• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No need to be intimidated! The batter itself isn't much different than one for crepes, and the (very) expensive copper molds aren't even a necessity anymore - there are silicon versions that work shockingly well provided you can get beeswax for coating, which in my experience, is the real key to a great cannele.

Hmmmm what would happen if I put cannelé batter into a madeline mold? I have one of those but I hardly ever make madelines.

Maiar_m

Hmmmm what would happen if I put cannelé batter into a madeline mold? I have one of those but I hardly ever make madelines.

Be careful because the batter 'boils' a bit and pushes outwards. If your molds aren't deep enough, you're bound to get it everywhere.

Also, the canelé mold has this shape for a reason....I suppose ?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Gave my two foodie friends some of my pulled pork with sauerkraut slow-cooked in beer the other day. They said it was delicious and made for great sandwiches. As someone trying to pull himself from the shame of culinary dullardry that made me feel pretty good. :)

Little something I cooked up for the house on Sunday:

Balsamic Garlic Pork loin
MRwy6Dml.jpg

Ingredients:
  • Pork Loin (Cut slits into the top of the loin)
  • Minced Garlic
  • Fresh Rosemary
  • Pepper & Salt (I have some awesome rosemary salt)
  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Olive Oil
gM4c2jTl.jpg

• First rub in the balsamic vinegar
  • Then add rosemary & garlic, and coat with Olive Oil. (make sure you get into those cuts)
  • Shake on Salt & Pepper
  • Bake in 500 Degree over for 20 minutes, or until it hits 160F
LraV80Jl.jpg

ZNYWAzll.jpg

Make sure you let it rest for a few minutes before cutting, covered lightly in tin foil.
l9VZY1Ul.jpg

Got lazy with the side and just threw together some mashed potatoes. It's really all you need, though.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Pulled pork is a sure winner. It's easy to make, tastes amazing and it's "fun" to eat, not to mention that presentation is kind of non existent. It's my to-go dish when I want to impress some visit (partly because nobody knows what the heck is pulled pork over here, so they are always surprised by it).

le-seb

Also, the canelé mold has this shape for a reason....I suppose ?
It's known why the modern recipe makes use of vanilla, rum and (cane) sugar, all shipped back from West Indies, Bordeaux being one of the major French ports taking part in the triangular trade, and why it's supposed to only use egg yolks, the whites being used to filter the wine, but who really created them, and why they're using such a mould is pretty much still a mistery.

But yes, take care the dough will be boiling a bit, so don't fill the mould too much.

Simple baguette sandwich--a good cheddar, arugula, roasted red peppers, pine nuts, gochuchang mayo. Wrap it up in wax paper and take it out on a hike or whatever. Could eat this one a long time...

spicy-mayo-sandwich.jpg

v3BdPbRZXn7po465Ci7zghn3wsu4Vw0_G-SjqX2NnBs=w1184-h888-no

Not sure what I made:

Shredded marinated BBQ tofu on top of a bed of mixed beans & chickpeas dressed in olive oil/lemon pepper/cumin, fried tomatoes & bell peppers.
I was hungry and that's what I had in my cupboard & fridge.

IronGAF, meet my cannelés:

These cakes are a speciality from Bordeaux, and it's said they get their name from the shape the mould gives them (cannelure = fluting).
In my book, these are the kind of cakes I'd file in the 'My Heart Attack Can't Come Too Soon' category, because they're rather fat sweeties.

However, they're amazingly delicious because they're tender in the inside and crispy on the outside, thanks to the two phase cooking that caramelizes them.

The dough is heavily perfumed with vanilla and rum.

Perfect fit:
Caf%C3%A9.jpg
provide recipe?

CrankyJay

Banned
Marinated a whole chicken (took the backbone out and flattened it) in lemon juice, lemon zest, fresh rosemary, garlic and olive oil...

ARJw315.jpg

Cooked on charcoal with oak with a foil wrapped brick, served with some grilled lemon

80lo04I.jpg

Marinated a whole chicken (took the backbone out and flattened it) in lemon juice, lemon zest, fresh rosemary, garlic and olive oil...
Cooked on charcoal with oak with a foil wrapped brick, served with some grilled lemon
80lo04I.jpg

Beautiful. Spatchcocking the whole chicken makes so much sense but I'm apprehensive of doing it because I can never figure out where to cut. I roast chicken so rarely though, so maybe not really a skill that I need to pick up.

CrankyJay

Banned
Beautiful. Spatchcocking the whole chicken makes so much sense but I'm apprehensive of doing it because I can never figure out where to cut. I roast chicken so rarely though, so maybe not really a skill that I need to pick up.

Thanks...some notes about this...

The recipe called for a 3 to 3.5 lb chicken. My local supermarket has ridiculous sized chickens in the 5-7lb range. The only way to get a bird that small in my area is to get free range/organic, which I may try next time. It took way longer to cook than I had anticipated.

Spatchcocking a chicken is easy, just take a knife and run it down both sides of the spine to remove it. Then put the bird breast side up and press down on the breast plate to flatten it ...you'll probably hear a crack of the breast bone/cartilage when this happens.

Rosemary was from my herb garden. I love having fresh herbs at my disposal.

Thanks...some notes about this...

The recipe called for a 3 to 3.5 lb chicken. My local supermarket has ridiculous sized chickens in the 5-7lb range. The only way to get a bird that small in my area is to get free range/organic, which I may try next time. It took way longer to cook than I had anticipated.

Spatchcocking a chicken is easy, just take a knife and run it down both sides of the spine to remove it. Then put the bird breast side up and press down on the breast plate to flatten it ...you'll probably hear a crack of the breast bone/cartilage when this happens.

Rosemary was from my herb garden. I love having fresh herbs at my disposal.

A 7 lb chicken?? That's like a turkey. I do recommend the free range chickens though. That's mostly what I get when I do cook chicken and the flavor is so much better. I don't know if it's b/c the chicken is more active or what but it just tastes so much more...chickeny if you like that.

When you say run the knife down both sides of the spine and remove it, does that include the strip of flesh too? Or does that just hang on?

CrankyJay

Banned
A 7 lb chicken?? That's like a turkey. I do recommend the free range chickens though. That's mostly what I get when I do cook chicken and the flavor is so much better. I don't know if it's b/c the chicken is more active or what but it just tastes so much more...chickeny if you like that.

When you say run the knife down both sides of the spine and remove it, does that include the strip of flesh too? Or does that just hang on?

I took that off I guess, and trimmed some of the skin to prevent flare ups on my coals from the fat hitting them. Will definitely try the other birds next time...my wife is anti-organic for some reason...I usually just nod my head to keep her happy.

thespot84

I think it's a difference in feed, in particular the feed is not primarily comprised of corn and/or fishmeal (if they're really 'free range', that is)

^--- I'm jealous that you can raise chickens. I want to get a chicken or two in the back yard, but my city doesn't allow them and my neighbor hates me so she'll jump at any type of infraction she can tattletale about.

I have so many grasshoppers in the back that are just waiting for a chicken to come and eat them.

Um yeah...the weather in Maine is not really comparable to LA, is it? I wouldn't be able to get tomatoes growing for half the year in my backyard if I moved to Maine, so there are some trade-offs.

GiJoccin

it's not too bad, there are a few youtube videos on how to do it

i dont know if i do it completely right or not, but i cut away the spine w/ scissors, then open the bird up, cut on either side of the breastbone to get through the membrane, then use my fingers to push the flesh off of the breastbone on either side, and basically rip it out of the chicken. you have to do some pressing of the chicken in various ways to get some of the bones to separate easier

i've spatchcocked the family turkey the last few years, you end up with a better cooked bird with juicier breastmeat

Zyzyxxz

Dont use a knife, use kitchen shears and just cut out the backbone from the neck to the chicken butt and you can save it for stock.

le-seb

provide recipe?
Bien sûr, monsieur !

You'll need:
- 50 cℓ milk
- 2 whole eggs + 2 yolks
- 1 vanilla pod
- 2 cℓ rum
- 100 g wheat flour
- 250 g caster sugar
- 50 g butter (+ another 50 g for the moulds)

Heat the milk up with the butter and the vanilla pod (disclaimer: I suppose you already know how to prepare / use vanilla pods).

In the meantime, mix the flour with the sugar in a bowl, add the eggs and mix, and finally pour the boiling milk (remember to remove the vanilla pod first).
Gently mix the whole thing until you get some fluid and homogeneous batter.

Let it cool down, add the rum and mix, cover your bowl and put it in your fridge for at least 6 hours.
I tend to prepare the batter the day before I use it, and when I only had one mould, used to cook some more the day after, and found the cannelés even better that way.

On the D day ('D' standing for delicious, obviously), heat your oven up to 270°C.
Generously butter your moulds (like 1-2g butter per slot), take the batter out of the fridge, and fill the moulds with the batter.

Put them into the oven for 5 minutes at 270°C, lower the temperature to 180°C and cook them for an hour.
Turn them out from the mould immediately after cooking and place them on a rack for cooling down.

~Fin~

Not so pro tips:
- if you go the silicon mould route, make sure yours can stand such high temperatures!
- if you use silicon moulds, put them on rigid baking trays before filling them up, otherwise you'll cry.

le-seb

Not a big fan if zuchinni, TBH, but that recipe is *awesome* with eggplant. I used to make a very similar one (damn you, diet!) and I loved it. Just put them in the oven with some cheese on top and enjoy.

Give it a chance if you feel like trying something a bit different.
Had to check that!

I didn't feel the need for cheese, but you weren't kidding, that was awesome!

Small contribution by me..
Spaghetti with shroom &shroom soup
10624476_628936853888486_1467794460_n.jpg

thin cut garlic, salted for one minute with olive oil..
added some thin cut shroom (approx 400g) and kept them in till they browned.
kept approx 1/4 (100g in my case) of the most thin cut in one platter separated, and the remaining was thrown in the mixer to whip it, while still hot..
took out the whipped shroom, added 2 spoon of milk, 200g of mascarpone, some black pepper in powder and blended it all with a spoon. Add some small cubes of ham (used a dry-cured from parma with a 24 month mark) and continue to blend a bit with a spoon and at that point either grated truffle or walnut cut into small pieces.
Let it low fire for a minute or two (pretty much until you see some bubble on the surface)..
Let it rest..
Cook some spaghetti (al dente possibly) and when done let them salt a bit in a pan with olive oil and garlic (not too much, since we have garlic in the shroom soup) for 1 mins..
Add the shroom soup and on the top the shrrom that you didn't put in the cream at the beginning..
mix a bit and you're done..

Wanted to add some fancy stuff to make the presentation better, but i've just come back from summer break this monday and i've already worked a shitload so i whipped up a fast lunch since i'll take some time to go to the market and replenish spices, herbs and more :X
my fridge was like "nothing for you bro!", but luckily my neighbour bought me some shroom they picked this morning from a city nearby and i whipped this up! Alternative was to order something, so this is better :X

Bien sûr, monsieur !

You'll need:
- 50 cℓ milk
- 2 whole eggs + 2 yolks
- 1 vanilla pod
- 2 cℓ rum
- 100 g wheat flour
- 250 g caster sugar
- 50 g butter (+ another 50 g for the moulds)

Heat the milk up with the butter and the vanilla pod (disclaimer: I suppose you already know how to prepare / use vanilla pods).

In the meantime, mix the flour with the sugar in a bowl, add the eggs and mix, and finally pour the boiling milk (remember to remove the vanilla pod first).
Gently mix the whole thing until you get some fluid and homogeneous batter.

Let it cool down, add the rum and mix, cover your bowl and put it in your fridge for at least 6 hours.
I tend to prepare the batter the day before I use it, and when I only had one mould, used to cook some more the day after, and found the cannelés even better that way.

On the D day ('D' standing for delicious, obviously), heat your oven up to 270°C.
Generously butter your moulds (like 1-2g butter per slot), take the batter out of the fridge, and fill the moulds with the batter.

Put them into the oven for 5 minutes at 270°C, lower the temperature to 180°C and cook them for an hour.
Turn them out from the mould immediately after cooking and place them on a rack for cooling down.

~Fin~

Not so pro tips:
- if you go the silicon mould route, make sure yours can stand such high temperatures!
- if you use silicon moulds, put them on rigid baking trays before filling them up, otherwise you'll cry.

appreciated! question, if i go with rum extract, i assume i'll have to lower the dose.. how much? else I have some bourbon (in this case does this add substantially to the final result? got some Evan Williams, Black Maple I can use in case) and that might do the trick as well right?

le-seb

appreciated! question, if i go with rum extract, i assume i'll have to lower the dose.. how much? else I have some bourbon (in this case does this add substantially to the final result? got some Evan Williams, Black Maple I can use in case) and that might do the trick as well right?
I've never used rum extract myself, but from what I've been reading while looking at what it was, it seems you'd need to halve the dose.
The rum flavours the batter quite a bit, but I suppose you could do without and it'd still be good.

Not sure what it could give with bourbon, as I'm not very fond of whiskeys.
I can think of many pastry/dessert recipes using rum, but none using whiskey (but the Irish coffee).
Is it even a thing?

Maiar_m

I've never used rum extract myself, but from what I've been reading while looking at what it was, it seems you'd need to halve the dose.
The rum flavours the batter quite a bit, but I suppose you could do without and it'd still be good.

Not sure what it could give with bourbon, as I'm not very fond of whiskeys.
I can think of many pastry/dessert recipes using rum, but none using whiskey (but the Irish coffee).
Is it even a thing?

Yeah, a strong chocolate cake with a large spoonful of whisky is worth it. You can also it for a cheesecake icing if you go with baileys. Think fondant au chocolat with that kind of icing, bim.

@Onkel, I like that watch.

Gibbo

Made Red Velvet cupcakes today. Is it just me or are Red Velvets overated taste-wise? It is pretty to look at, but I'm not particularly impressed by the taste.

CMcqN9Ul.jpg

Rookje

Made Red Velvet cupcakes today. Is it just me or are Red Velvets overated taste-wise? It is pretty to look at, but I'm not particularly impressed by the taste.

CMcqN9Ul.jpg
Cupcakes in general are pretty overrated.

Way better deserts out there, don't waste your carb quota on cupcakes.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Is it just me or are Red Velvets overated taste-wise?

Well, it can depend heavily on the recipe. True red velvet is all about that rich, tangy flavor because it should have vinegar, buttermilk, and sour cream in addition to a lower amount of cocoa than the standard chocolate cake.

Then again, some people just aren't into the somewhat unusual flavor profile! :)

Yes Boss!

We made some beef wellington on saturday. Used a nice loin that was pan-fried, then lathered it in mustard and horseradish, then wrapped wrapped it in prociutto, filo dough, a significant amount of fois gras pate and then a ton of duxelle (made with buttons and porcinis and shitakes and cognac and cream), then wrapped it in puff pastry and baked it all off. Pretty decadent. Cooked it to 125.

wellington_zps2e87f93c.jpg

We made some beef wellington on saturday. Used a nice loin that was pan-fried, then lathered it in mustard and horseradish, then wrapped wrapped it in prociutto, filo dough, a significant amount of fois gras pate and then a ton of duxelle (made with buttons and porcinis and shitakes and cognac and cream), then wrapped it in puff pastry and baked it all off. Pretty decadent. Cooked it to 125.

Hnnnnnnnnnnng

I've never actually made a Wellington, I am tempted though as that thing looks amazing.

CrankyJay

Banned

wellington_zps2e87f93c.jpg

I keep meaning to make this...I really need this in my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom