• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, the beef for mine was about $30 but all the extra stuff costs just about as much.

I usually get a pack of 2 pork tenderloins for 12-15 USD, frozen pastry dough (pack of 2) for maybe 6? Prosciutto costs maybe 8 for a pack, then just another couple bucks for fresh rosemary.

Ballin' on a budget

Blues1990

I've recently tried this recipe that I found, so I'm just sharing the love:

Onion & Beef Stew

Ingredients:

1 1/4 pounds stew beef, cut in 1-inch pieces
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cups sliced onions or 2 cups small pearl onions, peeled
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 2-inch piece cinnamon stick
1 1/3 cups dry red wine
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce

Instructions:
Brown the meat in hot olive oil in a heavy skillet. Remove the meat from the pan. Brown the onions and garlic. Add the other ingredients and stir well. Add the browned meat and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer, and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours or until the meat is very tender. Serve with Macaroni Athenian-Style & a green salad. Makes 4 servings.

(Note: This stew can easily be done in a slow cooker. Brown the meat, combine with other ingredients, and cook on low heat as the manufacture directs for any stew.)

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Question for you guys. I made a creamy smoked salmon pasta tonight, the sauce was just sauted mushrooms in butter with flour+milk and then mushrooms and peas. In future I think I'll get some tomato in there but the sauce didn't have a lot of flavour to it, lightly seasoned it with sea salt+pepper but it wasn't really enough.
What kind of stuff could I add to this particular sauce to give it a nice flavour with the salmon?

le-seb

What kind of stuff could I add to this particular sauce to give it a nice flavour with the salmon?
If I were you, I'd forget the tomato and try infusing some dill weed in a milk and cream mix (sadly for our figures: more fat, more taste).
Add a drop of lemon juice, pinches of salt and pepper, and you should be good.

Yes Boss!

What about the fois-gras?

Yeah, we did some fois-gras pate since it was cheaper and legal in my current state (as opposed to illegal in my home state of California) and I think it probably worked better anyways. The fois-gras definitely took it up to a crazy level.

Gibbo

Just wondering...anyone of you have any experience in setting up a coffee joint? Its something which ive thought about doing for quite sometime now.

Zyzyxxz

Just wondering...anyone of you have any experience in setting up a coffee joint? Its something which ive thought about doing for quite sometime now.

Do you like making money because you probably won't be making any.

Go to a respectable coffee shop and ask them, seriously. Think about how much you can charge for a hipster cup of coffee? Maybe $5 if you are in LA, New York, Chicago, etc. Now estimate how much rent will be. That's how much coffee you need to sell just to pay rent, now how about food cost, labor costs, plus other fees?

Only thing worse than running a restaurant is running a coffee shop. The modern state of the coffee business is unfortunately that you need to make money off something else in order to sell what you are passionate about which is similar to the current restaurant scene where selling alcohol is where the money is made and food doesn't do shit.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Question for you guys. I made a creamy smoked salmon pasta tonight, the sauce was just sauted mushrooms in butter with flour+milk and then mushrooms and peas. In future I think I'll get some tomato in there but the sauce didn't have a lot of flavour to it, lightly seasoned it with sea salt+pepper but it wasn't really enough.
a Splash of dry White Wine would complement the sauce a lot.

Go to a respectable coffee shop and ask them, seriously. Think about how much you can charge for a hipster cup of coffee? Maybe $5 if you are in LA, New York, Chicago, etc. Now estimate how much rent will be. That's how much coffee you need to sell just to pay rent, now how about food cost, labor costs, plus other fees?

Only thing worse than running a restaurant is running a coffee shop. The modern state of the coffee business is unfortunately that you need to make money off something else in order to sell what you are passionate about which is similar to the current restaurant scene where selling alcohol is where the money is made and food doesn't do shit.
couldn't have put it better.

Gibbo

These are all my concerns wrapped up in a single post really.

Cafes in my country are on the rise though- and have been for the previous few years. Cafes in the neighbourhood areas (where rent is pretty cheap) are an 'in' thing right now as well.

Having taken up baking in the past 2 years, ive become pretty aware of how low the margins on non beverage items are. Esp on stuff like cakes.

Mekere

Hey guys, I hope it's not frowned upon (if it is, tell me. I'll edit this post asap) but one of my friend is trying to find sponsor for a nifty baking concept (well, not for me as I don't bake much but some of you may enjoy it :p)

Bake On is a collection of screen printed, baking tea towels on which are featured step-by-step recipes. Basically, they are a new type of tea towels that allow you to bake directly on them. They feature (delicious) recipes of either cakes, cookies, cupcakes, frostings and muffins.

Presentation video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bEKrX4OzYg

And the Indiegogo campaign:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/bake-on-tea-towels

Thanks for her!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Made some mayonnaise! Wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, though I thought it split a couple of times, but it turned out ok in the end. Probably not the smoothest mayo ever made but still pretty good.

Hand-whisked too, which is kind of a pain. Also totally forgot that I needed white-wine vinegar, but I substituted it with rice wine vinegar.

Flavoured with horseradish but I couldn't sense much horseradish flavour from it.

iR8a5CunsRJFp.jpg

ilK45pqgaH1E1.jpg

Easy_G

Made some mayonnaise! Wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, though I thought it split a couple of times, but it turned out ok in the end. Probably not the smoothest mayo ever made but still pretty good.

Hand-whisked too, which is kind of a pain. Also totally forgot that I needed white-wine vinegar, but I substituted it with rice wine vinegar.

Flavoured with horseradish but I couldn't sense much horseradish flavour from it.

Looks great, what kind of oil did you use? The first time I made mayonnaise I made the mistake of using all olive oil. That stuff was hardcore tasting.

Finally got around to making eggs in purgatory (one of the numerous names it has). It was fresh tomatoes which I peeled, crushed and drained then sautéed with onions, garlic, red pepper flakes, and olives until thickened (about 30 minutes). Then just crack some eggs on top and cover until cooked. Topped with parmesan and basil. It's then eaten directly from the pan using toasted baguette. This is some seriously good comfort food.

le-seb

Gotta use that grapeseed!
As far as I can remember, I've always seen sunflower oil used to make mayonnaise.
I've read something about grapeseed oil being a better choice when your mayo has to be kept in the fridge, but as it's made with raw egg yolks, I wouldn't recommend keeping fresh mayo in the fridge more than 24 hours anyway.

Maiar_m

Looks good!

About cannelés, guys, don't underestimate the need for an oven that can bake at 250°C and keep constant enough heat, it does all the difference in the world. I tried twice in a small electric oven with less than air-tight doors, let's just say you're not going to get the best cannelés ever.

Antiwhippy

Looks great, what kind of oil did you use? The first time I made mayonnaise I made the mistake of using all olive oil. That stuff was hardcore tasting.

Yeah, I used olive oil, and while it's pretty overpowering I actually like the taste of olive oil so eh. Next time I well definitely use something more neutral though.

Used it to make potato salad. Had a spice marinated lamb chop to go with it.

i6ShYkCBJRaDh.jpg

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Steak and potatoes for lunch today. Felt well earned after working out for a couple of hours this morning.

The on the bone ribeye was just over a pound, and I had it marinading for around two days in a mix of olive oil, bourbon, Worchestershire sauce, maple syrup, garlic, and rosemary.

From room temperature, I pan fried the steak for 3 minutes each side, then finished alongside (well, above) the potatoes in the oven for 10 minutes, then rested for 10 minutes. First time I have ever finished a steak in the oven (I usually don't cook this sort of cut), and it really probably needed another 4 minutes or so in there as I had to throw part of it back into the pan halfway through the meal.

Not the best steak I have ever done, but I feel I can get good results from this method with a little more practice.

CrankyJay

Banned
Steak and potatoes for lunch today. Felt well earned after working out for a couple of hours this morning.

The on the bone ribeye was just over a pound, and I had it marinading for around two days in a mix of olive oil, bourbon, Worchestershire sauce, maple syrup, garlic, and rosemary.

From room temperature, I pan fried the steak for 3 minutes each side, then finished alongside (well, above) the potatoes in the oven for 10 minutes, then rested for 10 minutes. First time I have ever finished a steak in the oven (I usually don't cook this sort of cut), and it really probably needed another 4 minutes or so in there as I had to throw part of it back into the pan halfway through the meal.

Not the best steak I have ever done, but I feel I can get good results from this method with a little more practice.

Can also try it in reverse. Cook it in the oven to 5 degrees below desired donenesss then sear it.

le-seb

I was supposed to wake up early this morning and go to the market to buy some blueberries, but I was sleeping so well that it didn't happen.

So let's make a pizza, instead!

Home made dough simply covered with some tomato coulis and dried oregano:
I think it was the first time I was able to stretch the dough with my hands only. Neat!

To top the beast:
Some fresh onion, mushrooms, green pepper, artichokes marinated in fine herbs (Ponti's carciofini alle erbe fine is a treat!), olives, chorizo and Mozzarella di Bufala Campana.

Will it fit?
Yes!

Once cooked:

A shame I've cooked it a bit too much (when cooking at 270°C, you cannot really be one minute late).
Served with some arugula, it was delicious, anyway.

Edit : logistics 'forced' me to make another one, so, as we all need a second chance in life, I didn't messed up with the cooking time this time:
Much better, huh?

Looks great! One of these days I'll dive into artichokes, it's still one of those ingredients we never cook with.

Popsicles my eldest made from these insane silicon molds, aquatic themed. She did a passion-fruit tea infused lemonade for them:

popsicles.jpg

Frittata with zuchini, tomatoes, gruyere, garlic, etc., most of this from our garden and chickens:

frittata-zucchini.jpg

le-seb

Looks great! One of these days I'll dive into artichokes, it's still one of those ingredients we never cook with.
Thanks. Frankly, I'm no big fan of artichokes, mainly because they're a bit tiresome to eat when fresh (Coluche, one passed away French humorist said artichokes were a poor man's course : there's more left in your plate once eaten than before), but the hearts are really delicious, and go so well with salads (and pizzas, as you can see)!.

Frittata with zuchini, tomatoes, gruyere, garlic, etc., most of this from our garden and chickens:

frittata-zucchini.jpg
Looks tasty!

Oh well, sometimes I wish I lived in the country and could grow my veggies and raise my chickens.
At least, I'm living in a city nearby the mountains, with amazing products just waiting for me to buy them. ;)

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
quick sweet and sour buckwheat soba noodles with sesame-crusted tofu for dinner last night

IMG_2180_zpse169b716.jpg

and spent some time this afternoon making the momofuku grasshopper pie, which is pretty much ridic brownies with a layer of mint cheesecake

IMG_2184_zps04909b6e.jpg

Ok so a few weeks ago I'd asked Onkel for some advice as to what would be required for advice on how to furnish a student apartment's kitchen and I thought it wise to provide an update on the progress.

So far the kitchen consists of:

One swivel potato peeler, one tweezers (or a tweezer-like thing for meet, I forgot the name), a scissors, a broken chef's knife taken from my house, a large knife, a bread knife, a corkscrew opener, a bottle opener, four spoons with plastic handles (one not visible as I had been using it), two butter knives with plastic handles, two stainless steel knives, two stainless steel buter knives, a stainless steel fork (there is a second on the draining board but I can't remember if it's mine or one of my roommates' and they're not hear to ask them), four small spoons, five large spoons, a pizza slicer, a potato masher, a non-stick 28cm stainless steel pan, a 1 litre stainless steel pot and lid, a 3 litre stainless steel pot and lid, and a five litre stainless steel pot and lid (the pots and pan are an IKEA 365+ seven piece set). I've a thermometer as well which I forgot to include.

A Tefal induction hob (couldn't afford a second)

A Delta Toaster Oven (which is terrible even for €25 but it'll do for what I need it for)

And then these which came in the apartment:
A Russel Hobb toaster and kettle, a microwave, and four absolutely revoltingly disgusting and worn hobs which appear to have never been washed or cleaned that I have absolutely no intention of touching, let alone using, ever.

So with that brief rundown out of the way, with the equipment I have, does anybody have any recommendations as to what things I can very cheaply make? Currently I have a loaf of bread, butter, a bag of Rooster Potatoes, ten steaks, ten chicken fillets, and five pre-breaded chicken, sugar, black pepper, white pepper, Special K, milk, gravy and pepper sauce, cooking oil, a bag of rice that I got for free, and a loaf of homemade brown bread. I can last for about a month on these and, given that I take the meat from home, it provides some incredibly cheap meals (as I don't need to pay for the meat due to a familial connection, so a meal is the cost of a bag of potatoes divided by the number of potatoes after it has been divided by three roughly). My only real issue is that this has been my diet, more or less, for years, so I would really like to introduce more diversity into my diet in an affordable manner, if possible, but don't know where to start or what's actually nice. Another issue is that I've never used an induction hob before, so it's really throwing off all of my times. How long should I put a fillet steak on the hob for it to be medium rare, and on what setting? What about chicken fillets as normally I'd do them in an oven?

Another concern I have is more related to the cleaning aspect. I've had another cheap pan (red on the outside, with a metal lining thing on the bottom, and a white interior of what looks like ceramic material; I think it's this http://www.kmart.com/sandra-by-sandra-lee-red-8-inch-ceramic/p-011W005578058001P#desc but I'm not certain) that I was given by my grandmother but after cooking some (cheap) sausages, the centre of the pan is coated in a somewhat brown-ish layer and despite hours of scrubbing with steel wool and abrasive sponges in addition to three hours soaking in warm water full of washing up liquid, it simply is not coming off and it looks bad, particularly when after receiving it the centre was perfectly clear. What's the best way to ensure cookware is kept in a pristine condition when washing by hand (I haven't found 'baking soda' in any local stores; I'm in Ireland if that would affect the availability of the material), what do burns appear like versus simple grime, is it safe to use any material on an induction hob provided the base is magnetic (which is the only test I'd been doing until I purchased the IKEA equipment, which I'm apprehensive about using after this), and how do I adapt recipes so that they apply to an induction hob rather than a gas or ceramic one?

I've made steak with roast potatoes (done pathetically through the useless toaster oven, which took almost an hour and a half to properly roast them and even then they weren't remotely as tasty as they usually are) and intended to take a picture pior to eating, but there really wasn't much point as the steak wasn't cooked as well as I would have wanted (I was unprepared for just how quickly they cook due to an induction hob versus a ceramic hob).

Anyway I just want to extend my gratitude for this thread in providing me with some ideas from just browsing through it already, helping with the compilation of kitchen materials, and constantly making me very hungry.

Antiwhippy

Huh, I guess most people don't use cleavers do they?

Can't make do without one. Even for stuff like trimming vegetables. :p

Huh, I guess most people don't use cleavers do they?

Can't make do without one. Even for stuff like trimming vegetables. :p

I think it depends on what you're used to. I use a cleaver even though I mostly cook vegetarian stuff. It works great to move stuff from the cutting board to the pan, and I like the way it feels when slicing vegetables. We also have a couple of western style chef's knives, but I don't use them that often.

Antiwhippy

Yeah I just love sliding vegetable onto the blade. Probably my most used knife.

Also, father's day lunch! Made pork loin roast with crackling (not my best crackling effort though), cider glazed broccoli and brussel sprouts, and yorkshire pudding. With cider gravy to go with it.

Vnj4HlJl.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Ok so a few weeks ago I'd asked Onkel for some advice as to what would be required for advice on how to furnish a student apartment's kitchen and I thought it wise to provide an update on the progress.

So far the kitchen consists of:

One swivel potato peeler, one tweezers (or a tweezer-like thing for meet, I forgot the name), a scissors, a broken chef's knife taken from my house, a large knife, a bread knife, a corkscrew opener, a bottle opener, four spoons with plastic handles (one not visible as I had been using it), two butter knives with plastic handles, two stainless steel knives, two stainless steel buter knives, a stainless steel fork (there is a second on the draining board but I can't remember if it's mine or one of my roommates' and they're not hear to ask them), four small spoons, five large spoons, a pizza slicer, a potato masher, a non-stick 28cm stainless steel pan, a 1 litre stainless steel pot and lid, a 3 litre stainless steel pot and lid, and a five litre stainless steel pot and lid (the pots and pan are an IKEA 365+ seven piece set). I've a thermometer as well which I forgot to include.

A Tefal induction hob (couldn't afford a second)

A Delta Toaster Oven (which is terrible even for €25 but it'll do for what I need it for)

And then these which came in the apartment:

A Russel Hobb toaster and kettle, a microwave, and four absolutely revoltingly disgusting and worn hobs which appear to have never been washed or cleaned that I have absolutely no intention of touching, let alone using, ever.

So with that brief rundown out of the way, with the equipment I have, does anybody have any recommendations as to what things I can very cheaply make? Currently I have a loaf of bread, butter, a bag of Rooster Potatoes, ten steaks, ten chicken fillets, and five pre-breaded chicken, sugar, black pepper, white pepper, Special K, milk, gravy and pepper sauce, cooking oil, a bag of rice that I got for free, and a loaf of homemade brown bread. I can last for about a month on these and, given that I take the meat from home, it provides some incredibly cheap meals (as I don't need to pay for the meat due to a familial connection, so a meal is the cost of a bag of potatoes divided by the number of potatoes after it has been divided by three roughly). My only real issue is that this has been my diet, more or less, for years, so I would really like to introduce more diversity into my diet in an affordable manner, if possible, but don't know where to start or what's actually nice. Another issue is that I've never used an induction hob before, so it's really throwing off all of my times. How long should I put a fillet steak on the hob for it to be medium rare, and on what setting? What about chicken fillets as normally I'd do them in an oven?

Another concern I have is more related to the cleaning aspect. I've had another cheap pan (red on the outside, with a metal lining thing on the bottom, and a white interior of what looks like ceramic material; I think it's this http://www.kmart.com/sandra-by-sandra-lee-red-8-inch-ceramic/p-011W005578058001P#desc but I'm not certain) that I was given by my grandmother but after cooking some (cheap) sausages, the centre of the pan is coated in a somewhat brown-ish layer and despite hours of scrubbing with steel wool and abrasive sponges in addition to three hours soaking in warm water full of washing up liquid, it simply is not coming off and it looks bad, particularly when after receiving it the centre was perfectly clear. What's the best way to ensure cookware is kept in a pristine condition when washing by hand (I haven't found 'baking soda' in any local stores; I'm in Ireland if that would affect the availability of the material), what do burns appear like versus simple grime, is it safe to use any material on an induction hob provided the base is magnetic (which is the only test I'd been doing until I purchased the IKEA equipment, which I'm apprehensive about using after this), and how do I adapt recipes so that they apply to an induction hob rather than a gas or ceramic one?

I've made steak with roast potatoes (done pathetically through the useless toaster oven, which took almost an hour and a half to properly roast them and even then they weren't remotely as tasty as they usually are) and intended to take a picture pior to eating, but there really wasn't much point as the steak wasn't cooked as well as I would have wanted (I was unprepared for just how quickly they cook due to an induction hob versus a ceramic hob).

Anyway I just want to extend my gratitude for this thread in providing me with some ideas from just browsing through it already, helping with the compilation of kitchen materials, and constantly making me very hungry.

You are already ahead of the game compared to most people at least your pots and pans are decent (ikea shit is not bad to be honest). There's no excuse to why you can't make great food you just need to adjust your timings and techniques to make use of lower tier equipment but then again I've done amazing food with nothing but a shitty gas burner and toaster oven.

You should give this a try: http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/low-temp-oven-steak/

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I made some pan seared scallops with creamy mash, bacon, sage and some lemon juice this evening. I've never even eaten a scallop before so this could have been a disaster but outside of one or two slightly chewy parts I think I did a decent job, for a first time at the very least. I enjoyed the scallops but without the juices from the pan they were a touch plain. Is that just a feature of the scallops?

le-seb

I made some pan seared scallops with creamy mash, bacon, sage and some lemon juice this evening. I've never even eaten a scallop before so this could have been a disaster but outside of one or two slightly chewy parts I think I did a decent job, for a first time at the very least. I enjoyed the scallops but without the juices from the pan they were a touch plain. Is that just a feature of the scallops?
May depend on their kind and origin, but scallops I've been used to eat since my childhood are super tasty, and adding pinches of salt and pepper and a dash of lemon juice are enough to prepare them.
But your way to prepare them sounds rather interesting!

If I had to guess, I'd say the chewiness probably comes from overcooking them a bit.
They're a kind of sea food you should hardly seal in your pan, like 20-30 seconds on each side.

Made a really tall layer cake with white and dark chocolates:

5DB65C20-C579-487B-A339-E1D9EC2239C7_zpsnyrq8rs0.jpg

Nnnnggg... out of chocolate... in house... grrrrrr.

Tofu sauteed and stir fried in coconut oil with the usual savories, brussel sprouts, mushrooms. Over rice with a fresh cilantro garnish. This was... really... good. Really good.

tofu-sprouts-cilantro.jpg

Based off a recipe in Ottolenghi's Plenty.

Nnnnggg... out of chocolate... in house... grrrrrr.

Tofu sauteed and stir fried in coconut oil with the usual savories, brussel sprouts, mushrooms. Over rice with a fresh cilantro garnish. This was... really... good. Really good.

tofu-sprouts-cilantro.jpg

Based off a recipe in Ottolenghi's Plenty.

The tofu looks great. I have that book too, so maybe I'll look at the recipe. I've never cooked anything out of it because his ingredient lists are always so long and have such esoteric things in them.

zbarron

Hello. I bought this beautiful roast at the Butcher this weekend but the guy's English wasn't very good and it was just called something like "Big Boy Roast" I took pictures and was wondering if anyone here had the expertise to tell me what kind of cut it is. Thanks. I know it's a weird question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom