, artisanal hamburger buns, smoked bacon, caramelized onions with mustard and mayo.

TWJ4El.jpg

Also lots of wine

Torraz

The asian noodle salad is my go to starter. I just made it up one time and it has been a hit. Super easy.

1 pack udon noodles
some pine nuts
1 avocado
1 red capsicum
1 or 2 limes
1 large handful of baby spinach leaves
coriander
olive oil

Get a frying pan onto a high heat with some oil olive. Put in capsicum first, then add pine nuts, chopped coriander and udon noodles. Stir frequently.

While that is cooking away, put baby spinach into a large bowl. Cut avocado in two halves, peel, cut into slices, then add into bowl. Drizzle with olive oil.

When noodles are cooked through, tip into bowl, then use tongs to twist and mix through into baby spinach and avocado.

Use tongs to transfer salad to plate. Then cut limes and squeeze lime juice over the top (this is really the key additon that helps bring it together and adds zing), and serve.

I have also added a finely chopped red chilli into the pan mix before as well, which adds some heat.

Chilli cashew chicken I was just freestyling. I had chopped a red onion, spring onion, garlic, portobello mushrooms, red chilli and red capsicum which I threw in a hot pan with some cashew nuts to start cooking down. Add some soy sauce. When that had all started sweating, added some chicken cut into stir fry sized pieces which I had been marinading in sweet chilli sauce and extra hot peri peri sauce. Only takes a few minutes to cook from there depending how hot your pan is.

Meanwhile, I had some Uncle Bens brand 2 minute thai and basmati rice cooking in the microwave (this brand is amazing for great microwave rice).

Plate and serve. I put down a bed of greens for the chicken to sit on for additional presentation value.

If you want to get "fancy" with your rice when plating, find a small domed or squared bowl or tupperware container. Put some rice into it, then pack down a little so it is firm and more or less level with the bottom of the container. Put the serving plate upside down over the container, then flip everything back over, set down on the bench/table, and then carefully remove container. Hey presto, your rice is now sitting on the plate in an appealing ordered shape on the plate. Add the chicken around it.

Thank you very much! I'll give these a try soon.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
The noodle salad looks really nice, props to you!
Liked everything else you made, but noodle salad I took a liking to.
(Unfortunately I can't find capsicum in my area so don't think I can attempt that recipe.)

I've made it without the capsicum before and it holds up. But it does give the dish a little colour, sweetness, and crunch.

You could probably substitute thin strips of carrot just as well with similar results, though may need to leave in the pan a little longer at the start depending on how thick you make them.

Collete

Maybe fragilité (that's the Danish... erm well, the French loan word we use here in Denmark)...

tumblr_lvf3ifUIRZ1r2ens4.jpg

Looks like baklava to me.

Hm interesting.
The dessert you showed, Metroid, looks really lovely; but not sure if that's it.
(have you ever had it before? Any good?)

Think it is baklava, a fancier version of it perhaps.
Thanks you two!

I've made it without the capsicum before and it holds up. But it does give the dish a little colour, sweetness, and crunch.

You could probably substitute thin strips of carrot just as well with similar results, though may need to leave in the pan a little longer at the start depending on how thick you make them.

I would think capsicum would be needed since it add some heat, since it's a pepper?
Not sure, I could try it with carrots I suppose.
Now to get my hands on some pine nuts! Not impossible to get here, but just expensive heh.

Made some tortellini tomato spinach soup, turned out well.

cwTqj.jpg

6bi5b.jpg

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I would think capsicum would be needed since it add some heat, since it's a pepper?
Not sure, I could try it with carrots I suppose.

Red capsicum doesn't really have any heat unless you add the seeds (I never use red capsicum seeds in anything).

If you tried carrot and you wanted some heat, then add a finely sliced red chilli as the suggested optional extra and/or perhaps fry the noodles in chilli oil rather than regular olive oil.

Made lunch today since I'm working from home.

Salmon poke and crispy salmon skin. I ended up buying a salmon steak instead of the usual pre-cut salmon sashimi block. Even though it was a pain to prep the salmon steak (separate the skin, de-bone, etc.) the crispy salmon skin was worth it.

Collete

Red capsicum doesn't really have any heat unless you add the seeds (I never use red capsicum seeds in anything).

If you tried carrot and you wanted some heat, then add a finely sliced red chilli as the suggested optional extra and/or perhaps fry the noodles in chilli oil rather than regular olive oil.

Ah, I can add the red chili, plentiful in my house, heh.
Thanks for the advice!
If I ever get my hands on pine nuts, I'll be sure to make the salad and post results.

Made lunch today since I'm working from home.

Salmon poke and crispy salmon skin. I ended up buying a salmon steak instead of the usual pre-cut salmon sashimi block. Even though it was a pain to prep the salmon steak (separate the skin, de-bone, etc.) the crispy salmon skin was worth it.

Nice rice bowl!
Yeah the skins on salmon are quite good if cooked right, used to savor that part all the time.

Any tips for getting the smell of onion off your hands? I've never really had this problem before but the onion I was using on Sunday must've been extremely pungent.

So, I attempted to make pasta alla carbonara this evening and I think I got overly ambitious, but it turned out well I think.

Didn't have enough water leftover to make a real sauce, so instead, the parmesan is coating the noodles. Also made it a bit healthier with the addition of veggies (I left the cherry tomatoes whole because I like the crunch).

Will revisit, but right now, I like it a lot.

1AF53F69-445A-4CE9-A451-5121924CE9E7-3559-000002E51F39A5F4.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Any tips for getting the smell of onion off your hands? I've never really had this problem before but the onion I was using on Sunday must've been extremely pungent.

Yeah, can't stand that either. Three ideas:

1. rub down your hands with a good helping of salt

2. There are "permanent soaps" made from steel that are quite capable of removing smells from your hands, just like tthis one:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SBJB3O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

3. Palmolive (and other manufacturers) make an efficient odor-neutralizing liquid soap:
http://www.colgate.com/app/Softsoap...Variant=Odor-Neutralizing-Kitchen-Fresh-Hands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom