• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GiJoccin

your bread looks awesome! i love bread baking

it looks just a tad bit under-cooked (thought that's probably just cutting it before it cools...), and the air bubbles aren't as big as i would expect from a high hydration dough - to get big bubbles you need a few things, you want a high temp, you want more water, and you want developed gluten

the holes are basically water that evaporates and leaves behind a space, and these holes will deflate if the dough isn't developed enough. reading through that recipe, it doesn't call for letting the dough hang out overnight, which really helps develop flavor!

if you are so inclined, try this recipe: http://www.sullivanstreetbakery.com/recipes

i spent a lot of time working on making bread at home, and that's a recipe i settled on. it's super easy, basically mix the ingredients, put it in a bowl, let it hang out overnight, and then cook in a pre-heated dutch oven. no kneading required, the auto-lyse takes care of the kneading for you! great flavor, great structure, makes a nice, rustic loaf

zbarron

your bread looks awesome! i love bread baking

it looks just a tad bit under-cooked (thought that's probably just cutting it before it cools...), and the air bubbles aren't as big as i would expect from a high hydration dough - to get big bubbles you need a few things, you want a high temp, you want more water, and you want developed gluten

the holes are basically water that evaporates and leaves behind a space, and these holes will deflate if the dough isn't developed enough. reading through that recipe, it doesn't call for letting the dough hang out overnight, which really helps develop flavor!

if you are so inclined, try this recipe: http://www.sullivanstreetbakery.com/recipes

i spent a lot of time working on making bread at home, and that's a recipe i settled on. it's super easy, basically mix the ingredients, put it in a bowl, let it hang out overnight, and then cook in a pre-heated dutch oven. no kneading required, the auto-lyse takes care of the kneading for you! great flavor, great structure, makes a nice, rustic loaf

15086392049_5d5a3b21c5_h.jpg

Thank you for all of the constructive advice. Honestly 2 major changes were made to the boule pictured. I've never done an auto-lyse dough before and without thinking immediately added the yeast mixture. Because of that it didn't have basically any foundation and was very sticky and wet to the point where it was almost a batter. To counter this I tried the stretch and fold technique for about 2 minutes every 45 minutes until it had more of a body. Also this first loaf lacked the final refrigerated rise. I just stuck it straight in the oven. My wife was home and ready for dinner and it seemed fairly gassy already. Plus my basket only fit one of the loaves so only the second one got the final rise. I also agree it needed to be cooked longer but was cautious and took it out early since this is my first one. The second one I let go a little darker but perhaps this one was early as well. I'm cutting it tomorrow morning and will post a picture of the inside then. My guess is it will be less dense just by picking it up it seems less heavy for it's size compared to the other one.

I'll definitely try that recipe out and post results some time. It sounds fun. It's getting colder here in Ohio so it's the season for fresh bread and home made soups.

zbarron

Made a Chocoflan cake.
Yum. That looks decadent.
Ha, that is pretty badass for a kitchen tool.

I baked a random rum cake. No reason at all to make it, just...a wild rum cake appearance.
Thanks.

That's a damn fine rum cake. My wife's eyes got big.

Wait...how did I miss this gloriously sexual piece of work? Wow.
I'm actually wondering that myself. I stared at that thing for like 5 minutes.

As far as the second loaf, it turned out to have a much more open crumb.
15086938247_8f9764c6f4_h.jpg

15086944278_633362f530_h.jpg

Very nice. How many hours did that take? It looks mouth-watering.

Thanks. It took us 6 hours total. Three hours regular smoking,two hours smoked in foil,1 last hour regular smoking. This method made them super tender in the end. I enjoy all your pics as well,keep up the excellent work!

zbarron

I just got back with my latest Goodwill find. My problem is I don't really know what this is and if it can survive an Oven at 500F
15283224915_5aa9bb6015_c.jpg

15096526950_b14d8043e1_c.jpg

My best guess is it's some sort of pot with a lid and research is leading me to believe its a stoneware that should be fine at oven temps but I was curious if anyone had a better idea. If it can't go in the oven I will probably use it as a ceramic bread box or something.

Yes Boss!

Looks good! How was it?

Really awesome! I was afraid it was gonna be a bit too chunky but not the case...everything tender. Really impressed. Considering there was no eggs or butter or milk in it. If I change anything I'll double the glaze portions as mine was coated but did not set up whitish. More like a quick wash. I love the technique of putting it back in the oven with the glaze to set it up and seal it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Really awesome! I was afraid it was gonna be a bit too chunky but not the case...everything tender. Really impressed. Considering there was no eggs or butter or milk in it. If I change anything I'll double the glaze portions as mine was coated but did not set up whitish. More like a quick wash. I love the technique of putting it back in the oven with the glaze to set it up and seal it.

Sounds good! I'll see if I can make it in a few days.

Yes Boss!

That looks like it has a nice, spiced up bite to it. Really good. The sauce is making me feel nice just looking at it lol

It was nicely spiced. Called for 1/8 teaspoon both cinnamon and nutmeg. I did about 1/4 teaspoon of each but used ground whole nutmeg and ground cinnamon stick since I have those on hand for my indian cooking.

Need some quick help, chefs. Have a function tonight that I have to bring some food to. I roasted a pork tenderloin and I'm planning on slicing it thin and serving it as a small sandwich on baguette. I was going to top it with caramelized onions and raw apples. Is it going to be too sweet with the onions like that? Should I go raw or none? I don't have a ton of time to grab anything else. Glaze for the pork was a bit of honey, soy, dijon, apple cider vinegar, cumin, pepper, and thyme. Please help!

le-seb

Was about to say 'add some raisins', and then read it's about being too sweet.
Sounds good, I don't think it'll end too sweet.

If anything, I think I'd roast the apples a little in butter to soften them a bit and add some raisins too, for the crispy effect.

zbarron

No idea if this will work or not, but what about caramelizing the onions and apples together and make a kind of chutney or something?

Was about to say 'add some raisins', and then read it's about being too sweet.
Sounds good, I don't think it'll end too sweet.

If anything, I think I'd roast the apples a little in butter to soften them a bit and add some raisins too, for the crispy effect.

Both of these are great ideas. I don't think it would be too sweet especially if you use a granny smith which tends to run more tart and sour but if you have time to grab shallots in place of the onion since they are far less sweet and almost have a garlicy taste which would work well with the sauce described.

le-seb

Both of these are great ideas. I don't think it would be too sweet especially if you use a granny smith which tends to run more tart and sour but if you have time to grab shallots in place of the onion since they are far less sweet and almost have a garlicy taste which would work well with the sauce described.
Yummy yeah !
Brown shallots in butter and deglaze with the apple cider vinegar.

Thanks guys! They were granny smith apples. Should have mentioned that. Ended up caramelizing the onions as you all suggested. The sandwiches were a hit! Perfect little bites at the type of function that tends to lack protein options.

Vazduh

I don't think it's healthy making pizza at least once a week, but I just can't resist it.

Made regular pizza dough (all-purpose flour, dry yeast, sugar, a generous pinch of salt, water and some oil) and topped it with ham, peppers, onions and edam cheese. Used mom's homemade ketchup.

I don't think it's healthy making pizza at least once a week, but I just can't resist it.

Made regular pizza dough (all-purpose flour, dry yeast, sugar, a generous pinch of salt, water and some oil) and topped it with ham, peppers, onions and edam cheese. Used mom's homemade ketchup.
I respect this. Pizza dough, for whatever reason, has been impossible for me to make. I've tried three times, and it's gotten progressively worse each time lol. I'll gladly buy a slice of the delicious looking one you've made.

Vazduh

Thanks, guys! I think there's some left, I should send you a piece :D

abstract alien, I was like that at first. It took me many, many tries until I learned how to make a good dough. It's best to practice on smaller amounts of flour at first until you get it, and after then you won't have problems.

What I've learned only recently (and it's quite embarrassing since I should have known that) was that the dough turns out differently depending on the altitude you live in. So, based on that, the dough will rise faster/slower, plus you also have to adjust the amount of liquid. Maybe that's one of the reasons why your dough doesn't turn out well? The link explains it much better than I would, tbh.

le-seb

Pizza dough, for whatever reason, has been impossible for me to make. I've tried three times, and it's gotten progressively worse each time lol.
How so?
Is it because you don't like kneading the dough, or something?

I remember being mad at my first tries, because I hate when the dough sticks to my fingers.
Nowadays, I just make sure I'll be able to spend 5-10 minutes without being able to use my hands for something else, and that I also have some flour at hand reach, ready to use (out of its box or bag).
And then, I start mixing the ingredients and kneading, and just keep adding handfuls of flour as long as the dough is still sticking my hands. And when it doesn't stick anymore, it means the dough's ready (but you can keep kneading it a bit if you like it, the more, the better).

MrBig

I respect this. Pizza dough, for whatever reason, has been impossible for me to make. I've tried three times, and it's gotten progressively worse each time lol. I'll gladly buy a slice of the delicious looking one you've made.

Here's a writeup I've been working on for the GAF learns to cook thread, hopefully it helps. That thread seems to have died down but I'll actually post it here or there when I get all of the pictures I want for it

zbarron

Bravo! I love home made pizza. Confession, I've used store bought frozen pizza dough before and it did turn out pretty damn good. The dough was like $0.80 so on a busy day sometimes I can't justify the time commitment.
I'd give this recipe a try.
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/01/the-pizza-lab-the-worlds-easiest-pizza-no-knead-no-stretch-pan-pizza.html
I'm a huge fan of Kenji and I can vouch for this recipe. Give it a shot if you have a cast iron skillet.

I've made personal sized pizzas several times. My son likes to help shape.
15116485448_097670e90a_b.jpg

15116300159_50276a562e_b.jpg

15116464488_f0571ddcc7_b.jpg

15116471458_7bb0ab0cf2_b.jpg

15280019346_a2fc677268_b.jpg

My project today was a sourdough with wheat flour instead of rye since I had none.
I made 4 small loaves. I'll freeze what I don't eat so I have bread for the week. It was a 6 hour recipe so not something I'd like to do every other day.
15116279450_b488a9ba3d_b.jpg

15116395788_a4484fbc30_b.jpg

Such nice looking pizzas---personal pan renditions are ideal for experimentation!

I wonder if there are smaller cast iron skillets out there that folks (could) to make "little" chicago-style deep dish pizzas actually intended for one person to eat as a meal in one sitting as opposed to a team effort...

Also, with great and powerful bias, pizza at least once a week is surely healthy as the world is at your fingertips as far as what precisely you make it out of and the method as to how it is cooked---myriad cheeses, meats, veggies, herb/spices/seasonings, sauces, dough constitutions, oils....

MrBig

I wonder if there are smaller cast iron skillets out there that folks (could) to make "little" chicago-style deep dish pizzas actually intended for one person to eat as a meal in one sitting as opposed to a team effort...

Older skillets like those made by griswold came in many sizes, ebay, garage sales, thrift shops, and flea markets are great sources for them. Though it does look like Lodge makes a 5" skillet if their standard 8" is too big for what you're thinking of.

zbarron

Such nice looking pizzas---personal pan renditions are ideal for experimentation!

Also, with great and powerful bias, pizza at least once a week is surely healthy as the world is at your fingertips as far as what precisely you make it out of and the method as to how it is cooked---myriad cheeses, meats, veggies, herb/spices/seasonings, sauces, dough constitutions, oils....

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-LMS3-Miniature-Skillet-3-5-inch/dp/B000LXA9YI
3.5" is pretty small.

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L5MS3-Mini-Skillet-5-inch/dp/B001KOUGU4
5" would probably be appropriate for what you had in mind.

The one pictured isn't huge. I used an 8" skillet.

Nifty!

Of course, I say this, but what deep dish I can get around here is essentially a "me" sized portion with one quarter'ish of it left for lunch the next day, as cold deep dish is actually a fair bit different to fresh and goes amazingly well with a crisp red apple...

I can also tend to disappear a medium-large classic styled pizza on my own as well, so, yeah.

Had an extra loaf of brioche, so I made a couple of blueberry white chocolate brioche bread puddings tonight.

~ money shot ~
ibzqZqqRt0QZEh.gif

taken by your example i made mine :p
brioche loaf bread
ananas
golden raisin
fresh redberries put on top when almost done, so they didn't "overcook" but they still "melt" in the mouth..
best eaten with some additional whipped cream or some "melted" nutella (or hazelnut chocolate of preference)..
tastes divine :)
10543015_1470724696548805_538763650_n.jpg

in the photo the pudding was in "puffed up" phase, 30 mins later it deflated an look muuuch nicer :)
the "darker" area are because on the top on the pudding i layed some "string" of white chocolate and then poured on the top some more "cream" i used for the pudding.. unfortunately I hoped that the cream would "overshadow" the chocolate (that went to a darker colour) but that didn't happen and so you see some "darker" area ;_;
one must always fail a bit :|

next sunday i'll tackle i think pastiera napoletana (sort of a cheesecake with ricotta cheese and the outside appeareance which is a mixture of baked tart and a german cheesecake.. i lack any better comparison because outside of italy i've never seen anything like this in appareance defined as a "local" thing)..
should be something like this:
5640100499_10febd7b42_z-360x230.jpg

n0n44m

havent done much cooking lately except for pizza ... might have some more time next month !

anyway skillet (cast iron by Lodge, 26cm square) pizza (baked on a wirerack in the oven)

And regular hand stretched (baked on a steel plate in the oven), first on regular heat second with the broiler turned on. Larger than normally because I couldn't be bothered making three or four regular sized ones.

simple dough recipe is ; 500 g flour, 350g water, 16g salt, very small amount of yeast, mix until smooth, cover and rise for up to 18 hours, divide and form balls, let balls rise for an hour, form pizza by hand (based on http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/jim-laheys-no-knead-pizza-dough-recipe.html)

for the Skillet dough I did the same but with only 200 g flour (adjust the rest accordingly). Also added some sugar, and replaced some of the water with olive oil. I flattened the ball of dough in the oiled skillet before the final 1 hour rise.

anyone who has trouble handling the dough isn't using enough flour. Use lots of flour on your working surface :)

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
next sunday i'll tackle i think pastiera napoletana (sort of a cheesecake with ricotta cheese and the outside appeareance which is a mixture of baked tart and a german cheesecake..

I've tried this from a nearby Italian bakery a few times (it's simply called a ricotta tart there, fwiw). Theirs has small nibs of dark chocolate and orange zest in the ricotta, which is really nice, but too much crust. I might take a swing at making one sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom